bridgetgirl

Diet Do's and Dont's

32 posts in this topic

I copied this from MSN website. I thought it was pretty interesting and made lots of sense!

Everybody wants a quick fix, and as we all know, they are pretty hard to come by and usually too good to be true. There is, however, a simple way to fix up your diet that will help you get healthy and lose weight.

All you have to do is add five food items and subtract five others. And you can do it at your own pace, in your own way. You don't have to add and subtract these foods immediately, but the sooner you make these changes the sooner you'll see good results.

If you're already eating some of the "add" items, just add the rest. If one or two of the items is a complete impossibility for you, go to the nearest possible substitute.

If you've already subtracted some of the "remove" items, just subtract the rest. If you've cut back on a given item but haven't done away with all of it, see if you can raise the bar and eliminate even more.

Even a week of diligence on this plan should yield some results.

Five Items to Add:

Fiber. Do this one gradually or you may get some (harmless) gas while your body adjusts to the new higher level. Great sources of fiber: vegetables, fruits and beans.

Raw vegetables. Add these on a daily basis not only for the rich phytonutrient and vitamin and mineral content but for the enzyme content as well. Raw, freshly made vegetable juice definitely counts.

Berries. The reasons berries are beneficial for your health could fill an entire column. Trust me.

Nuts. A serving is a quarter-cup. Pistachios, raw almonds or cashews, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, pecans, you name it. They're packed with good fat and protein, but don't overdo it. Consider scattering them on a salad and you can take care of two items (nuts and raw veggies) in one.

Protein at every meal. Make it fish at least twice a week, preferably more. Fried (anything) does not count.

Five Items to Subtract:

Pasta.

Most bread. Unless it is honest-to-God, certified, authenticated whole-grain bread (which is not the brown junk in the supermarket masquerading as health food). Even then, I would prefer you limit it to one to two slices a day, tops.

Commercial cereals. This includes anything in a cute box with the word "crunchy" on it. Read the ingredients. If you find more than five grams of sugar, put it down. Real steel-cut, non-instant oatmeal is not in this category, by the way, so eat up.

Sodas, even diet sodas.

Packaged cookies, cakes, pies, crackers and desserts. I know this is the killer one, but bite the bullet and try it for a week. Don't think of it as a "diet," think of it as an experiment. You want to see what happens if you remove a couple of harmless-sounding compounds like sugar and hydrogenated fat from your diet, just to see? Try it. Maybe nothing will come of it. Maybe you'll lose weight.

Hmmm that was interesting and a good idea, thanks Bridget.

Sindi

open 12/10/02

298/167/145

Thanks mucho Bridget!

Very interesting. Good ideas. I'm 3 years out from my surgery date, and still have 35 pounds to lose. I was morbidly obese at 321 lbs, and at age 61 knew that if I didn't have this surgery, my life wasn't worth much, against my childrens' wishes I went ahead with the RouenY (sp). Because I was so heavy my knees gave out on me, causing me to have total knee joint replacement surgery on both knees. Obviously I wasn't able to do much in the way of exercise and walking so my weight loss slowed to a halt at 200, so now I'm back in a way to where I was before the surgery as far as trying to find a way to lose those extra lbs. I am able to do water aerobics for exercise, but walking is still a energy taker for me, as I also have asthma. I am very grateful for the 120 lbs. lost, but would love to be able to lose the other 35. My pouch has never been restricted to 2-3 ounces of food. I can still eat a "regular" meal. Which is a major problem.

Very interesting. Good ideas. I'm 3 years out from my surgery date, and still have 35 pounds to lose. I was morbidly obese at 321 lbs, and at age 61 knew that if I didn't have this surgery, my life wasn't worth much, against my childrens' wishes I went ahead with the RouenY (sp). Because I was so heavy my knees gave out on me, causing me to have total knee joint replacement surgery on both knees. Obviously I wasn't able to do much in the way of exercise and walking so my weight loss slowed to a halt at 200, so now I'm back in a way to where I was before the surgery as far as trying to find a way to lose those extra lbs. I am able to do water aerobics for exercise, but walking is still a energy taker for me, as I also have asthma. I am very grateful for the 120 lbs. lost, but would love to be able to lose the other 35. My pouch has never been restricted to 2-3 ounces of food. I can still eat a "regular" meal. Which is a major problem.

Welcome and great to hear from you. let us know how we can help you in any way to lose those last 35..... we are all about getting together and doing the damn thing! Best wishes!

Thanks Bridget. My older daughter's name is Bridget too. I am re reading pouch rules for dummies hoping to get jump started toward losing at least 5 lbs., I know I need to exercise more, but have been unmotivated to do much, have the blahs!!!!! Seemingly hungry all the time. I eat a regular meal 3 times a day, but most trouble comes with late night snacking. Old habits are hard to break!!!

hey there -- i get the late nighters too; i had been to a doc for accupuncture on my back and was telling her that was one of my problems. she said it was blood sugar getting low (i was waking up hungry late at night). her suggestion was a low carb protein drink before bed. the one i have is 100 cal's, 1 net carb, 15gr protein, soy. rather 100 cals than the little bites of this and that that add up! good luck

nancy 250/140/125

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Hey Bridget! Thanks for posting that information. I'm soooo gonna try this. I finally got off my plateau and I need a serious kick to get the weightloss in gear again. The hardest part will be the pasta. I wonder if real whole wheat pasta is acceptable (since whole wheat bread is okay as long as it's minimal in portion size).

Love ya! Annette

5 mos. & 105 lbs down

Found this on Amys journey, others have told me this is helpful after the first six months.

Pouch Rules (Please read credits at the end)

INTRODUCTION:

A common misunderstanding of gastric bypass surgery is that the pouch causes weight loss because it is so small, the patient eats less. Although that is true for the first six months, that is not how it works. Some doctors have assumed that poor weight loss in some patients is because they aren't really trying to lose weight. The truth is it may be because they haven't learned how to get the "satisfied" feeling of being full to last long enough.

HYPOTHESIS OF POUCH FUNCTION:

We have four educated guesses as to how the pouch works:

1) Weight loss occurs by actually "slightly stretching" the pouch with food at each meal or;

2) Weight loss occurs by keeping the pouch tiny through never ever overstuffing or;

3) Weight loss occurs until the pouch gets worn out and regular eating begins or;

4) Weight loss occurs with education on the use of the pouch.

PUBLISHED DATA:

How does the pouch make you feel full?

The nerves tell the brain the pouch is distended and that cuts off hunger with a feeling of fullness.

What is the fate of the pouch? Does it enlarge? If it does, is it because the operation was bad, or the patient is overstuffing themselves, or does the pouch actually re-grow in a healing attempt to get back to normal?

For ten years, I had patients eat until full with cottage cheese every three months, and report the amount of cottage cheese they were able to eat before feeling full. This gave me an idea of the size of their pouch at three month intervals. I found there was a regular growth in the amount of intake of every single pouch. The average date the pouch stopped growing was two years. After the second year, all pouches stopped growing. Most pouches ended at 6 oz., with some as large at 9-10 ozs.

We then compared the weight loss of people with the known pouch size of each person, to see if the pouch size made a difference. In comparing the large pouches to the small pouches, THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE IN PERCENTAGE OF WEIGHT LOSS AMONG THE PATIENTS. This important fact essentially shows that it is NOT the size of the pouch but how it is used that makes weight loss maintenance possible.

OBSERVATIONAL BASED MEDICINE:

The information here is taken from surgeon's "observations" as opposed to "blind" or "double blind" studies,

but it IS based on 33 years of physician observation.

Due to lack of insurance coverage for WLS, what originally seemed like a serious lack of patients to observe, turned into an advantage as I was able to follow my patients closely. The following are what I found to effect how the pouch works:

1. Getting a sense of fullness is the basis of successful WLS.

2. Success requires that a small pouch is created with a small outlet.

3. Regular meals larger than 1

JenMit, Janine315, BrigidD and 2 others like this

Wow! That was awesome! This is worth printing!

Gwen, if you see this...maybe we should add this to the newbie thread. This is GREAT information!

Thanks, everybody!

-Mike

Thanks , I thought it was very imformative. Bernadette

Wow! That was awesome! This is worth printing!

Gwen, if you see this...maybe we should add this to the newbie thread. This is GREAT information!

Thanks, everybody!

-Mike

Mike, are you talking about Bridget's original post or the Pouch Rules for Dummies?

XXX

Mike, are you talking about Bridget's original post or the Pouch Rules for Dummies?

XXX

The other post has the same Pouch Rules, but I think Bridget's Five things to Add/Subtract list is good too. I was just thinking this info is good, and shouldn't be left to lie around and disappear! Whichever you think is better, though...

-Mike

Bridget - Thanks for posting this....I have a NEED to subtract out that last one. Girl Scout cookies are (well, :o, all cookies) my biggest downfall. I am really horrible about eating nothing EXCEPT the stuff I shouldn't. Meaning...I will go the entire day, eat 8 cookies and three pieces of string cheese and nothing else. IT SUCKS, IT'S HORRIBLE and I am gaining weight. I have the control of a knat...and I really needed a good slap in the face to get my priorites strait. This article is a nice wake up call! Thank you...I feel like you posted this strictly for me....:eek:

The other post has the same Pouch Rules, but I think Bridget's Five things to Add/Subtract list is good too. I was just thinking this info is good, and shouldn't be left to lie around and disappear! Whichever you think is better, though...

-Mike

.... the Pouch Rules is already part of my thread but I agree Bridget's post is very good - even though it dates back to 2005 ;)

Updating Newbie Thread now:p and thanks for always pointing people in that direction Mike

XXX

Wow and oldie but goodie resurfaced!

i find thjat when people start gaining weight its because they arent practicing basics. Basics like planning your meals. Dont eat in front of the TV or in your car. Even if you eat fast food, make sure you plan to do so and make it healthy. With the weight concious society there is really no excuse to order crap food at the drive thru.

Eat 3, 4, 5 times a day but make them planned! I eat at 8, 10:30, 12:30, 3:30 and then 6pm I have dinner. breakfast yogurt and a banana or a protein bar. 10:30 string cheese or apple. lunch salad, left overs, whatever-carb concious for sure. 3:30 string cheese, fruit or maybe even some pretzels. Dinner sensible high protein and veggie low carbs and starches. I try not to eat in the car, if i do its my planned snack. I find when you eat in the car or in front of the TV you dont enjoy or remeber what you eay and you dont feel satisfied. Dieting and maintenance is all mind games. Plan, plan, plan is all I can share with everyone that has helped me keep my weight off, good luck peeps!

Lidia6321 and ladyv808 like this

bummped it, some folks need this!

I am almost 7 years out and have maintained most of my weight loss but have found a few pounds creeping back....I am now seeing a psychologist who specializes in WLS patients and found the 5 Day Pouch Test on this website. I am so grateful that I just took the time to look on this site and find some encouragement, help and HOPE. I don't want to backslide and now that I know others are struggling, I feel a lot better...please to start the 5 Day Pouch Test very soon and as the little engine said "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can". Does anyone out there have any input as to whether the support groups help someone so far out from surgery. What I do know is that since my procedure was done in the infancy of WLS, I don't there was enough information, help and knowledge as there is now.

I would do the procedure in a New York minute.

I live in California and my procedure was done by the wonderful Dr. Callery.

Please...any thoughts, input, encouragement.

Open RNY

1/7/2002

Highest 320 lbs

Current 203

But I want it to be back under 170...I know I can do it.

Love to all

I will be 5 years out in Feb. Support group have been the essential factor with keeping my weight off. having to be accountable to people every month, as well as watching others peoples examples of what NOT to do halp tremendously as well to stay on track.

So to answer your question, support group helps. It helps for all stages, you just have to make sure you are with the right kind of group with great leadership.

Good luck!

LemonZest likes this

glad this got bumped! Awesome info!

HOw was your pouch able to hold a regular meal? Did they mess something up? I am having surgery the 29th of december and I am getting very nervous. Was the surgery worth it?

Hey Nancy! Share the brand name on that protein drink with only 1 carb and all that protein!

I, also, have a protein drink at bedtime, (Chike banana) and it sure stops the cravings for junk.

Rose

Lap RNY 05/08/08

I have gotten into having my last protein drink of the day right before bed. I am only 16 days post op and not getting hugery, but it just seemed a good idea to put something i there. Before i started doing this, when i would wake and start to drink my water in the morning i was getting nauseous.

Wow! Thanks for posting all that information.. its very beneficial!