• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. David Dyer
  • Start Weight:301
  • Current Weight:164
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:03/31/2008

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

I am almost 8 weeks out and my left side hurts like hell... I mean it burns....enough to almost bring tears? I went to the ER last week and they did CAT scans and xrays...but all they found was I had a kidney infection? I am currently taking the antibiotics for that ....and some days its not so bad ... but sometimes I mean it prevents me from going to work... they gave me some loritab but I mean ...how long can I take that ? I want to be off pain meds..... has anyone had this issue?

I am pretty sure its muscle related because if I am still its fine... it when I miove that it feels like someone is stabbing a hot poker into my side???
Century Club 11/2/2008
Onderland 11/3/2008
You can think of a million reasons to hate yourself today.... or you can be original and focus on one reason to love yourself. (manda2008)
N O T O R I O U S MANDABEAR!!

#2 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

I am almost 8 weeks out and my left side hurts like hell... I mean it burns....enough to almost bring tears? I went to the ER last week and they did CAT scans and xrays...but all they found was I had a kidney infection? I am currently taking the antibiotics for that ....and some days its not so bad ... but sometimes I mean it prevents me from going to work... they gave me some loritab but I mean ...how long can I take that ? I want to be off pain meds..... has anyone had this issue?

I am pretty sure its muscle related because if I am still its fine... it when I miove that it feels like someone is stabbing a hot poker into my side???

Amanda, I didn't have that issue post-op but have heard of others who complained about the left sided pain. It could be a muscle pain due to the fact that the doctor does the most manipulation in that far left incision. Kidney infections can be pretty painful too so I wouldn't totally rule that out as at least part of the reason you are having pain. Don't be afraid to take the Loritab if you need it. If you don't want to take that at least take Tylenol. Do it pretty much around the clock but make sure you don't take any more than 4000 mg in a 24 hour period. Also, remember that Loritab has Tylenol in it. Your pain is going to be better controlled if you are taking something pretty consistently instead of waiting for the pain to get to a level that you are having a hard time. You don't want the peaks and valleys when it comes to your pain medication. You want a steady stream of pain medication in your system.

In the meantime what you can also do is use ice packs to the area or sometimes if you alternate heat and cold packs it helps.

If the pain is from your kidney infection usually you should see some kind of improvement in 48-72 hours.

Also, keep an eye on your incisions. If you note any redness, warmth, swelling or increased tenderness in a specific area you will want to let your doctor know.
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#3 bridgetgirl

bridgetgirl

Friend of TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA
  • Surgeon:The Great Charles Callery MD
  • Hospital:Pomerado Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:300
  • Current Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):15
  • Surgery Date:02/09/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hey Amanda, Im piggy backing on what Beth said. If you had your procedure lap, this is common but it will go away. Also when the pain comes on, if you reposition yourself it should go away. Does it? This too shall pass sugar pea.
J.Bridget Fisher
Find me on facebook; bridget.fisher
Twitter: bridget_fisher

[email protected]

"People will argue with you that getting what you want in life isnt something you can learn, if youre destined to be one of the worlds winners as opposed to one of its perpetual whiners, its because you have been born with the right talents and temperament and have a big dose of self-esteem, ambition, and good judgment." Kate White

#4 Amandazon247

Amandazon247

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

Thanks you two... as of today it is much better .. I had found a weight belt I had when I used to go to the gym and that basically holds that side in and it feeels much better.... I found this is a common complaint when I called the nurse at the docs office on Monday.. she says she usually gets this call about 6 to 7 weeks out and it lasts about 2 weeks..... It just worried me because I was feeling so much better then BAM pain..... I can keep it managed with a little tylenol now..... but buddy it sure hurt.... I had to put off going to the trainer due to it ... so I am hopeing by week 9 I will be ready to start with him..... I am at 44 pounds.. but need to get serious with the excercise or I am going to have saggy skin...

You 2 are so full of knowledge and so helpful again thank you.
Century Club 11/2/2008
Onderland 11/3/2008
You can think of a million reasons to hate yourself today.... or you can be original and focus on one reason to love yourself. (manda2008)

#5 rappaport

rappaport

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hilario Juarez
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Start Weight:435
  • Current Weight:201
  • Goal Weight:220
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:11/07/2007

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

I have the same pain from time to time, even at 6+ months out. It's definitely my camera port scar. It seems as my lose more weight and my pannus drops even more, it tears at the seemingly endless healing scar. It's kind of blue right now, as if I've stretched it again.
David

#6 Godsblessedme

Godsblessedme

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Simon
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2007

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

add me to the same pain once in a while. And i totally agree with David the more my incision seems to drop sometimes it still hurts :) it'll get better make sure you drink extra fluids too
Deborah
Highest weight 268
Surgery Date: 12/18/07 Lap RNY
Current Loss: However far this journey will take me Current Weight:174 (10/16/10) Never even made it close to my goal, maybe one day i will but for right NOW, i'm loving this life!

#7 Momof3

Momof3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

I'm only a week out but I learned QUICK about the left side pain. I found out real early on that the location of my left side scar in relation to my big ole belly had a lot to do with my pain. My incision is being "pulled" my the weight of my belly. And it got worse after my bandages came off...so I put another back on, one that kinda pulls the area around the incision together. it gave me immediate relief.

But each day it pulls more, I cant stand anything on my waist, so I just wear stuff that doesnt touch it. Warm cloths feel good, not too hot or anything, but it just soothes it. If I can hold my belly up, it takes the strain off the area. I suspect the inside, underneath that incision is much worse than the outside and that is what the radiating pain is from.

I take tylenol and use a pillow for support when sitting or riding in the car. I pretty much us the pillow all the time.

Its just going to take time I guess, and we'll probably have periodic issues forever. kinda like when you have a C-section, a year later you can have sensations at the site of your epitural. Stuff like that....

I dont think our bodies forget what we do to them, sometimes they just have to remind us who's in charge.

#8 rappaport

rappaport

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hilario Juarez
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Start Weight:435
  • Current Weight:201
  • Goal Weight:220
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:11/07/2007

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

I dont think our bodies forget what we do to them, sometimes they just have to remind us who's in charge.

I don't think wiser words have ever been spoken. This made me laugh.
David

#9 Momof3

Momof3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

I don't think wiser words have ever been spoken. This made me laugh.

I said on another thread that I quickly decided where we get our moody-ness from...OUR UPPER STOMACH!!!

I never knew what controlled my entire life, my emotions, my mood, my attitude...all that...

Miss Prissy pouch....

little heathen

But God love her, she's gonna get me outta the fat clothes and on the floor playing with my daughter

#10 tara76

tara76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

I am only 2 weeks out and I have had the same situation for the last few days. It sounds like some of what people are talking about is external. For me I feel it internally about even with my hip. Sometimes it is very painful. I told the Dr about it yesterday at my post op visit and he said that he thinks it is constipation and suggested that I take fiber. So I don't know if it could be a similar issue for you. He also said that the Loritab slows you down in that manner so to try to stay away from it. I just started taking the fiber today so I can tell you shortly if it relieves the pain. Good luck

#11 Amandazon247

Amandazon247

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

Mom and tara .. I had left side pain the first 3 weeks after surgery and knew I would ... then it was gone.................I am good for 2 whole weeks.... then BAM 6 weeks ... excruciating pain in my left side....... thats why I was worried.... but alas it sounds totally normal.. and the belt has really helped.. I think its like RAP said it prevents the pulling on that side where the scar is. I am still losing weight though and thats really my only issue.... so .. I am good...
Century Club 11/2/2008
Onderland 11/3/2008

#12 Amandazon247

Amandazon247

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

I just wanted to let you all know that I used the weight belt to hold in the lower part of my stomach while I slept on Saturday night ....and I swear I woke up Sunday .. NO pain.... could be the belt .. could be I lost about 6 pounds this week and its not pulling anymore??? who knows but buddy I am happy its gone.... and its not her today either .... FREAKIN SWEET........
Century Club 11/2/2008
Onderland 11/3/2008