MiladyB

Is All Protein Created Equal?

95 posts in this topic

what kind did you buy?

what kind did you buy?

I'm using Isopure Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate.

what kind did you buy?

I used Unjury and other products that my surgeon's practice sells. I kind of had it easy because the practice that I went through provides an assortment of protein products. They do all the hard work for me in figuring out if it is the best protein choice for me.

Ones that I would recommend are the Unjury, Isopure, Syntax Nectars. Check out Vitalady.com - Protein Supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks! and try out some samples. Check out the nutritional info before buying though. What you are looking for is Whey Protein Isolate or Soy Protein Isolate. If there is a combintaion of Isolate and Concentrate I wouldn't go there, if you are early postop. Even though it has Isolate you have no idea how much there is.

This is a little frustrating, as all of the protien drinks that people like have artificial sweeteners! Artificial sweeteners give me migraines, so I have to be very careful.

I am going to try the unflavored and the chicken flavored Unjury, and I ordered samples of Energy Firsts Pure Energy protien drink. Thank you for all of the great information! At least I know where to start.

Lorie

Hi Efveryone, so I finally found a protein supplement I like, but it's a combination of proteins. Brand is Muscle Milk Protein Plus- only 130 calories and 1 g of sugar per 26 g of protein. Please, tell me this is a good source, i've tried so many and this is the only one I've found tolerable!

Looks good. I noticed that their protein is derived from 3 different sources and not primarily whey isolate.

here is a link to the nutrition facts for it:

http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/452431.pdf

for comparison here is what i use:

NOW Foods - Whey Protein Isolate Chocolate - 5 lbs.

I use 1 scoop per serving so divide the info by 1/2.

is yours missing a lot of amino acids? I also like having the extra calcium in the one i use. I tried to stick to pure whey protein isolate after reading up on the topic here and other sources.

oh and Lorie, the brand I found uses sweetness from the Stevia leaf (all natural)

Edited by Oakmont

Good solid info (along with a bit of fun..lol... )

Hopefully this helps!

I have been using Body Fortress whey protein. It has super Whey Protein blend ..which is whey protein isolate and whey protien concentrate..i bought it from Wal-mart. I thought that it was what I am supoosed to be drinking but now I am not sure...does anyone know?? :confused:

I have been using Body Fortress whey protein. It has super Whey Protein blend ..which is whey protein isolate and whey protien concentrate..i bought it from Wal-mart. I thought that it was what I am supoosed to be drinking but now I am not sure...does anyone know?? :confused:

Janl.. to be honest. I don't know for sure. It appears it is not a Whey protein ISOLATE which is the best absorbed protein supplement which would indicate it is lacking the amino acids needed to absorb the protein that is in those (not an issue for lap banders, or non-wls people but a big issue for anyone with the RNY or Sleeve)

However.. above MiladyB posts this (and she's not just a WLS patient, but a bariatric nurse and has access to really knowledgeable people that are on the cutting edge of WLS)

Now that being said, for myself I am really not concerned because I don't weigh heavily on the use of protein supplements. I do take some on occasions but I have many varied sources of protein. But for those of you out there who are really early postop and are pretty much totally weighing completely on the use of protein supplements to get in your protein. Well, I hope you pay attention to information in this thread. You may be causing yourself some harm if you are only using one protein supplement with a really low score. If you are using a wide variety of sources there probably isn't a huge concern, but if not? Well personally I feel it may not be the best choice for you. Just my own personal take on this subject.

What I would say is.. it is probably fine to use the body fortress if you alternate it around with other supplements that are 100% Whey Protein ISOLATE which do have the amino acids we need. Plus, soon you'll be able to add things like egg which is the most perfect protein available and once you start adding other protein sources you should be fine.

HTH some.

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love this thread!!! This has helped me so very much. I just started a thread earlier today with a whey protein isolate question and here it was for me the whole time. Thanks to all ;)

I use "The Organic Whey" protein. It only has one ingredient, organic whey powder and has all essential amino acids. The reason I tried this to begin with was I couldn't find any protein powder out there that doesn't have Stevia in it and I'm allergic to it. After using this, I LOVE it! It' unflavored so it's best mixed with something other than water. I ordered from Amazon.com.

This post might have just answered what has been wrong with me this whole recovery time. I was using Atkins shakes post op and the bariatric nurse said stop because they were to high in fat. So I switched to EAS Carb Control which was lower in fat. Then I read here about whey protein concentrate and looked at the ingredients and low and behold guess what is in the shakes?

Switching to Isopure today but it is so hard to get down!!!!!

Cyndie

So what do I do? Found out I'm allergic to milk/whey and soy! At just over 1 month out from wls, I don't know what to do?!?!? Help me, please!

I remember my allergist years ago telling me that when a person has an allergy (particularly food), their body has much more inflation. Perhaps that's why I'm not losing weight? It's been 2.5 weeks now, and the scale isn't dropping more than an ounce here and there.

So what do I do? Found out I'm allergic to milk/whey and soy! At just over 1 month out from wls, I don't know what to do?!?!? Help me, please!

I remember my allergist years ago telling me that when a person has an allergy (particularly food), their body has much more inflation. Perhaps that's why I'm not losing weight? It's been 2.5 weeks now, and the scale isn't dropping more than an ounce here and there.

As mentioned in a different thread, there are other sources for protein supplements other than dairy and soy.

You can get egg white, pea and hemp protein powders too at GNC. Go in and talk with someone. The upside is that if you keep the receipt, they'll let you return it for an exchange if you don't like it.

The Vitamin Shoppe has a good selection of these products too.

What about isopure? It's a clear beverage... can that work? (I dunno but if you try it from GNC, they'll take anything you buy from there back as long as you keep a receipt.. even if opened)

As for the stall, seriously,... do an advanced search on stalls. There is no reason for concern there.. you're at the prime spot for the first of MANY STALLS. Get used to them, don't let them get to you at all and read, read, read. You'll feel better.

What about isopure? It's a clear beverage... can that work? (I dunno but if you try it from GNC, they'll take anything you buy from there back as long as you keep a receipt.. even if opened)

As for the stall, seriously,... do an advanced search on stalls. There is no reason for concern there.. you're at the prime spot for the first of MANY STALLS. Get used to them, don't let them get to you at all and read, read, read. You'll feel better.

Kel - Isopure Zero Carb RTD is Whey (milk) Protein Isolate so I'm guessing that even though it's filtered to get a clear liquid, it would still cause allergy issues to those who react to whey products.

Kel - Isopure Zero Carb RTD is Whey (milk) Protein Isolate so I'm guessing that even though it's filtered to get a clear liquid, it would still cause allergy issues to those who react to whey products.

Yeah, I was thinking that was the case after I posted... I'm having trouble with my forum today- once I look at a post it disappears! lol... so I couldn't edit.

I have PM'd John about the issue.

I emailed John earlier - when hitting "New Posts" first thing, instead of 2-3 pages, I got something like 494 pages! LOL

Also an issue with not being able to see subscribed threads to delete them - I have go the extra step and view "all" subscribed threads and delete them that way.

I called my surgeon's office this morning and told the nurse about what's going on with me and whey. He said to try the following for a few days:

Atkin's shakes

Slimfast Optima

Isopure

EAS myoplex drink

I looked at the labels for all of those online after I talked to him. They ALL have whey!!!!! I'm so confused I don't know what to do. Hubby had to go to SAM's this morning, so he picked up some of the EAS. I'll give that a try, but boy, this stuff is SO expensive! Too bad we can't use a prescription for it!

I called my surgeon's office this morning and told the nurse about what's going on with me and whey. He said to try the following for a few days:

Atkin's shakes

Slimfast Optima

Isopure

EAS myoplex drink

I looked at the labels for all of those online after I talked to him. They ALL have whey!!!!! I'm so confused I don't know what to do. Hubby had to go to SAM's this morning, so he picked up some of the EAS. I'll give that a try, but boy, this stuff is SO expensive! Too bad we can't use a prescription for it!

I would call them back and keep calling until they give you info on what you can try that is not.. what about the Rice protien that Corrine suggested you try?

Can you eat eggs?

I didn't see a rice protein mentioned... must have missed that!

And now can't find it... Geesh!

I heard back from GNC on the liquid protein I posted yesterday...

GNC Pro Performance Liquid Protein is derived from hydrolyzed collagen, which is from beef (cow) or pork (pig).

If you have any more questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or call our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-888-462-2548.

Bret

GNC Customer Service Representative II

In other words, it isn't what we want!!! And I spent $30 on it! ARGH!

I didn't see a rice protein mentioned... must have missed that!

And now can't find it... Geesh!

This is the Rice Protein at GNC: [url=http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3629979]Jarrow Formulas

One Protein that is often overlooked is animal or Beef Proteins. I use (along with other proteins to keep it kind of "new") a protein powder called oddly enough, "Animal". Its often used by Body Builders during peak season.