MiladyB

Is All Protein Created Equal?

Excellent info Beth!

So if I understand this correctly it sounds like bullet protein is probably ok for taking on vacation as a backup for when dinner might not suit you or etc (so long as this isn't the only protein source). It even sounds like bullets would be ok once you've reached a food stage where you are consuming some variety of protein foods.

I personally don't want to take any chances during the immediate post op stage though, so I'll be sticking with whey isolate for that time. But I am thinking that a couple bullets might be a great idea to stash in my bag when I go to France in December.

Excellent info Beth!

So if I understand this correctly it sounds like bullet protein is probably ok for taking on vacation as a backup for when dinner might not suit you or etc (so long as this isn't the only protein source). It even sounds like bullets would be ok once you've reached a food stage where you are consuming some variety of protein foods.

I personally don't want to take any chances during the immediate post op stage though, so I'll be sticking with whey isolate for that time. But I am thinking that a couple bullets might be a great idea to stash in my bag when I go to France in December.

That would be my take on it, Angel. One word of caution though from my nutritionist. "Just a warning--I have had patients with protein malnutrition using the "bullets/shooters" as a protein source "

I suspect these may be patients who are exclusively or close to exclusively using the protein bullets. But I don't know for sure.

I just think we really need to be careful with them. I know they seem like the quick and easy answer but they honestly don't sound as if they are the best choice for us, at least in my humble opinion.

We all have to make our own personal decision for ourselves. We honestly are the only person who can control our own health. For myself? I won't be using them and if I was early postop I still probably would look to a different protein source but that is me. I just want to put out there as much information as possible so that people can make their own personal choice of what they feel is best for themselves.

Here is some further input from Dr Paauw that I thought I would share.

My question and email to him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:40 AM

To: Paauw, James D.

Subject: Re: Looking for your opnion

Jim,

Thank you for explaining all of that for me. It does clear things up for me. I do know that the nutritionist within Dr Baker's office doesn't recommend that her patients use proteins with low scores. I suspect that is because early postop our protein source is VERY limited and it is actually fairly realistic that some people may only get their protein from one source. I personally know people who down the small protein vials that have a score of .06 and think they have gotten in ALL of their protein requirements for the day and call it good. So coming from that stand point, would it be the smartest choice to be using protein supplements with really low scores?

Really early postop it is a HUGE struggle to get in the protein requirements of 60-90 grams. It is also a really big struggle to even eat. Many people are looking at these small protein vials as a life saver. There are vials out there that contain 45 grams of protein (but there score is .06). People all over the bariatric world are putting out tons of money for these things just so they can get their protein in. They drink one of these vials throughout the day figuring that they have gotten in 45 grams of their requirements and just maybe get in the rest of their requirements by means of regular food. I guess there is enough concern in my mind that I don't think I will be recommending those kinds of products to people that I come in contact with.

So, as a physician, if a patient came to you and asked you, "What kind of product should I purchase to use to get the large majority of my protein requirements from?" What would your suggestion be? One with a low score? One with the higher score? Or that it really doesn't matter as long as you are getting in 60 grams minimum. I honestly get asked that question alot. I know Christine's thoughts on it (Dr Baker's nutritionist) but I'm curious what your answer would be.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question, Jim. You are a fantastic resource and teacher for me and I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

His reponse:

Beth,

Your description of the use of these products raises a big concern for me. People should be eating enough to make their dietary protein complementary to whatever extra protein source they're taking. If they're not, I would not encourage the use of a modular protein as a near-solo source of protein (and calories), since this, in all likelihood, carries a bigger risk than simple balanced starvation. The liquid protein weight loss diets of the late 80's revealed that dietary nonprotein calories (particularly carbohydrate) had to be high enough to "spare" protein, or one's metabolic machinery will flip into a catabolic mode, using protein (both dietary and endogenous) as fuel substrate. The liquid protein diets resulted in some catastrophic complications, including death. This experience showed that one had to be taking in a minimum of about 500 nonprotein calories to prevent this wholesale breakdown of protein for energy. Hence, my advice would be not to use these modular protein supplements at all unless one is taking in at least 500 other calories, in which case the type of supplementary protein may not be as critical (although milk proteins such as whey are probably always more desireable than collagen, which, if it did become the major source of dietary protein, is not a very complete protein.) If one can't take even 500 calories, I think that that person would be better off taking a balanced complete (meaning one with a higher score.) dietary supplement, such as Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ensure at the lower caloric intake, on the premise that a balanced under-intake is safer than what amounts to a liquid protein diet.

Jim

Edited by MiladyB

As always, fascinating information Beth...and thank you for sharing it with us. :)

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks out, but I'm finding that I can get most of my protein through regular food (my doc recommends 60 grams a day). I've been eating a lot of unbreaded pre-cooked shrimp (if you can call 2 ounces at a time a lot!), chicken breast, tuna, tilapia fish, lean beef, LF ricotta cheese, FF or LF cottage cheese, FF refried beans, an occasional scrambled egg with LF cheddar cheese, etc. If memory serves me right, 3 ounces of unbreaded shrimp has 17 grams of protein, and other meats/fish are fairly similar. IMO, if a person concentrates on eating their protein-rich foods first, the need for a protein supplement is going to be minimalized. And when that protein supplement is necessary, you're doing your body a favor by using whey protein isolate, and not one of the inferior products.

Beth, I recall a post from you from awhile back that I read. Basically you said something like this: "I want to feel like a normal person, and eat normal food for my protein as much as I can instead of relying so much on protein drinks." I'm probably butchering what you actually said, but the point is...the thought has stuck in my brain since I read it, and I've tried my hardest to stick to your mantra. Afterall, what tastes better...a protein shake, or some unbreaded shrimp with a bit of cocktail sauce on the side? I know what my choice is! I might have had my stomach operated on, but my brain is still intact (well, mostly intact :rolleyes:)...and it tells me I'd rather chew on something, rather than have a liquid meal.

Angel, I agree with you...I'm only going to use the protein bullets if I'm in a circumstance where I don't have a better choice. Vacation is a perfect example. Even then, it's probably almost as easy to have some Nectar Syntrax powder pre-packed in a baggy, and just mix it with a bottle of water.

Edited by sherry7

Angel.. I can just see the airport security going through your bags and pulling one of these out :)

It makes me laugh anyway.. every time I look at that picture and remember seeing them all over the floor at work (box broke open during unpacking from vendor).. and my boss coming over and asking what I would do with them when they were empty... stupid me pipes up with "put a battery in them and see what happens!" LOL.. (yeah, we're sooo not PC in our office! )

post-6846-12990982950752_thumb.jpg

Angel.. I can just see the airport security going through your bags and pulling one of these out :)

It makes me laugh anyway.. every time I look at that picture and remember seeing them all over the floor at work (box broke open during unpacking from vendor).. and my boss coming over and asking what I would do with them when they were empty... stupid me pipes up with "put a battery in them and see what happens!" LOL.. (yeah, we're sooo not PC in our office! )

*LOL* You are so funny Kel!! I'll never be able to look at a picture of those bullets again with a straight face! :eek:

Sherry, you actually came pretty close to what I said. I had this surgery to feel like a "normal" person. Living off from protein supplements is not what I consider eating like a "normal" person. I have held the firm belief from the first day that I could start regular foods, that I wanted to get as much of my protein as possible from regular foods instead of protein supplements. Was it easy? No! There were many times where eating just seemed too much work but I really worked hard at pushing past that feeling. If I didn't make my protein requirements? Well then, at that point the protein supplements came out. I still use them on occasions but it is more the bars and other solid foods that I use. This isn't an easy journey and eating in those first several months is hard. At least it was for me but I think the struggle has made me more driven to keep doing this right. I'm not taking my weight loss or my health for granted, because I had to work really hard at getting here....and the reality, at least for me is that this will always be hard work but the rewards? Well it is worth it!

ROFL! I thought I was the only person who thought that. :P It's good to see that I'm not the only person who has her mind in the gutter. ;)

*LOL* You are so funny Kel!! I'll never be able to look at a picture of those bullets again with a straight face! :eek:

Sherry, you actually came pretty close to what I said. I had this surgery to feel like a "normal" person. Living off from protein supplements is not what I consider eating like a "normal" person. I have held the firm belief from the first day that I could start regular foods, that I wanted to get as much of my protein as possible from regular foods instead of protein supplements. Was it easy? No! There were many times where eating just seemed too much work but I really worked hard at pushing past that feeling. If I didn't make my protein requirements? Well then, at that point the protein supplements came out. I still use them on occasions but it is more the bars and other solid foods that I use. This isn't an easy journey and eating in those first several months is hard. At least it was for me but I think the struggle has made me more driven to keep doing this right. I'm not taking my weight loss or my health for granted, because I had to work really hard at getting here....and the reality, at least for me is that this will always be hard work but the rewards? Well it is worth it!

Well said, as always Beth. I hope you never stop posting on here, because I gain so much knowledge from you. You're my WLS guru! :)

I too can imagine the look on security's faces if they run across one of your protein bullets! :D Definitely don't pack them in your carry-on bag, lol. (Besides, I think they're slightly more than 3 ounces, and would get confiscated anyway.)

Are you flying through Charles de Gaule airport (Paris)? The security there is SO strict...way more strict than anything I've ran across flying in the US. And it's very expensive at that airport...I paid the equivalent of $5 or $6 for a small bottle of water. I think it would have been cheaper to just drink wine, lol. They have places too where you can get a back massage, foot massage, manicure, etc while you're waiting for your flight. I didn't want to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house though, so I skipped those delights and just drank my overpriced bottle of water. :D

Well said, as always Beth. I hope you never stop posting on here, because I gain so much knowledge from you. You're my WLS guru! :)

pfffttt....I'm only a "guru" because I ask a lot of questions and I'm surrounded by several people who are wonderful resources.

I really do want to work within a bariatric practice one day. I still haven't found my niche. Hopefully one day I will, but in the meantime I honestly feel like a "sponge" sometimes, wanting to soak up as much information as possible.

Thankfully the staff within my surgeon's office and Dr Paauw are wonderful and don't mind answering all of my questions. I really can't believe they aren't tired of me yet. *L*

I too can imagine the look on security's faces if they run across one of your protein bullets! :D Definitely don't pack them in your carry-on bag, lol. (Besides, I think they're slightly more than 3 ounces, and would get confiscated anyway.)

Are you flying through Charles de Gaule airport (Paris)? The security there is SO strict...way more strict than anything I've ran across flying in the US. And it's very expensive at that airport...I paid the equivalent of $5 or $6 for a small bottle of water. I think it would have been cheaper to just drink wine, lol. They have places too where you can get a back massage, foot massage, manicure, etc while you're waiting for your flight. I didn't want to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house though, so I skipped those delights and just drank my overpriced bottle of water. :D

Yep, I'll be flying into CDG as usual. You are so right about things being expensive in the airport there! Though, last time we flew out from there we got 200 euros each and drink vouchers for volunteering to go on standby (and ended up on our scheduled flight to boot!). Since I didn't have time to spend that money before the flight I guess I'll have to spend it this time. Maybe I can convince hubby to spend it on some massages preflight.

As for packing supplements, good call on mentioning the liquid limit. I could probably get some exemption from that with documentation but it sounds like a pain... and I probably don't want to put bright colored liquid vials into my checked bag either. I suppose I'll just buy some sample size powders to take along for backup. I doubt I will NEED supplements but I don't want to take any chances if I happen to try something and the pouch revolts I may need a day or two of liquid.

Maybe I should take just one vial in my carry on... and snap a photo at security with the guard holding it so you girls can get your giggle on?

pfffttt....I'm only a "guru" because I ask a lot of questions and I'm surrounded by several people who are wonderful resources.

I really do want to work within a bariatric practice one day. I still haven't found my niche. Hopefully one day I will, but in the meantime I honestly feel like a "sponge" sometimes, wanting to soak up as much information as possible.

Thankfully the staff within my surgeon's office and Dr Paauw are wonderful and don't mind answering all of my questions. I really can't believe they aren't tired of me yet. *L*

I think you'd be a huge asset to a bariatric practice Beth. You are definitely more knowledgable about this stuff than my surgeon's RN is. For that matter, I've learned more about nutrition from you than I have from the NUT at my surgeon's office. I'd say to go for it...you'd definitely be in your element.

Yep, I'll be flying into CDG as usual. You are so right about things being expensive in the airport there! Though, last time we flew out from there we got 200 euros each and drink vouchers for volunteering to go on standby (and ended up on our scheduled flight to boot!). Since I didn't have time to spend that money before the flight I guess I'll have to spend it this time. Maybe I can convince hubby to spend it on some massages preflight.

As for packing supplements, good call on mentioning the liquid limit. I could probably get some exemption from that with documentation but it sounds like a pain... and I probably don't want to put bright colored liquid vials into my checked bag either. I suppose I'll just buy some sample size powders to take along for backup. I doubt I will NEED supplements but I don't want to take any chances if I happen to try something and the pouch revolts I may need a day or two of liquid.

Maybe I should take just one vial in my carry on... and snap a photo at security with the guard holding it so you girls can get your giggle on?

You sound like you go to France a lot...do you have family there? I flew on Air France for the first time last winter, and was amazed at the difference to airlines in the US. Heck, we got free wine, and the in-flight meal was actually pretty good (beef burgundy). On domestic flights, you're lucky to get a tiny bag of pretzels. :rolleyes: I love having the chance to fly standby. I've only had the chance for a voluntary bump one time, and we ended up getting 3 free tickets for anywhere in the US or Caribbean. We used them this past winter to fly to Jamaica, so that paid for a big chunk of our vacation.

Have fun spending your left-over Euros...sounds like fun!

I'm lol about the thought of a security guard holding one of those vials. :D

I think you'd be a huge asset to a bariatric practice Beth. You are definitely more knowledgable about this stuff than my surgeon's RN is. For that matter, I've learned more about nutrition from you than I have from the NUT at my surgeon's office. I'd say to go for it...you'd definitely be in your element.

Well I did try once, Sherry. I had an interview for an RN position in my surgeon's office. Only problem was, there is some rule in place that they don't hire their patients.

We shall see. For now I'm just keeping myself very visable within the practice. They frequently get emails full of questions. My support group emails go to my surgeon and apparently he pays attention to them. I also have been in discussion with their office manager about helping to set up a mentor program. :) Maybe one day they will get hit with a lighting bolt and wonder why in the world I'm not working for them. *L* I can only hope...but for now I love my burn patients, so I'm happy.....and I'll just keep getting on the job training here on TT. :D

Guess what I did??? At the hospital a dietitian came around (not the same NUT I went to) and also told me about the New whey bullets. I told her they are not the best protein out there. I told her about the research and the low numbers (I couldn't remember the letters ada, cdc, you get the point). I told her that two salesmen at Vitamin shoppe did not recommend them and she was pretty shocked, yet open to the information. She said she was going to research that. I felt cool b/c I knew more that she did! LOLOL :D

Guess what I did??? At the hospital a dietitian came around (not the same NUT I went to) and also told me about the New whey bullets. I told her they are not the best protein out there. I told her about the research and the low numbers (I couldn't remember the letters ada, cdc, you get the point). I told her that two salesmen at Vitamin shoppe did not recommend them and she was pretty shocked, yet open to the information. She said she was going to research that. I felt cool b/c I knew more that she did! LOLOL :D

Good for you, Nicole!! :) Keep educating people out there!!

Okay, so I just read up on this. The highest score is a 1.0. So, the liquid protein isn't as bad as I thought if it's close to zero. You just may need more of it, i.e. wheat has .4 (Whole wheat has a PDCAAS of 0.40. This means that it would take about 125 grams of protein from whole wheat to supply the amounts of all the indispensable amino acids provided by 50 grams of this isolated soy protein). I was thinking the liquid was about zero out of 100! So for those who can't tolerate shakes, at least you're getting some from the liquid.

PS. This coming from someone who can't tolerate anything. :rolleyes:

I sent an email off to the nutritionist in my surgeon's office yesterday. I wanted to ask her about these 3 oz protein vials so many seem to be taking after surgery. I was curious what she thought of them and if it was the kind of protein we should be using after surgery. She quickly got back to me with an explaination about protein. I just thought I would share it with all of you. I know this is a pretty technical explaination but I thought some of you might like to know what kind of protein is best for us when it comes to protein supplements.

Here is her email response:

Not all protein has the same value to your body. The amino acid profile

is the reason for this. Proteins are made of amino acids. There are 20

different ones in the human body. Of the twenty, 9 of them must be

consumed to meet your daily needs. These 9 amino acids are called

Essential (EAA) or Indispensable.

The 9 EAAs are needed in certain proportions. A protein scoring system

called Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (or PDCAAS)

was developed to show which products contain all the EAA and in the

correct proportions. It is supported by the FDA, the World Health

Organization, and perhaps most importantly, the Institute of Medicine at

the National Academy of Sciences. The highest possible score is 100.

-- Collagen Protein gets a 0 (the lowest possible score)

-- Whey Protein Isolate gets 100 (the highest possible score)

Some proteins such as COLLAGEN or HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN protein are

missing one of the EAAs entirely. So the PDCAAS for collagen is zero.

Collagen is often the main ingredient in protein supplements that come

in a liquid form, and they usually have lower PDCAAS scores.

Here are some collagen products that have lower PDCAAS scores:

New Whey and Profect1: These products appear to have a PDCAAS score of

5 or 6 out of 100. Lab analyses of several samples suggest that about

94% of their protein, by weight, is from collagen.

Proteinex2: The Proteinex OTC products appear to get protein only from

hydrolyzed collagen, so their PDCAAS score is 0 or virtually 0.

Pro-Stat 64 / Pro-Stat 1013: These products appear to have a PDCAAS

score of about 37 out of 100.

The BEST products to purchase are products made from whey protein

ISOLATE (not concentrate) and soy protein ISOLATE.

I read what your Dr. said and I agree. I would not base my protein requirements on a Bullet of Hydrolyzed collagen protein. but reading more into this type of protein and the PDCAAS method of scoring protein has got me thinking that it might not be so bad. here are the links that I read deeper into about this subject.

Hydrolyzed collagen (hydrolysate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

it seemed like the collagen may help arthritis and it did not say this but I surmised it from what I read, it may fight skin aging. this does not change my mind on if I will use it or not but was something interesting to think about. if I had a joint injury maybe I would put some hydrolyzed collagen in my supplement regimen, dont think it would hurt.

PDCAAS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seems like the system might be a little flawed. "because in 1990 at a FAO/WHO meeting it was decided that proteins having values higher than 1.0 would be rounded or "leveled down" to 1.0 as scores above 1.0 are considered to indicate that the protein contains essential amino acids in excess of the human requirements.[10] This approach implies injustice to high-quality proteins which can compensate for low-quality ones by virtue of their high content of essential amino acids (egg has an actual PDCAA score of 1.19 compared to 0.91 for soy, however when leveled down, they appear much closer)."

Edited by supplements.net

Okay, so I just read up on this. The highest score is a 1.0. So, the liquid protein isn't as bad as I thought if it's close to zero. You just may need more of it, i.e. wheat has .4 (Whole wheat has a PDCAAS of 0.40. This means that it would take about 125 grams of protein from whole wheat to supply the amounts of all the indispensable amino acids provided by 50 grams of this isolated soy protein). I was thinking the liquid was about zero out of 100! So for those who can't tolerate shakes, at least you're getting some from the liquid.

Your thought seems correct but if a protein source was missing one essential amino acid then it wouldn't matter how much you used you wouldn't get that amino.

Nicole, it can be rather confusing but the score of the bullets is .04-.05 out of 1.0. So it is rather low. You will find it listed 2 different ways. The other is 4-5 out of 100. These scores are the scores of the amount of the essential amino acids different proteins have. All the essential amino acids may be present in the bullets but they are in the wrong proportions. Our bodies need all the essential amino acids in the right proportion. If it doesn't get it from our foods it will get it from our muscles. Now the score isn't quite as big of a deal if the bullets are only part of our protein intake. Hopefully the other sources of proteins that we are eating will provide us with the additional amounts of amino acids that our bodies need. The danger more is, when we are early out and not eating other foods or a really limited supply you run the risk of not getting what you need. Using 100% whey or soy isolate will eliminate that risk. From my understanding if you are eating 500 calories from regular food sources the score of a product isn't such a big deal. But if you aren't? You can do damage to your muscles including your heart.

If you speak to a vegetarian who really understands the idea of amino acids, they will explain how important it is to get their protein from several different sources. The reason it is important is because things like wheat don't have all the essential amino acids present or if they are, there isn't enough. So basicly vegetarians have to add food with additional amino acids to add in to make it "complete". Think of it as a bunch of grapes that is missing several grapes. It isn't a complete bunch. Now if you take grapes from somewhere else and add them to the bunch, the bunch will be complete. Make sense?

BTW, I was corresponding with a bariatric nutritionist in regards to these protein bullets. Because of our discussion she wrote one of the companies asking to see the amino acid profile for their product. She never heard back from them. I can't help but think if they were as complete as they claim they are they would have been willing to share the proof of their claims. Apparently they weren't. Just something to think about.

Edited by MiladyB

Your thought seems correct but if a protein source was missing one essential amino acid then it wouldn't matter how much you used you wouldn't get that amino.

You are exactly right!

Nicole, it can be rather confusing but the score of the bullets is .04-.05 out of 1.0. So it is rather low. You will find it listed 2 different ways. The other is 4-5 out of 100. These scores are the scores of the amount of the essential amino acids different proteins have. All the essential amino acids may be present in the bullets but they are in the wrong proportions. Our bodies need all the essential amino acids in the right proportion. If it doesn't get it from our foods it will get it from our muscles. Now the score isn't quite as big of a deal if the bullets are only part of our protein intake. Hopefully the other sources of proteins that we are eating will provide us with the additional amounts of amino acids that our bodies need. The danger more is, when we are early out and not eating other foods or a really limited supply you run the risk of not getting what you need. Using 100% whey or soy isolate will eliminate that risk. From my understanding if you are eating 500 calories from regular food sources the score of a product isn't such a big deal. But if you aren't? You can do damage to your muscles including your heart.

If you speak to a vegetarian who really understands the idea of amino acids, they will explain how important it is to get their protein from several different sources. The reason it is important is because things like wheat don't have all the essential amino acids present or if they are, there isn't enough. So basicly vegetarians have to add food with additional amino acids to add in to make it "complete". Think of it as a bunch of grapes that is missing several grapes. It isn't a complete bunch. Now if you take grapes from somewhere else and add them to the bunch, the bunch will be complete. Make sense?

BTW, I was corresponding with a bariatric nutritionist in regards to these protein bullets. Because of our discussion she wrote one of the companies asking to see the amino acid profile for their product. She never heard back from them. I can't help but think if they were as complete as they claim they are they would have been willing to share the proof of their claims. Apparently they weren't. Just something to think about.

the truth of the matter is that the manufacturers probably do not know. most of them do not do enough R&D to know much more than us.

I get it, Beth. :P I do get lots of protein from food, but probably not enough. As I said, I wish I could find something I like! :(

Beth,

Thanks so much for the research you did on this. I have been using Unjury which is a whey protein isolate since my surgery two weeks ago. I have to admit i wish i was at a stage where i could obtain my protein through my foods, but i know that is just around the corner.

This discussion will serve to get me to make sure i get in my three shakes a day. The thing i like about the Unjury, is the fact there are 20 grams of protein in each serving, and it makes getting in my protein requiremets very easy for me.

thanks again!

kat

You're very welcome, kat. It was important to me to educate myself after this surgery. My surgery was my last and only chance of doing this right. I have no intention in blowing it. So I ask alot of questions. Thankfully, being in the medical field I have a lot of resources who have been kind enough to answer my many questions.

I'm a huge advocate of education. As many of you know my dream is to get within a bariatric practice as a support group leader/RN. I just appreciate that all of you allow me to "train" myself towards that dream. You are all giving me the experience that I need. So thank you! :)

Keep up the good work. I know how hard it is to keep up with those protein drinks. By 2 weeks postop I could barely swallow them because I was SO SICK of them!! But its worth it in the long run. It really is. There is nothing like the feeling of being healthy and living life. :)