#1 ~Lo~

~Lo~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Alex Barkan/Dr. James Kolenich
  • Hospital:UPMC Greenville

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hello everyone, I have a question about vitamins. I am a week post-op and the doc told me to take tums for calcium which I take 2 twice a day. and I take a multi-vitamin. He didnt tell me to take anything else and from what I have been reading many of you take B-12 and other vitamins, so could someone tell me what they take and when they take it throughout the day? I would appreciate it :D I got to my first post-op checkup on friday so I will also ask him about other vitamins. Thanks everyone.
Lap RNY 4/30/08

295/166/125
HW/CW/GW

Scale #!@$% #12
Onederland 9/16/2008

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.

#2 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Hi Lo, ummm...first off I'm afraid despite what your doctor suggested TUMS are really not the best choice of calcium for us post RNY. They are calcium carbonate and that requires gastric juices to help absorb it, which we no longer have after surgery at least not until well down our digestive track. It usually just doesn't give your body enough time to absorb it. You really should be taking Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D. The recommended dose usually is 1000-1200mg. You will have to divide that up in 2 doses though because the body can only absorb about 600mg at a time. The other thing is that you can not take it at the same time as iron. They basicly counteract each other and neither will be absorbed like they should be. You should be waiting 2 hours after your calcium before you take your iron.

For myself this is what I take:
1200 mg Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D: am and pm (600 mg each dose)
2 Building Blocks chewable multi-vitamin: am and pm (1 each dose)
30 mg iron (ferrous fumarate)every day: lunch
(30mg for menstrating women, 15 mg for men or nonmenstrating women)
1200 mcg sublingual B-12: am

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by MiladyB, 07 May 2008 - 09:04 PM.

~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#3 Godsblessedme

Godsblessedme

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Simon
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2007

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

exactly what Beth's taking :) and i just ordered from that building blocks site as opposed to getting them from surgeon's office again and saved a TON for a 90 day supply of Calcium, Iron, Anti oxident, multivitamin i paid 162! (thanks for the linkage Beth)
Deborah
Highest weight 268
Surgery Date: 12/18/07 Lap RNY
Current Loss: However far this journey will take me Current Weight:174 (10/16/10) Never even made it close to my goal, maybe one day i will but for right NOW, i'm loving this life!

#4 BillH

BillH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jeffrey Rosen
  • Hospital:Advocate Good Samaritan in Downers Grove, IL
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):47

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

I take Ferretts liquid iron twice a day, Centrum multivitamin in the a.m. and a B Complex, also in the a.m. I take two Calcium Citrate after supper and two more before I go to bed. I also take a Prevacid first thing in the a.m. and Colfate four times a day. All this plus two other meds I had been taking before (Zetia for high cholesterol and flomax for the prostate, I crush those last two and put in applesauce in the a.m.
GymRat #91
"Hey, how're you all doing? I'm fine. Moved to Wisconsin. Got a new job and a new life with same great wife."

A Favorite quote:
You've got to be kind, dammit!"
(from Kurt Vonnegut's writings)

Check out www.firstcongolax.org
It's where I will be starting February!

largest known wt: 379 lbs.
surgical weight, 4/16/08: 298 lbs.
current wt, 7/07/09: 203 lbs.
Doctor's goal weight: 200 lbs.
my personal goal: 160lbs;)

#5 THIN4TWINS

THIN4TWINS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Montgomery Cox
  • Hospital:Catawba Valley Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:320
  • Current Weight:163
  • Surgery Date:02/11/08

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Hi Lo! Congrats on making to the other side! I took Tums for my calcium supplement for the first two weeks b/c that's what our nut/nurse told us to do. After two weeks, we were to switch to a calcium citrate. Not sure why - but in my experience, it took a while to find a citrate that I could tolerate and I know I couldn't have done any of the ones I am doing now during the first two weeks after surgery. Still having trouble with the Citrical pills so I am doing a liquid calcium at night, and one Citrical Chew duirng the day. (Don't actually make the chews anymore, I found one box still in date a close-out discount place, so I won't be doing those anymore once this box is gone...sad, b/c they are tasty and easy to tolerate. OH WELL...such is life, right.) Anyhoo....here's what I take:
AM - 1 Adult Gummy Multi Vitamin (they're new at Vitamin World and much better than the chewables I was doing prior.)
1 Biotin (1000 mcg - for hair)
1 Sublingual B-12 (twice a week.)
Mid morning - Calcium
Lunch - Another gummy vite (most days, but if not at lunch then in the evening when I get home from work.
PM - 2 tbsp liquid calcium citrate.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Amy~
Thin4Twins
aka: Amy

322/308/146/180/165
Pre-Op/Surgery Day/Today/GOAL #1/GOAL #2

Lap RNY: 2/11/08

Century Club - July 30, 2008
Onederland - September 29, 2008!!!
I did it! Goal #1 reached on 12/1/08!!!
Goal #2 Reached on 2/23/09!!
Below Goal and Holding!!

#6 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

exactly what Beth's taking :) and i just ordered from that building blocks site as opposed to getting them from surgeon's office again and saved a TON for a 90 day supply of Calcium, Iron, Anti oxident, multivitamin i paid 162! (thanks for the linkage Beth)

Oh, you're welcome Deborah. The price isn't too bad there and what I like is that if you order $100 worth of meds the shipping is free. For me I only get my vitamin there for now but I just ordered 9 months worth and my shipping was free.

I do highly recommend the Building Blocks vitamins because they are formulated especially for the wls patient. So I know when I'm taking them I am getting what is absorbed best by me as a person who had a rny. Hope you are happy with them Deborah! I'm sure you will be. :)
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#7 nikkibeat

nikkibeat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Charles Thomas
  • Hospital:West Jefferson Medical Center
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Many of the latest studies showed that patients heal better if they take an antacid. My doc has always put people on liquid zantac for the 1st 6 weeks to help keep stomach acid low to aid in faster healing...

Mayby that is why some docs are giving tums at first, but I don't understand why they wouldn't still have the patients take calcuim citrate with it...
High/2Day/Goal
298/195/165

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.
Benjamin Mays
:D

Surgery Date Was April 9, 2008

Me, BEFORE surgery...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Godsblessedme

Godsblessedme

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Simon
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2007

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

but I just ordered 9 months worth

wow Beth! My order should be here on the 13th wohoo i just love the price i cant believe i'm saving like over 100$ for a 90day supply as opposed to the 140 for a 30/day supply! anyway i'm curious to know how those taking the liquid calcium how it tastes
Deborah
Highest weight 268
Surgery Date: 12/18/07 Lap RNY
Current Loss: However far this journey will take me Current Weight:174 (10/16/10) Never even made it close to my goal, maybe one day i will but for right NOW, i'm loving this life!

#9 ~Lo~

~Lo~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Alex Barkan/Dr. James Kolenich
  • Hospital:UPMC Greenville

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Thank you everyone for replying to my post, I go to the doc in the morning so I am going to ask him about the vitamins. But it helps to know what everyone else is taking so I can tell if I am on the right track lol Again Thank everyone !!
Lap RNY 4/30/08

295/166/125
HW/CW/GW

Scale #!@$% #12
Onederland 9/16/2008

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.

#10 AToM

AToM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Has anyone tried the TwinLab Calcium Citrate Chewable Wafers? Looks like a 20 day supply is around $7 (4 wafers per day). I'm really wanting to get off of the liquid Ca I'm taking right now as I don't care for it and I have a hard time to remember to take it since it's in the fridge.
440/393/250/?
High/DOS/Current/No Goal Set
Lap RNY 4/01/08

#11 THIN4TWINS

THIN4TWINS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Montgomery Cox
  • Hospital:Catawba Valley Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:320
  • Current Weight:163
  • Surgery Date:02/11/08

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

I am taking a "strawberry" flavored liquid calcium that I picked up at Vitamin World. The taste is not bad - to me it tastes like low sugar yogurt and since I only take two tablespoons, it's tolerable. It's definitely easier on my pouch than the citrical pills. Eventually, I will probably be able to go back to those but its just too early for me to take those pills right now.

AToM - I tried the chewable calcium wafers from Building Blocks but it was a waste of my $$. They were suppossed to be "chocolate" flavored but to me they tasted like dried poo pellets - >>BLEK<<

A~
Thin4Twins
aka: Amy

322/308/146/180/165
Pre-Op/Surgery Day/Today/GOAL #1/GOAL #2

Lap RNY: 2/11/08

Century Club - July 30, 2008
Onederland - September 29, 2008!!!
I did it! Goal #1 reached on 12/1/08!!!
Goal #2 Reached on 2/23/09!!
Below Goal and Holding!!

#12 suemaca

suemaca

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

hI ALL
we are coming to the Florida Keys for a fortnight on Wednesday.As vitamin/supplements are horrifyingly expensive here in Ireland, I thought I would fill the suitcase with some to bring home.(as I wont be buying too many clothes this time)
I will be def near a GNC and a Walmart-anyone got any recommendations for their products(I am having a rny in June)I saw somewhere that Walmart do a cheap sublingual B12.Prob have a shop at Kmart too at some stage.

ANOTHER ISSUE!!any recommendations for WIDE shoes? Footlocker,Payless etc??
Thanks guys
Sue