• LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

I posted a tiny bit in my introduction thread, but thought I'd post here as well. I'm incredibly frustrated with my current situation.. My surgery was 1/29/08.. I lost weight for the first two weeks or so and since then I've been on a five week "Stall".

I spoke to my surgeon & nutritionist two weeks ago and they said give it time.. here it is two weeks more and instead of losing I've gained. I started at 306 day of surgery, went as low as 274 and then this week I'm up in to 277. :confused:

I'm so very careful that every morsel that goes into my mouth is what I'm supposed to be eating, and in the quantities recommended and it all just makes no sense to me at all. How does this happen?

I called my surgeon's office this week and she's on vacation... her PA calls me back and flat out accuses me of sitting here eating ice cream. Well, damn.. wouldn't that cause dumping? As it is, I still vomit one or two 'meals' a week- raw veggies are not my friend, I've found.

I understand that my weight loss would be slower this week due to an inner ear issue I'm currently suffering, which causes dizziness with head movement, but that's only been this week, what to explain about the previous four and why would I actually gain, even with the lower movement, given the number of calories?

I sit here and wonder what the hell I've done by getting this surgery... I feel I've basically ruined my quality of life for no clear gain.. it would all be worth it if I was able to be healthier and fitter and be able become active.

Added to all of this, instead of reducing my medications, I've gone from needing only oral medication for my diabetes to needing insulin. I was devastated when they told me this would be necessary, but I've adjusted to this mentally. Insulin shots with the pen-style applicator are not hard, though I have a lot of pain if I give the shots in my arms and my thighs are constantly bruised, I can live with this a lot easier mentally than I can with the fact that I did this surgery without losing more weight than this.

I really don't mind the idea of how I've had to change my life with my relationship to food IF it meant I would be able to do things like go dancing, walking, camping, etc without pain or being out of breath.. but to have to live my life as a gastric bypass person without the benefits of less weight on my joints and on my body is just too much to bear.

I guess I just don't understand how one can actually gain weight when eating less than 500 to 600 calories a day at most and I'm having a very difficult time with the depression that stems from this situation. I won't be able to see my doctor until a week from today and I find this is so very stressful and I needed to just get this out of me, I hope typing this up and getting it out helps. I cry very often over this situation I feel I am in.

Edited by mistymee, 21 March 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#2 rappaport

rappaport

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hilario Juarez
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Start Weight:435
  • Current Weight:201
  • Goal Weight:220
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:11/07/2007

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

I've experienced a five-week stall myself, and I know how depressing it can be, but you've just got to hang tough. I know you've heard this before, but we all lose weight at different rates, it's just our body physiology. Are your eating patterns the same every day? Your metabolism is a mysterious wonder and needs to be tricked on occasion to get it moving sometimes. For me, increasing my protein to over 100g a day was a big boost. And of course, exercising is key as well. Even it's just a small amount, it's a boost to your metabolism.

Another factor to consider is that you experienced this stall during the dreaded 4-6 week post-op timeframe. While your weight is stalling, you are still losing inches. It's just a period of time when your body is finally healing from surgery.
David

#3 I_love_Hello Kitty

I_love_Hello Kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kelly Francis, OC Memorial

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

I know the frustration you are feeling...early out I had a 5 to 6 week stall...true I did not gain...but I felt very very sick.

I did question , however, WHY I had done this...WHY did I go to this trouble, and find I was not able to enjoy any eating...force myself to eat things I hated etc, I was vomitting.......but let me tell you HANG IN THERE...

I am now 7 months out and over 80 lbs down... I can eat most things I like in small quantities. I have no pain, no vomitting...and I feel so much better.

Please know it will get better. If you follow the proper diet prescribed to you you will do well. Just stay with it. I'll bet the diabetes will even go away. Honestly, I know it is hard...but you will lose weight. Stay the course...it will happen.
S I M O N E
(I_love_Hello Kitty)

start/current/goal
264/162/145?
TT Gym rat club member #46

OVERWEIGHT and not OBESE anymore!!

Surgery Date: 8/14/07
ONEDERLAND 12/19/07
CENTURY CLUB 6/22/08

#4 Godsblessedme

Godsblessedme

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Simon
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:177
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2007

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

totally know where your coming from, first of all as it was said to me TOSS THE SCALE AWAY! or hide it at least where your not weighing everyday. I'm 3 months post op and i literally hit stalls every other week. My doctor says its very normal for you body to "think" its starving and hold onto every calorie you put in your mouth. One thing my surgeon did suggest heavily, is that you must do some form of excersize. It helps your body NOT to stall and increases the weight loss.
But as its been said already here, just be patient you will loose weight and not every person looses 90 pounds in 3 months everyone's body is totally differernt so hang on it will be okay and i agree you are in that famous post op stall period that all of us face.
Deborah
Highest weight 268
Surgery Date: 12/18/07 Lap RNY
Current Loss: However far this journey will take me Current Weight:174 (10/16/10) Never even made it close to my goal, maybe one day i will but for right NOW, i'm loving this life!

#5 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for your replies...... it really helps having someone to talk to that understands. My fianc is fabulous, I couldn't have asked for anyone better, but he was able to lose his excess weight through diet changes and exercise. Though he understands a lot , he's not been in my shoes so he can only go so far in reassuring me.

Being able to reach out to others is a godsend. My local support group is not really that local and getting into and out of Boston at night by myself is nerve-racking.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#6 Phoenixfire

Phoenixfire

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Surgeon:(Ret.) Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi Kel, I suggest you go find (or go buy) ASAP a tape measure. Someone else said the same thing I thought: "AH! she's in that losing inches not lbs. stage!" I remember it. And yes this will pass, you HAVE changed yourself and it IS going to work. I know it's not much consolation to hear words, not when the scale is saying something else, so go get a tape measure NOW! Hopefully you have your measurements from before surgery? My surgeon had them, so his staff should be able to read them to you if you don't have them yourself. This was part of my own journey, and it helped A LOT. I can pull out my journal still today and see how I shrunk in measurements when lbs. weren't going away.

Open Roux-en-Y on October, 2002 - 7 year anniversary is right around the corner
Height: 5'8"
Highest weight: 300 lbs. with a BMI of 45.6 :eek:
Current weight: 140-145 lbs. and a size 6/8 with a BMI of 21.7 :D
Total weight lost after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 160 lbs. POUNDS!

#7 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hi Kel, I suggest you go find (or go buy) ASAP a tape measure. Someone else said the same thing I thought: "AH! she's in that losing inches not lbs. stage!" I remember it. And yes this will pass, you HAVE changed yourself and it IS going to work. I know it's not much consolation to hear words, not when the scale is saying something else, so go get a tape measure NOW! Hopefully you have your measurements from before surgery? My surgeon had them, so his staff should be able to read them to you if you don't have them yourself. This was part of my own journey, and it helped A LOT. I can pull out my journal still today and see how I shrunk in measurements when lbs. weren't going away.

I foolishly did not take measurements before I went in for surgery. I did find some from a year ago, though. Err... checking those was not a good idea... :eek:

They were from 4/7/07 , so almost exactly a year ago. I must've gained a lot in that year prior to my surgery because after going from my high in Nov of 317 to now at 275.. the measurements are close to the same. ::sigh

At least I have them now for my next 'stall', assuming I ever get out of *this* stall.

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#8 Janelle

Janelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Boyce

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Yes, this will definitely help you through your next stall. I have been very unimpressed with the loss I see on the scale, but the measurements PROVE that I'm getting smaller. Hang in there!
www.myspace.com/janelle1970

263/126.8/135/117
Highest/Current/Surgeon's Goal/My Goal

Pre-Op 263.8
April 4 257.8
May 4 244.0
June 4 228.8
July 4 214
Aug 4 203
Sept 4 191

Nov 4 169.6
Dec 4 154
Jan 4 145.6
Feb 4 134.8
Mar 4 130
One year...133.8 pounds gone!

[/COLOR]

#9 frances

frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Surgeon:S. Patching
  • Hospital:Sutter General 8/03
  • Start Weight:263
  • Current Weight:133
  • Goal Weight:124
  • Surgery Date:08/28/2003

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

I posted a tiny bit in my introduction thread, but thought I'd post here as well. I'm incredibly frustrated with my current situation.. My surgery was 1/29/08.. I lost weight for the first two weeks or so and since then I've been on a five week "Stall".

I spoke to my surgeon & nutritionist two weeks ago and they said give it time.. here it is two weeks more and instead of losing I've gained. I started at 306 day of surgery, went as low as 274 and then this week I'm up in to 277. :confused:

I'm so very careful that every morsel that goes into my mouth is what I'm supposed to be eating, and in the quantities recommended and it all just makes no sense to me at all. How does this happen?

I called my surgeon's office this week and she's on vacation... her PA calls me back and flat out accuses me of sitting here eating ice cream. Well, damn.. wouldn't that cause dumping? As it is, I still vomit one or two 'meals' a week- raw veggies are not my friend, I've found.

I understand that my weight loss would be slower this week due to an inner ear issue I'm currently suffering, which causes dizziness with head movement, but that's only been this week, what to explain about the previous four and why would I actually gain, even with the lower movement, given the number of calories?

I sit here and wonder what the hell I've done by getting this surgery... I feel I've basically ruined my quality of life for no clear gain.. it would all be worth it if I was able to be healthier and fitter and be able become active.

Added to all of this, instead of reducing my medications, I've gone from needing only oral medication for my diabetes to needing insulin. I was devastated when they told me this would be necessary, but I've adjusted to this mentally. Insulin shots with the pen-style applicator are not hard, though I have a lot of pain if I give the shots in my arms and my thighs are constantly bruised, I can live with this a lot easier mentally than I can with the fact that I did this surgery without losing more weight than this.

I really don't mind the idea of how I've had to change my life with my relationship to food IF it meant I would be able to do things like go dancing, walking, camping, etc without pain or being out of breath.. but to have to live my life as a gastric bypass person without the benefits of less weight on my joints and on my body is just too much to bear.

I guess I just don't understand how one can actually gain weight when eating less than 500 to 600 calories a day at most and I'm having a very difficult time with the depression that stems from this situation. I won't be able to see my doctor until a week from today and I find this is so very stressful and I needed to just get this out of me, I hope typing this up and getting it out helps. I cry very often over this situation I feel I am in.

I agree with everyone else's comments. This happens but whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE UP. What you are experiencing (IMHO) is your body doing what it thinks it is supposed to do which is protect you from starvation. You have to cut it a little slack and allow it to adjust. You just keep on doing the right thing and it will level out again and then start releasing more pounds.

Don't give up. You CAN do this!!

Edited by frances, 22 March 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#10 rainrain

rainrain

Community Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationNorth County Coastal/ San Diego, Ca.
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:296
  • Current Weight:175
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/27/2004

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

I wish I could help you by saying the right words, but time will show you that you will jump out of the "stall" and begin loosing weight and not stop untill you reach an acceptable weight.
I promise, in fact I am so sure, I will bet the 130 pounds I lost on it....
Relax and focus on healthy and nutritious food choices and move your body as much as you possible can!!

It will happen....really!

https://www.facebook...ton.afterthefat

Dr. Callery's Support Group Leader

http://www.thinnerti...support-groups/

www.afterthefat.com

12-27-04 Dr. Callery (Open RNY)
296 pre-op
Current 175 5'7"1/2

Love yourself enough to choose healthy!!

#11 LANDI

LANDI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Alverdy
  • Hospital:University of Chicago Hospitals
  • Start Weight:253
  • Current Weight:217

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for sending this to me. . .I feel better. Every time that I came on here, which is many times a day, I was getting soooo depressed--feeling like you stated. Wanted this to be on again so that people new/and, about to be new, can have some of the understandings that I needed right about now. WITH MUCH LOVE--LANDI

#12 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for sending this to me. . .I feel better. Every time that I came on here, which is many times a day, I was getting soooo depressed--feeling like you stated. Wanted this to be on again so that people new/and, about to be new, can have some of the understandings that I needed right about now. WITH MUCH LOVE--LANDI

I'm so glad that you found it comforting to read..the day I posted that I was really at my wits end, certain that I had 'failed' at this.. and look at me now.. :)

#13 Rudy8844

Rudy8844

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Tom Jones
  • Hospital:Methodist Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:265
  • Current Weight:147
  • Surgery Date:04/16/2009

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

I love this site! I was so glad to find these posts! I honestly have been thinking that maybe the surgery didnt work or something for me! I am in week 4 and I have not lost weight in a week! I actually GAINED one pound this week! How annoying! Reading everyones comments sure makes me feel better.... maybe my surgery will work after all :)
PRE-OP/current/goal
Surgery Date 04/16/09

Katie

#14 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

I love this site! I was so glad to find these posts! I honestly have been thinking that maybe the surgery didnt work or something for me! I am in week 4 and I have not lost weight in a week! I actually GAINED one pound this week! How annoying! Reading everyones comments sure makes me feel better.... maybe my surgery will work after all :)

Oh, it is *so* weird (but fun, ironically!!) to see my post pop back up again.

I was incredibly frustrated and I had a hard time believing what people told me but sure enough- they were right! :)

I was afraid I'd have no health benefits from the surgery and instead my health is better than ever! No insulin, No Blood pressure meds, No Cholesterol meds.. I can walk (though not w/o pain but in my foot and has nothing to do with my weight), DH & I dance together on occasion :) And we're planning several camping trips soon woo hoo!

Good luck, Ruby.. I hope you soon see the results of the hard work you're dealing with!

#15 ragazzarosa

ragazzarosa

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Gregg Jossart
  • Hospital:Good Samaritan, San Jose
  • Start Weight:338
  • Current Weight:215
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33.8
  • Surgery Date:12/15/2008

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

It's so awesome to read your original post and to know how great the story turns out - it's always nice when one of these threads is revived... It really makes me smile! :)
Suzanne

Height: 5'7" (close enough :P) Surgery Date: 12/15/08

DoS/Current/Surgeon's Goal/My Goal
330.8/178.4/160/135

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GOALS:
Two-terville: 01/23/09
50 lbs down: 02/23/09
BMI < 40 no longer M.O.: 06/08/09
Century Club: 07/30/09
One-derland: 12/07/09
BMI < 39 no longer obese: 04/14/10
150 lbs down!!!: 05/25/10

"I am even happier than Jane. She only smiles, I laugh."

#16 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:35 AM

thanks for sharing this thread, kel. it really helps me to know stalls happen to others, too...

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#17 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

It's so awesome to read your original post and to know how great the story turns out - it's always nice when one of these threads is revived... It really makes me smile! :)

thanks for sharing this thread, kel. it really helps me to know stalls happen to others, too...

Glad it helps! Even though I'm not where I want to be, I am just so much better off now than I was... and I still kind of chuckle at it all, considering even with all the stalls, I still somehow managed to lose a lot of weight that first few months! go figure!

Posted Image

#18 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

really thanks. I'm gonna go eat more, drink more, try to exercise more and hopefully LOSE more! thanks for being at my elbow....

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#19 Tina Shannon

Tina Shannon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Hospital:Park Nicolett

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:29 AM

I can't begin to tell you ladies how better you've made me feel...I am 9 months out and I've lost 92 pounds but I haven't lost any in about 3 weeks so more even. I'm still 190 lbs and really don't want to me done here. So there is hope right??
Surgery Date October 7, 2008

Weight day of surgery - 280lbs

#20 Godsblessedme

Godsblessedme

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Steven Simon
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:177
  • Surgery Date:12/18/2007

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

Tina no your not done, however i will say that excersize is KEY plain and simple and i dont mean a few minutes on a treadmill or elliptical, i mean 1 hour cardio burning up fat kind of excersize. you have come this far and its time to kick it up a notch
Deborah
Highest weight 268
Surgery Date: 12/18/07 Lap RNY
Current Loss: However far this journey will take me Current Weight:174 (10/16/10) Never even made it close to my goal, maybe one day i will but for right NOW, i'm loving this life!