MiladyB

Medications postop

A-HA another thread that is worthy of hitting the google icon.

Thank you so much for putting this together Beth.

A-HA another thread that is worthy of hitting the google icon.

Thank you so much for putting this together Beth.

You're welcome. My pleasure. :)

MiladyB, I was wondering if you knew if we can do the nasal sprays, I have a cold and I'm ok with the achy body and feeling crappy but I hate a stuffy nose. I can't sleep and I have always used the Nasal 12 hour decongestant but I'm afraid to try it. Would you happen to know if it's ok to use.

Thank you,

Blay

MiladyB, I was wondering if you knew if we can do the nasal sprays, I have a cold and I'm ok with the achy body and feeling crappy but I hate a stuffy nose. I can't sleep and I have always used the Nasal 12 hour decongestant but I'm afraid to try it. Would you happen to know if it's ok to use.

Thank you,

Blay

Blay, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be a problem at all. Decongestents don't pose a problem for us post-op. So I would say it should be fine to use.

Nov. 24 I had a large synovial cyst removed from my lower spinal canal along with 2 fusions below the cyst. I was in the hospital 8 days and it took them 4 days to finally get my pain somewhat under control. (This is mainly because the nurses were giving me only half the pain meds ordered by my doc because they were worried I would stop breathing). Sadists.

Now that I am home, I am still on pain meds and wearing a delightful hard shell brace. So very attractive. I digress.

I am on the liquid oxycodone, 2 tsp. every 4 hours...a 5 mg valium every 8 hours and 1 30 mg. oxycontin pill every 12 hours.

I have been reading here about pain meds and how they are absorbed and know that the oxycontin must be a slow release medication. I still have quite a bit of pain and am now wondering if taking this is for naught. Is it having any effect whatsoever if it doesn't have time to "release" into my system?

The people working at my neurosurgeons office seem to be oblivious to the needs of gastric bypass patients; though the health care provider they are associated with (Aspirus) is a center of excellence for gastric bypass surgery...or at least that is what I was told.

I has to struggle with them just to get the liquid oxycodone.

I would appreciate any input into this as I need to get this pain under control and speed up the healing process. I'm going to be in this brace for probably another month and hope to be out of it soon after. But this isn't going to happen without the correct pain meds.

Thank you for your support...many hugs to all...the mums

Nov. 24 I had a large synovial cyst removed from my lower spinal canal along with 2 fusions below the cyst. I was in the hospital 8 days and it took them 4 days to finally get my pain somewhat under control. (This is mainly because the nurses were giving me only half the pain meds ordered by my doc because they were worried I would stop breathing). Sadists.

Now that I am home, I am still on pain meds and wearing a delightful hard shell brace. So very attractive. I digress.

I am on the liquid oxycodone, 2 tsp. every 4 hours...a 5 mg valium every 8 hours and 1 30 mg. oxycontin pill every 12 hours.

I have been reading here about pain meds and how they are absorbed and know that the oxycontin must be a slow release medication. I still have quite a bit of pain and am now wondering if taking this is for naught. Is it having any effect whatsoever if it doesn't have time to "release" into my system?

The people working at my neurosurgeons office seem to be oblivious to the needs of gastric bypass patients; though the health care provider they are associated with (Aspirus) is a center of excellence for gastric bypass surgery...or at least that is what I was told.

I has to struggle with them just to get the liquid oxycodone.

I would appreciate any input into this as I need to get this pain under control and speed up the healing process. I'm going to be in this brace for probably another month and hope to be out of it soon after. But this isn't going to happen without the correct pain meds.

Thank you for your support...many hugs to all...the mums

Mumsy, the extended release drugs are in a little bit more of a "grey" area. Some people absorb them just fine but others find that they don't because the length of our digestive system has decreased.

When I've talked to my surgeon about the time released meds he says he bases it on if the medication seems to be working for his patients. If they don't seem to be effectively working then there is a good chance they aren't being totally absorbed. If they are working? Well then no problem taking them.

I would say that if you are still in pain you may want to re-address this issue. Maybe you could get some kind of suggestion from your bariatric surgeon about pain control meds?

Just a thought.

Thanks for such a quick reply Milady!

I just got off the phone with my surgeons nurse; who is already concerned about my dependence on the pain killers. I've gone thru this type of situation when I had two knee replacements within the space of a couple of years and became dependent on pain meds. I had quite the time of going thru the whole withdrawal process.

Sadly, I believe I have become dependent on these meds since I am experiencing some withdrawal symptoms if I go too long without taking a "dose". Arghhhhhhhhh!! I really feel like I'm between the proverbial "rock and a hard place"!

So I got quite the lecture from the nurse (as my surgeon was sitting in the same room to boot) as to weaning me off the meds and now I'm all in a tizzy that it is too soon after my surgery to start the weaning process. Oh boogers anyway.

But the info about the oxicotin was very interesting to me because now I know that this could be helping me. I thought for sure it was just going in one end and out the other without even dissolving. HA! Oh maybe not so funny.

But thanks again for sharing our knowledge. You are such a blessing to this forum and don't you EVER forget it!!:D

love and a hug...the mums

The weather here has been crazy with it being a high in the 30's one day and then today its almost 70. I've got some kind of sinus/cold thing going on and just did a search to find out what to take and came upon this thread. Thanks Beth!!

What about Airborne? (the fizzy tablet that you put in a drink of water if you feel like your'e getting sick?) Echinacea? Garlic? I have had really great success with these when I have gotten sick.

Beth,

This thread is a life saver.

I didn't want to bother my Doctor for every single sniffle and Voila! After two weeks of suffering, I now know exactly what I can safely take and in the future, I will!

Thank -you, thank-you, thank-you!

What about our regular prescription meds? After surgery, do you think my dosage of these will have to be increased due to malabsorption? For example, I take synthroid for underactive thyroid, plaquenil for lupus, zyrtec, and atenelol. I hadn't thought about it but i guess my dosage on all of these will change/increase.

Christine

What about our regular prescription meds? After surgery, do you think my dosage of these will have to be increased due to malabsorption? For example, I take synthroid for underactive thyroid, plaquenil for lupus, zyrtec, and atenelol. I hadn't thought about it but i guess my dosage on all of these will change/increase.

Christine

Your dosage might need to be adjusted. I think it depends on the med, and sometimes it depends on the person. Some people might experience more malabsorption of some things than others. I suggest you discuss it with your surgeon and get his or her advice. Your PCP, if that is who normally prescribes these drugs for you, may not be familiar with how malabsorption works after RNY. So get your surgeon's advice and make any changes recommended, but then be very observant of how you do after surgery. If you notice changes in your condition that suggest you aren't absorbing your meds well, talk to your doctor.

Kelly

Do we have to crush medications after surgery? I have some that really don't taste good at all!

I did at the beginning for fear that it would get stuck. Eventually, you won't have to. If a pill is too big, you may have to cut it up. If I crush mine, I put it in applesauce and eat it.

Do we have to crush medications after surgery? I have some that really don't taste good at all!

It depends on who you ask. Some docs recommend it, some say it's not necessary. It may depend on how big your pills are. I took a number of medications for depression right after surgery and had no problem swallowing them whole. I just took one pill at a time. They gave them to me in the hospitals about 12 hours after my surgery. The next day they sent me home with Vicodin tablets for pain and I had no trouble swallowing those, either.

Kelly

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will swallow the smaller ones and mix the others with applesauce...that should be better!

What can I take for headaches ? Tylenol is not helping me ;(

What can I take for headaches ? Tylenol is not helping me ;(

In regards to OTC meds? I'm afraid Tylenol is it. If the Tylenol isn't working you may have to contact your doctor and see if he can order something for you. When it comes to prescription meds you could do Lortab, Tramadol, Tylenol #3. If you think the headache could be related to sinus's you could add in something like Sudafed or actifed

wow, this thread is amazing. thank you so much beth! if you don't mind, i actually just took 2 dayquil gelcaps because i've had a cold the last 2 days and now i decided to take something for it. for about 3 to 5 minutes after taking them, my upper stomach area (below the breasts, in the center, sternum area) felt really warm/hot almost as if it were on a mild fire and a slight "cramp" feel where if you like crunch up to put pressure on it then it feels better.

do you think this is possibly a cause of the alcohol in it or is this normal? it went away and i feel fine as if i didnt even feel that. do you know if thats a problem with the medicine or me absorbing it?

I doubt that it has anything to do with the alcohol. Not sure what is going on except maybe it got stuck a bit? It kind of sounds as if it may have. That's usually where it will hurt if it gets stuck. Also you actually may be having spasms too. You tend see the spasms more with the sleeve but it is possible with the RNY too.

Are antibiotics ok to take post surgery for things like strep throat etc or skin infections that may occur from excess skin? I'm still in the beginning stages of researching local facilities. I'm leaning towards Tufts based on what I read and hear from my primary doc. I am so scared aboutbthis process..

Are antibiotics ok to take post surgery for things like strep throat etc or skin infections that may occur from excess skin? I'm still in the beginning stages of researching local facilities. I'm leaning towards Tufts based on what I read and hear from my primary doc. I am so scared aboutbthis process..

No, there is no problem with taking antibiotics.

It can be an over-whelming and scary process but just do your homework. I'm sure you will find a surgeon who you are comfortable with.

Does anyone get hayfever? I usually take Piriton or Piriteze over here but they're time-release. Why can't we take time-release pills?

Yes, thank you for this. Dayquil and Nyquil are my go-to drugs when I get sick. So nice to know I will probably be able to take the again, eventually.