MiladyB

Medications postop

Safe Remedies for Colds or Flu

We are in the middle of cold and flu season. If you have caught a bug, you may be confused about which over the counter remedies are usually acceptable or not for us to take. This article from my book, “Weight Loss Surgery; Finding the Thin Person Hiding Inside You” will guide you through.

Taking Pills Post-Op

It is important to continue your prescribed medications post-op. But you may be concerned about taking pills that are large fearing that they might get stuck. You can try crushing your pills and putting them in something like a little bit of applesauce. Or you can buy a pill splitter to cut them in half. However, be careful if you take timed or sustained released medication. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to determine if the medication you take falls into this category. These medications are not designed to be crushed and can release medications too quickly into your system.

Timed and sustained release medications may no longer be the best choice if you have had gastric bypass surgery. These are designed to slowly break down in the stomach and intestines. Because of the change in your anatomy, they may not be absorbed correctly. Immediate release medications seem to be better suited for gastric bypass patients. Talk to your doctor about this.

Also, be sure that your primary care physician understands how rapidly you will be losing weight. Many conditions are drastically improved soon after weight loss surgery including high blood pressure. Your physician needs to monitor your medicationsso that they are correct for your changing needs. A patient from my local support group was on blood pressure medication and about a month or two after surgery started complaining of dizziness and feeling faint. When her problem was isolated, her doctor discovered that her high blood pressure medication was now too strong for her, causing her blood pressure to drop too low, making her feel faint.

In general, any non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug is not acceptable because they tend to cause bleeding and stomach ulcers.

The following list is a general guide to over-the-counter drugs. Be sure to check with your own surgeon to ensure that he or she agrees with these recommendations.

Medications to Avoid (NSAIDs)

Advil

Alka-Seltzer

Vanquish

Aspirin

Bufferin

Coricidin

Cortisone

Excedrin

Fiorinol

Ibuprofen

Motrin

Pepto-Bismol

Medications That Are Recommended For Colds

Benadryl

Dimetapp

Robitussin

Sudafed

Triaminics

Tylenol Cold Products

Medications That Are Usually Well Tolerated

(Try to obtain sugar-free or diabetic formulas for any of these products.)

Peri-Colace

Panadol

Tylenol

Tylenol Extra Strength

Gas-X

Phazyme

Colace

Dulcolax Suppositories

Fleet Enemas

Glycerin Suppositories

Milk of Magnesia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add: Some of you were asking about NyQuil and DayQuil so I thought I would add this information so that you can make your own choice if you want to use it or not.

I checked online for the ingredients of NyQuil and DayQuil in both forms. I've highlighted the ingredients of mild concern.

Here is what I found:

NyQuil Liquid Caps:

Ingredients

Active Ingredients (in each LiquiCap) (Purpose)

Acetaminophen 325 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)

Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg (Cough suppressant)

Doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg (Antihistamine)

Inactive Ingredients

D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 1, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

NyQuil Liquid

Ingredients

Active Ingredients (in each 15 ml tablespoon) (Purpose)

Acetaminophen 500 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)

Inactive Ingredients

Original: alcohol, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate

Cherry: alcohol, citric acid, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate

DayQuil Liquid

Ingredients

Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg (Cough suppressant)

Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg (Nasal decongestant)

Inactive Ingredients

Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, disodium EDTA, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, sorbitol, sucralose

DayQuil LiquiCaps

Ingredients

Inactive Ingredients

FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C Yellow No. 6, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

Basicly these are fine unless you are really sensitive to the alcohol, sugars or sugar substitutes in them. The caps may be better to take than the liquid but early postop the caps would be way too large for your pouch to tolerate. I wouldn't try the caps before 4 weeks postop.

Edited by MiladyB

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I am forever worried about what to take and what not to take. Glad I saw this post and thanks again for posting it!

Beth,

What is Panadol?

Mary, Panadol is another over the counter drug that essentially is Tylenol.

Due to that Im sick!!Yep!! I really needed that info!! I still cannot take insaids even though i was reveresed!! So, I wrote all those down thats one last call to the doc that has been kinda hard to get ahold of!! But, he does call even if it is 7pm in the evening!!Anyway thanks very much for the time dueing that!!:)

I'm glad I could help out. :) As a support group leader I tend to run into a lot of great information and I just like passing it on to all of you! Hey, that's what we are all here for, right? To give a helping hand. ;)

I never see Nyquil or Dayquil on any of these lists, I wonder why. I talked with my pharmacist and she said it should not be a problem for me to take, anyone else heard anything about it?

Trish, there is some debate about DayQuil and NyQuil. My surgeon's office doesn't recommend it because of the alcholol content but personally I've gone ahead and used them without a problem. There isn't anything else in there should be harmful to your pouch. Early postop you may want to stay away from them but later on in my personal opinion they should both be fine but some people may have trouble with them.

Thanks Beth.

I tried Tylenol cold and it did nothing for me at all. Took the dayquil and nyquil and started feeling much better and was able to sleep through the night. The alcohol content is so low. I can see if it was being taken daily over a long period of time, but the 3-4 days that a cold may last I don't see how it could harm.

Thanks Beth.

I tried Tylenol cold and it did nothing for me at all. Took the dayquil and nyquil and started feeling much better and was able to sleep through the night. The alcohol content is so low. I can see if it was being taken daily over a long period of time, but the 3-4 days that a cold may last I don't see how it could harm.

You're welcome, Trish. I know my surgeon's office tends to be over cautious. I'm fine with that but you did the right thing by asking the pharmacist. There isn't any NSAIDs in there so it really is relatively safe. I think the reason my surgeon's office doesn't recommend it is because early out it may be a bit of a problem and it may be a problem for a select group of people.

Beth, I had John stickie this! YAY!! :D

Beth, I had John stickie this! YAY!! :D

hehehe...you've been busy my little duck! :D

I'm not sure about the liquid but the pill version of Nyquil has tylenol, sudafed, and benedryl in it. I did not see anything about any alcohol content. The liquid may have alcohol but the caplets don't.

I'm not sure about the liquid but the pill version of Nyquil has tylenol, sudafed, and benedryl in it. I did not see anything about any alcohol content. The liquid may have alcohol but the caplets don't.

Good thing to know Deirdrea!

Edited by MiladyB

Well people, I checked online for the ingredients of NyQuil and DayQuil in both forms. I've highlighted the ingredients of mild concern.

Here is what I found:

NyQuil Liquid Caps:

Ingredients

Inactive Ingredients

D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 1, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

NyQuil Liquid

Ingredients

Acetaminophen 500 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)

Inactive Ingredients

Original: alcohol, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate

Cherry: alcohol, citric acid, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate

DayQuil Liquid

Ingredients

Inactive Ingredients

Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, disodium EDTA, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium benzoate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate, sorbitol, sucralose

DayQuil LiquiCaps

Ingredients

Inactive Ingredients

FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C Yellow No. 6, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

Basicly these are fine unless you are really sensitive to the alcohol, sugars or sugar substitutes in them. If you tolerate them fine, it would be fine to take them. :D

Edited by MiladyB

Beth - thank you for that Nyquil break down, you rock! :D

What about midol?

Hi Blair! Here is what Midol has in it.

Active Ingredients (in each caplet) Purpose

Acetaminophen 500 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Pain reliever

Pamabrom 25 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Diuretic

Pyrilamine maleate 15 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Diuretic

It should be fine. Only concern I would have is the diuretic in it. Diuretics are fine, I actually am on a prescribed one but you do need to make sure you up your fluid intake if you are taking any kind of diuretic.

Hi Blair! Here is what Midol has in it.

Active Ingredients (in each caplet) Purpose

Acetaminophen 500 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Pain reliever

Pamabrom 25 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Diuretic

Pyrilamine maleate 15 mg . . . . . . . . . . . Diuretic

It should be fine. Only concern I would have is the diuretic in it. Diuretics are fine, I actually am on a prescribed one but you do need to make sure you up your fluid intake if you are taking any kind of diuretic.

Thanks! I always make sure to drink lots of water on any medication.

I am on a new birth control and it gives me cramps and PMS [which I didn't get before, haha, but then again I was never "regular" before birth control]

Anyway, thanks again for your input!

What is the issue with pepto bismo?

Shannon, Pepto Bismol is an NSAIDs. When you are looking at labels keep your eyes open for the word Salicylates. That is one indication that it is a type of NSAIDs.

Another name for Pepto Bismol is Bismuth Subsalicylate

Another indication that the drug may be an NSAIDs is to read the contraindications. If it makes some kind of comment about not taking it if you have ulcers or a bleeding problem then that should cause a little red flag to go up in your mind. More than likely that drug will be an NSAIDs.

For example this is the warning that goes along with Pepto Bismol

Do NOT use Pepto-Bismol Suspension if:

you are allergic to any ingredient in Pepto-Bismol Suspension

you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)

you have bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), active bleeding ulcer, black or bloody stools, or Von Willebrand disease

you are taking another salicylate medicine (eg, aspirin)

Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.

Edited by MiladyB

What does it mean to be reversed?

Kathy