Eiball

Questions on the Lap Band

Hi everyone,

I am just starting my journey with the Lap Band. I am interested in how people feel right after the surgery. Do you have to stay on liquids for a while, when do you get to start eating? Right now my nutritionist is having me eat real slow and chewing the food real well. (I always eat too fast) It's a hard habit to break.

Thanks everyone.

:confused: Is there anyone out there who is willing to talk to me about the Lap Band process? Please.... I would like to talk to people who have actually had it done.

Thanks all..... :D

Hi welcome

I had my band placed in Nov. of 06.

After surgery I felt sore, and tired. The tummy to me felt as if I had done a 1000 situps, it was sore. After just a few days tho I felt better. In fact at 4 4 days out I ws walking the mall. At 5 days out I was shopping at Cotco, and at a week out I was really shopping in the after thanksgiving sales. So I got back into the game pretty quick.

As far as foods my Dr had me do 1 week liquids. 1 wek full, then 2 soft, 2 mushie type. but every DR is different. (My DH just had bypass, and his DR had totally differnt rules, that have been a lot faster then mine where for the band) Go figure...

Anyways ask away, or PM me. I dont come everyday, but I go get my emails, and I am pretty open person....

Thank you Val,

I am looking forward to the lifestyle change... I am always hungry and after eating a protein bar I am looking for the rest of the box... so I am hoping that this will be my savior, then help me get back to a healthy lifestyle AGAIN

Thanks for your info... and keep on losing!!

Eileen

Eileen,

I've had gastric bypass so am unable to give you any advice. But wanted you to know that there is a section for lap-band patients on this forum also. I think you would get more responses from that section. But as always feel free to post here too!

Here's the website, then just scroll down to the lap-band section:

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/

Hope this helps!

Cathy

The surgeries are similiar in my opinion,! You have still have to watch what you eat in order to maintain your weight! Also,I do believe you have to watch what you eat after words also, i have heard people change with having the lapband done too "taste wise"? I didnt have the lapband done, wish that i would have though!! Good luck to you!!;)

Thank you for your advise... why are you being reversed? Did you lose too much?

thanks

I was reversed, you can read all about it under "just to let you know"! No, the surgery was not right for me "of course" I got very sick, very close to dying! It was my only option! But, Im on a road to recovery again! Starting all over!! Thanks! Laura;)

I was reversed, you can read all about it under "just to let you know"! No, the surgery was not right for me "of course" I got very sick, very close to dying! It was my only option! But, Im on a road to recovery again! Starting all over!! Thanks! Laura;)

OMG sooo sorry to hear that. As long as your back on the road to recovery that is what matters. I will look for your story,

Thanks again

I have had my band in sicne 25th August 2007 and am very happy with it.

I have now lost over 70lbs and have another 36 to loose for my target before 25th August this year.

I should have had thisdone years ago.

I hope my happy story makes you see it isall worth it

Thank you all for your very helpful info... This will be greatly appreciated when I finally get my banding..

woooo whoooo I have my surgery date April 28th. I can't believe it came that fast. I now have to cram in all the pre-op dr's this coming week.

Thank you all :D

The surgeries are similiar in my opinion,! You have still have to watch what you eat in order to maintain your weight! Also,I do believe you have to watch what you eat after words also, i have heard people change with having the lapband done too "taste wise"? I didnt have the lapband done, wish that i would have though!! Good luck to you!!;)

Hi I was just wandering why you got reversed. I am having lap band surgery but thought of doing the ryn what are your thoughts?

Thanks

grandmaday:)

Hello,

I am not being reversed. The previous poster did. I am having the lap band on June 2nd. They changed my date from April 28th GRRRR It's all good. I really can't wait.

Good luck on your banding.

Eileen

Hi and Welcome,

Congrats on your surgery date. I am now 10 days post-op with the band. My surgery was done on 4-11-08. The first 2 days I kinda felt pretty ruff. On day 3 the morning was bad, but I ended walking 1/2 mile that afternoon. I did not really start feeling "Good" until about day 5-6. The worst part is going to be the gas in your shoulders and the area around the port is very uncomfortable because the port is attached to your tissue and the tissue is still swolen and it makes that area a little uncomfortable but not painful. I too was on clear liquids the first week and I started full liquids on day 7, but today was day 10 and I went for my first follow up visit and was told I could start pureed foods. I was also weighed today and I was very surprised to find that I had lost 16 pounds. I was very pleased with that, however I know that in the next couple of weeks until my first fill, I will probably stall on losing weight and that is ok, cause I have the rest of my life now to loose it. I wish you the best of luck and hang in there your surgery will be here before you know it.

Hi and Welcome,

Congrats on your surgery date. I am now 10 days post-op with the band. My surgery was done on 4-11-08. The first 2 days I kinda felt pretty ruff. On day 3 the morning was bad, but I ended walking 1/2 mile that afternoon. I did not really start feeling "Good" until about day 5-6. The worst part is going to be the gas in your shoulders and the area around the port is very uncomfortable because the port is attached to your tissue and the tissue is still swolen and it makes that area a little uncomfortable but not painful. I too was on clear liquids the first week and I started full liquids on day 7, but today was day 10 and I went for my first follow up visit and was told I could start pureed foods. I was also weighed today and I was very surprised to find that I had lost 16 pounds. I was very pleased with that, however I know that in the next couple of weeks until my first fill, I will probably stall on losing weight and that is ok, cause I have the rest of my life now to loose it. I wish you the best of luck and hang in there your surgery will be here before you know it.

Thank you so much Jennifer. It really helps the jitters when people reach out and tell you how they made out. I am really looking forward to the surgery. My original date was 4/28 :( but they changed it to 6/2 GRR but whatever I can wait... lol Right now I am in the "trying to lose weight before surgery day" lol that is fun.

thanks again

Eileen

Your welcome Eileen, if I can help you with anything please let me know. I have to tell you that I found my most support from people on here. My husband just did not understand like everyone else on here did.

Thank you so much Jennifer. It really helps the jitters when people reach out and tell you how they made out. I am really looking forward to the surgery. My original date was 4/28 :( but they changed it to 6/2 GRR but whatever I can wait... lol Right now I am in the "trying to lose weight before surgery day" lol that is fun.

thanks again

Eileen

Sorry to hear they moved your surgery date back. Believe me, I know how that can be. I actually had to wait 5 months from my last dietician appointment to get the surgery. So many obstacles to deal with.

It was as worth it for me up to this point. Please be sure to read up on all the good, the bad and the ugly. No surgery is 100% safe, and it is better to know all of it before making that final step.

Good luck!