19 replies to this topic

#1 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rosenthal

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

I had a spoonful of tuna fish and a spoon full of cottage cheese this morning (didn't finish it) and after only a couple bites I felt a little pressure so I took a break and felt better and then started again bc I was trying to get down all my meds. Well the pressure feeling came back so I stopped eating and then it just kept getting worse and I've been in pain for like an hour now. I thought I was going to throw up but all that comes out is spit/saliva and I can't really swallow so I've just been spitting it all out. It's the strangest thing, but it really feels like I have food stuck in the middle of my chest. Any advice?
Katie
Height: 5'4
Surgery Date: 12-13-07 (Lap RNY)
highest/surgeryday/current
276/259/175

#2 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

Nevermind, I finally threw up after I posted this. Geez, took long enough :mad:

I haven't thrown up in 12 years, I always joke that my body forgot how, but it surely didn't That was awful... I do feel better now though. I wonder what happened? I've been eating those items for a couple weeks now :confused:
Katie
276/259/175

#3 anji

anji

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

I haven't had good luck with Tuna. It was the first thing I "lost" and I haven't tried it again. But, as I have learned here, something that works one day may not work again. Glad you're feeling better!!
Anji:)
"I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it!!"
Gym Rat #74!!

#4 jules73

jules73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Frank Chae

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hi Katie-
I was just curious-did you eat too fast or take too big of bites? I will just start on pureed foods tomorrow and am a little scared to eat anything because of that.

Jules

#5 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks! My doctor recommended it for my "first" food after my liquid stage, I went with cottage cheese instead and was fine. So I tried the tuna fish a couple days later and I've been fine eating it for almost 3 weeks now, but I don't think I'll be eating it anymore!

I still feel a little pressure in my chest and now I'm scared to drink which is bad. I know I need to but I haven't been able to make myself yet :(
Katie
276/259/175

#6 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

Jules- I guess that's a possibility but I try really hard to go slow and take TEENY tip of my utensil bites. It's hard to tell what caused it...

Goodluck with the purees tomorrow! I did cottage cheese first and was good. I've also done hummus, scallops and shrimp (not pureed just chewed really well), cheese, split pea soup, yogurt, and imitation crab meat with lite mayo. I haven't been sick until today and I've been doing purees for 3 weeks.
Katie
276/259/175

#7 jules73

jules73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Frank Chae

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the food ideas. I knew I would try yogurt and cottage cheese, but kind of clueless as to what else I should try. thanks!
Hope you feel better!

#8 Deirdrea

Deirdrea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Dort

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Make sure you drink and try something different for food. Could just be a pissy pouch episode. They happen and you deal with it. I have that happen usually with chicken that is dry. I sit there and gag and froth and just feel like crap and end up forcing myself to throw up.

If you start not keeping anything down call your doc asap because that is a stricture and it's not something to mess around with.

#9 shereeks

shereeks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yep, sounds like you may have eaten a little too fast. That's exactly what happens to me when I do - foamies, tight chested etc.

Glad you're feeling a little better but please DO drink something!
Lap RNY 09/15/06
Starting/Current/Original Goal/final goal/lowest
299/179/170/140/143 :D
5'3''
Brugge, Belgium
Dr. Bruno Dillemans

Space Major Bear :D

Where did the other half of me go?:eek:

#10 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Benjamin Tribble

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Katie, keep an eye on things...because that's exactly how I started out before I pretty much couldn't keep anything down without getting that awful feeling in my chest...and it turned out to be a stricture.
Lap RNY Surgery Date: April 12, 2007
I'M OVERWEIGHT! Only 00 pounds to go til Onederland! CENTURY CLUB!!! 12/27/07 ONEDERLAND 01/06/08!!

High/Current/Goal 6'0
302/195/180

Mary Kay SALE [COLOR="Indigo"]40% OFF all remaining inventory!

#11 cnvh

cnvh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

For me, that "tight," "stuck" feeling came on whenever I had eaten too fast or not chewed enough-- for whatever reason, things form a "plug" and just will NOT go down. All the spit/saliva is your body's way of producing a lubricant to help ease things along, but lots of times the saliva/mucus can't get past the "plug," either-- so the only way for the stuck stuff to go is UP.

I never really found a way to make it go down, and the first few times, I suffered in misery for the hour + it would take to come up... eventually I figured out that if I gulped some water (one or two mouthfuls), it would stir things up enough that I would be able to vomit up whatever was in the way. (Tried sticking my finger down my throat-- that didn't work; it made me gag but didn't move anything.)

Keep in mind, I didn't try the "gulp water" thing until at least 4 or 5 months after surgery... this would probably NOT be good advice for someone newly post-op, with stuff still healing down there.

After it happens, try to go back to sipping water and stay on liquids for the rest of the day... if you can get water down afterwards, and pureed/soft food the next day, it's probably not a stricture, more likely that you just got something stuck. But if you get to the point that this happens after every time you eat, or if you can't even get liquids down, then call your doctor ASAP because it may indeed be a stricture.

And if you can't get water down, DO NOT WAIT on this-- you don't want to let it go to the point you get dehydrated; from what I hear, that is NOT a pleasant thing to endure.

Surgery: DECEMBER 8, 2006

day of surgery/lowest/current/goal
322/200/240/175
-82 lbs. total

#12 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

hanks guys...I'm feeling much better. Whatever was "stuck" finally passed around 5pm. I ate around noon and threw up around 2 and felt better but still had pressure. I hadn't drank anything at all today so at like 5pm I decided I'd try a little bit of chicken noodle soup broth and had like 5 tiny sips and had a lot of pain so I stopped. Then I started the spitting thing again and about 15 minutes later the pressure went completely away. I'm thinking maybe the liquid helped push it down. I did talk to the doctor earlier and he said that I probably had a vitamin stuck and that I'd be ok and to take it easy. I know it wasn't a vitamin though because they're all crushed or chewed. It must have been the tuna fish I guess, maybe not moist enough or just too big a bite. I'm scared to eat now but I'm really weak which makes me feel yucky. I think I'm going to do the liquids tomorrow just to be safe and then start again on purees on Friday. I've had less than 16oz of water today (eek) and had MAYBE an ounce of food. I'm just thankful I'm keeping the liquids down, if I wasn't I was going to have to go to the hospital so I'm relieved about that. I'm continuing to just sip, sip, sip. Thank you for all the help!
Katie
276/259/175

#13 Toony

Toony

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

given the trauma of the day... have you felt hungry at all?

Poor Katie Jr... I hope that never happens to you again!!!

HUGS from Katie Sr. :)

#14 Blueyz

Blueyz

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Charles Callery- my hero
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Nevermind, I finally threw up after I posted this. Geez, took long enough :mad:

I haven't thrown up in 12 years, I always joke that my body forgot how, but it surely didn't That was awful... I do feel better now though. I wonder what happened? I've been eating those items for a couple weeks now :confused:

Did you mix the tuna with mayo. Mayo always makes me dump. Sometimes I eat something that I always eat and then one day I just can't eat it. Some days, I can eat more of the same item than other days, too. I have come to a conclusion that my pouch changes some days and I think it also depends on how hydrated I am. Pretty strange, huh?
Blueyz :P
Open 7/14/04 w/Dr. Callery 4 years out
239/103/125 below Goal fluctuating between 108-115
BMI 18.8~Dr. C is ok with my weight...yeah

#15 Omaha Jim

Omaha Jim

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Thomas White
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

Tuna is something my Doctor warned me about. Says many GBS folks have trouble with it. I need to pursue the why's, but just a thought. Glad your feeling better. Try getting a pill crusher, crush your meds - add to natural applesause ot light yogurt.
Best Regards

Jim

447.3:eek:/424/212
:rolleyes:
/220
Highest/Was/Is/Will Be
Lap RNY 11/19/2007

http://www.thelesserman.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/jmranes/

Century Club 08 Feb 2008
2terville 12 Apr 2008
05/19/2008 - 6 Month Surgiversary - 153 Pounds Gone.
Double Century Club - 10/9/2008:cool:
11/19/2008 1 Year Surgiversary - 203 Pounds Gone

The Omaha Bear aka HuggyBear

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

Thanks guys! I feel totally fine today, a little weak but no pain at all. I think I might just stick with water today though to give my pouch a rest.

I do have a pill crusher that I've been using since before I even started purees to take my atenolol. I don't know what I would do without that handy little thing! I think I mustt have just taken too quick a bite or something trying to gag down all those gross pills I'm taking now. Or maybe just a bite that was too dry. I'm taking 13 pills a day (chewable, capsules opened up, dissolvable and crushed) and have a schedule so I was doing my best to take allll my morning ones so not to mess up the rest of the day and probably just did it too fast trying to wash away the taste without realizing. The second I feel pressure I stop but it was already too late.. whatever was stuck was STUCK and good too, for 5 hours. I think if it happens again *fingers crossed* I'll try a little water to help push it down.

Does anyone know if the opening from the esophagus to the stomach is smaller than before? I always hear about the "stoma" size being tiny now but that's from stomach to intestine right?
Katie
276/259/175

#17 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

They usually reconnect on both sides, depending on what type of surgery you had.. so yes, the opening probably is much much smaller going into the stomach and going out of it, hence why things get "stuck"... and also what causes strictures, as tissue heals and constricts, making things get "stuck" and come back up on a regular basis.
I'M OVERWEIGHT! Only 00 pounds to go til Onederland! CENTURY CLUB!!! 12/27/07 ONEDERLAND 01/06/08!!

High/Current/Goal 6'0
302/195/180

#18 Hello Katie

Hello Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

Well Dr. Rosenthal did say that he liked them "tight". Hopefully it's not too tight. I guess only time will tell..

You look great kitty!! Is that a hello kitty bathing suit? When I get into normal sizes I'd love to have one. My bathing suits are all so ugly since they're plus sizes :rolleyes:

Katie Sr. (lol) I'm not hungry really, some head hunger and "ooooh that sounds good" but I'm too scared to try :P
Katie
276/259/175

#19 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

You look great kitty!! Is that a hello kitty bathing suit? When I get into normal sizes I'd love to have one. My bathing suits are all so ugly since they're plus sizes :rolleyes:

teeheehee I didn't figure anyone would notice since the pic has to be so small... but yuppers! Has a Hello Kitty head on the one boobie...then has Hello Kitty written across the butt. :P Got it at Hot Topic last summer...they always have a TON of really awesome Hello Kitty stuff...including a Hello Kitty sheet set that I'm probably gonna go get this weekend, to the horror of my spouse. :rolleyes:

High/Current/Goal 6'0
302/195/180

#20 marine

marine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Yes I agree with Shereeks, the speed and or stress are the worst for us. Foamies are mainly when have not eaten slowly enough.
Like I said today, strong pain is often now accompanied by vomiting (not foamies, but the food).
Take care, and observe with which food is your new stomac the most confortable
Marine "the Sea Girl"

Lap RYGBP Sep 21 07

Preop / lowest /Now
Weight: 240 /130 /153 -
BMI: 41 /22.2 /26.1 (horrible)