Photo
- - - - -

How much carbs, fats, protein should we be eating?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 electrichoney

electrichoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

Hey everyone -- I'm 9 months out from surgery as of yesterday and I'm not clear at this point what ratio of fats, carbs and protein I should be eating. I've been using Fitday to keep track of my food intake, and here's an example of my percentages from yesterday:

Total calories for the day: 1,182
Fat: 43 grams, 33% of total calories
Carbs: 78 grams, 25% of total
Protein: 121 grams, 42% of total

That protein count includes a 42-gram New Whey protein drink, so even without that, I was surprised to see I would have gotten in about 80 grams of protein just from food. I didn't realize I was getting in that much (although it's probably not on a consistent basis). I love Fitday for this reason!

So...how does this look to y'all? Is that too many carbs to get the best weight loss results? How does it compare with what you're eating? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
Rhonda

All-time High 422/Start of Process 388/Current 209/Goal 180?
Open RNY 2/27/07
Century Club Member 5/24/07 :P
Double Century 6/12/08!! :D

I'm Rhonda Thissen on Facebook.

#2 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,752 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Rhonda,

I've been told that when I get to eating more, 50-55% of intake should be carbs, 15-20% protein and no more than 30% fat.

I'm still struggling to eat more than 650-700 cals a day at the moment so I can't apply those percentages to my intake or I won't make the 60g minimum protein amount - I just focus on getting all the protein in that I can.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#3 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:19 AM

The nutritionist in my surgeon's office breaks it down this way.

Calories: 1000-1200
Protein: 80-100
Fat: Less than 30

She hasn't stated the percentage of carbs but says when you eat carbs they should be the complex carbs like whole wheat, fruits, etc.

Hope this helps.
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#4 tracyjoy

tracyjoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Ottoman

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

As I get farther away from my surgery I have realized that the makeup of my diet in percentages is not quite as important as I thought it was post-op.

I have found that if I focus on protein then everything else falls into place. I always eat the protein on my plate first, then whatever (if any) veggies/carbs that I can eat. When I snack, I choose a slice of cheese for its protein over something that doesn't contain protein but may be low in fat.

This type of eating strategy has helped me to LIVE that much more because I am not counting calories or percentages. I simply stay away from sugars as much as possible (even though I am one of the few that can tolerate suger) and eat protein first.
Ten Things I Wish I Knew Before My Weight Loss Surgery
http://www.mygastricbypasslife.com

#5 electrichoney

electrichoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. It's interesting how we've all got such varied information from our health care providers! Yesterday I saw my surgeon's nurse practitioner for a 9-month follow-up and I asked her the same question. Her response was no more than 15 grams of fat per day (yeah, right!!), no more than 15 grams of carbs per meal, and about 60 grams of protein per day. OK, when you calculate that out based on the number of calories per gram in each of those nutrients, that's not much food for someone at my stage of the process! My understanding is that fat has 9 calories per gram and carbs and protein have 4. So, using her formula, that would be a daily total of 555 calories!! Assuming I'm right about the calorie counts, here's the math on that diet, eating the maximum of 15 grams of carb at each meal:

15 grams of fat x 9 calories/gram = 135
45 grams of carb x 4 calories/gram = 180 calories
60 grams of protein x 4 calories/gram = 240
Total caloric intake for the day = 555

That to me is a starvation diet. Based on my experience up to now, I would probably stop losing weight altogether if I ate that little! The information Beth got from the nutritionist in her doctor's office would be better for me, and is more like what I'm doing now. I guess I'll just keep shooting for about 1200 a day and about 30% fat and see what happens. :rolleyes:
Rhonda

All-time High 422/Start of Process 388/Current 209/Goal 180?
Open RNY 2/27/07
Century Club Member 5/24/07 :P
Double Century 6/12/08!! :D

I'm Rhonda Thissen on Facebook.

#6 Dyann

Dyann

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

Don't forget that the number of grams of carbs that is fiber doesn't count as carb intake as it is pretty much not absorbed. I strive for 50% from protein and 25% carb, 25% fat. You are approaching that. I use flat out wraps instead of bread and those have only 90 calories, 6 g net carbs, and 9 g of protein. I love them and have a turkey wrap every day with them as well as use them as a "bruchetta" with dinners where I spray them with pam and sprinkle with tomatos and parm and low fat mozarella with italian seasoning and bake in over for 5 min at 375.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]DYANN

Lap RNY 1/4/06....
46/19.8/23.5 BMI's 167.9 pounds gone forever as of 9/12/07 116.3%to goal

294.4/126.5/150
5' 7''
Jupiter, Florida
Dr. Jefferson Vaughan: GBP
Dr. P Duddly Giles: Plastic surgeon TT/BL 03.20.2007

#7 Cinner

Cinner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Monson, Fargo, ND

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

Dyann, how far out from surgery were you when you began to eat the flat out wraps? I had surgery on the 5th of November and haven't dared to try many carbs. When I saw the nutritionist her main concern was that I was eating 60g. protein.
Cindy

#8 Dyann

Dyann

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:47 AM

Dyann, how far out from surgery were you when you began to eat the flat out wraps? I had surgery on the 5th of November and haven't dared to try many carbs. When I saw the nutritionist her main concern was that I was eating 60g. protein.

At about 2 months out I started with South beach breakfast wraps (in the frozen section). I could eat about 1/3 to 1/2 of one. I now eat one whole one for breakfast. By about 4 months I started with the flat out wraps. ONe month is a bit early to eat a wrap sandwich, but you can use them for other things like a yummy quesedilla or pizza. Crisping them in the oven will make them less "doughy" and will crumble more like a chip when you chew. Early out that helps. Flat out have the lowest calories for their size and highest protein and HIGH FIBER as well as low carbs!!! I was needing that. All the different flavors taste great but the spinach one is very green. Experiment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]DYANN

Lap RNY 1/4/06....
46/19.8/23.5 BMI's 167.9 pounds gone forever as of 9/12/07 116.3%to goal

294.4/126.5/150
5' 7''
Jupiter, Florida
Dr. Jefferson Vaughan: GBP
Dr. P Duddly Giles: Plastic surgeon TT/BL 03.20.2007