8 replies to this topic

#1 ninedash

ninedash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

I had Laproscopic RNY last Wednesday, and one of the incision sites on my side began bleeding yesterday. The steri-strip is covered with dried blood, but there is also new blood present. It's not gushing blood or anything, but there is some blood outside of the area covered by the steri-strip.

I am trying to keep the site clean, and I am waiting for a nurse to call me back. I feel a slight tingle at that site as well.

Did anyone else experience this? Should I be doing anything other than waiting for the nurse to call?

#2 Toony

Toony

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

Just take things easy til she calls you! i.e. no mud wrestling!!!

Please let us know what happens... we do care!!!!

katie

#3 Rachel

Rachel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. IM Kaiser Permanente Richmond, CA

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

I did have a little bleeding at the site of one of mine. The Dr. checked it out and said it was fine. Best to take it easy and wait for the nurse. Keep us posted :)
315/289/183
Highest/Surgery/Current

Surgery 2-28-07

Goal to just be overweight 190
Goal to be "normal" 155

Do I really want to be normal?? Having some body issues. Don't want to be too thin.

#4 ninedash

ninedash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

The nurse called, and said it's probably nothing to worry about. She told me to clean it and apply some gauze. She told me to check regularly for high temperature and redness, and she's calling tomorrow to follow up.

#5 Eseret

Eseret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Q, Dr. Braverman Newport Beach, CA
  • Start Weight:252
  • Current Weight:128

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

I had bleeding while still in the hospital. Got up and went to the bathroom for the first time after surgery and when I stood up from the commode, I was shocked to see bright red blood on the front of the hospital gown. The nurse told me bleeding was normal after surgery and put another band-aid over the staples.

Teri
Teri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
High/Current/Goal
255/127/135 (originally 145)
Surgery 8/2/07

One-derland 10/11/07
Century Club 3/1/08
First goal achieved 145 lbs. 4/12/08
Final goal (????) reached 6/25/08
81 inches lost!
Size 6 skinny jeans and small top!

Clan of the TT Bears **MamaBear**
Gym Rat #50

#6 janine

janine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Juarez

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

I too had bleading in the hospital. my gown kept getting spots. After coming home it didn't blead much but at my followup I asked the doc to look at it because it still wasn't heald up like the other insitions. He said it looked fine and to just let it alone. It finally heald by week 3 and turned out fine. Sound like it's normal
Janine344/310.4/176.4/117 (6/15/08)
-33.6 lbs (pre-op) -134.0 bs (post-op)
-165.0 total loss)
Lap RNY 10\23\2007 Dr. Juarez
gym Rat #68 (11/07/07)
Boo Boo Bear (TT Bear member) (02/04/08)
Ducksack club member #6 (02/06/07)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
journey to success

#7 Toony

Toony

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

Still, take it easy. I don't think you should be bleeding 8 days after surgery. If the nurse isn't worried, then I guess you shouldn't either... Easier said than done, huh? Thinking of you ... sending clotting vibes your way!

katie

#8 ninedash

ninedash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

Friday morning, I noticed the incision site would bleed any time I touched around it. I called the surgeon's office, and went in to see the nurse. I have a small opening, and they just applied new steri-strips and a new bandage. When I changed the bandage tonight, the steri-strips came right off!

I bought some steri-strips at the pharmacy, and they seem to be holding up so far. I'll call the office again on Monday.

#9 Toony

Toony

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

take care buddy... thanks for updating us. how are you feeling otherwise?

funny how some steri-strips seem to stick forever... and others don't. make sure your skin is good and dry when you put them on.

and keep posting!