MiladyB

Taking meds post-op. Some things you need to know!

Thank you Beth for all of this information. It is so valuble for our health post-op that it is a must to follow to stay healthy. What brand of pre-natal multi vitamin are you taking and does it come in chewables?? I would really like to check it out. The websites had so much information as well and I suggest that everyone take the time to reading them because there is very important information in them that we have to take notice for our own well being..

Hugz,

Tina:D:D

Hi Cathy! Feel free to have a pity party. I think most of us did. This isn't an easy journey and often the start is really bumpy but I can assure you, it will get better.

I'm afraid I don't have many words of wisdom regarding the crushed pills. My surgeon wanted me crushing mine too for the first 2 weeks. After that I could start to break them up and swallow them. They do taste terrible crushed and I never found a good way to take them. I mixed them up in a little sf jello and it helped a little but not much. There were a couple I just mixed with the jello and took a sip of water to force it down.

Some surgeons don't have a problem with people taking pills as long as you crush them but from what I've read you do run a little bit of a risk doing that. Those pills can get lodged in your new little pouch and block up the opening from your pouch to your intestines. You need to remember that your pouch is not only small but things are still rather swollen down there so large things can get lodged in the pouch. That is why you are only on liquids right now and why even later they tell you to chew and chew.

Hang in there! I'm sure these first few weeks feel really long...they did for me but it does get better.

Oh thank you for your input Milady! (Said with an English accent)!

I had my first post-op appointment with my dietitian today and she explained to me just about what you said (your advice free...her advice $50:eek:). She also told me that since liquids and food can sometimes move so fast through your mini-stomach...that you don't always get the full effect of your medications...especially when at first you are still on the blood pressure meds and anti-depressants, like me...if they are not crushed. She suggested using sugar-free lemon yogurt because the tart taste is good for disguising BAD, BAD tastes. So I'll give that a try or just continue to hold my nose and gag.

Guess it just comes with the cemetery...er...I mean territory.:D

Thanks again Milady...I curtsy to your wisdom!

hug...mumsy/cathy

20 lbs GONE (forever I hope)...now just 100 or so to go!

Oh thank you for your input Milady! (Said with an English accent)!

I had my first post-op appointment with my dietitian today and she explained to me just about what you said (your advice free...her advice $50:eek:). She also told me that since liquids and food can sometimes move so fast through your mini-stomach...that you don't always get the full effect of your medications...especially when at first you are still on the blood pressure meds and anti-depressants, like me...if they are not crushed. She suggested using sugar-free lemon yogurt because the tart taste is good for disguising BAD, BAD tastes. So I'll give that a try or just continue to hold my nose and gag.

Guess it just comes with the cemetery...er...I mean territory.:D

Thanks again Milady...I curtsy to your wisdom!

hug...mumsy/cathy

20 lbs GONE (forever I hope)...now just 100 or so to go!

hehehe...you are quite welcome, Cathy! I know its nasty. I gagged pills down for 2 weeks and I could have kissed my surgeon when he told me I could start swallowing pills. I had to take Keflex for a slight incisional infection and it smelled and tasted like spoiled eggs. It was disgusting!! :eek:

Hang in there!!!

This is an awesome thread - THANK YOU so much for all the info.

I'm having my RNY in 10 days time... and have also been told to crush my pills after the op :-( Not looking forward!

Is there any info on taking contraceptive pill post op - I'm not very medically knowledgeable but as far as I know it's a slow release too right? Will effectiveness of the pill be compromised at all post op if it is crushed? I asked my nutritionist last week and she was like "ummm, aahhh, ummmm.... ask the surgeon on the morning of your op"... well I'd kind of like to be prepared BEFORE I'm bedridden!

Love you all!

An

This is an awesome thread - THANK YOU so much for all the info.

I'm having my RNY in 10 days time... and have also been told to crush my pills after the op :-( Not looking forward!

Is there any info on taking contraceptive pill post op - I'm not very medically knowledgeable but as far as I know it's a slow release too right? Will effectiveness of the pill be compromised at all post op if it is crushed? I asked my nutritionist last week and she was like "ummm, aahhh, ummmm.... ask the surgeon on the morning of your op"... well I'd kind of like to be prepared BEFORE I'm bedridden!

Love you all!

An

An, I never took any contraceptives after surgery so I'm not sure. It seems like I may have heard something about the possibility of them not being as effective but don't quote me on that. I'm also not sure if you lose something by crushing them. As far as I know they are ok to crush but a pharmacist would be able to tell you if they were safe to crush and if they were considered slow release.

I know all of the slow release meds that I have ever dealt with were in capsule form and birth control pills usually aren't in capsule form, at least the ones I have seen. So my best educated guess is that it would be fine to crush them and I don't see a problem with using them after surgery.

BUT you really should discuss it with your surgeon to see what he has to say.

I heard that you can actually use Nsaids ONLY in the hospital b/c they can inject them intravenously...that way it doesn't go through your pouch. Anyone know if that is true?

I heard that you can actually use Nsaids ONLY in the hospital b/c they can inject them intravenously...that way it doesn't go through your pouch. Anyone know if that is true?

Nicole, if you are referring to IV steroids...which is a type of NSAIDs that is used in the hospital...you will still need to be on some kind of protectant. All NSAIDs thin your blood..no matter how they are given, which increases your chance of getting ulcers. It isn't only the fact that NSAIDs can irritate your pouch it is also the fact that it thins your blood that compounds the problem.

I refused the IV NSAID with both knee surgeries. I wasn't taking any chances.

Nicole, if you are referring to IV steroids...which is a type of NSAIDs that is used in the hospital...you will still need to be on some kind of protectant. All NSAIDs thin your blood..no matter how they are given, which increases your chance of getting ulcers. It isn't only the fact that NSAIDs can irritate your pouch it is also the fact that it thins your blood that compounds the problem.

Got it! Thanks! :D

This is some great information. It sure helps to know this before surgery so I can be even more prepared. Thanks so much

An, I never took any contraceptives after surgery so I'm not sure. It seems like I may have heard something about the possibility of them not being as effective but don't quote me on that. I'm also not sure if you lose something by crushing them. As far as I know they are ok to crush but a pharmacist would be able to tell you if they were safe to crush and if they were considered slow release.

I know all of the slow release meds that I have ever dealt with were in capsule form and birth control pills usually aren't in capsule form, at least the ones I have seen. So my best educated guess is that it would be fine to crush them and I don't see a problem with using them after surgery.

BUT you really should discuss it with your surgeon to see what he has to say.

Thanks - my boyfriend is a pharmacist and he even wasnt sure about it. He did some research this weekend and it seems it will be fine to crush them. They work slightly differently to slow release in that it stays in your blood stream for a certain time before being metabolised, so crushing them wont affect their efficiency - thank goodness.

But to be sure I will check with surgeon too.

And as far as the NSAIDS go - I would be careful with ANY form - whether pill or IV or anything. I'm extremely intolerant to them as is and had my worst reaction ever to NSAIDS in suppository form - which also bypasses the stomach absorption obviously - I had a stomach ulcer once from this so just because it isnt going into your stomach doesnt mean it's not going to affect your stomach!

Beth thanks for the fyi keepem coming there are some knuckle head (Im one of them that need all the info we can get). Thanks:)

Beth thanks for the fyi keepem coming there are some knuckle head (Im one of them that need all the info we can get). Thanks:)

You're welcome, Ron. I feel we owe it to ourselves to learn all we can to make sure we remain as healthy as possible after this surgery. This surgery has given so many of us a new lease on life and its important that we don't throw it away but not taking care of ourselves. We are all worth giving ourselves the best.

I'm four days post op and looking for info. about everything, so thanks for the info. about the drugs. My docs actually gave me a prescription for

Celebrex. I haven't had it filled and I guess I won't. Any other suggestions on vitamins and supplements? I take two chewables a day now.

I'm four days post op and looking for info. about everything, so thanks for the info. about the drugs. My docs actually gave me a prescription for

Celebrex. I haven't had it filled and I guess I won't. Any other suggestions on vitamins and supplements? I take two chewables a day now.

You're welcome, Sandi. For me I did the chewable vitamins for the first 3 weeks postop. After that I was allowed to swallow pills, so I was taking a prenatel vitamin along with starting on Calcium Citrate. Since then I have started using the Building Block vitamins. They are vitamins developed specifically for wls patients. Here is the site where you can find them:

Building Blocks - Essential Bariatric Supplements

They have chewable and capsules, whichever your preference is. I personally feel we absorb the chewable better so that is what I use, at least when it comes to the multivitamins. The site also has recommendations listed about what vitamins are suggested and dosages.

So now I take a multi vitamin, iron, calcium citrate w/ vit. D and B-12. I am just over 2 years postop and all of my labs are normal along with my bone density test that I recently had. So for now it appears that my body is getting what it needs.

Edited by MiladyB

Thanks you for explaining so muc. I hadn't had headaches in years and have had to take liquid Tyneol...and I don't even take a full dosage and I fall asleep, I tried some head colds pills and same thing I fell asleep. When I had my kidney infection my Dr gave me capsuls and that helped to digest had to take longer she said but they worked. I guess the body changes with the surgery as I never fell asleep with meds like this unless it was suppose to make me sleep. I suffered with ulcerative colitis for years and my last visit dr said its gone. So I do watch my drug intake. Thanks again for explaining everything.

Thanks you for explaining so muc. I hadn't had headaches in years and have had to take liquid Tyneol...and I don't even take a full dosage and I fall asleep, I tried some head colds pills and same thing I fell asleep. When I had my kidney infection my Dr gave me capsuls and that helped to digest had to take longer she said but they worked. I guess the body changes with the surgery as I never fell asleep with meds like this unless it was suppose to make me sleep. I suffered with ulcerative colitis for years and my last visit dr said its gone. So I do watch my drug intake. Thanks again for explaining everything.

You're very welcome, Rain. :)

I've found that pain medication and some other meds certainly hit me much harder postop too. I suspect it is due to a couple different things. You have to remember that after a RNY we don't have all of the gastric juices in our pouch plus we can't eat as much food, so the meds aren't diluted down to the extent that they were before surgery. Also we don't hold the drugs in our pouch as long so it goes more quickly into our system. We feel more of a 'punch' so to say from the drugs, just like if we drink alcohol it doesn't take much for us to feel the effects. Make sense? :D

Beth,

Thank goodness for you and that you are still checking this thread. I have a question about pain meds... as you know I've fractured my ankle... and the worst pain is actually in my shoulders. I was having shoulder pain prior to my mishap and then after it has gotten worse (I must have put out my arms to break my fall and the trauma did not set in until a bit later), plus using the crutches... so the combination is making my life hell, to say the least.

I went back to the hospital because the pain was so bad and the Tylenol 3's with codeine were not really addressing it at all. I was given Oxycocet and am now wondering how much of this I can safely take. They know I've had GBS and that I cannot have NSAIDS. The prescription was 1-2 pills every 4 to 6 hours. Honestly, while I am awake I am taking 2 every 4 hours (trying, at times, to drag that out by icing my shoulders which does somewhat help the pain). Is this too much? If so, I'm not sure what I'll do, I'm living for the minute I can take more meds as prescribed so the pain will dissipate.

I trust you hands down, Beth, so anything you can tell me I know will be the right advice and I hope to see you posting soon.

Hugs,

Kimberly

Kim, Oxycocet isn't an NSAIDs, so you are fine there. It is a tylenol based combination medication. It is 5 mg of oxycodone and 325 mg of acetaminophen (tylenol). What you do have to be attentive to is how much tylenol you are getting in over a 24 hour period. The maximum that is safe is 4000mg of Tylenol per 24 hours. Each pill has 325 mg of tylenol so you can safely take 12 pills in 24 hours. So if you are taking 2 every 4 hours you are getting in 4000mg in 24 hours. So you are fine. Just don't take any Tylenol in conjunction with it or you will be getting too much Tylenol.

At my support group on Tuesday they were talking about a new patch that is/has come out that is ibuprophin based. I don't know what the name of it is or really anything about it but for people who live with constant pain from arthritis or other ailments where swelling is an issue this may be worth a call to the pcp about. I know that the dietitian said that there is one woman who is currently using them to help manage arthrits pain and that she is very happy with them.

I'm concerned about taking my Welbutrin after surgery. It cannot be crushed or chewed as it is time released. The bariatric nurse looked at it and thought it would be okay to swallow afterwards. I have trouble swallowing pills anyway, and sometimes need plenty of water to get it down and not stuck in my throat. After surgery will that be a problem?

Lastly, I can't just quit welbutrin, you have to wean off of it. Surgery is in 4 days.

Have them switch you to the regular, NON time released version. I take it daily.

I'm concerned about taking my Welbutrin after surgery. It cannot be crushed or chewed as it is time released. The bariatric nurse looked at it and thought it would be okay to swallow afterwards. I have trouble swallowing pills anyway, and sometimes need plenty of water to get it down and not stuck in my throat. After surgery will that be a problem?

Lastly, I can't just quit welbutrin, you have to wean off of it. Surgery is in 4 days.

Teresa, you will want to get your Wellbutrin changed to an immediate release formula. The sustained release takes a greater amount of time to be absorbed but because of the malabsorption component you run the risk of it passing on threw you without full absorption. I would recommend talking to either your surgeon or whoever prescribed the medication and get it changed. There is an immediate release form of Wellbutrin you will just have to take it more than once a day.

Add: hehehe...looks like Miss Duckie beat me to it.

Edited by MiladyB

Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea there was a different form. I've just been told there was no liquid. I had talked to my pharmacist about this, and he didn't mention anything about this form of the drug. But when I just talked to the pharmacist, they said, oh yeah, there is another kind and you can also crush it. Sounds like just what I need!