• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
JenBear7

Vinegar Craving?

41 posts in this topic

OK... So, I've been thinking I was REALLY strange (most know that I am.. but I have been thinking even stranger than normal... )..

Every time I open the fridge.. I think.. mm.... italian dressing.. wonder if I could drink that! (its fat free ceasar).. and.. NO.. I havent drank any.. but I think about it every time..

So.. this has been happening for about a week... last night.. I had dill pickles for dinner.. THEY WERE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.. never had a pickle taste that good.. even thought about drinking the juice.. but.. the minute I had those pickles.. the weird italian dressing thing stopped...

So.. I'm telling Carrie about this on the phone.. and she has the same issue! Says she never liked italian dressing before.. not puts it on lots of stuff... and loves pickles now too... and we laughed about it.. and thought... yep.. we're sisters...

THEN.. I was telling RoseAnn about it.. and she said she has been having the same issue.. with the vinegar stuff...

HOW BIZARRE IS THIS??? so.. heres my question... does anyone else have a vinegar craving they just have to fill sometimes??? Maybe this is some weird GBP side effect?

lol.. hmm... maybe! Altho.. I normally dont deny myself those cravings :P

Thats what I love about you Cindy.. you can go from vinegar to booty in 2 posts *laughs*...

Yup...I went on a pickle binge for a while. Last 2 days I feel like I could eat anything in the fridge and tasted a few things...ended up in the pickle jar.

I think its a change in the body and I think we need salt..so pickles would be one way to get it. Nice thing is we don't need massive amounts of food to satisfy the craving..Bonus!

Thats what I love about you Cindy.. you can go from vinegar to booty in 2 posts *laughs*...

I aim to please!

Yep, they still taste so good!! What I have noticed is that I crave things with a lot of flavor...the more intense the flavor the better.

When you start craving PICKLES and ICE CREAM... it's just the stork making the rounds... LOL!

My dietician just recommended DILL PICKLES to me a few days ago! Hm... maybe there is something in the August Air!!!

toony

MMMM- that is really weird, I was craving for OLIVES and blue cheese ~ maybe is the that a change in taste for all of us -lol

MMMM- that is really weird, I was craving for OLIVES and blue cheese ~ maybe is the that a change in taste for all of us -lol

OH OH OH... I had major blue cheese cravings starting about 4 weeks out from surgery. I ate it on everything for a few weeks and then it passed.

Hmm.. mine was parmasean lol

Our group here at the hospital was just talking about this same thing yesterday at lunch. Three girls had been having intense pickle cravings. I had commented that just in the last two weeks I have been wanting my food to be a lot more spiced up and even having to add salt, (which is something I NEVER used to do). And everyone talking about pickles has really got me wanting some. I have not tried any yet, but I will be stopping on the way home to pick up some Vlasik Dills. I want to add them to my favorite veggie treat of cutting up cucumbers, tomatoes and black olives into chunks and adding a little bit of creamy italian dressing. Yummmm, I am thinking if I add the pickles and some juice I wont even need the dressing. We all decided it was because of all the exercising and extra water drinking that we have been doing, in the hot Texas weather (103 yesterday), we are just needing more salt these days.

OMG! I demolished three jars of pickles in the last two weeks. One wasn't even mine, it was at my dad's house. lol Weird. :eek:

There is a tie! lol.. I wish I could pick a nutrient that our bodies were lacking, but umm.. there arent any in pickles!

Jen...I know what it is. It's just that you are so gosh darn sweet that your body is seeking a little sour for balance...:rolleyes:. Seriously tho...since Italian dressing started this whole thing, I wonder if it's some sort of pH balance thing. Oh, and by the way, thanks for the craving. Now I want some antipasto salad.

Oh, and I also think we need to start a new game...I can get that post from start to booty in ______ posts. What d'ya think?

mmmmm....antipasto! pepperoncini peppers! :D

I crave intense flavor...salt, sweet, acid, crunchy....I give into the pickle/olive thing and then I puff up with fluids and I get over it real quick.

Hey guys - this is the pickles and ice cream thing - vinegar allows you to absorb calcium better I've been told. And when I was pregnant, couldn't get enough of them. Sauerkraut too. Weird.

I have been told this vinegar and calcium thing for years. No one else has heard of it??

Could be a load of croc for all I know.

Thats actually very interesting.. now I wanna know if thats true too! lol..

And Deb... lol on the booty contest.. I'm betting.. we could ALL do it in 1 post!

There have been many times, both pre- and post-op that I have craved vinegery things and other times when I wanted lemony things (hollandaise sauce with broccoli).

Now, one of my favorite things is a Waldorf Salad from Sweet Peppers - lots and lots of the dark green salad greens - grilled and chilled chicken - blue cheese - granny smith apples - pecans - celery - grapes - balsamic vinegarette dressing! Of course they bring it on the biggest plate possible, and all I can possibly eat is some of the chicken and goodies. but YUM! It always settles well on my pouch. :cool: I usually try to have one about once a week.

Carol

Jen-

I have always had a pickle/salt craving. It seems to have intensified with surgery. Not sure why but I love pickle juice. There is a place here in town that has sno-cones and they have a pickle juice one. It is the best.

Ok, this whole thread has been making me drool on my keyboard...

No pickles for at least another week according to my doc :cool:

Jen, I do this too!! I have not thought to mention it to anyone! I am like Beth and Dyann and crave more intense flavored things. I think it's because we have to chew our food so throughly that all the flavor we used to experience before surgery because we swallowed our food almost whole is just not there now since it's total mush when it goes down, so something with more flavor lasts longer. As far as the pickles go.....I LOVE green olives in food, I LOVE pickles, and I have craved sauerkraut ever since surgery and have not had it YET because my family used to cut up hotdog weiners in it into little pieces or smoked polish sausage and fry it in a skillet with a tad of oil. And since I can't do the meat, I just haven't even made it. My family will not eat it and will be such a waste for just me. But DANG IT, I want it even more now! Maybe it's something to do with sodium. After all, our bodies need it to!

I have a jar of pickles in my fridge right next to a jar of pickle juice. I totally love them, can't get enough. The kids even found dill pickle flavoured chips up here. Not that I'm eating any.....