• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Dimples470

Dimples470

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

My Dr. tells me that after my lap band, I will not be able to have coffee or soda pop. But, I've been to suppport meetings and seen people who have had surgery drinking both. Anyone have any further information or experience about this?
Donna

LAP BAND
Surgery date 8/6/07

5'2"

Current/Goal
235/165

#2 suzanne

suzanne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

I started drinking coffee and diet drinks about 9 months out. My dr said the same, but that is one thing I can't give up!!!
Suzanne

Surgery 04/26/05
343/153 /150
http://www.myspace.com/suzanne27
You are what you believe you are.

#3 GoneWithTheWind

GoneWithTheWind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I drink sprite to settle stomach, and also drink coffee once in a while.. not daily though. Janie

#4 Clarissa**

Clarissa**

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Well, the soda isn't recommended because it could dilate the pouch and could cause slips. Some drs. say ok, some say no. My dr. says no. As far as coffee, my dr. says it is fine w/ him. Caffeine can stimulate the appetite, coffee is acidic and can leech calcium out of the bones in large amounts and is a diuretic. But I still have coffee, not everyday, am not dead yet.
Clarissa**
Surgery Type: Lap-Band
Surgery Date: June 6, 2007
Clinic: The Weight Loss Clinic, in Harrisburg PA
First fill 1.5 ccs
Starting Weight: 243/Current 220/Goal..whatever I feel comfortable at

#5 VanessaSFL

VanessaSFL

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr.Mark Liberman,Naples Florida
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

Soda makes my pouch pissed.Not worth it to me...I have sipped at a Sprite when very desperate...but I have only been desperate twice in 2 1/2 years.

Coffee...It was my first liquid offered to me in the HOSPITAL when I got out of Recovery...Coffee and myself remain great friends to this day and I see no end to our friendship anytime soon.I am also freezing all the time(yes even in the sub tropics of south Florida) and the coffee warms me up..my hands anyway.

Follow your Dr.s orders, as I do not have a lap -band.

Best wishes~
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Van:)

Lap RNY March,21 2005
280/130

VPA BEAR

#6 LisaBoston

LisaBoston

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nohr
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:312
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

Lab-band might be different, but with bypass, soda is not recommended. Many of us drink coffee.

In reality, nobody needs pop, so why not this time to quit it!
Lisa
aka....Canadian Bear and her Canadian Bear Cubs!

Open RNY - Jan 30, 2006, Tummy Tuck - June 4, 2007
Century Club - Sept 12, 2006, Overweight Club - Oct 19, 2006
One-der-land - Nov 8, 2006,Below Goal - Jan 30, 2007 - 1st Anniversary Date!
Holding Below Goal - 2 year surgery anniversary! Holding at 155 :) - 3 year surgery anniversary (Jan 09)
Jan 2013- 7 year anniversary - 152

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 bits-and-bobs

bits-and-bobs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

how much water can you drink? i carry ice water with me everywhere. will the water wash the food out of the stomach pouch with lap band? i've heard low acid coffee is best. can you reccommend one?

#8 Clarissa**

Clarissa**

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

I have the lap band so it is a totally different beast then the RNY, but I drink 2 quarts of water per day. I don't drink coffee everyday though. I don't drink when I eat unless it is in a scenario where it is 7:00 at night I'm having dinner and didn't get my water in for the day.
Clarissa**
Surgery Type: Lap-Band
Surgery Date: June 6, 2007
Clinic: The Weight Loss Clinic, in Harrisburg PA
First fill 1.5 ccs
Starting Weight: 243/Current 220/Goal..whatever I feel comfortable at

#9 michelleJC

michelleJC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

I drink both with no problems but the only soda that works for me is diet Mt. Dew and I waited until i was 15 months out before I tried either.
God Bless,
MICHELLE

LAP RNY 12/14/05 Milwaukee, WI
Belt Lipectomy/Medial Thigh Lift 1/11/08
12.8 pounds of skin removed.

Highest/Current/Goal
307/160/150

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind."

#10 Toony

Toony

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

For What It's Worth:

I was drinking 6-8 cans of Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi/Coke a day... gave it up cold turkey a month ago. With NO OTHER changes to my diet, I lost 5.5 pounds!

I was very addicted, but KNEW it had to go... so - scratch that off my list: DONE! :o

Toony

#11 Luna Lurker

Luna Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Randal Baker in Grand Rapids, MI
  • Hospital:Spectrum, Blodgett Campus

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

I never was much for soda--- couldn't handle the carbonation, so that wasn't an issue. Now, going without my morning 22oz cup of coffee is another story!! I've switched over to de-caf just so I can still enjoy the taste and the warm liquid in the morning to help me 'get goin'.
Judy
Lap RNY 10/16/06

It's interesting that most women's magazines fill half the pages with recipes and the other half with ways to diet

312/ 290/ 188/ 144
Highest/Pre-op/Current/My goal

ONEDERLAND - 10/16/07

#12 GastricJerry

GastricJerry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

As others have noted. Coffee-The caffinated kind is a BIG no no. It really does hurt your body. Our doctors still say that we have to drink at least 64 oz od water, Thats right pure clean water every day. I feel pop adn caffeine are just minor problems but now htat I have my life back I can live with out. before surgery I used to drink at least 2 2liter bottles of diet coke. I am convinced that that is a real problem and it affected by body in so many unseen ways.
Since surgery. It is a mazing of how many people really do drink pop. adn Even diet pop and notice how big epople still are. I truly think there is a link between pop and obesity. I thnk I will goggle this for a study adn bring the results back to here.

When I was on a pre-op fast for 6 weeks, I tried to drink 120 oz of water and with the bariatric food I consumed, I lost 84 lbs. the doctors have never witnessed anything like this. In fact on doctor tooko me to the scal herself to really weigh me a again. I think I lost 27 pounds in one week. I am sure it was all that diet pop I consumed.:cool:

#13 GoneWithTheWind

GoneWithTheWind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

If that was the case, and you were able to lose that kind of weight.. why would you have had gastric bypass surgery? Janie

As others have noted. Coffee-The caffinated kind is a BIG no no. It really does hurt your body. Our doctors still say that we have to drink at least 64 oz od water, Thats right pure clean water every day. I feel pop adn caffeine are just minor problems but now htat I have my life back I can live with out. before surgery I used to drink at least 2 2liter bottles of diet coke. I am convinced that that is a real problem and it affected by body in so many unseen ways.
Since surgery. It is a mazing of how many people really do drink pop. adn Even diet pop and notice how big epople still are. I truly think there is a link between pop and obesity. I thnk I will goggle this for a study adn bring the results back to here.

When I was on a pre-op fast for 6 weeks, I tried to drink 120 oz of water and with the bariatric food I consumed, I lost 84 lbs. the doctors have never witnessed anything like this. In fact on doctor tooko me to the scal herself to really weigh me a again. I think I lost 27 pounds in one week. I am sure it was all that diet pop I consumed.:cool:

#14 paige52

paige52

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

If I could have lost 87 pounds before surgery I wouldn't have had surgery either!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
213/110/130 Preop/Current/Goal

Open RNY 9/26/06 Height 5' 4"

#15 Luna Lurker

Luna Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Randal Baker in Grand Rapids, MI
  • Hospital:Spectrum, Blodgett Campus

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

Paige, Janie, keep in mind when Gastric Jerry started his weight loss journy, he was at 550 pounds.
Judy
Lap RNY 10/16/06

It's interesting that most women's magazines fill half the pages with recipes and the other half with ways to diet

312/ 290/ 188/ 144
Highest/Pre-op/Current/My goal

ONEDERLAND - 10/16/07

#16 GastricJerry

GastricJerry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

Paige, Janie, keep in mind when Gastric Jerry started his weight loss journy, he was at 550 pounds.

Actually Luna- I was way over 550 lbs. I dont even want to guess my highest weight> All I know was I was miserable!

Just a Public Service Announcement. We had snacks at our meeting last night...they were samples of high protein snacks, Yummy! :D:p:cool:

#17 GoneWithTheWind

GoneWithTheWind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

I saw no stats on how much Jerry weighed prior. I just saw a huge weight loss in a short time and with all my misery wondered why would a person do that if they could lose the weight like that? But the weight that you were I understand now. Janie

#18 waterbottle

waterbottle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hello I used to drink 2ltrs a day of diet coke before my op 8 days ago

I have had to go cold turkey and boy it was hard but I am hoping now I have done it thats it I am also never going to have chocolate again as that is also my huge problem.

Making the choice is half the battle keeping to it is the other half :)

For me this is hope that with the lap band I am now going to be able to start my life again and get out and see the world before it passes me by lol

#19 JustJennifer

JustJennifer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

I sit here actually sipping on a Diet Coke as I read this...

My first "straight" coke since my surgery. But I've had it for 30 minutes already and have only sipped maybe 2 ounces or so.

I have only had coke two other times, both so watered down, they could no longer be called coke.

I definately don't plan on drinking a coke everyday, or even every month...I just had a taste for one today :)

Edited to say I didn't have lap-band, but all of us WLS should put our two cents in :)
Jennifer
Lap RNY July 5th, 2006
(265)230/145/130
(Pregnancy High)Pre-Op/Current/Surgeons Goal

#20 janh

janh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

I love my coffee-and my Dr. says it's fine. I'm not giving it up-for me works as appitite control-I'm already on my 3rd cup this morning. Soda, however, you can keep it-I probably had maybe 1/2 cup since my surgery.
Lap RNY 12/08/05
Dr. Courcoulas
Pittsburgh, PA
282/156/145:p

God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.