Ines RN

Hair Loss??

20 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and need some responses to this question;

Is it common to experience hair loss after gastric bypass surgery ?

I am an oncology RN and know that this is a common problem for my patients but have heard that it is also a side effect of this type of surgery.

I am involved with a product that truly helps alleviate this and wanted to know if perhaps I could help some other people as well.

Thank You.

Blessings to all,

I see this is your first post on the forum. Are you looking into having the surgery...or just looking to sell us something?

Cinerbelle,

I truly am only looking for information. I am a 6 year breast cancer survivor and oncology nurse. I have spent 23 years caring for cancer patients and know how difficult hair loss is for them. I friend who had gastirc bypass also experienced hair loss and I wanted to know if this was a common problem.

She tried a nutrional supplement that really helped and I have suggested it to my patients who also had good results.

I was trying to gather more information for this forum. As you can see I am not trying to sell you anything.

Thank you

Yes, it is a common problem...but after the year mark it seems to be less of a problem. All of my hair has come back.

Thanks Cindy,

Can you educate me as to why this hair loss occurs...I am assuming it is due to decreased nutritional intake ??

With chemo it comes from cellular destruction. My friend had her surgery 7 years ago and was still having this problem. It only stopped when she started taking a juice made with Acai which has very high antioxidant value.

I was thinking of trying to help other people with this problem but first need to fully understand the why of the hair loss.

Thanks !!!

I have found if I use Nioxin. found at salons. it works wonderful. I used to recomend it to my clients with thyroid problems or men with a resceading hairline. now that I have had wls I use it and my hair is still holding its own. and my protien ntake isnt so hot. so maybe if you try that it could help.

Staci, that's what I was going to recommend also. I have been using for the past 1.5 years anyway because I have very fine and thin hair that seems to be thinning even more. If I am approved and end up having WLS, I will definitely continue with Nioxin!

I have found if I use Nioxin. found at salons. it works wonderful. I used to recomend it to my clients with thyroid problems or men with a resceading hairline. now that I have had wls I use it and my hair is still holding its own. and my protien ntake isnt so hot. so maybe if you try that it could help.

Does nioxin work mainly for receeding hairline? That seems to be my problem and it doesn't seem to stop. I have for a month now taken in over 80-100 grams of protein a day, and my vitamins. So I'm not sure why my body is still in shock. perhaps being sick for so long has stressed it too.. not sure. Janie

ITs a side effect not really from the gastric bypass surgery

its a side effect of RAPID weight loss

and happens to people on atkins also......

its only a phase.

ITs only thinning

and the best product is BIOTIN for the new growth

so that comes in faster and healthier.

PEOPLE dont go totally bald........

and its frustrating phase

but liveable and dont last forever....

for me the best day was when i started feeling the

new peach fuzzies growing in ......that relieved

my concerns the most.

my hair thinnied between month 3 and 4 and lasted thru my 12 month.

After that my hair came back in fast and furious and

is in wonderful shape!!!!!

I'm one month from your surgery date and I still pick hair off my clothes at a regular pace. I sure do wish it would stop! Janie

ITs a side effect not really from the gastric bypass surgery

its a side effect of RAPID weight loss

and happens to people on atkins also......

its only a phase.

ITs only thinning

and the best product is BIOTIN for the new growth

so that comes in faster and healthier.

PEOPLE dont go totally bald........

and its frustrating phase

but liveable and dont last forever....

for me the best day was when i started feeling the

new peach fuzzies growing in ......that relieved

my concerns the most.

my hair thinnied between month 3 and 4 and lasted thru my 12 month.

After that my hair came back in fast and furious and

is in wonderful shape!!!!!

i am only 2 months out and you usually dont see a differance unti about 3 months so i have been told so hang in there it should get better

I noitced this is in the Lap band section I so I am responsing to the question as a lap band I didnt lose my hair but then again I barely lost any weight too.

Wondering how cancer/chemo patient's are related the GBS? :rolleyes:..

My sister died from breast cancer, and she lost her hair during numerous chemo treatments. She took nioxin and biotin and all the stuff we take to grow our hair back. Janie

Wondering how cancer/chemo patient's are related the GBS? :rolleyes:..

Is the Biotin a hair product or a vitamin?? I also haven't been getting in all my protein!! I just can't stomach the protein shakes and I can only eat so much so it's hard to eat things every few mins. because I get sooo full!!I've tried the protein bars and I've eat tuna,and boneless,skinless chicken breast so much that it is running out my ears!!lol!!Does anyone have any suggestions?I don't mean to sound vain but I love my hair and I really would like to keep it all!!lol!!Please help!!Thank ya'll! I love this place it has been a saving grace for me!!;)

[COLOR="black"]you can get biotin in pill form.... We are in the same place as far as the protine goes... I cant stand the shakes (gag) our surgerys were only 2 weeks apart... so hang in there.. I take supplements as well as use the nioxin.. I love it....

Staci

preop/current/goal

257/ 205/ 135:p

Stacy, what kind of supplements do you take? I wished they made a protein pill or liquid!Man, I could gag down a one time lil bit rather than all of nasty shake!!I throw up everytime I get the smell of one much less tring to drink another one!!By the way I noticed this is the lap band forum but I did have gastric bypass!!Thanks for any help that you or anyone can give me!!:)

Stacy, what kind of supplements do you take? I wished they made a protein pill or liquid!

I too have issues with the protein shakes... I tried Nectar, which has been highly recommended by other members here and I love it! It is only 5 oz and tastes good! Not thick and nasty. Here is a link!

http://www.enjoyhealth.com/samples.htm

I am going to try that Nioxin stuff myself! I had thick thick beautiful hair my entire life. About 3 months post-op it all started coming out--in clumps like chemo! I am 7 months out and I still clean out my brush AND the shower drain DAILY! In fact, my hair has gotten so thin now that I can't even keep it in a clip anymore! It is crazy! Everyone says it comes back after one year so I am anxious to find out!

I am going to try that Nioxin stuff myself! I had thick thick beautiful hair my entire life. About 3 months post-op it all started coming out--in clumps like chemo! I am 7 months out and I still clean out my brush AND the shower drain DAILY! In fact, my hair has gotten so thin now that I can't even keep it in a clip anymore! It is crazy! Everyone says it comes back after one year so I am anxious to find out!

It's not cheap, but it is great! they have different ones - if you have colored hair, etc.... and I love the scent and the way it makes your head all tingley.... especially the conditioner! My DH is bald (by choice, but very thin otherwise) and he even uses my conditioner just cuz he loves the feeling of it too!