• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Groovey kinda Love

Skin Donation For Burn Victims

28 posts in this topic

A friend of mine mentioned the other day that she heard that people who have had the wls and have skin removed can donate it to burn victims. Has anyone here heard of this before? Is it something I should bring to my surgeons attention and see what he says? I am allllllllllll for giving anyone my lose skin that wants it:D seriously!:D

Well Miss Susie, I've been a Burn nurse, in a major Michigan Burn Center, for 30 years. The only skin we use besides the patient's own skin would be cadaver skin. We used to use pigskin but now it is only cadaver and that is only a temporary covering. The body will eventually reject any skin that isn't it's own. I highly doubt as a wls patient we could donate our skin. It just wouldn't be enough to be practical plus the skin that we use in our Burn Center is a very thin layer of skin. It just would be far too costly to use skin from a living individual. Nice thought but I doubt it's true. I think I would know about it if it was.

I did a little hunting and I strongly suspect this is an urban myth. Found some information from the Michigan Skin Bank that makes perfect sense. I know I've dealt with them before when family members have asked about donating the skin of their loved ones that have died and it is a very reputable institution who knows what they are talking about.

http://www.transweb.org/reference/articles/donation/excess_skin_donation.html

I've heard talk of a surgeon here that will do PS for free if you donate the skin..I haven't confirmed if it's true or not. I'll let you know if I ever find such a person! :D

I've heard talk of a surgeon here that will do PS for free if you donate the skin..I haven't confirmed if it's true or not. I'll let you know if I ever find such a person! :D

I would go to Reno for PS and gladly donate my skin. If you find out the name of that Doc please PM me.

Could be wrong, but it always seems to be a friend of a friend thing, which is the definition of an urban myth. Oh, and nobody would want my skin, anyway... it's like a balloon that's been blown up a few too many times. Very relaxed.

Ok, I may have to eat my words here. Apparently skin donation after wls is being done in some places but I know nothing about this organization, so I won't vouch for any of this! I'm still rather skeptical but I did find some information about donating skin after weight loss. Here is a link to see if you would qualify.

http://www.mtfeinformation.org/

I filled out the information and had a message that said I would be contacted within the next 48 hours to let me know "if this service is available in your location" We shall see what they have to say.

It's not available here in San Diego. I asked several PS about it....it's just not cost effective....the skin used for burn victims is just the first layer...no fat or any other underlying tisses. Kind of like peeling a carrot....you shave off just the first layer. However, I'm a organ and skin donor...so they can have my pretty tats when I'm dead!

Bethie,

You're so sweet that if you had to eat your words, they would cause you to dump!!

badumm dumm. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week..:cool:;)

Bethie,

You're so sweet that if you had to eat your words, they would cause you to dump!!

That was good!!:D

Wow Donna, with gems like that you could play the Vegas lounge set :D

Try the veal...!

I'm so glad someone brought this up! I had a trainer mention it to me and I thought it was an urban legend too. Thanks for digging up the website Beth!

Bethie,

LMAO that was funny!

I've been careful about taking my protein all week, so I'm sharp as a tack. Big difference from the fog I live in when I don't have enough protein on board.

Beth,

I filled out the form as well. WE will see if they respond for my location

Bethie,

*LOL*...well then I guess it's a good thing sugar doesn't seem to make me dump!! :P

You are in rare form, my dear. :D *L*

I've been careful about taking my protein all week, so I'm sharp as a tack. Big difference from the fog I live in when I don't have enough protein on board.

well here is too keeping the protein on board

Ok, I may have to eat my words here. Apparently skin donation after wls is being done in some places but I know nothing about this organization, so I won't vouch for any of this! I'm still rather skeptical but I did find some information about donating skin after weight loss. Here is a link to see if you would qualify.

http://www.mtfeinformation.org/

I filled out the information and had a message that said I would be contacted within the next 48 hours to let me know "if this service is available in your location" We shall see what they have to say.

No need to eat your words, but if you do I bet the are very low in calories and reduced fat:D

thanks for the info. I too went on and filled out the info form, so now we will wait and see. But i am going to mention it to the surgeon when i see him may 11. It is a really cool thing that there are nurses and doctors on this form. I don't count yet as I am only a Nursing student who works as a CNA in a nursing home...... God bless my little old people who have more spunk than the most of us:rolleyes:

No need to eat your words, but if you do I bet the are very low in calories and reduced fat:D

thanks for the info. I too went on and filled out the info form, so now we will wait and see. But i am going to mention it to the surgeon when i see him may 11. It is a really cool thing that there are nurses and doctors on this form. I don't count yet as I am only a Nursing student who works as a CNA in a nursing home...... God bless my little old people who have more spunk than the most of us:rolleyes:

You're welcome, Susie. I'm going to be interested in what kind of response all of you get who filled out the form. This is something I may have to talk over with my plastic surgeon. He is the plastic surgeon the Burn Center refers all of the face and hand grafts to. He also does a big part of the recontructive work on our past patients. I'll just be curious what he thinks of all of this and if he knows anything about it.

Well this was my response to the request,

Hi David,

Thank you so much for you interest in our Living Skin Donor Program

following weight loss. Our program offers patients the opportunity to

donate their excess skin after surgery. Your donation can help many

people in need of hernia repairs, bladder repair, reconstructive surgery

after mastectomy, etc... MTF cannot offer to pay for your surgery, or

any part of your surgery following the National Organ Tranplant Act

(NOTA). Payment for any part of your surgery would be considered buying

an organ which is illegal. I would be happy to speak to you about the

process and answer any questions you may have. If you would like I can

mail you information about our program, just be sure to respond back

with your address. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at

800-946-9008 ext 4068 or email [email protected].

I look forward to hearing from you.

Colleen Campanella Kenny

Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation

Surgical Donation Director

I hope this helps

Well this was my response to the request,

Hi David,

Thank you so much for you interest in our Living Skin Donor Program

following weight loss. Our program offers patients the opportunity to

donate their excess skin after surgery. Your donation can help many

people in need of hernia repairs, bladder repair, reconstructive surgery

after mastectomy, etc... MTF cannot offer to pay for your surgery, or

any part of your surgery following the National Organ Tranplant Act

(NOTA). Payment for any part of your surgery would be considered buying

an organ which is illegal. I would be happy to speak to you about the

process and answer any questions you may have. If you would like I can

mail you information about our program, just be sure to respond back

with your address. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at

800-946-9008 ext 4068 or email [email protected].

I look forward to hearing from you.

Colleen Campanella Kenny

Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation

Surgical Donation Director

I hope this helps

Well I haven't heard anything back. Thanks for posting your response, Dave.

We were discussing this subject in our support group...so I bumped it up! :)

I haven't heard anything on mine either, I guess I am going to have to go about it he ol fashion way LOL:rolleyes:

I'm keeping my skin....I like to play with it and make noises with it! :rolleyes:

I'm keeping my skin....I like to play with it and make noises with it! :rolleyes:

Elaine- you are a sick puppy! :P:

Mine is starting to make noises too- I tried to do a line dance last week...well, imagine that little jump and turn...I won't be doing that again in public!

I have also heard of this. I want to read more about it.

Found this interesting Thread and, apart from wondering whether there was any more information since the last posts, Elaine's comment reminded me of the movie Click with Adam Sandler:

:D

XXX