ceekerr

How soon can you drive after surgery?

11 posts in this topic

I'm sure they said something about driving, but I really don't remember. Can anyone tell me how soon after surgery can we drive. I'm felling great and my typing is improving. I don't have to correct every other word like I had to at first. I was never a GREAT typist, but I think I'm back to my normal self. (I noticed that after the surgery I was unable to type with the assurance that I had before; had to backspace a lot, reversed letters, all indicating to me that I was not just right yet.) Surgery was last Wednesday, so this is Day 4. I'm going stir crazy and really feel able to get out on my own, although I realize I will propably get very tired very easily. I do have someone to call on to take me out to the store, which I guess I should do just to be on the safe side. But I don't think I can make it more than a week without driving myself somewhere. Need my hair done, need vitamins, pet food, Carnation Instant Breakfast, etc...

How soon after surgery did any of y'all drive?

Carol

You can drive as soon as you are no longer taking any narcotic medications and it's comfortable.

Yep, 24 hours without medication, and as I felt able. Took me about a week.

i had open, and drove myself from hospital to home 4 hours or so, on day 6 after surgery, i was told same thing, no drugs prior for 24 hours and go by how i feel, i had a drain tube and staples still, but was well enough to make the drive by myself.......good luck

i had open, and drove myself from hospital to home 4 hours or so, on day 6 after surgery, i was told same thing, no drugs prior for 24 hours and go by how i feel, i had a drain tube and staples still, but was well enough to make the drive by myself.......good luck

LOL.. dont listen to Carrie about this!! She drives when she has VERTIGO! or is in the middle of a major gallbladder attack...

If it were me... Id drive when I felt like I could make it.. there AND back

I was a wuss then, I didn't drive for 3-4 weeks :P

I drove about 4 days after my surgery - couldn't stand sitting around at home doing nothing either. I was absolutely fine but I have to say I wasn't any pain meds so I would definitely listen to everyone else's advice here about that.

My doctor told me in writing- yes folks, THIS I had in writing- no driving for the first 2 weeks. (Of course, the same darn paper told me not to ride a bicycle too. Right, I'm 5'2", 300+, and wanting to ride a bike, in New England, in February!)

lol Cee Cee Well, if it had snow tires...... :P

Thanks so much, all! I actually read a couple of responses and was outta here! went to Walmart and back. I'm tired, but not too tired. I guess you can tell I'm not one to drive when I have vertigo or in the middle of a major gallbladder attack!! Maybe I'm a little too cautious, but my nephew wouldn't let me stay home alone for the last 3 days and had been getting onto me about wanting to get out. I told him I was fine! But, I guess it shows he cares. Thank God for those who care!

Carol

WOW...you sound like you are doing great....I hope I do as well....

Take care and roll on journey....roll on!

LOL BTW my typing sucks and I backspace all the time, cant spell and it takes me forever....hehehehehe I am the fastest two finger typist YOU will ever see. :D