contemplating1

Lap band questions

19 posts in this topic

Can anyone answer some questions? Is it true you cannot drink caffeine drinks like coffee, tea? Do all surgeons want you on a liquid diet before the surgery? And for how long prior? Was anyone tried to steer away from lapband towards gastric by pass instead by the surgeon?

I am attending a seminar soon about the options and I'm a little nervous about the prospect of never again being able to eat the same way. Has that been a problem for anyone?

I appreciate any answers.

Can anyone answer some questions? Is it true you cannot drink caffeine drinks like coffee, tea? Do all surgeons want you on a liquid diet before the surgery? And for how long prior? Was anyone tried to steer away from lapband towards gastric by pass instead by the surgeon?

I am attending a seminar soon about the options and I'm a little nervous about the prospect of never again being able to eat the same way. Has that been a problem for anyone?

I appreciate any answers.

From my research, which is a few years old now, I didn't read anything you "couldn't have". In fact, the reason I decided against it was that you CAN have anything, just smaller food portions. I was afraid that because things like milkshakes, chocolate, etc can be consumed in quantities unlimited....yikes!! The band only restricts solids. The good thing though, is that it can be adjusted or removed.....and does not rearrange your insides. I was given the option....my surgeon didn't sway me either way. I researched and chose the RNY. Good luck on your journey and find out all you can, and spend time thinking through your own issues and the 2 surgeries. Only you can decide what's best for you after all the info given.

Thanks for a quick reply. My husband and I eat for the most part very healthy food but just too much of it. We only buy skim milk and non fat yogurt and we eat lots of fish, vegetables and fruit. We have tried lots of new foods like edamane ( soy beans) and quinoa. WE do both have sweet tooths, tho.

I'm short at 5'1" so the weight really shows quickly on me. I really don't mind being a little overweight and while it would be nice to be at a normal weight, I have never weighed less than 128 pounds which was my thinnest ever as an Adult ( from 17 to about 25 years old) and I was heavy as a child. I would be thrilled to weigh 150 lbs and know that I would still be considered overweight at that weight.

2 years ago I lost 30 lbs, it took me 10 months ( talk about losing slowly) and I have slowly gained back 17 of those lbs. I don't want to gain it all back.

I also know my level of inactivity means I cannot consume much food in a day without slowly gaining weight. I had knee surgery a few years ago and my knee hurts with physical activity except mild walking. I'm hoping the knee will improve with weight loss, as it felt better when I lost the 30 lbs and pain has increased as lbs have come back on.

I will attend a seminar soon, but right now I do not want gastric by pass and would only consider lap band. Maybe the seminar will change my mind

Heighest weight/current weight/goal weight 5'1" height

230 217 140-150

Appreciate your response.

Thanks for a quick reply. My husband and I eat for the most part very healthy food but just too much of it. We only buy skim milk and non fat yogurt and we eat lots of fish, vegetables and fruit. We have tried lots of new foods like edamane ( soy beans) and quinoa. WE do both have sweet tooths, tho.

I'm short at 5'1" so the weight really shows quickly on me. I really don't mind being a little overweight and while it would be nice to be at a normal weight, I have never weighed less than 128 pounds which was my thinnest ever as an Adult ( from 17 to about 25 years old) and I was heavy as a child. I would be thrilled to weigh 150 lbs and know that I would still be considered overweight at that weight.

2 years ago I lost 30 lbs, it took me 10 months ( talk about losing slowly) and I have slowly gained back 17 of those lbs. I don't want to gain it all back.

I also know my level of inactivity means I cannot consume much food in a day without slowly gaining weight. I had knee surgery a few years ago and my knee hurts with physical activity except mild walking. I'm hoping the knee will improve with weight loss, as it felt better when I lost the 30 lbs and pain has increased as lbs have come back on.

I will attend a seminar soon, but right now I do not want gastric by pass and would only consider lap band. Maybe the seminar will change my mind

Heighest weight/current weight/goal weight 5'1" height

230 217 140-150

Appreciate your response.

Wow, your stats sound almost identical to mine. I have a snack tooth....any kind....lol. But I did fear the band partly because of sweets....I even read that fine sugar like cake can get through it....not good for me. But I also had never been "normal" size and wanted to get where I wasn't overweight. I think for what you want, maybe the band would be enough to do it. It's such a hard decision.....it's like deciding something before you really know how it works. I understand the dilemma, but am glad I chose the way I did for me. Either way, we will be here for support of you.

Thanks and I did notice your weights were similar to mine, but I'm guessing you're taller than me ( as it feels like everyone, including 9 year old kids are) :)

I work 2 days a week in a dr's office, so I've seen patients that have had gastric by pass ( a few with serious complications) but all have different levels of succes depending on where they started.

We have one patient I know of with lapband and she has struggled to lose, but I don't know her surgeon and I'm going to a different one. I think she has recently started to lose weight.

I know very little about the different types of gastric bypass and don't understand the terms used on the forum like "RNY" etc.

I'm trying to learn some of this by reading online and forums like this.

You must feel great. Do you often feel deprived? or have you settled into the new eating plan as a routine?

I know that will be a concern sometimes, but since I mostly try to "diet" anyway, I sometimes feel deprived, too. My husband ( who is overweight but 6'3") and I tend to binge eat occasionally, once we open that bag of Halloween candy or that 1/2 gallon of ice cream, it's gone! We avoid buying those foods as much as possible. That's why i think the lap band would be good for me, as it shouldn't let me eat that much at one time.

Thanks and I did notice your weights were similar to mine, but I'm guessing you're taller than me ( as it feels like everyone, including 9 year old kids are) :)

I work 2 days a week in a dr's office, so I've seen patients that have had gastric by pass ( a few with serious complications) but all have different levels of succes depending on where they started.

We have one patient I know of with lapband and she has struggled to lose, but I don't know her surgeon and I'm going to a different one. I think she has recently started to lose weight.

I know very little about the different types of gastric bypass and don't understand the terms used on the forum like "RNY" etc.

I'm trying to learn some of this by reading online and forums like this.

You must feel great. Do you often feel deprived? or have you settled into the new eating plan as a routine?

I know that will be a concern sometimes, but since I mostly try to "diet" anyway, I sometimes feel deprived, too. My husband ( who is overweight but 6'3") and I tend to binge eat occasionally, once we open that bag of Halloween candy or that 1/2 gallon of ice cream, it's gone! We avoid buying those foods as much as possible. That's why i think the lap band would be good for me, as it shouldn't let me eat that much at one time.

HA.....I AM only 5'1"....some call me an elf. :P So, our stats are almost identical. The RNY is the most popular bypass done now. It has the most research and success behind it. This is a great place to learn about the surgery.....most here had the RNY.

No, I don't feel deprived.....I can pretty much eat anything now.....sometimes more than I wish I could. The surgery does most or all of the work for you at first, but slowly, over months, the job becomes more and more yours. I have little probelm with small amounts of anything. The only food that makes me sick almost immediately is things that are both breaded and deep fried. So, although I don't feel deprived, I still work everyday on choices and portions....and obsess daily on my weight and maintenance.

The occasional splurge should fit into your life ok......all things in moderation. Also, I believe one of the main factors in success is support.....and here you are!! :)

Ok, now if you tell me your husband/significant other is 6'3" that will really be scary. I have two children. One girl, one boy, both Adults now.

If I understand right, you had a laproscopic by pass and not a lap band. I thought this was the lapband discussion area, but I guess people cross over for questions, answers, solutions.

I have a close friend that had the gastric bypass and is happy with it. she lost 86 lbs initally( and quickly) and then went up about 25lbs and seems to have stablized there. It seems with the gastric bypass, people lose faster than with lapband, but I'm in no hurry as long as I lose somewhat consistently and that I don't gain it back. I do have willpower at times ( I must have had some willpower to lose 30 lbs) then I binge a little and it sets off a month of casual eating without counting or thinking.

I still have questions about pre-surgery diet for lap band, that I hope someone will answer for me.

Thanks again for all your time and answers.

Ok, now if you tell me your husband/significant other is 6'3" that will really be scary. I have two children. One girl, one boy, both Adults now.

If I understand right, you had a laproscopic by pass and not a lap band. I thought this was the lapband discussion area, but I guess people cross over for questions, answers, solutions.

I have a close friend that had the gastric bypass and is happy with it. she lost 86 lbs initally( and quickly) and then went up about 25lbs and seems to have stablized there. It seems with the gastric bypass, people lose faster than with lapband, but I'm in no hurry as long as I lose somewhat consistently and that I don't gain it back. I do have willpower at times ( I must have had some willpower to lose 30 lbs) then I binge a little and it sets off a month of casual eating without counting or thinking.

I still have questions about pre-surgery diet for lap band, that I hope someone will answer for me.

Thanks again for all your time and answers.

LOL, I'm not in a longterm relationship right now, but I will look for someone 6'3". I actually have 4 daughters that I adopted as a single Mom.....26, 18, 15, 11. Lots of interesting times there.....not for the faint of heart. :o I also take care of a man with disabilities in my home. He has lived with me almost 14 years, so is definitely family.

I don't think we have an area just for banding. There are only a handful on here I think. But you are welcome either way. It's still about the decision, the challenges, the journey, and your health. This is a great bunch of people. I don't know what I'd have done without them.

In my case, the loss was slow and steady. I lost 24 the first month, then 20 then I lost between 2 and 9 each month til my goal. I never hit a lengthy plateau, but although I weighed regularly, I only counted on that monthly weight for tracking progress. I say just research....search your own habits, thoughts, health, fears, and choose. THEN, run with it and do as best you can. You'll make it.....and we'll help you along no matter what you choose.

WOW, with all that on your plate at home to handle, I don't know how you found time to eat anyway :) or get the surgery done! That's amazing.

24 lbs in a month seems unbelievable to me, when it took 10 months for me to lose 30! ( so you lost 44 lbs in 2 months) Did that seem incredible to you?

About 23 years ago I had jaw surgery and I had to be wired shut for six weeks. There was a plastic bite piece also in my mouth, so only THIN liquids would go down, clear broth, diet 7 up with a little ice cream was my main diet during that whole time. Of course, the wires came off and I made up for lost time. It's like the thermostat that tells a person they've had enough is broken in me.

I weighed much less at the time of the jaw surgery than I do now ( about 150), but in those six weeks, I still only lost 12 lbs! I know from weight watchers etc. that I lose slowly and I'm so used to seeing small numbers on the scale that I don't think that would be a shock.

I registered for the seminar, but did not receive any confirmation, so I registered again and just got it. Feb 13th.

I have already checked with my ins company and it is covered. I have some pre made plans that I will have to work around and don't know how long it takes most people from initial visit to actual surgery date and assumes that varies with surgeons, regions etc.

The ideal timimg for me would be late April, so I'm aiming for that. But I've been overweight so long, a few months won't matter.

I'm going to spend some time this aft reading more of the discusions to learn more.

One more question for you, has excess skin been a problem for you? I'm very worried about that. Clothes usually cover most of it, but I know my arms and my legs will look bad and we own a rental property at the beach, that we like to spend some time at. I know I don't look great now, but thin with lots of baggy skin scares me and you cannot hide your legs/arms at the beach!

P.S. My friend still has trouble with ice cream... dumping syndrome... I guess that's a good thing or she'd be eating it!

Thanks again!

WOW, with all that on your plate at home to handle, I don't know how you found time to eat anyway :) or get the surgery done! That's amazing.

24 lbs in a month seems unbelievable to me, when it took 10 months for me to lose 30! ( so you lost 44 lbs in 2 months) Did that seem incredible to you?

About 23 years ago I had jaw surgery and I had to be wired shut for six weeks. There was a plastic bite piece also in my mouth, so only THIN liquids would go down, clear broth, diet 7 up with a little ice cream was my main diet during that whole time. Of course, the wires came off and I made up for lost time. It's like the thermostat that tells a person they've had enough is broken in me.

I weighed much less at the time of the jaw surgery than I do now ( about 150), but in those six weeks, I still only lost 12 lbs! I know from weight watchers etc. that I lose slowly and I'm so used to seeing small numbers on the scale that I don't think that would be a shock.

I registered for the seminar, but did not receive any confirmation, so I registered again and just got it. Feb 13th.

I have already checked with my ins company and it is covered. I have some pre made plans that I will have to work around and don't know how long it takes most people from initial visit to actual surgery date and assumes that varies with surgeons, regions etc.

The ideal timimg for me would be late April, so I'm aiming for that. But I've been overweight so long, a few months won't matter.

I'm going to spend some time this aft reading more of the discusions to learn more.

One more question for you, has excess skin been a problem for you? I'm very worried about that. Clothes usually cover most of it, but I know my arms and my legs will look bad and we own a rental property at the beach, that we like to spend some time at. I know I don't look great now, but thin with lots of baggy skin scares me and you cannot hide your legs/arms at the beach!

P.S. My friend still has trouble with ice cream... dumping syndrome... I guess that's a good thing or she'd be eating it!

Thanks again!

Well, my life has lots of stress and I am an emotional eater....lol. Actually, now my life is much calmer. I am down to 2 kids and one is currently living at a residential placement for treatment of her many issues. So, I kind of worked on getting help for me at the same time I found them help. My 11 year old does not have the same intense issues the other kids did. I got her younger as part of the sib group and she was not abused.

The skin bothered me a lot. Right after my year anniversary, when I reached my goal, I got a tummy tuck, chin lift, and breast lift and augmentation. I did not have thighs or arms done and not sure if I will. I did the amount possible in one day anyhow. The arms and thighs are a little flabby/wrinkly, but not sure it will be worth the pain and money unless he can do a more minor "tweaking" rather than the intense surgery like I've had. But I am happy with my results. I can now usually wear jeans between a 1/2 and a 4....depending on brand and cut. But I am stockier on top. But it is great to have NO love handles finally!!! I also still nitpick the extra around my upper body....but everyone else tells me get over it. I guess we are always harder on ourselves.

Yes, it was amazing to lose 44 lbs so fast.....but I just kept focusing on heading the right direction and let it come off how it will. But when I got about 25 lbs from goal I boosted exercise so I could get it off and get the plastic surgery. It's been an awesome journey. :)

What a long road ahead of me. As far as I know my friend did not have any plastic surgery after, but she is taller. ( she has mentioned she wants some tho')

I had already looked into plastic surgery after losing the thirty pounds because I have that awful " crepeing" on my neck. I've always had a very full face) but I didn't follow up b/c my husband got sick and needed surgery and then I gained 1/2 of the 30 back.

I'm pretty sure I would do a face/chin lift. My husband is supportive, so that's a big plus, he says whatever I decide about the surgery and after he's ok with. And he's ok if I do nothing at all.

I never wore a size 4 jean ever, and I did weigh 128 in high school, I carry my weight mostly all over, but a little more below the waist. I progress from a size 16/18 at shoulder, to 18/20 at waist and 20/22 at hip/stomach. That's why I'm so worried about those short fat legs that will surely have baggy skin.

You must feel so good about yourself after all that "tucking" ! Good for you!

Hi, all I am meeting with my surgeon on MON FEB 12:) as of now I am being banded but my surgeon does both rny and lap....after reading so much on both I am really turning more on the rny...I am 5'0 weigh 220....i can be a big eater when i do eat....idk...im so confused....also about how long after u meet with ur surgeon till u have the surgery???:confused: :confused:......also is the rny and gb the same thing???? I know there are different bypass's thanks all?

Hi, all I am meeting with my surgeon on MON FEB 12:) as of now I am being banded but my surgeon does both rny and lap....after reading so much on both I am really turning more on the rny...I am 5'0 weigh 220....i can be a big eater when i do eat....idk...im so confused....also about how long after u meet with ur surgeon till u have the surgery???:confused: :confused:......also is the rny and gb the same thing???? I know there are different bypass's thanks all?

Congrats on the meeting with the surgeon. I too thought about doing the band, and have changed my mind to RNY.. but am open to sugeon suggestions (kinda).. I see him for the first time tomorrow.. and I know in his group, they wont even submit to the insurance until you have been in their care for 3 months (nutritionists/support groups/exercise people/psych).. I think is totally dependant on the surgeon how long it takes. RNY is the Roux En Y .. and is generally what people are referring to when they say gastric bypass. It is the "gold standard" of weight loss surgeries. Good luck on making your decision.. Keep us posted!

Okay, that is what I was thinking too letting my surgeon help me out with this HUGE decision:confused: I just dont want to get banded and have no results or little and I know with the GB my results will be more with what I am expecting....JUST REALLLY TIRED OF FAILURE!!!!lol for real though...I am sure that he will help me out and all of you will too....thanks soo much:)

laura

220/120

Highest/Goal

12/04/06 Surgeon Referral

12/08/06 Paperwork Sent in

1/04/07 Bloodwork/ekg/upper GI

2/12/07 Meet with Dietician/Physical Ther/ and Surgeon

http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

I still go here once in a while and look.. its a comparison of the different surgeries.. It really helped me when I was deciding.. I hope it helps you too!

ok all went to meet surgeon on Tuesday the 13th and it really went well and I am having the ryn done in 5 weeks, was having the lap-band done at first but my surgeon thinks I am a better canidatefor the rn...im even more nervous now than ever!!!

laura

220/120

Highest/Goal

12/04/06 Surgeon Referral

12/08/06 Paperwork Sent in

1/04/07 Bloodwork/ekg/upper GI

2/12/07 Meet with Dietician/Physical Ther/ and Surgeon

Nerves are normal. Congrats on making a decision!

This is the first time that I had something come back up. I eat fried shrimp today and within a few minutes of eating the four one, I was feeling like hell. After a couple of minutes, I realized that the shrimp was on it way up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is the first time that I had something come back up. I eat fried shrimp today and within a few minutes of eating the four one, I was feeling like hell. After a couple of minutes, I realized that the shrimp was on it way up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Lesson learned! Mine is raw carrots or sweet potato.