mstosh005

help! im affraid im gonna gain more wieght

18 posts in this topic

im getting a little nerves because i gained 3 pounds back and im still in my weight loss phase. ok have anyone gained weight at 10 months post op? for you long term post op what things do you do to help maintain your wieght. im able to eat alot more then i was in the being. an i also have bad habits of snacking when im bored. do anyone here eat 5 smalls meal a day. thats the diet i was on before the surgery and it help with the snacking. i came to far to gain all my weight back besides i still have 25 more pounds to loss in order to reach my goal.

If you get enough protein in during your meals, you should be able to scale yourself back to 3 meals per day and one snack. The grazing could be what is causing your problems, and you may want to consider journaling what you eat and drink - and how you felt at the time you ate. That way you can pinpoint whether or not you are an emotion or boredom eater. Drink lots of water because that keeps you full, too. Go back to basics, and you should see some progress...

Good luck to you!

I often ate 5-8 times a day during my weight loss phase. I would say the first thing to do is look honestly at your habits.....enough protein, healthy foods, not grazing, etc. Also make sure you eat enough calories. If you seem to be on track "most" of the time, then chalk it up as water retention and body fluctuations. I used a lot of methods at the phase you are trying to get those last pounds off and fend off the munchie monsters......but I did it and so can you! I started journaling, upped my workouts, went to counseling, paired protein with all meals and snacks, etc.....whatever helps you. I also used warm liquids with some dry milk (coffee, tea, cocoa) to ease any hunger and give my hands and mouth something to do besides eat. I still do it a lot and it gets my liquids in. Something soothing and satisfying for me in warm beverages. We can give more specific ideas and advice if need be...but just jump in at every angle....you can get it going again!!!

I just went through a period where I gained 5 pounds. What I did was to honestly evaluate what I was eating. The best way to do that is to food journal. That helps make you accountable to yourself about what you are eating. You have to be honest with yourself though. Write everything down that goes into your mouth. That way you can see if there are some things that need to change.

The other thing I did was to increase my protein. I know that sounds strange but you need to make sure you are getting in enough protein and calories. What I did was aim to get in 80-100 grams of protein and 1000-1200 calories.

For me, it appeared that I was on a major plateau. After discussing what I was eating with my nutritionist she assured me that I was still following the rules and that I should see a weight loss after 4-6 weeks. She was right. I went up and down 5 pounds for 6 weeks and then I suddenly lost 13 pounds in just under 3 weeks!

Hang in there. You can turn this around if you are not totally following the rules. It isn't too late. Just don't let it get out of hand. Make yourself accountable.

When was the last time you had an adjustment? What type of follow up do you get to stay on track?

I do know that you need to stay away form grazing and eating liquid or soft foods. Eat three real meals and 2 snacks to keep from feeling hungry. Choose bulkier foods like salads and whole foods vs prepacked stuff.

this is a pic from a year ago...i will get some more:)

post-3780-12990980436814_thumb.jpg

This comes up alot and the long term guys on here usually remind you NO snacking and go back to the basics...up your protein and exercise! And sip your water!

Tosh jump on this problem fast. If you have to start your liquid proteinonly for about a week do that. Get the snacking out of your system. That is what I am trying to do. If I am getting the urge to eat something I might grab some turkey meat and cheese. Peanut butter is great too. Keep foods high in protein around you. That way when you are craving something to eat at least it is protein base and you aren't doing any harm. I am rooting for you girlfriend. Hang in there.

I have been faithfully been on 3 meals a day for over a year. I add in snacks when I feel the need. The doctor wants me to add in more snacks and food to try and maintain now but the thought of more food is scary. What I have found is that adding in more food means good quality food - more fruit, more nuts and extra protein drink. It seemed to of helped the past 2 weeks and I haven't lost any more weight.

Grazing is the evil of all. So important to keep to regular meals as grazing on anything will cause failure. Like others said, write down what you eat, when and be totally honest. You will see things that you need to change...then take the steps to do just that. You have done so well, come so far and you can continue to loose!

I believe everyone is different. I personally eat about 5-7 meals a day. My surgeon is ok with that because I only eat very small portions at a time. As you can see from my stats I hit my goal and way under it before I was a year out. Eating small multiple meals has worked for me, I didn't graze. I couldn't eat a cup of food at a time before I was a year out. I would eat one piece of turkey lunch meat and a slice of cheese and be done so my surgeon told me ok do that but eat every couple of hours so I did and have had success with my weight loss. I make sure I make good food choices when I do eat. I did fall into a slump being pregnant and wanting to SNACKKKK...But I got a kick in the butt and must say now that I am 6 months pregnant and 15 months post op my food intake is alot better. I can finally eat almost a whole sandwich at a meal. I think you have to find what works for you. The one thing that I found for myself is if after a half hour of eating if I feel hungry I know it is in my head so I will get a drink if that doesn't satisfy me then I will eat my SF popsicles. Almost always cures it. Find what works for you, I had to experiment with alot of different things to find my groove. Good Luck!

I believe everyone is different. I personally eat about 5-7 meals a day. My surgeon is ok with that because I only eat very small portions at a time. As you can see from my stats I hit my goal and way under it before I was a year out. Eating small multiple meals has worked for me, I didn't graze. I couldn't eat a cup of food at a time before I was a year out. I would eat one piece of turkey lunch meat and a slice of cheese and be done so my surgeon told me ok do that but eat every couple of hours so I did and have had success with my weight loss. I make sure I make good food choices when I do eat. I did fall into a slump being pregnant and wanting to SNACKKKK...But I got a kick in the butt and must say now that I am 6 months pregnant and 15 months post op my food intake is alot better. I can finally eat almost a whole sandwich at a meal. I think you have to find what works for you. The one thing that I found for myself is if after a half hour of eating if I feel hungry I know it is in my head so I will get a drink if that doesn't satisfy me then I will eat my SF popsicles. Almost always cures it. Find what works for you, I had to experiment with alot of different things to find my groove. Good Luck!

Sorry to hijack the thread but, just wondering...did you exercise like a fiend to get that weight off so fast or is that just how your body handled the tool?

I am going to be very honest....I didn't excercise. I did my normal routine, I have 3 small children so I was always busy with them but never hit a gym or anything. I do walk daily not far but enough to take the kids to the park or walk my dogs. I always just made sure that when I did eat I made good food choices that first year. I still today eat very small portions and I am doing great with my weight. When I tell people I am 30 weeks pregnant they laugh at me as I only have gained the weight in my belly but I have gained just about 25lbs with the pregnancy but you would never know it.

Sorry to hijack the thread but, just wondering...did you exercise like a fiend to get that weight off so fast or is that just how your body handled the tool?

Like the wise losers have said, back to basics, be honest with yourself, and exercise. It will work, you just have to do more of the work now.

Like the wise losers have said, back to basics, be honest with yourself, and exercise. It will work, you just have to do more of the work now.

And more, and more, and more, and more.....when it all shakes down.....this is tough!

If you get enough protein in during your meals, you should be able to scale yourself back to 3 meals per day and one snack. The grazing could be what is causing your problems, and you may want to consider journaling what you eat and drink - and how you felt at the time you ate. That way you can pinpoint whether or not you are an emotion or boredom eater. Drink lots of water because that keeps you full, too. Go back to basics, and you should see some progress...

Good luck to you!

i hear people say find out if you an emotional eater or eating out of boredom but when you pinpoint whichever one it is, what do you do then????:confused: like i know i snack out of boredom. i came to that conclusion. so now what do i do? thanks! :)

I was both type, actually I am still those at 3 years post op.You have to stick to the plan.My plan has been 5-7 small meals everyday.When I don't eat like that I feel lightheaded and my hands shake uncontrollably.

Always stick to basics & your Drs recommendation's.

but grazing is what is doing you in. You have stretch receptors in the top of your stomach. When you eat enough, they stretch and signal the brain that you're full. That's why Lap Bands work better than dieting and exercise. With dieting, your body is never quite full and so the stretch receptors let your brain know that your body is experiencing famine. Once you go into famine mode, your pancreas starts producing more insulin that causes your body to hang on to the food that it's receiving for storage rather than burning it as energy. So, to make a long story short, when you snack you're moving your body out of "plenty" mode (the goal of having a Lap Band) and into famine mode (the cycle that causes you to regain weight you've lost after a diet). I think the idea with Lap Bands is to eat enough to be genuinely full, and then to stop eating until your next meal. That keeps you in "plenty" mode and so your body has no need to hang on to whatever it is you're eating. By snacking and not filling up, you're suggesting to your body that famine is around the corner so it's finding ways to hang on to every calorie it can.

Good luck to you!

Maybe it's just me, but I drink tons of water all day and it doesn't help to curb any hunger at all. When my stomach growls, it wants nothing but food.

However, I have had only one fill so far, so my restriction isn't quite there yet. I have another one on Friday.