Val 3

Anyone else do the Lap Band?

Just wondering if anyone else has done the lap band?

I had mine placed on 11-16-06

So far I have had a brisk weight loss of 44 lbs. I got my first fill on 1-4

We haven't had too many here...glad to hear that it's working for you!

Hi Val

The lap band section was just added this week (I think) so there really hasn't been much activity yet. Great job on your weight loss so far!

WOW!! Great job on the weight loss!! I too had LAP band surgery done in December of 2005. I didn't do as well as you though. I only lost 15 pounds and had about 12 fills and unfills. I am having my band removed and getting bypass surgery next month. My doctor said it just doesn't work for some people. So here I am! Good luck to you, you are off to a great start!:)

What made you decide to do the lap band vs the gastric bypass? Did you look into both procedures?

Did your doctor offer any advice to which one to choose?

HI

Thanks everyone. I am feeling pretty good. I just hope the "ride" doesnt end. I worry that the band wont work forever, but it is right now so I am going with it. I am following the rules, which arent different then the RNY rules closely. (well maybe a 6m. RNY person, not a newly done one!!)

Blevon~ I really didnt have a choice. I have cardiomyopathy, and with my heart in its current weak stake, I was way to much of a risk to go under for the time required by my DR for the bypass. So I decided to go with the band and make the best of it. We talked about me loosing 50lbs, in 9m. and hopefully regaining some heart function, and then going to the bypass. Right now at almost 8 weeks out I am down well in weight, almost the first 50 that they thought were going to take me nine months to do, and my heart hasnt improved yet. So I just keep moving foreward, and hope I either improve my heart enough to have the bypass, or loose enough weight that I am happy with my loss. Right now I am happy with my loss, and I hate to think about another surgery. LOL

Hi'

I had my lap bAND surgery last wed, I fell so many things scard, excited, sore,

hurgary (a little). I,m taking one day at a time, looking forward to each fase and pray that I stay strong and make it through healthy and a great witness to this program. And thats my prayer for all of you...

Hello,

I had a lap band on 1-10-07 about ten days ago. I feel ok but my stomach feels blowted and often feels real tight Has anyone had this ? hope it will go away. I just started on soft mushie foods?? but I have lost 12lb

That makes me feel better ..

Im so glad there are some lap banders in this forum. My husband will be getting the band soon. :)

Completed all my tests - weirdest was the physc eval - the trouble is I find humor in many things - had to keep telling myself - Just answer the question - No more - no less - no snapy comebacks!

Hooping to get things approved and move foward soon. ;) The lap band seems to be the best choice for me as I am very very active playing sports 3-4 times a week - My metabolic switch is just stuck.

Completed all my tests - weirdest was the physc eval - the trouble is I find humor in many things - had to keep telling myself - Just answer the question - No more - no less - no snapy comebacks!

Hooping to get things approved and move foward soon. ;) The lap band seems to be the best choice for me as I am very very active playing sports 3-4 times a week - My metabolic switch is just stuck.

You are just a step ahead of me, I am going fo r my phsyc eval today, and then I have one more test, the cardiac echo on the 6th of feb, then it is all about getting my final approval....I wish you the best of luck on your exciting journey....Darlene:)

Hi, all I am meeting with my surgeon on MON FEB 12:) as of now I am being banded but my surgeon does both rxy and lap....after reading so much on both I am really turning more on the rxy...I am 5'0 weigh 220....i can be a big eater when i do eat....idk...im so confused....also about how long after u meet with ur surgeon till u have the surgery???:confused: :confused:

Just wondering if anyone else has done the lap band?

I had mine placed on 11-16-06

So far I have had a brisk weight loss of 44 lbs. I got my first fill on 1-4

I recently had the lap-band done on Dec 22,2006...i have had to go for a few adjustments but he said it is normal to get it tight enough...i have lost about 20 pounds so far...I have a goal of 100 pounds i want to loose....good luck ...i am new here so not sure what i am doing....I joined to talk to other people who had the lap-band...my friend had the gastric bypass and has lost 125 in 1-1/2 years...my weight lose seems to be very slow....

I am new at this...I had my surgery on Dec. 22, 2006...i have lost about 20 pounds...but it seems very slow and discouraging...I had the lap-band...i dont know what to eat ...i have gone for 3 adjustments already cause I am so hungry....I was hoping this would help that....i just had my last adjustment on 2/20/07..so i am now on liquids for a day...i dont know if i eat to much or not enough....hoping i can get some help on here...i have read all of ur weight loses keep up the good work..i hope i get to 50 pounds down...my brother has a big party for memorial day and i want everyone to notice the weight lose...hope to hear from all of you....depressed in NJ....:(

Welcome! Try not to be discouraged! I think its normal for the lap-band weight loss to be a bit slower, because you havent been "rearranged.)

You can try here for ideas. I would imagine you would want to eat the same as someone who had the RNY.. but not real sure... the diet part of lap-band takes enormous strength of character! I commend you! Here is a link I came across in my ramblings that I love..

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/surgical/bariatric/diet.cfm

Keep us posted!

Well I was all set for 2/27 for my Lap Band - darn insurance co has not completed their end so - must wait a while - trying to schedule so I can still attend Clapton Concert in San Diego - March 15th - first things first. Been on 900 cal a day until surgery - lost 17 lb's so far.....maybe no need for surgery -NOT - been there - done that.

I see a number of you are east coast folks - my home town in Chappaqua NY - You know - the Clintons new "Home Town".

Well I was all set for 2/27 for my Lap Band - darn insurance co has not completed their end so - must wait a while - trying to schedule so I can still attend Clapton Concert in San Diego - March 15th - first things first. Been on 900 cal a day until surgery - lost 17 lb's so far.....maybe no need for surgery -NOT - been there - done that.

I see a number of you are east coast folks - my home town in Chappaqua NY - You know - the Clintons new "Home Town".

*grumbles about the new home town* :) I am living near Syracuse...

Sorry about your insurance company... but have fun at the Clapton concert! and Gratz on the 17 pounds. Lots of new lapbanders on the forum! I cant wait to see how you all do!

NJ loser

I had my band placed in Nov. so far I think I have been doing ok. basically I just use the low carb, and watch the fats kinda thing. I eaytprotein first, then fruits/vggies, then carbs. (I haven't had room for carbs yet, with a meal) I would maybe say its like a RNY diet maybe 6-12 out? I just say away from breads, pasta, and rices. Which is easy because they get stuck when I did try them, so it makes it easy to say away!! LOL

You can try here for ideas. I would imagine you would want to eat the same as someone who had the RNY.. but not real sure... the diet part of lap-band takes enormous strength of character! I commend you! Here is a link I came across in my ramblings that I love..

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/surgical/bariatric/diet.cfm

Keep us posted!

thank you for the link i printed out some menus...I am having a scrambled egg this morning and some whole wheat toast which I feel guilty eating....

I do have coffee but waiting to drink it...I forget and sometimes drink while eating which I know I have to stop...thank you for all of ur help...take care and happy loosing....NJ

Hello Everyone,

I had Lap-Band surgery 1-10-07 I feel great now, but the problem I'm having is I feel I'm eating to much, I had a fill two weeks ago. When I read or talk to people who had a fill they could only eat a little bit at a time . I can eat close to what I was eating before maybe a little less. I'm going back to see my doctor in a few days, my fill was 1cc. As anyone out there had this problem? I have lost 12 pounds in a month and 1/2. have not lost weight in the past two weeks!

thank you

Presch

I dont know if you were told before banding (I wasnt learned it later) that most people dont have good restriction till 3-5 fills. When I say good restriction that is what peolpe refer to the "sweet spot" meaing it allows you to eat, and restrict you but not have you get stuck all the time ect. I had no idea of this till after.

Heres to a good fill the 2nd time!! ( go on thursday and am hoping for the same thing!!! )

What made you decide to do the lap band vs the gastric bypass? Did you look into both procedures?

Did your doctor offer any advice to which one to choose?

i started out with the intension of having gastric bypass, i was denied by my insurance. then mayo clinic started doing lap band. my surgeon said i should consider that, i was pretty excited about that, i got approved had the surgery on 3/30/07 i feel good, very good. linda 233/224/135