Photo
- - - - -

Anybody went through the same problems as me?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Surgeon:John Hagen

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

Hi guys,
My name is Cindy and I am 25 years old. I am writing this post because I need to talk about what is happening to me. In october 13th 2005 I had my gastric bypass surgery done by laparoscopy. Then the next day on october 14th 2005, I had to get an emergency surgery because they found out that my intestins were twisted. So, they had to cut me open. Then I lost track of what happen for a week or so... All I can remember is waking up in ICU. And according to my family I almost died. When I woke up I had a drain to my stomack to feed me and I had an other drain the was picking up the fluid that was coming out from a little in my stomach and I had a wound that was about 8 inches wide by 12 inches long. My parents told me that one of the doctors told them that since I was on the strongest medications they could have, my internal organs could get in chuck mean that I could die at any time. My wound was open because I was having infection. After a couple days I had to get a CT scan done and they found out I had an infection in my pelvis so they had to put a drain in butt cheek. After about a week they transfered me to a regular room .... I was still on morphine. But then I had pain in one of my leg so they got a xray and they found out that I had a blood clot in my leg even tho I was on blood thinner. So they started to give me stronger blood thinner. Then they decided to send me home... It took 3 months for my wound to completely close. And ever since the first surgery I only have trouble. The doctors don't know what is going on. I had terrible abdominal pain.... to the point that I could not go to work and I was taking alots of pain killers (6 and up a day).My surgeon have asked alots of helps from other doctors but they did not seem to know what was going and could not figure what was the issue. So I got fed up and I went to Montreal and went to visit a Montreal doctor that had alots of knowledge but unfortunately he could not operate me because of all the people that are already waiting for a surgery with him. So he mailed my surgeon suggesting to fix my hernia and see if the problem would go away.... So, in september 15th, 2006 I finally got my hernia surgery. Which I tought would fix the pain or at least remove a bit of it. But nothing as changed. I am still in pain even after 14 months from the original gastric bypass. I am still taking pain killers and I haven't work for 9 months. I am physically and mental drained. I can't stand up for more then 10 minutes and it's just being crazy. Yes, I lost 147lbs in a year but I am going so much trouble that I can't seem to understand why I had the surgery in the first place. I don't know what to do anymore. I am depress and I really need help and have someone finding out what is wrong with me. Anybody, had similar issues or experience?

p.s: And forgot to say that I have been vomitting many times a day since the surgery. After the hernia the issue got fix. But it still take me at least 45 minutes to eat small meals.
~*Cindy
[COLOR="Yellow"]Taking one day at the time.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever.

#2 kittens4

kittens4

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Kent Sasse

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:32 PM

Oh my goodness Cindy...you have been through hell! I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences. I did have complications, but very minor compared to yours. There is risk with this surgery, as we all know. We just hope and pray it doesn't happen to us! I did develop a blockage 1 week after my gastric bypass, had a 2nd surgery a week later (lap), and then developed pneumonia. I've been off work since 10/21! I'll be going back Jan 2nd though, and am fine now. The pneumonia is gone, and the 2nd surgery fixed the blockage, and I haven't vomited once since that revision. I feel very very lucky. I hope you can find a doctor that can help you. Your weight loss is great, congrats on that, but as you said, it came with a high price. I'm just so sad to hear what happened to you. I hope things get better for you soon. I'll be thinking about you and praying for some relief for you.
Elaine
Started at 260, Happy now at 155ish....

Gymrat Member#22
Ducksack Member#2

"LainieBear"

#3 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for the support. And like you said we all know the risks that comes with this surgery but we all hope it won't be us.

I am hoping to get well soon.
~*Cindy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever.

#4 ceekerr

ceekerr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Edward Facundus

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

Bless you! You've certainly been through it, haven't you? We'll all be praying for you. Hang in there!
I'm just an ol' chunk of coal, Oh Lord, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday!

January 11, 2007 - BCBS approved
Surgery date March 28, 2007 Lap RNY
266/188.8/To be healthy!!!
78.2 pounds GONE! :eek:

#5 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:288
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2006
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

You may end up having to come to the states for a full evaluation. I am sure you feel like warm poop, but maybe you can e-mail or write to a few doctors here and see if they'll review your case. You'll have to send lots of medical records etc.

Now here in the states of course, we have this wonderful thing called a malpractice lawsuit, overused to be sure, but helpful in some cases. I know Canada has a different system so I don't know what your options are with that, but you should explore them fully.

Basically, you're sick and you need care. You are a young person and should be able to stand for more than 10 minutes. Get some help - do you have a family member who can advocate for you?? Go to High School with anyone who became a lawyer??

Good luck - You'll be in our prayers at least!
TT Gym rat club member #5

#6 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:54 AM

Thank you girls for all your support. I am going to talk to my family doctor and see if we can do anything and I probably will have to seek for help in the US. I will keep you posted on the situation.

I know that I am young and I am suppose to have alots of chances to recover quick but the fact is that I have been fighting with pain for over a year and now my body and my head are telling me that it's enough and they can't deal with it anymore.......
~*Cindy

#7 desmccoy

desmccoy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Louis Jimanaze assisted by Scott

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:19 AM

Cindy Know you have me petrified to go through this surgery. I haven't had it done yet and know I am rethinking it. I will definitly be praying for you.

#8 Rachel

Rachel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. IM Kaiser Permanente Richmond, CA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

Cindy, you poor thing. I wish I could take your pain for a few days so you could have a chance to enjoy the new you. I hope that you are able to find some help soon. Stay strong and know that you can come here anytime and we will be here for you. You can do it... keep fighting! HUGS! :o
315/289/183
Highest/Surgery/Current

Surgery 2-28-07

Goal to just be overweight 190
Goal to be "normal" 155

Do I really want to be normal?? Having some body issues. Don't want to be too thin.

#9 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for all your support guys. I have meet with my family doctor last thursday and she prescribe me celebrex, which is an anti-inflammatory for muscles. And since I have been taking that my pain is not as bad. Actually, I down to one or 2 percocet a day instead of 6 and up. She also gave me pills for depression. I called them my happy pills because I am feeling alot more happier and I am not taking dark anymore which is a wonderful thing.

Hopefully, that's the end of all the troubles and if it's the end that something we should of tried a long long long time ago.

I will keep all posted on what is going on.
~*Cindy

#10 Rachel

Rachel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. IM Kaiser Permanente Richmond, CA

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:40 AM

You should check with you GB surgeon to make sure that you can take Celebrex. It was one of the medications that I was told I wouldn't be able to take after surgery. Sometimes the Family Doc's are not on the same page as the Surgeons.

At any rate I am sooooo glad that you are feeling better! Here is to more happy days to come :)
315/289/183
Highest/Surgery/Current

Surgery 2-28-07

Goal to just be overweight 190
Goal to be "normal" 155

Do I really want to be normal?? Having some body issues. Don't want to be too thin.

#11 LisaBoston

LisaBoston

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nohr
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:312
  • Current Weight:152
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Cindy, just saw your post. Oh my, you sure have been through a lot. I am on the West Coast of Canada. I am quite concerned about your care. Is there anyone else there in a bariatric unit (Ontario) that can give you and overall checkup and detail your situation? There seems to be a lot going on and different doctors giving you meds...be careful.

Its the chance we all take, having any surgery has its risks. I hope that you can find a good doctor to guide you and if not, go in search of one.

Keep us posted.
Lisa
aka....Canadian Bear and her Canadian Bear Cubs!

Open RNY - Jan 30, 2006, Tummy Tuck - June 4, 2007
Century Club - Sept 12, 2006, Overweight Club - Oct 19, 2006
One-der-land - Nov 8, 2006,Below Goal - Jan 30, 2007 - 1st Anniversary Date!
Holding Below Goal - 2 year surgery anniversary! Holding at 155 :) - 3 year surgery anniversary (Jan 09)
Jan 2013- 7 year anniversary - 152

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 rainrain

rainrain

Community Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationNorth County Coastal/ San Diego, Ca.
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:296
  • Current Weight:175
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:12/27/2004

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

I feel for you!
Be strong, you were so brave to decide to have the surgery to be healthier. Even though you are thinner now, I can see you do not feel better...enough.

I hope all resolves itself.
Look forward and into the future.
Perhaps the worst is over and the road to healing is around the corner.

Rain

https://www.facebook...ton.afterthefat

Dr. Callery's Support Group Leader

http://www.thinnerti...support-groups/

www.afterthefat.com

12-27-04 Dr. Callery (Open RNY)
296 pre-op
Current 175 5'7"1/2

Love yourself enough to choose healthy!!

#13 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

I have been taking celebrex for a week now and the pain is not bad at all.... The only pain that I have is from the mesh that they had to put to fix the hernia. Once again, if i try to clean the house or do something else the pain comes back.... But, i know that I am close from being healthy again.

My hopes are up again.....
~*Cindy

#14 coptergirl

coptergirl

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts
  • Surgeon:Stanley Klein

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Cindy - I am so sorry for all that you've had to endure on your journey so far, but and glad to hear that things seem to be turning around for you.
Blessings,

Whitney :)
272/243/123.5/135
Highest/Pre-op/Current/Goal

GBS 3/7/06
Dr. Stanley Klein -Torrance, CA

Hernia Repair/Tummy Tuck 3/9/07!!!!

148.5 pounds and 64.5 inches gone forever!!:D

GOAL REACHED 2/6/07!!!

Ducksack Member#3! And TTBear Blondbear!!
www.myspace.com/horsegalwhit

#15 MiladyB

MiladyB

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI
  • Surgeon:Dr Randal Baker; Dr Ronald Ford (TT/BL)
  • Hospital:Spectrum Health; Blodgett Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:359
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.4
  • Surgery Date:01/30/2006

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

Cindy, I'm glad you are feeling better. Since you are on Celebrex has the doctor put you on anything like Pepcid or Zantac? The concern with Celebrex is that it is what is called a NSAID (non-steroid anti-inflamatory drug). When you take those kinds of meds post-op you really increase the chance of getting an ulcer. Not a good thing for wls patients. I know my surgeon does periodically put people on something like Celebrex but he also couples it with something that will decrease your chance of getting ulcers. If you aren't on something you really need to talk to your doctor about it.

If you ever want to consider looking into a doctor in the states I can recommend one in Michigan. But I don't know how feasable that is for you.

Take care and keep us informed.
~Beth~

Lap RNY: 1/30/06-Dr Randal Baker
TT/BL: 09/21/07-Dr Ronald Ford
PS Revisions: 04/29/08-Dr Ronald Ford
Gallbladder: 05/14/08-Dr Randal Baker
Emergency surgery (Intussusception): 02/29/09-Dr James Foote
Exploratory Lap: 03/16/2011-Dr Randal Baker
Sclerotherapy: 06/09/2011-Dr Randal Baker

#16 espoir

espoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

I am taking losec since i had an ulcer last year from everything they tried to gave me. And I am also taking losec because without it my stomach is not doing well. So far I have been doing alot better since i started celebrex and since my doctor gave me depression pills (cipralex). My doctor is even talking about let me go back to work in february. But I will know on monday. I am kind of nervous and lately i don't feel like eating and if i do eat I feel sick. Eating is now for me something that I do because I have to not because I like to. So the overall the pain is under control but I am having other problems now... .We can never win.

P.S: I want to tell you all that coming on this website helps me alot because I know that you guys are understanding everything I am going through. Thank you all.
~*Cindy

#17 minime

minime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

I just read your post. I only look in every other month or so. I am so sorry for all that you've been through. My surgery was July 2005 and I had very few problems. I do know how pain can make you depressed though. I'm glad that you're getting help with the anti depressants. That is going to be a big part of you getting better I'm sure.

I feel compelled to ask you again, as others have done here, if you asked the GB surgeon about taking Celebrex. Obviously for several of us here it doesn't seem like a risk worth taking considering what you've already been through. My doctors won't even consider letting me take anti inflammatory drugs of any kind and I have severe arthritis. I'm still taking Lor Tab Elixer two years after surgery to get relief from the arthritic pain. Another drug that they let me take that helps a lot is called ultram or tramadol. It's a synthetic drug like vicodin but supposedly not addicting. It helps me with my knee pain as well.

And finally, at the risk of starting something, I hope people will really listen to the politicians when they talk of universal health care. We are lucky to be in this country. There are plenty of them out there, though, who want us to have a system similar to Canadas, where the wait for life saving surgeries can kill you.

Take care and keep posting to let us know how you are.

Minime
271/135/149
Texas Lap Bypass

#18 kbm92064

kbm92064

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hi Cindy,
I am curious about the pain your having. I am a little over three years out. About one year out I started getting cramp/spasms around my stomache. Especially when my abdominal muscels get strained.Now they are more intense and frequent. The docs are in the process to try to find something out but no luck so far. The pain I get spasms and then feels like my insides are tearing apart. and then I am left for days with pain and tenderness. I am not vomitting and it sounds more serious for you.I am curious if your pain is anything like mine. I too am trying to find someone else who has these same issues and what they're doing about it. I hope you find some relief and answers soon.
Karen

#19 ACORNEY

ACORNEY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Surgeon:DR.FANG

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

I Will Put U On My Prey Change Tonight. I Hope U Get Better Very Soon.

Take Care
April

#20 Livin' La Vida Lori

Livin' La Vida Lori

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Krahn

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:56 PM

I also had my gastric bypass surgery done by laparoscopy and the next day I also had to get an emergency surgery because they found out that my intestins were twisted - but they were able to go back in thru the lap incisions. Since then it has been fine. I'm still home recovering (it's been 5 weeks) and I expect to go back to work in another week. I'm sorry that you've had such a rough time and hope things get better for you soon!
LAP/RNY 3/21/07
size 28 pre-op / size 14 current / size 6 goal
TT Gym rat club member #31 :D