Boho Rosy

Calorie counting, anyone?

I'm exactly three weeks out from my VSG, and for the most part, I've been having an easy-ish time of it. I'm in the pureed phase, and since eating hasn't been too problematic for me, I'm worried that I might overdo it. I know that the overwhelming majority of folks on here are low-carb enthusiasts, but I have never been successful going that route and have always had the best results choosing whole, low GI foods, and counting my calories. My question is, how many calories were you eating at this point in your journey? My nutritionist wants me to focus on protein and liquids, and I'm totally on it and hitting those goals daily, but she hasn't given me a calorie target and I REALLY want one. 

I've been around 600 calories a day since surgery (6 months out now). My nutritionist says most of her patients are at around 800 during the weight loss phase.

16 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I've been around 600 calories a day since surgery (6 months out now). My nutritionist says most of her patients are at around 800 during the weight loss phase.

Thanks, @Gretta. I'm usually under 700, so I guess I'm safe. 

I was at about 600 for the first few months, then 600-800 since then, with some 900 days recently. Many people go a bit higher and some go a bit lower. That’s such a huge calorie deficit that you’ll definitely lose weight if you stick around thereabouts.

I really wanted hard limits as well, and was not given them. My limits are basically how much I can eat right now without feeling low in energy or going under on protein goals. 

You’ll get it figured out, but it sure is easier knowing about what others are doing (thanks TTF fam!). It makes it feel more possible.

I was getting around 400 to 500 calories at 3 weeks out. I stay mostly around 800 now and have done that since around 2 months out.

18 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

You’ll get it figured out, but it sure is easier knowing about what others are doing (thanks TTF fam!). It makes it feel more possible.

True that! Thanks for your input!

I would say I was right around 400-500 a day by the end of the first month; up to 600 a day for most of month two; and now in month three on a good day it's between 800-900.  (On a bad day it's around 400 again...)  The days I go over 800 it's usually due to a pat of butter or an extra cup of Fairlife milk, so I'm not sweating it that much.  If I can hit and hover around 1000 a day by month 5 or 6 and I'm still losing, I'll feel pretty good about life.