Bigfuzzy

Tea suggestions

Recommended Posts

need suggestions for hot tea. I have not drank very much hot tea & have not found any I like. the only hot drink I have is coffee & would like to replace part of it with tea.

I used to drink a lot of iced sweet tea, when I started with the iced unsweetened tea it tasted like muddy water to me(this was years ago). we have a kurig coffee maker

& I guess I need a starting point to start. I have tried 3 or 4 different 1s but I haven't found any I like. would like to find 1 so I can drink coffee in the morning & tea in the afternoon & evening to go along with over 100 ounce of water. right now I use coffee in the evening when cold.

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no suggestions, sorry.  I find hot tea to taste like hot water..in the summer I drink iced tea with Splenda or a part of a lemonade drink stick (never liked lemon in it before surgery).  I also hated coffee before surgery!  Now I drink it hot or iced...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Celestial Seasonings Teas - especially the fruity flavours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green tea for me. I buy the Kirkland brand from Costco as it is also cold brew for making iced tea, and is a mix if sencha and matcha teas from Japan. Almost twice the price of other brands but definitely better quality in my opinion. I don't use sweeteners at all for tea or coffee so no adulteration of the taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you use milk &or sweetener in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celestial Seasoning Chamomile and Peppermint are my favorites. I don't add anything to them. Occasionally I will have Chai too. I add milk and some premier protein vanilla shake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes add a touch of sweetener to Celestial Seasonings teas but no milk. 

One of my all time favourites is spearmint tea.  Hot or room temperature and it has many health benefits:  contains vitamins, antioxidants, and vital nutrients, has the ability to soothe indigestion, improve the immune system, protect against fungal infections, boost dental health, reduce facial hair growth and lower inflammation, among others.

And spearmint is an easy plant to grow although it needs to be restricted because it can take over pretty quickly.  I dry the leaves towards the end of the growing season (easy enough to do - just cut the stems and hang in an airy area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy (surprise surprise) the Celestial Seasonings herbal teas, I only use a dash of Stevia in them to sweeten. The "spicier" ones are the ones I enjoy the most, such as Cinnamon Apple Spice, Carmel Apple Dream, and then I also like a bit milder flavors like Cranberry Vanilla Wonderland, True Blueberry, etc. I use my Kuerig just for the hot water right now, I'm not supposed to have coffee or caffeine at the moment.

I love coffee and it took me until the 4th or 5th month in my 6-mo pre-op program to finally give it up. I know for sure I will probably drink it again someday, but for now I have embraced tea as my new normal. Too many good things are happening to me because of the surgery, to really mourn the coffee loss :-)

I hope the tea suggestions help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the only time my surgeon wanted me totally off coffee was the 2 weeks after surgery, then he told me I could start back.

it amazing how the programs & requirements differ with different surgeons. will try the celestial seasonings 1st.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Bigfuzzy. Another South Carolinian here :)

I grew up drinking hot tea when I lived in Ohio. Moved down here and most folks always seem to drink only iced tea. I drink my iced tea unsweetened with plenty of lemon. Real lemon as it is really good for the kidneys.

When I did drink hot tea, I liked plain black or orange pekoe with cream and sugar. I am actually looking forward to drinking hot tea again post op. Good luck finding a few that you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite hot tea in the world is Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf from their "dessert tea" line - a splash of milk and a splash of SF sweetener and it's practically like having liquid lemon poundcake. :) The scent is transcendent. They have a couple other "dessert" teas, but both have caffeine and I'm trying to avoid that. My grocery store never has the fancier Tazo teas that I like, but I can always find them at Target. (And for some reason they cost an arm and a leg on Amazon, so check locally first.)

I also like Celestial Seasonings Peppermint, and CS Orange Spice, as well as Bigelow Peach, and Tazo Decaf Chai. Oh, and Bigelow Blueberry Aloe, and Blackberry Cinnamon.

I'm kind of into tea at the moment - it's the only clear liquid that goes down easy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bigfuzzy I see a name change coming. You are going to be Slimfuzzy soon. Congrats on your stats! 

I am fond of a company called DAVIDs Tea. Their customer service is phenomenal. I have written/called them to find out the nutritional content of their teas and a rep has contacted me to go over each ingredient. Check them out at davidstea.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Bigfuzzy I see a name change coming. You are going to be Slimfuzzy soon....

.....

Just gone 5.30 in the morning and I'm now wearing coffee down the front of my new pink flannel PJ's (an early Christmas present from my husband although he has yet to receive his credit card bill so he doesn't know how generous he's been this year).

Thank you NerdyLady - I think we should appoint you head of "you need a new ID" thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2017 at 8:54 AM, cinwa said:

Just gone 5.30 in the morning and I'm now wearing coffee down the front of my new pink flannel PJ's (an early Christmas present from my husband although he has yet to receive his credit card bill so he doesn't know how generous he's been this year).

Thank you NerdyLady - I think we should appoint you head of "you need a new ID" thread.

@cinwa Aw shucks. Just doing my best to  be useful around here. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 8:39 PM, NerdyLady said:

@cinwa Aw shucks. Just doing my best to  be useful around here. :D

 

You are more than useful to this forum and it's members than you could imagine. t4614.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cinwa Thanks the nicest thing I’ve heard in ages. Thank you. :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 1:18 PM, Bigfuzzy said:

need suggestions for hot tea. I have not drank very much hot tea & have not found any I like. the only hot drink I have is coffee & would like to replace part of it with tea.

I used to drink a lot of iced sweet tea, when I started with the iced unsweetened tea it tasted like muddy water to me(this was years ago). we have a kurig coffee maker

& I guess I need a starting point to start. I have tried 3 or 4 different 1s but I haven't found any I like. would like to find 1 so I can drink coffee in the morning & tea in the afternoon & evening to go along with over 100 ounce of water. right now I use coffee in the evening when cold.

thanks 

Slimfuzzy, I'm an espresso coffee drinker... but my wife loves Sleepy Time Celestial tea in the evening. I agree with her it has both nice herbal hints and a tiny tiny touch of interesting bitterness to balance the fruit notes. She drinks it with Stevia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigfuzzy will probably stay, had it for years, I am a long way from being small. I am 6'4" & just over 200lbs so I don't see it going away.

I have tried a few teas & have found nothing that hits the spot. I drank sweet tea all my life up till 3 or 4 years ago, when I tried unsweetened

it wasn't worth the effort. now i don't even like the unsweetened that comes in the bottle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bigfuzzy said:

Bigfuzzy will probably stay, had it for years, I am a long way from being small. I am 6'4" & just over 200lbs so I don't see it going away.

I have tried a few teas & have found nothing that hits the spot. I drank sweet tea all my life up till 3 or 4 years ago, when I tried unsweetened

it wasn't worth the effort. now i don't even like the unsweetened that comes in the bottle.

 

Hmm. at work I brew up strong black tea and just add a little Splenda... so strong, bitter, a touch of sweet, so lots of different things going on. 

This might be off the deep end, but in South America they drink mate (with an accent over the e) - might do the trick for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now