Mrs.NA

Too much to do

So I’ve been volunteering at a local church for almost a year now serving people hot lunches almost every week. Over the summer I did cooking for a couple of the meals myself, and really enjoy helping.. so of course I offered to volunteer for the Christmas dinner this year. This is when I found out that the coordinator was stepping down this year and they were looking for her replacement. I remember my brain saying ‘no! That’s too much’ while my mouth was saying “sure, I’ll take it over”. 

So here we are a few weeks away and it’s kind of hitting me that I’ve never coordinated anything in my life, never been to the church Christmas dinner so have no idea what it will look like or how it functions, and I have 1 week to raise $1200 in order to give our regular patrons who are in need some gift cards for Christmas... oh yes... and I need to make sure 150 people get fed. 

Of course I’ll do my best, but just starting to feel a little overwhelmed with it all on little sleep and not much time for my real life with a spouse and two kids to think about. 

Thanks for letting me vent that TTF fam!

@Mrs.NA...don't fret over this! It is obvious that this is something that you love to do and apparently very good at it. Yes, it is a lot of responsibility, but you got this. Make a list and plan for each day to ensure you have it all covered for a great end result. Don't be shy in asking for help! Most people I know who are involved with charitable work, enjoy helping and the mission - they just don't want to be in charge of everything. Just surround yourself with the worker bees like yourself, and you will SLAY this! Plus - think of all the activities you will be doing and the calories you will be burning...lol!! And too boot - I bet your husband and kids are really proud of you - I know I am! Way to go! Can't wait to hear about the outcome! Here are some big encouraging squishy hugs - now get out there and kick some butt! :)

Been there done that but in the end always find out I CAN pull it off! ]

In fact, last week we just had our "Camp Koinonia Birthday Party for Jesus" at our church.  I am the director of our "Camp Koininia" summer camp program (which is really an all summer long Wed night program for kids 3 yrs to 5th grade).....which I somehow was handed as a job and  had to invent/develop it.  That was 3 yrs ago.  After a successful summer,, our pastor asked me to have a Christmas party w/ the kids for a saturday afternoon in Dec so I did.  I've been doing it all for 3 yrs and this year I said "I can't do it since it is so soon after my surgery"....oddly enough, my husband is the children's ministry co-ordinator so he said it could still be done just w/o me, he'd do it.  However, I felt bad having him doing all the organizing (we have lunch -- a taco bar this year, crafts -- they made "stained glass" ornaments that lit up and  seek and find ornaments for the little kids, and games -- my husband runs these,  a lesson -- I usually teach but this time we did a video, and a bday party w/ games and cupcakes) so I did most of the work.  He didn't think I was even going but I did anyway and it went beautifully so even when I thought I couldn't, I did!  I bet you will be successful too.....and lots of people will appreciaate the foods you've served them.  

Also, can you take your kids w/ you?  They learn an incredible lesson while serving others! Even young kids enjoy serving and seeing underpriviledged people put their lives in perspective!  We usually drag our kids along when we serve and I think it is a good lesson for them to learn. 

All that said, I know it can be overwhelming.....can you tap into the other leader/organizer and ask for a little advice on whatever you have questions on?

You can do this! One great strategy, as @Trish13 mentioned, is delegating tasks to others. It's sometimes hard to let things out of your hands (if you're a control freak like me) but it's the only way to get a really big job done. That, and lists! 

Good for you for stepping up and taking charge in a big charity event's time of need. You will feel so good when you've pulled it off.