AustinJ

Going to Kansas City need suggestions!!!

Hey everyone, I will be 1 month post op on Dec. 8 and will be spending the weekend of the 9th and 10th in KC. I am taking my wife to the Trans Siberian Orchestra. My biggest concern is where can I safely eat. I am on the soft food phase and am allowed chicken, turkey, and eggs, ect. Does anyone know any good places to eat in KC that will fit in this phase of the diet?

Well you realize of course that you are going to be buying things off a menu, and tearing them apart to some extent to get to the good stuff. You might order a senior's breakfast plate that comes with an egg and some sausage, sub in some turkey sausage, and ditch the toast or muffin.  Stephtay has mentioned in the past that she scopes out the menus ahead of time of the places she's going to so knows what she's going to order.

You will probably be paying more for your meal that you want to considering you won't be eating all of it, but at least you can eat!!! At least you're not on liquids!  :-)

Can you share with the wife?  Find a place with an acceptable side dish?  I have sat through a meal wherevthere wasn't anything I wanted, gone back to our room and had a protein bar or shake.  I've ordered tacos and just eaten the insides..how about chili?  

Funny you should mention that, @AustinJ, my husband and I were considering going away for e weekend to Lancaster, which is famous for their smorgasbords (no thank you!).  So I also thought the same thing...what do I eat?  I could eat off his plate but that seems weird in a restaurant. (Take out would be fine to eat at e hotel and I wouldn't mind) but not in a restaurant, I would probably order something like a bowl of soup and then have a protein drink later. Breakfast would be easy...just get eggs.  If you went to a diner that you could order breakfast at any time that would work to get eggs there too. Otherwise, yogurt would work though they'd probably only have regular yogurt not Greek.  For dinner, what about broiled fish like tilapia? If not overcooked, that is soft. The place we were looking at has a small fridge in the room and a microwave.....so id take my stuff with me if we go and cut down on eating out and get take out for dh. (He's so supportive of me that he wouldn't mind working around my eating abilities!). 

Edited by CheeringCJ

@Michael_A, totally off subject, but I see you're soooo close to the 100s!!!  Can you believe it?!?!? That is amazing!  It will be nice to be spending Christmas (and forever) in Onderland!!!

I've been thinking a lot about this because one of the things my husband and I like to do on dates is go to restaurants. We're both foodies (which doesn't necessarily equal unhealthy food), so I'm looking forward to trying some of the leaner options on menus. I will probably opt for seafood a lot, especially at first when I'm doing soft foods. I'll probably have to ask for sauce on the side, too. We just had a place open up here that specifically serves small plates, so that's exciting! But I'll likely have to wait a few months before I can handle their stuff. 

So maybe a small plates/tapas restaurant would work? Here's a Yelp list of the top small plates/tapas places in KC: https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=tapasmallplates&find_loc=Kansas+City%2C+MO You'll probably want to check out the menus, though, before going. 

Thank you all for the Ideas, many I have already had, and many are new, but they are all great. I thought about just bringing my own food, but this is a thank you to my wife for putting up with me for the last several months. I want HER to feel catered to, not locked away in a hotel room. Any more ideas or places would be great. Thank  you all.

I’m 3 hours from Kansas City and have been numerous times throughout my life. Kansas City has awesome bbq restaurants such as Jack Stacks, and Joes. I’m not sure what you could find that will work for you. Maybe some chicken or I think Jack Stacks has some trout. Besides those I’m not sure. I’d google it up and check their menus.

Not that this helps you at all....but....I had a link come up on Facebook yesterday for a new restaurant in Brisbane Australia that has a "secret menu" for post WLS patients. My guess is that an owner of manager has had previous bariatric surgery. Sounded like a great idea and would be good to see the concept take off.

1 minute ago, Aussie H said:

Not that this helps you at all....but....I had a link come up on Facebook yesterday for a new restaurant in Brisbane Australia that has a "secret menu" for post WLS patients. My guess is that an owner of manager has had previous bariatric surgery. Sounded like a great idea and would be good to see the concept take off.

Ooooooh! If I open a restaurant (a long-held dream of mind), maybe I'll do that! 

1 minute ago, Cardamom77 said:

Ooooooh! If I open a restaurant (a long-held dream of mind), maybe I'll do that! 

Certainly better than trying to order off a kids menu which here usually consists of deep fried junk food.! It looked to just be a paper menu that was tucked inside the normal menu but labelled specifically for post-WLS customers. No-one would have to know that was the menu you were ordering from, and it wasn't so "secret" that you'd have to know to ask for it....it's just there. In Melbourne they have a weekly meal delivery service specifically for bariatric surgery patients as well. Very pricey, but at least they exist and clearly there is a market for that service.

Along the lines of what AusiieH said, I also would have no issue whatsoever with asking the waiter for just a chicken breast on the side, or what have you.

I would probably look at the appetizers first. If there was something there that you could have, the portion may be closer to meal size for you.

Appetizers, soups, or salads work well for me. I say salads even though you're not far out from surgery because if you can find them with meat on top, it'll likely be a whole lot less meat than an entree, and you don't have to eat the veggie portion of the salad, just the meat/cheese/eggs/whathaveyou. Salads are also easy to poke around with and play with and waste time with when you're trying to eat slowly. You can make a huge giant mess of it, and it looks like you've eaten a lot if the meat/cheese/eggs part is gone. Later, when you can eat raw veggies, the veggies themselves can be a nice part of the meal.

You'll undoubtedly be able to find something to fit the bill, and you'll be amazed how different it is to go to a restaurant and be mostly engaged with talking instead of mostly engaged with eating. It's nice!

You are so early out that if you ask for a separate plate to split what the wife has it would be fine.  Just say you aren't that hungry and could the waiter just bring a plate so you could share with the wife.  

Be careful with anything smothered in BBQ sauce, get it on the side or do a dry rub seasoning.  BBQ sauce is generally high in sugar and if you don't know if it makes you sick, being in public is not the place to find out...

Relax - it is going to be fine.  Before I go to any restaurant for dinner I check out their menu on line.  I find that I can easily eat at almost any restaurant - just ignore the main dish and desert portions of the menu, and pick an item or two from the appetizer, soup, salad or side order portions of the menu.  Some people order off a kids menu, although I have never done that.  Also, ignore the bread basket.  I was worried at first that ordering less than a full meal would be embarrassing, but I quickly learned that today a majority of people order food in an unorthodox manner (dressing on the side, take out the bacon, no gluten, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, low salt, etc.).

Your odds of being able to find food that you like that fit a post op diet are best at places that have soup and lots of small plates, and worst at steakhouses and pizza restaurants.  Be careful at Mexican, Thai, Indian, BBQ and Chinese restaurants, as the food can be very high in fat/calories.

Finally, I try not to worry if I do not hit my protein goals on short vacations.

Austin, I went to their show at the Sprint Center last December and it was awesome!!! Here are a couple of suggestions for food...

Cosentino's Market and Deli.  OK, not exactly a restaurant, but they have a huge selection of foods in their deli, including some that are made right in front of you while you wait.  There are a couple of seating areas as well so you have the option of either eating in or doing take out to your hotel.

Protein House.  Lots of healthy options here.  Also more casual, it's an order at the counter and food is brought out to you kind of place.  I ate there this summer and it was wonderful with lots of fresh healthy options.

Those two are closer to Sprint Center, but there are lots of good options around the Plaza area as well including:

McCormick & Schmick's.  Haven't eaten there for awhile but remember a salmon that was excellent. 

Gram & Dun.  Chicken Roulade.

The second two are pricier than the first 2 but are nicer, sit-down-and- order kind of places.  So, just depends on what you're looking for. 

But don't worry too much about food; it is not the main reason you are having this adventure.  Enjoy the show and the time with your wife; food no longer rules your life :)

Thank you all again!! Thinner Times has such a plethora of knowledge. I am so glad to be part of this community.

Have fun in KC this weekend. They have some nice Christmas light displays in the plaza and Crown Center.

1 hour ago, AustinJ said:

Thank you all again!! Thinner Times has such a plethora of knowledge. I am so glad to be part of this community.

Have a wonderful time!

My family is big on going out to eat - we do it a lot ....more that I want to admit. My husband works midnights and me day shift and we are passing ships in the evening. So that leads to a lot of convenience eating and I had to readjust for that. Here is my two cents, for what it is worth and some of my favorite places. Keep in mind, you can adjust to fit a local mom and pop or local "must try" restaurant. The GREAT thing about KC is you will be SURROUNDED by incredible BBQ places and that leads me to my first choice in eating out:

1) Mission BBQ -you don't have to necessarily eat there, but the philosophy works for KC BBQ places: Look for a place that does dry rubs or offers a non-sauce option for the meat. Stick with shredded Chicken or shredded pork (that is my go to because not something I would ever make typically at home and easy to eat). I would stay away from ribs, brisket, etc. I am frank with my surgery and I just say - I can't eat a normal portion, can I order from the kids menu? I have only had one place tell me no to date. For example - Mission BBQ offers a kids slider with choice of meat, so I get a kids puilled pork slider and then remove the bun and for the side I choose either a side salad, slaw, or a season veggie. It works well for me and then I might add a dash of sauce to keep the meat a little moist.

2) Longhorn Steakhouse - again a million steak places in KC, so adapt/adjust  - If I don't order the kids grilled chicken tenders, I will order a shrimp kabob with out any sauce - just spices and a salad. Also steak places usually have great chili if they offer it - a cup a chili is super filling and tasty, OR if I want to expand for taste I will again be honest with why I am asking and ask if I can order off the lunch menu - which is usually half portions. I am just not able to tolerate steak  yet...it is super rough.  Also - some steak places have rotisserie chicken and that is always a great option - just pull off the skin and again with a salad. Anytime salad is involved, I ask them to bring WITH my dinner, because I don't want to fill up on it.

3) Red Lobster - still will the grilled tilapia with out butter and spices only. look at the sides - I usually pick steamed broccoli, but occasionally I will save up for mashed pots since I can only eat a little bit of them. And again - lunch portion. I will say this is the place that wouldn't let me order off the kids menu, but I think it was the server making the rule vs the mgr. We don't eat there a lot and if I went back, I would ask the manager directly.

4) Chick-fil-a  - This the EASTIEST (besides Mission BBQ) for me to eat at. I either get a kids meal with 4 grilled chicken nuggets (especially when I was at your phase) but mostly now get the grilled chicken sandwich with no bun and lettuce wrapped. I just cut the lettuce, tomato, and chicken up and make a "salad" for WAY cheaper than their menu salads. I usually ask for the honey BBQ sauce for dressing or the light Italian dressing (this has the less calories or impact).

5) Mexican - This is a little harder in some aspects. This is where I enlist my husband or order off the lunch menu and thank goodness my husband is cool with telling them no chips for the table. My go to is chicken fajita's with very little or no oil that I split with my husband. But another good choice is a chicken burrito (watch what it's stuffed with) and then just peel back the tortilla and eat the inside. I stay away from rice. I usually for burrito that had mean, black or pinto beans, and maybe pico - I you find one that is topped with a cheese sauce or like that, just ask for it with out it.  A lunch combo is always a good bet with those places too....again you know what to eat and stay away from at this point.

At your stage, my go to a lot was the shredded pulled pork and the grilled chicken nuggets at CFA. Usually a lot of flavor and was easy to chew up really good and never upset my pouch. I am sure you are going to do great. If you can - pick a place before hand, and look at the menu. A lot of time I like to plug in different ideas into 'My FitnessPal' app and review the calories, carbs, and fat. Sometime you get lucky and they will have a nutrition list online - but that is usually the bigger chain places. Hope this helped....enjoy your trip - sounds like a great time. Glad you can get away and spend some one on one time with your wife! I know she will love it and is looking forward to showing off her arm candy! :D

Edited by Trish13

Thank you again to everyone. We are looking forward to having a great time.