Nana Trish

Going to see dad tomorrow

Recommended Posts

I spent several hours with my dad yesterday, so my mother and sister could visit my grandmother in the nursing home. It was her birthday.  We spent a lot of quality time together. Although it's so hard to see him like this, I thank God I have this time with him. I apologize for not remembering who suggested this to me, but I took a few pictures and a short recording of my dad while I was there yesterday. I had to do it on the sly because he hates having his pic taken. It was nice to see him eat a whole breakfast sandwich for lunch yesterday. My mother says he has been eating more lately. I'd like to think seeing me is part of the reason, but whatever it is, I'm so happy to see it. I'm taking a down day today. I have to get myself back on track. I haven't been eating or drinking nearly enough, and I've been missing some of my meds. Time to reset. I figured it would be a good time to check in with you guys, give an update, and get caught up on how everyone is doing ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cinwa said:

Trish, I'm glad to hear that your daughter is out of hospital and back on the right track with her meds.  That must be of great comfort to you and even more special with Christmas on our doorstep.  

It is a great comfort to have my daughter out of the hospital. Hubby has been bringing her over here daily, after he leaves work, and having her help him bake Christmas goodies. Trying to keep her from isolating herself while she is depressed. She loves to bake...that's her thing with her dad ❤️

We are trying to make this Christmas especially meaningful for the family, considering everything that is going on. Plus it helps that I don't have to take part in the baking this year...I usually do more eating than baking, so I'm steering clear of the kitchen. They love to make new inventions together, and this year it was kaluah bon bons...let's just say it's a good thing I'm NOT eating the sweets this year. Those suckers would already be gone if I was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

It is a great comfort to have my daughter out of the hospital. Hubby has been bringing her over here daily, after he leaves work, and having her help him bake Christmas goodies. Trying to keep her from isolating herself while she is depressed. She loves to bake...that's her thing with her dad ❤️

We are trying to make this Christmas especially meaningful for the family, considering everything that is going on. Plus it helps that I don't have to take part in the baking this year...I usually do more eating than baking, so I'm steering clear of the kitchen. They love to make new inventions together, and this year it was kaluah bon bons...let's just say it's a good thing I'm NOT eating the sweets this year. Those suckers would already be gone if I was.

Trish get them to make little pure egg white meringue dollop things with something like Splenda to sweeten them. All protein, few calories, fun to bake... and you'll be able to eat 'em. ;) Fun to spend your time beating the heck out of the egg whites. You can add various flavorings with few calories too. 

Glad to hear you are seeing both your Dad and your daughter. Life is rocky sometimes. << Empathy >>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Thanks for the love guys ❤️

@NerdyLady and @Chefman77...you both know first hand what it's like to be in this situation. Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts about it being the right thing to put my daughter in the hospital. She was released on Wednesday afternoon. She was sent home with the right meds, and appointments set up for therapy and a psychiatrist. I think we are on the right track, finally. She is not doing great, but better than she was. 

@Trish13, you know how comforting your big squishy hugs are to me...thank you!! ❤️

Thank you, @Gretta, @Jen581791, @BurgundyBoy, @TammyP, @CheeringCJ, @cinwa and @Readytobeme for being here ❤️ You guys are all the best, and I'm so lucky to be a part of such an amazing group. 

@Readytobeme, happy belated birthday!! I hope it was a great day ❤️

Happy to hear your daughter is out and on the right meds. Just have to get her to stay on her meds and attend the therapy sessions. That seems to be the biggest challenge with my daughter. She knows she needs them and how important the therapy is, but always seems to backslide. I pray that you have better luck getting your daughter to stay the course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

It is a great comfort to have my daughter out of the hospital. Hubby has been bringing her over here daily, after he leaves work, and having her help him bake Christmas goodies. Trying to keep her from isolating herself while she is depressed. She loves to bake...that's her thing with her dad ❤️

We are trying to make this Christmas especially meaningful for the family, considering everything that is going on. Plus it helps that I don't have to take part in the baking this year...I usually do more eating than baking, so I'm steering clear of the kitchen. They love to make new inventions together, and this year it was kaluah bon bons...let's just say it's a good thing I'm NOT eating the sweets this year. Those suckers would already be gone if I was.

As if the holidays and everything else weren't stressful enough...kaluah bon bons!!! Seriously though, It sounds like you're handling all of this so good all things considering. Continued prayers for you and your family Trish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nana Trish - I'm glad to hear your daughter has got such involved and concerned and caring parents. Keep being her rock (but remember to take care of yourself, too).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Trish get them to make little pure egg white meringue dollop things with something like Splenda to sweeten them. All protein, few calories, fun to bake... and you'll be able to eat 'em. ;) Fun to spend your time beating the heck out of the egg whites. You can add various flavorings with few calories too. 

Glad to hear you are seeing both your Dad and your daughter. Life is rocky sometimes. << Empathy >>

I’m doing surprisingly well not being tempted by the goodies...especially considering the circumstances. My husband has made the meringue things (sugar version) before, and they are good. If I get any sweets cravings, I’ll have to remember that, thanks :) Just smelling the bon bons was enough for me. All I could think of was how sick I would get if I even thought of trying one, lol. 

I’m glad I’m spending time with my daughter and dad too. It’s rocky, but that’s life...and I’m getting through it all. (((Hugs)))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chefman77 said:

Happy to hear your daughter is out and on the right meds. Just have to get her to stay on her meds and attend the therapy sessions. That seems to be the biggest challenge with my daughter. She knows she needs them and how important the therapy is, but always seems to backslide. I pray that you have better luck getting your daughter to stay the course. 

 

1 hour ago, Chefman77 said:

As if the holidays and everything else weren't stressful enough...kaluah bon bons!!! Seriously though, It sounds like you're handling all of this so good all things considering. Continued prayers for you and your family Trish.

Yes, @Chefman77, getting a bipolar person to stay on meds is the tough part. She does not want to go back to the hospital, so I think at least for now, she will. I’m remaining vigilant with my “pushy mom” personality and monitoring her as closely as possible. I’m sending prayers to you and your daughter ❤️ Thank you for yours!

Ahh, yes...the bon bons!! All I did was smell them :) They smelled delightful, but all I could see was me getting extremely sick if I ate one. That’s enough to turn anyone off of sweets! I’m trying to behave, I really am. My biggest problem right now, with food anyway, is that I’m actually not eating enough. Stress does that to me sometimes, but I’m working on it. I refuse to let any of this let me sabotage my plan! I’ve worked way too hard to go back now B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

@Nana Trish - I'm glad to hear your daughter has got such involved and concerned and caring parents. Keep being her rock (but remember to take care of yourself, too).

 

I will always be her rock ❤️ I don’t know what I would do if anything were to happen to her. So I won’t let anything happen to her. I’m working on taking care of myself...just gotta start eating again. I’m getting back on track today. Had my chicken and cheese for breakfast, lol.

How is your knee feeling? I hope you’re on the mend, @Jen581791 ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

I’m doing surprisingly well not being tempted by the goodies...especially considering the circumstances. My husband has made the meringue things (sugar version) before, and they are good. If I get any sweets cravings, I’ll have to remember that, thanks :) Just smelling the bon bons was enough for me. All I could think of was how sick I would get if I even thought of trying one, lol. 

I’m glad I’m spending time with my daughter and dad too. It’s rocky, but that’s life...and I’m getting through it all. (((Hugs)))

I thought of this because I was in San Francisco visiting my old best friend from college with my wife - and my friend taught me to make souffles while i was there. Never would have occurred to me but if you do it right, they could be on a WLS diet or better yet, a maintenance diet. I think she had me beat something like 18 eggs, the rascal. We had a basic cheese souffle (eggs, cheese, tiny amount of flour for the roux also made with butter) and then a chocolate souffle (which I didn't eat except for one bite, you know for scientific purposes). 

As I was beating all the eggs I kept thinking about meringues. I read somewhere the nutritional value of them when made with Splenda and they look pretty good. I may make some for the holidays so i have something to eat when everyone else is eating Poisonously Caloric Garbage. 

[As I write the words "except for one bit, you know for scientific purposes" I am reminded that weight regaining after surgery is one M&M at a time along with one excuse at each time point about how this won't matter. Anyway it was quite good. Your point about not being tempted is an important one!]. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

I thought of this because I was in San Francisco visiting my old best friend from college with my wife - and my friend taught me to make souffles while i was there. Never would have occurred to me but if you do it right, they could be on a WLS diet or better yet, a maintenance diet. I think she had me beat something like 18 eggs, the rascal. We had a basic cheese souffle (eggs, cheese, tiny amount of flour for the roux also made with butter) and then a chocolate souffle (which I didn't eat except for one bite, you know for scientific purposes). 

As I was beating all the eggs I kept thinking about meringues. I read somewhere the nutritional value of them when made with Splenda and they look pretty good. I may make some for the holidays so i have something to eat when everyone else is eating Poisonously Caloric Garbage. 

[As I write the words "except for one bit, you know for scientific purposes" I am reminded that weight regaining after surgery is one M&M at a time along with one excuse at each time point about how this won't matter. Anyway it was quite good. Your point about not being tempted is an important one!]. 

I’m thinking the soufflés would be best as a maintenance food for me, but sound very yummy :) 

I think I’d like the meringues made with Splenda...now, lol. I used to absolutely hate Splenda/artificial sweeteners, but I’ve been forced to get used to them since WLS, and now they don’t taste too bad. I don’t eat a lot of it, but it’s in my yogurt and Powerade zero. No poisonously caloric garbage for me!!  

The temptation really hasn’t been there yet, and I’m hoping it stays away :) You’re so right about the one m&m at a time thing. We have to be ever vigilant, but I don’t think a taste of something yummy on holidays will really cause regain.

Edited by Nana Trish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

My biggest problem right now, with food anyway, is that I’m actually not eating enough. Stress does that to me sometimes, but I’m working on it. I refuse to let any of this let me sabotage my plan! I’ve worked way too hard to go back now B)

You have to take care of you. Last thing you need is to have health problems from not getting the nutrients you need. ;) You have worked super hard and are doing awesome! There is no going back! I can't even imagine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so true about people with bipolar disorder not being good about staying on their meds. I have a sister and a niece that both suffer from it. Neither of them will take their meds consistently. My sister has a myriad of other issues and half the time she forgets to take them at all. I try hard to help them but have to be very careful on how I go about it.

Some of the posts in this thread remind me of my conversation with the WLS psychiatrist. We were talking about how I am a caretaker of everyone but me. She said that I would probably be surprised at how prevalent being the caretaker is in the weight loss surgery community. Makes perfect sense to me. Something that I know I have to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a nice time with your dad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chefman77 said:

You have to take care of you. Last thing you need is to have health problems from not getting the nutrients you need. ;) You have worked super hard and are doing awesome! There is no going back! I can't even imagine...

@Chefman77, I'm doing my very best to keep up with my program and get my nutrients in...there is just so little time and everyone needs a piece of me right now. If I can even maintain my current weight through all of this, I'll be happy. No way I'm going back to my former state now...that would be the end of me, I think. This was the worst possible time for everything to come crashing down, but when is it really a good time for this to happen? I thank you so much for your concern ❤️❤️❤️ I'll get through it, it's just not going to be pretty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tracyringo said:

Have a nice time with your dad.

Thank you, Tracy...I'm enjoying the time I'm spending with him as best I can. He drifts in and out as he is on dilauded, through a picc line, full time now. But I'm there, and he knows I love him...and that's the most important thing right now. I'm holding to my plan as tight as impossibly can, because I can NOT go back to where I started. I just can't. I've worked too hard and come too far to throw it all away. I'm Just trying to figure out how to balance my needs versus everyone's expectations of me. I'm meeting with the funeral home director on Thursday to make final arrangements, because obviously I'm the only one that can do this. And hence why my family chose to wait until now to bring me into the loop, so to speak. So if you're so inclined, please say a prayer for the strength to get through this with my sanity intact, and at the very least maintaining my weight. ❤️❤️❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Readytobeme said:

It is so true about people with bipolar disorder not being good about staying on their meds. I have a sister and a niece that both suffer from it. Neither of them will take their meds consistently. My sister has a myriad of other issues and half the time she forgets to take them at all. I try hard to help them but have to be very careful on how I go about it.

Some of the posts in this thread remind me of my conversation with the WLS psychiatrist. We were talking about how I am a caretaker of everyone but me. She said that I would probably be surprised at how prevalent being the caretaker is in the weight loss surgery community. Makes perfect sense to me. Something that I know I have to work on.

Yes, it's very true...when you're a young bipolar patient, you feel it's ok to go off meds once you feel better. It's sooo not. It's so hard to take care of yourself when so many people are counting on you...I'm out of my mind trying to do everything that everything else needs, and trying to take care if my needs too. So many of us, especially women, give until it hurts. We lose ourselves in the process. You can only do so much in 24 hours...the decisions are impossible at times. Take good care of yourself, and please try to takr better care of yourself than I am right now ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nana Trish said:

Yes, it's very true...when you're a young bipolar patient, you feel it's ok to go off meds once you feel better. It's sooo not. It's so hard to take care of yourself when so many people are counting on you...I'm out of my mind trying to do everything that everything else needs, and trying to take care if my needs too. So many of us, especially women, give until it hurts. We lose ourselves in the process. You can only do so much in 24 hours...the decisions are impossible at times. Take good care of yourself, and please try to takr better care of yourself than I am right now ❤️

 

The sister that I speak of is my oldest sister. She is almost 62 years old. My niece is 42 years old. So even though they should know better, they still keep trying to get off the meds. sigh

Being the caretaker of the family has been my life for so long that it is going to be quite a job to try and change it. I am dead serious about this surgery though. I have to start concentrating on giving it my all very soon. I will do it. :)

So thankful that I have all of you to support me along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nana Trish said:

Thank you, Tracy...I'm enjoying the time I'm spending with him as best I can. He drifts in and out as he is on dilauded, through a picc line, full time now. But I'm there, and he knows I love him...and that's the most important thing right now. I'm holding to my plan as tight as impossibly can, because I can NOT go back to where I started. I just can't. I've worked too hard and come too far to throw it all away. I'm Just trying to figure out how to balance my needs versus everyone's expectations of me. I'm meeting with the funeral home director on Thursday to make final arrangements, because obviously I'm the only one that can do this. And hence why my family chose to wait until now to bring me into the loop, so to speak. So if you're so inclined, please say a prayer for the strength to get through this with my sanity intact, and at the very least maintaining my weight. ❤️❤️❤️

Sometimes the most we can do is be present - doesn't sound like much, but it is.  I've had to close the eyes on way too many people I loved... and so often the most I could do was be there with them and by my presence they knew they were not alone. Not surprised as to your analysis of why you were looped in at this stage, given your competence. Prayers are with you and your family...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now