Nana Trish

Going to see dad tomorrow

Tomorrow is my father's 74th birthday, so it will be visit #2. I'm looking forward to seeing him again, but sad that this is his last birthday. He likes scratch off tickets, so I bought him a bunch of those, plus a tiny bag of Turtles chocolates. I don't know if he can eat them, but it's been kind of a running joke with us for years. I bought him a jumbo box of Turtles when I was pregnant for my youngest, but I ate it before his birthday, so I had to buy another to replace it. I told him what I had done, and he laughed so hard. I'm hoping, even if he can't eat them, it will at least make him smile. He's been busting my chops for years about it. Wish me luck, friends...I need all the strength I can muster ❤️

That is funny, Trish. I am betting that he will appreciate the turtles whether he can eat them or not. Just try and relax. Focus on enjoying the time with your dad.  Everything will fall into place. (((Hugs)))

Thanks, @Readytobeme, I'm sure he will appreciate the sentiment more than the chocolate :) Making him happy is the most important thing right now. Thanks for the love ❤️❤️❤️ (((Hugs))) right back at ya!!

I'm so glad you'll be seeing him. It's very hard when you know someone important to you is on limited time, but your being there is good for both of you, I think. 

Just now, Jen581791 said:

I'm so glad you'll be seeing him. It's very hard when you know someone important to you is on limited time, but your being there is good for both of you, I think. 

It is hard, but it has been good for both of us. It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be just picking out a birthday card for him. You can't get a card that says wishing you many more happy years, when you know there won't be any more birthdays. But I found one that was appropriate, and maybe he will win a little money from the scratch off tickets I bought for him :) 

3 minutes ago, Nana Trish said:

It is hard, but it has been good for both of us. It was a lot tougher than I thought it would be just picking out a birthday card for him. You can't get a card that says wishing you many more happy years, when you know there won't be any more birthdays. But I found one that was appropriate, and maybe he will win a little money from the scratch off tickets I bought for him :) 

Yes, it's very strange all the things we take for granted when our lives stretch ahead of us in unnumbered days - and strange when they don't. I was my Dad's Secret Santa the year he'd been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. What do you get a person who's dying of cancer for Christmas? Really awesome high-end fuzzy slippers were what I ended up with. I think anything that will give some immediate gratification, like scratch tickets, are good. Talking, trying to laugh, remembering better times. Those are good.

Wishing you a great visit!

Trish,

I’m glad that you are spending time with your father on his birthday. I think both of you will enjoy the visit much more than any present. After all, the gift of love is the best present one can give and receive. :wub:

I bet your dad is so proud of you and all the progress you have made. I can't imagine the position you're in. If I had any advice it would be to count your blessings, focus on the positives (can be hard to see in difficult times I know), and celebrate his life. We may not understand why we have to go through some of the trials and tribulations that we do, but it will all be revealed to us in time. I will pray for peace for you today. 

It must be bittersweet. (((HUGS))). 

Enjoy your visit and your time with him. 

Hard time for sure Trish but your visit will be the biggest gift you could give to your father (and yourself).

I'll be holding you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Enjoy your time together! Thinking and praying for you! 

16 hours ago, Nana Trish said:

Sometimes the most we can give is just to be there. Good luck with all of this.

Thank you all for the kind words, love and support. We had a good visit, despite the fact that he was in a lot more pain tonight. He got a kick out of the turtles, just like I thought he would :) He also won a good chunk of change from all of the lottery tickets everyone bought for him (he loves them so that’s what everyone gave him). He was actually too weak to finish scratching them all tonight, so he will finish them tomorrow. 

We had to delay our visit by several hours tonight because we had to take my daughter to the ER and then she was admitted to the behavioral health unit. It tore my heart out to leave her there, but she needs to be there. I know none of this is about me...but I can’t help my daughter, and I can’t help my father or grandmother. I’m frozen. Stuck. My husband is a mess, my son and oldest daughter are heartbroken, and I’m just numb. I can’t cry. My body just won’t let me process any of this. I don’t know why...

If I’m not on the forum a lot over the next week or so, it’s simply because there just isn’t any time to breathe. I love and appreciate you all more than you could know. I will be back when things slow down a little.

@Nana Trish From one bipolar to another, the best thing you did for your daughter was to take her to the ER. You and your husband are good parents for getting her the help she needs. Big fluffy hugs. xo

1 minute ago, NerdyLady said:

@Nana Trish From one bipolar to another, the best thing you did for your daughter was to take her to the ER. You and your husband are good parents for getting her the help she needs. Big fluffy hugs. xo

And from another. @Nana Trish I’ve been in your shoes with my daughter and to put it bluntly it just sucks. It Sounds like you’ve done the best thing. At least you know she’s safe and getting the help she needs. Keep your chin up Mom. I’ll be praying for you all.

Aw Trish. I'm so sorry about all the stress going on. You're doing all the right things, but it's hard when there's a limit to what you're able to do to fix stuff. Hugs and hugs and hugs.

@Nana Trish I’m so glad your visit went well and the gifts turned out to be just the thing. Some smiles and laughter are really necessary sometimes.

Feeling helpless is awful. I’m sorry you are going through this in your family right now. Your daughter is somewhere she can get help - that’s the right place to be. Take good care of yourself, and come back here for hugs when you need them, but not out of a sense of obligation. We know your hands are full at the moment :wub:

@Nana Trish Take care of yourself, process when you can, you know we are here for you... and here's hoping things go well for your daughter. 

Trish, sorry about all of your stress.... It's nearly more than one person can handle, but you're not one person, you have the love of your husband, your daughters, your son, and all of us here at TT! 

How is she doing? Are you allowed contact with her? How does that work? 

Know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Keep your strength up, keep hydrated, eat well (try to avoid stress eating) and when you need a smile, count on Harper for that ;)

Hugs and prayers for you sweetie <3  Take all the time you need, as we will be here when you return.

Sorry to hear all that is going on  - it a lot to process for anyone. Know your family and all of us here at TTF are all here for you to listen and give plenty of love and squishy hugs whenever you need it! Praying for all of you as you adjust to all that is going on right now. HUGS....BIG squishy ones!!! :)

Thanks for the love guys ❤️

@NerdyLady and @Chefman77...you both know first hand what it's like to be in this situation. Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts about it being the right thing to put my daughter in the hospital. She was released on Wednesday afternoon. She was sent home with the right meds, and appointments set up for therapy and a psychiatrist. I think we are on the right track, finally. She is not doing great, but better than she was. 

@Trish13, you know how comforting your big squishy hugs are to me...thank you!! ❤️

Thank you, @Gretta, @Jen581791, @BurgundyBoy, @TammyP, @CheeringCJ, @cinwa and @Readytobeme for being here ❤️ You guys are all the best, and I'm so lucky to be a part of such an amazing group. 

@Readytobeme, happy belated birthday!! I hope it was a great day ❤️

Edited by Nana Trish

Trish, I'm glad to hear that your daughter is out of hospital and back on the right track with her meds.  That must be of great comfort to you and even more special with Christmas on our doorstep.