bellamoma

new beginnings :)

so if you've been around a while you might remember that i've kind of been having a career crisis.  i've been a nurse for 16 years, was a social worker before that. although i'll never regret getting my RN, i really wanted to change careers.  ever since i was little, i loved doing hair. i have cut people's hair since i was 13.  i even ran into someone who used to date my BFF and he was like, you used to cut my hair (25 years ago!)

i love everything about beauty- skincare, makeup, hair, fashion.  i always have. The problem was i guess the stigma that comes along with the industry, which is thankfully changing.  "Beauty school" was for the girls who couldn't get into college.  then, of course, when i gained a bunch of weight, i didn't have the confidence to put myself out there as a stylist. 

Losing my weight hasn't changed me at all- it has allowed me to really be who i was under layers of fluff. i am much more confident now. I know that not only can i physically handle the job of the stylist, but i can emotionally handle it. I finally had enough confidence to say i don't care what people think, i'm going to do it and change people's minds.  they're going to see that you can be smart and savvy and make good money doing what you love.  i finally feel good enough to follow my heart. 

so this past tuesday, i started cosmetology school! i am super excited about it and hope to take you all along on my ride as I switch lanes at age 46! I'm determined to turn the industry on its ear. just you wait! :)

Oh! And if anyone in the field has advice for me, I totally welcome it!

here's me on my first day. we have to wear head to toe black. Bummer!

IMG_3400.JPG

congrats on the new you, starting to create another new you!!!  Whoo hoo!!!   What school are you going to?  When my daughter went to school for that, they had to wear uniforms, so you get off easy getting to choose what you want though your color options would have been better for the old you! ;)

Yeah for you!!!! We are here to support you. :)

Good for you. It takes courage to change things up and just go for your dreams.

Go girl!  How long will you be in school?

What a cool midlife career change! Good for you. I think you look chic in the all-black, btw. Not because it looks "slimming" or any of that nonsense, but just because it looks really pulled together. 

Just now, Jen581791 said:

What a cool midlife career change! Good for you. I think you look chic in the all-black, btw. Not because it looks "slimming" or any of that nonsense, but just because it looks really pulled together. 

agreed, Jen!  I think you look fab, Bella!

Hooray!! I’m so happy for you, @bellamoma! It takes courage to be free and follow your dreams. 

I recently had a similar epiphany. A few months ago, I left my doctoral program. I hated my program and losing weight has made me realize that life is too short to be miserable. I live in a region where dropping out of a doctoral program is a bit of a social stigma. I look up to you for not caring what other  people think about your career choice. I may have to drive down so you can do my hair! 

Bella, you are my hero! I so respect folks that take risks in order to fulfill their dreams. I myself am a risk taker. My husband is just the opposite. There have been several times over our 39 years together that if he had listened to me and taken a risk, we would be very comfortable right now.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck to you! I look forward to following your journey.

BTW- black? One would think in that profession they would want you to e colorful and even express yourself a little. Surprising.

Bella!!! I think it's great what you're doing! What good is life if you can't enjoy it and what you do? Plus...where would us ladies be without our hair dressers? I wish we lived closer...I'd be your first customer (once my hair grows back) ❤️❤️❤️

I wish you the best of luck!!

Awesome!!! Can't wait to learn a lot from you!

@bellamoma....that is very exciting- way to follow your dreams!!! You know I'm just in King of Prussia, so let me know when your ready for a client!!!! Sooo cool and incredibly happy for you! I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up :D!

Edited by Trish13

thanks you guys!!!!!! i love every supportive word here, believe me! nerdy, i was going to go back to school for nurse practitioner, and realized after i was having nightmares once i applied that maybe it was not the path for me.  i can imagine the stigma with withdrawal from a doctoral program. I have to say, i am so happy i finally just did this. it is a challenge- it's a full time program that is surprisingly labor intensive (like, really? yes! really!) and i have to balance my family with school. i sure am tired. but so happy i am doing this. i'll keep you all posted! :D