CheeringCJ

Calling all November Newbies.....

It was a crazy month for all of us and we've posted here and there, but I was hoping we could all post an update on this thread so we can all keep up w/ each other and our progresses/lack of progress/pains/victories etc.!  

I'll go first:

I had my surgery 26 days ago....I can hardly believe it!  

The beginning was pretty painful and though I never regretted it I was thinking how much harder it was than I thought it would be!  I still feel achey around my waist but I know it will pass.  It isn't particularly painful but I am achey. (More like a bruised or previously punched feeling). I don't take anything for it, but it is there and oddly enough it still hurts to sleep on my side. I am a side sleeper so it kills me.  I still do it because I do sleep better that way, but it hurts when I roll onto my side and that pulls all the muscles and fat/skin down to the bed and it aches for a few minutes (I sometimes prop a pillow under the side of my stomach and that helps).

As for energy, I can't seem to gather enough of it.  I can go out for a shopping outing them be exhausted all afternoon.  That has to pass since I'm heading back to work in 8 days!  (And I took off much longer than most!)  I forgot to add the B vitamins that my NUT ordered, so I just ordered some and am hoping that helps my energy.

As for exercise, I am embarrassed  to say I haven't done any.  I just don't have the energy.  I won't get cleared for exercise until my appt this Friday, but I could've been walking as that isn't overly strenuous  but I haven't.  I get a little hung up on how "behind" I am at times but I know I will pick up my energy levels and be able to begin in a little while.  

I started purees after 2 wks  and have only 1 more day left of them!  Although I didn't agree with pureed foods at first until I realized putting liquids of greek yogurt in the blender with the foods helped a lot!  I am sure I will be glad to have other foods, but honestly I have no idea what I want on Monday....I feel safe with pureed foods and a little scared of real foods.  I will get used to them in time, but for the moment, not overly excited about it! (especially since I have found tons of foods/flavors that I can have pureed! I might just get too lazy to chew anymore! ha!).  Although my diet has seemed restrictive all along (more so than most people's) on Monday, I on my forever foods....I just can't have breads/many carbs etc but everything else should be what I'm able to eat as a regular WLS patient.

I was frustrated b/c I hadn't lost weight since my surgery and yet i was eating exactly what I was supposed to.  But then I heard that my surgery buddies who when the same week as me were also stalled so I stopped worrying.  The last few days I have gone back to losing again (about a pound a day for 3 of the last 4 days) so that is refreshing!  I've lost 27# altogether.  My clothes aren't too big yet, just fitting better and I am not tugging on them all day to keep them from being too snug!

In a few days, I will hit my 1 month mark and do my measures and take pics of my 1 month post-op.  I am still pretty glad I did the surgery and excited about my prospects ahead!!!

I am anxious to hear how my other November surgery friends are doing!

Edited by CJireh

Hey - this is a great idea! I'm doing well. I'm 11 days out from surgery and I've been losing pretty consistently - I'm 12 lbs down from surgery, 26 down from when I walked into the clinic at the end of August. I've had minimal issues - just having a tiny bit of difficulty getting used to the full feeling and I had one weird day where I broke out in hives and got dehydrated, but I'm not even sure that's all that surgery related. Ha! I haven't even had any nausea, which honestly worried me a bit, since it's so common, but I've been reassured that I'm just lucky and that my luck could change when I start eating again. So I set aside my anti-nausea meds just in case. I haven't been on pain meds since a couple of days after surgery. I hate them, so those went as soon as I could cope with the pain. Don't anyone measure themselves against that, though. I have a freakishly high pain tolerance. I birthed a 10 lb 10 oz baby at home. Ha! 

I've been on liquids since surgery and will be advanced to soft foods on Thursday, which is my first post-op appointment. I'm SO EGGS-CITED (sorry not sorry) about scrambled eggs! Like, I'm not kidding. I freaking love eggs and I can't wait to get to eat them again! I also remember @BurgundyBoy mentioning miso soup in a post, so I totally would love to have that with some tofu. I bought a couple of cookbooks - Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook by Sarah Kent and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery (which is also kind of a manual, but has lots of great recipes, too). I already tried a Pumpkin Delight smoothie from the Fresh Start cookbook that was pretty dang good! Here's the (paraphrased) recipe: 

1 cup low-fat milk or unsweetened soy milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 scoop (1/4 cup) unflavored for vanilla protein powder (I'd recommend the vanilla, since this is barely sweetened - it depends on your taste)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract (you can leave it out if you use vanilla protein powder)

Blend all of that until smooth, drink whatever you can/want to and refrigerate the rest for up to 7 days. 

I'm still struggling with my sister's death, but I am glad I went ahead with surgery. It was a very difficult decision, but I think it was the right one. I am mostly having trouble balancing my time and self-care with needing to be there to do the in-the-trenches work of going through her things and settling her affairs - as well as being there for my mother and my other sister. It's been hard, but I also feel useful. I'll feel more useful when I can lift boxes after Thursday, though. This stuff is difficult, but I've also had no choice but to slow down from time to time and drink water and take care of myself, so the surgery has helped me in that way, too. 

Wow! You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for starting this thread, CJ! You are truly our ringleader. :)

I am 12 days out from surgery, and am feeling pretty great, actually. I lost 12 pounds on my two-week pre-op diet and have lost 15 pounds since surgery; I'm down 66 pounds from my highest weight. 

I was off painkillers pretty quickly, but more out of necessity than anything: a mix-up with the narcotic prescription, and the back-up tramadol made me nauseous. I haven't taken anything, not even Tylenol, since Tuesday (so just over one week out from surgery.) I'm also having the kind of achiness you talk about, CJ - just a general sense of soreness that doesn't really hurt, but feels weird. Like a giant bruise or something. But it's not enough to bother me. I had an allergic reaction to the steri-strips on my main incision, so they pulled those off at my 1-week checkup. Between the healing and the residual reaction, that thing is pretty itchy. Like cardamom, I also have been fortunate to not experience any nausea (other than the short-lived side effect of the tramadol). 

I had a really rough time with the full liquids stage: things got a little bit better after trying some new protein shake options, but on day 5 or so out I discovered how easily I could get down a plain glass of Fairlife milk, and that has been my sole liquid protein supplement since. I have to have a little more in volume to get the same protein stats as most shakes, but it goes down a breeze, so I really don't care. My taste buds have almost entirely rejected sweet flavors - I can handle a tiny bit of sugar-free almond Torani in my hot tea and iced tea, and tropical sugar free popsicles, but everything else is somewhere between unpleasant and revolting.

Speaking of sweet things being revolting - in the last two days my Celebrate multivitamins have started to taste so gross to me. Does anyone have recommendations for vitamins that aren't so sickly sweet? I know the Flintstones are frowned upon in some circles, but I'm considering picking those up just until I get past this, because they're at least smaller, if I remember correctly. I would love a mint-flavored chewable vitamin, but the only ones I see online are Centrum and the profile does not look great.  

Starting purees is when this all switched from being a daily struggle to feeling manageable. Probably in large part due to my taste buds really wanting savory food. I've had cottage cheese, refried beans, pureed spinach, pureed curried chicken salad, and the eggface ricotta bake, and it's all amazingly delicious. If all goes well at my dietitian appointment in 4 days, I'm due to advance to soft foods. I definitely feel my restriction all the time, but have had good luck in finding my limits before it's too late. I think part of the key, for me at least, is going very very slowly. Bonus to this is that I get to enjoy how good my food tastes for even longer. :) 

I posted another thread that I'm off my high blood pressure meds!! I weigh less now than I did when I first went on them, so between that and the nature of the food I'm eating, it makes sense. 

So excited to be on this adventure with all of you!

5 hours ago, CJireh said:

I have gone back to losing again

Me too, I think. Down a pound since two days ago.

16 hours ago, CJireh said:

It was a crazy month for all of us and we've posted here and there, but I was hoping we could all post an update on this thread so we can all keep up w/ each other and our progresses/lack of progress/pains/victories etc.!  

Hello November '17 groupies, and thank you CJ for starting this thread. I had surgery 25 days ago on Nov. 8th. I am down 27 lbs since surgery and 124 lbs from my highest in May of this year (now 380 lbs from 504 lbs).

I went home the next day after surgery and used pain meds. the first 2 nights home. I also have the occasional aching abdominal area, I assume it because I push myself a little too hard/far. Exercise wise I am back to walking 70 min's a day, and I am coaching youth wrestling. I really have to watch my fluid intake, if I don't get at least 112 oz I become dehydrated and get light headed when I stand up from a seated, squatting, or bent over position. I try to get in at least 128 oz of hydrating liquid every day.

I am currently on the soft protein stage of my diet plan. It's similar to the soft food phase but it is just protein based foods (eggs, cheese, chicken, turkey, eggface's ricotta bake  ect.). Tuesday Dec. 5th I am to be cleared for the soft food stage. I am really looking forward to some veggie's, but that darn rotisserie chicken salad, I have been wanting since surgery, will have to wait another month.

At this point I am consuming between 400 and 700 calories and 70 to 100 grams of protein per day. According to my Fitbit and Myfitnesspal I burn between 500 and 700 cal everyday exercising. I also, like Michael_A and CJireh, had a nice long stall. I spent 13 days within 1/2 lb. of 384 lbs, that stall seems to have broke 2 days ago. I am at 380lbs now.

I don't post as much as I did pre-surgery but I am still here ready and learning and listening to you all. I just don't chime in as much. This Forum has been an amazing help to me and will continue to be.

Congrats to you all - it sounds like you're doing really well. I'm glad you're all here to support each other as you go through the various stages (different though they may be for everyone). 

I'm only post-op day 4, and so far I've avoided the scale except for the day I came home to assess if I had water weight from surgery (surprisingly, I weighed the same as I did when I left for surgery). 

I'm strugglebussing with protein hard because everything - everything - tastes off to me. I stocked up on sugar free jellos and protein drinks, and about the only way I can tolerate anything is to darn near pinch my nose and gulp...except gulping is a no-no, and who wants to hold their nose long enough to sip all that down? :huh: I got about 50 grams yesterday, and if I can force the rest of this protein drink down, I should hit 60 today.

I kinda hoped I'd have aversions after surgery, and I guess karma is doing what its known for! 

Post op days 1&2, I was the lap queen at the hospital. Here at home, I've been making it a point to lap around the house every hour or two. I have a couple incisions that are causing the most pain, and otherwise just feel like I attempted to do 5000 sit ups :D I've been taking my pain medicine only at night. Not a huge fan of sleeping in a reclined position, so I've been getting sleep in spurts of 4 or 5 hours, with a couple naps during the day. Both of the last two days, my calories are around 350 for the day. 

My stomach is very chatty :unsure: my SO thinks its hilarious. 

So glad to keep up with all my November pals here. There were quite a few of us this month :D Good to see everyone doing so well!

3 hours ago, delilas said:

I'm strugglebussing with protein hard because everything - everything - tastes off to me. I stocked up on sugar free jellos and protein drinks, and about the only way I can tolerate anything is to darn near pinch my nose and gulp...except gulping is a no-no, and who wants to hold their nose long enough to sip all that down? :huh: I got about 50 grams yesterday, and if I can force the rest of this protein drink down, I should hit 60 today.

I feel you, girl. Protein was SUCH a battle for me. I'm drinking straight Fairlife milk as my liquid protein now, and that goes down easy. I hope you find something that works for you! 

8 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I feel you, girl. Protein was SUCH a battle for me. I'm drinking straight Fairlife milk as my liquid protein now, and that goes down easy. I hope you find something that works for you! 

I have been using fairlife to thin everything out with, and did drink some this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I'll need to hop on that bandwagon!

2 hours ago, delilas said:

I have been using fairlife to thin everything out with, and did drink some this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I'll need to hop on that bandwagon!

If it makes you feel any better, the taste aversion I have to protein supplements has not transferred to real food. Purees have been a lifesaver. Hang in there! 

@Cardamom77 thanks for the recipe....i  am going to try it w/ the cottage cheese in there too....interesting! I had made one for TG morning w/ just vanilla and canned pumpkin puree and cinnamon and it was kind of tasty but i  am just getting bored of shakes.....I add CC to my ricotta bake and my eggs and my refried beans, so I will try adding it to my shake!

@kristinwitha_k, I am getting intolerant of my vitamins too.  They are huge chewables (Centrum Silver) and they are making me nauseated (most multivits do) so I try to take them w/ food but when I 've taken one in the am w/ my shake, I was feeling like throwing up for the next half hour.  I didn't but was just so sick feeling.  My NUT does recommend the Flintstone vitamins, so I might pick them up next time I am out but I really spend a lot on things that I don't end up using.  But anyway, I am with you with these dang vitamins...I need something else!

@Michael_A so glad your weight loss has started back up, that stall was frustrating until I saw you two guys that had the surgery the same week as me were stuck too and then i relaxed and realized it must just be normal!

@AustinJ glad you're back to losing too!  you sure do keep active...go Austin!  So how did the soft  protein food phase start go?  What did you enjoy eating since yesterday?

@delilas,others have said they struggled with things tasting off after surgery too.  I was afraid that would happen w/ me but it hasn't so far.  I do have tons of SF jello in my fridge still but I just don't "want" it....not bc of the taste, just not interested....guess I should toss them and free up the space and containers!  How are you feeling now that you are  a week out?  Able to sleep better yet?  (it took me a bit too)  BTW, my son and I were chatting in the car today and he said "Mom, is that your STOMACH making all of that noise?!?!"....and when I went to answer him, the gurgles came right out my mouth...LOL!  I told my husband I can't eat in public until I get the sounds under control (sometimes I burp a lot too)     

It is amazing though we've all gone through the same things, we have such different experiences and such different ways we've been told to eat.  I had the 2 wk liquid then 2 wk pureed then I am on to regular foods, which freaks me out a little.  So far, in the regular foods, I have had 2 chicken legs (one last night for dinner, one tonight) , they were small, moist and just right but i haven't gotten any more adventurous than that!9

@Boho Rosy, @Lynn74@Lauraw96 , @Mike2step  and any other November Newbies.....how about updates from you guys too?  (I know you've posted other places here, but I think it would be interesting once a month for all of us to post on one thread how our month has been, ups, downs and plateaus.....it's a good way of connecting and seeing we all have struggles and victories and what might work with someone else might also help you or seeing others having the same issues might help us worry less!)

12 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

@AustinJ glad you're back to losing too!  you sure do keep active...go Austin!  So how did the soft  protein food phase start go?  What did you enjoy eating since yesterday?

Well, when I met with the surgeon on Tuesday I was given a choice, advance to the full soft food stage or be able to sweat. I chose to be able to sweat so I'm still on soft protein for at least another week. The major concern the weight loss team has for me is dehydration because of my activity level I am at higher risk than most. Up until Tuesday I was on a restriction that if I started to sweat that I had to stop exercising. Now that I can sweat again, they want me getting 128 oz of hydrating fluid in everyday. They even told me I may have to not eat a meal and replace it with liquid such as a protein shake. They also want me hitting a higher protein goal with the minimum at 80grams per day instead of 60grams.

I have been getting in 96-112 oz of fluid and 80+ grams of protein, so I really just need to get in 2 more cups of fluid and I should be good to go.

12 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

@Boho Rosy, @Lynn74@Lauraw96 , @Mike2step  and any other November Newbies.....how about updates from you guys too?  

Hi! Happy to share an update. Things have been going well and I'm feeling great. I just entered week 4 and will be eating pureed foods for one more week until I switch to soft foods. I had my surgery at Johns Hopkins (which is also where I work). Here is their pre and post-op nutritional guide in case anyone is curious:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/johns_hopkins_bayview/_docs/medical_services/bariatrics/nutrition-guidelines-for-weight-loss-surgery.pdf

I've been back at work since Monday. Day 1 was rough from an energy standpoint, but since then, I feel like myself again. I work in the Heart and Vascular Institute (I'm a fundraiser) and have been very open with the docs that I work with about what I've been up to. It's been fun to have them stop by my office and offer support and tell me that they're impressed with how quickly I'm back on my feet. Working in this gigantic medical center is also great because it's not hard to get some walking in. Just from my car to my office is about a 10 minute walk each way.

I've been good about getting my protein in. I usually drink 1 - 2 protein supplements a day and then eat pureed turkey, beans, eggs, or soups to get me the rest of the way there. I also try to have a little pureed sauteed spinach and/or sweet potato because I like to get as much nutrition from food as possible. I love to make Pacific creamy tomato soup and add a couple of tablespoons of yogurt to bump up the protein. Today I made tuna salad with some white beans to bump up the fiber. I am less carb-focused than many of the folks on here and more calorie focused. As a girl who has *literally* been on a diet since I was 9, I have tried everything and know that I am one of those people whose body doesn't respond so well to keto or Atkins. The only thing that works for me is keeping calories low (and exercise of course).

So far, the VSG has been a great tool for me and I am shedding weight quickly. Like most people on here, I was losing a pound a day at first and had a brief stall when I entered week three. I was glad to be mentally prepared for that thanks to all of the great advice on here. It lasted for a few days and then the weight loss started up again, but now it's more like half a pound a day. My happiest moment was when I went from the 3's to the 2's. I haven't shared too much about my past weight struggles on here, but I was a binge eater as a kid and a teen. As an adult, I ate relatively healthfully and was fairly active, but from years of binge eating and yo-yo dieting, my metabolism was shot and my body would not let go of weight no matter what I tried.  Fulfilling the pre-op weight loss requirement was really, really hard for me, and it didn't happen for me until I dropped my calories down to about 1000. Without the VSG, that was TOUGH! To see the scale going down now feels like a dream come true.

I've had my share of struggles post-op too. Like everyone who has VSG, the area of my incision where my stomach was removed was pretty ouch-y for a while. That has finally subsided and I'm so happy to not have to laugh or sneeze in fear anymore, lol. I absolutely hate the two gigantic vitamins that I have to take every day, and have to spend the 30 minutes after I swallow them willing myself not to vomit. My surgeon also sends his patients home with Lovenox injections to prevent blood clots, so I have the pleasure of giving myself two shots a day in my stomach. One more week and that part ends, which I am very much looking forward to.

All in all, I'm thrilled that I had the surgery and with the results I'm having so far. The support from TT has been unbelievable and even when I don't always contribute, I'm reading and cheering everyone on. You are some incredibly special people, and although I've never met you in person, you all mean a lot to me. 

One last thing in case anyone pre-op reads this: the best thing I did to prepare myself for this process was to work with a psychologist who specializes in obesity. I saw her regularly for almost two years before I had this surgery and she helped me sort out A LOT of stuff. She never tried to steer me toward the surgery - she let me arrive at that conclusion on my own, but because of the work we did together, I feel very prepared to tackle the challenges that I will face on this journey.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's updates! :) 

13 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

@delilas,others have said they struggled with things tasting off after surgery too.  I was afraid that would happen w/ me but it hasn't so far.  I do have tons of SF jello in my fridge still but I just don't "want" it....not bc of the taste, just not interested....guess I should toss them and free up the space and containers!  How are you feeling now that you are  a week out?  Able to sleep better yet?  (it took me a bit too)  BTW, my son and I were chatting in the car today and he said "Mom, is that your STOMACH making all of that noise?!?!"....and when I went to answer him, the gurgles came right out my mouth...LOL!  I told my husband I can't eat in public until I get the sounds under control (sometimes I burp a lot too)     

It is amazing though we've all gone through the same things, we have such different experiences and such different ways we've been told to eat.  I had the 2 wk liquid then 2 wk pureed then I am on to regular foods, which freaks me out a little.  So far, in the regular foods, I have had 2 chicken legs (one last night for dinner, one tonight) , they were small, moist and just right but i haven't gotten any more adventurous than that!9

The bad taste has lessened, thankfully, but the pain after swallowing has not. I pushed through the pain for a couple days and made it to my goals for water and protein, but Im almost gun shy of the pain now and limiting intake because of it.  :(

I contacted the office yesterday, but they didnt get back to me, so I called this morning. They're sending in a GI cocktail (despite my insistence that its not heartburn), and scheduling me for another scope. They had chalked the pain up to swelling near my esophagus, but I'm post op day 7 now, and it hasn't lessened at all. If I can't get 64 ounces in today, Im going in to the clinic tomorrow for a bag of IV fluids to hopefully get me through the weekend without needing to be hospitalized. 

It sounds worse than it is, truthfully. I'm feeling pretty good and have been hanging around the house, doing minor cleaning and laps to keep moving, working on crocheting a blanket for a friend for christmas. 

It is interesting how differently programs work for food. I have to do thick liquids/thinned purees until Tuesday, and if all was well, I'd be cleared for normal purees and one attempt at soft foods (like a really soft chicken breast, or a hot dog, etc) each day. They dont progress us to fully regular foods until 2 months post-op from what I've heard. I dont mind the purees that much so far, although I want something crunchy like mad. Not even chips or something 'bad', give this girl some celery! :D 

56 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi! Happy to share an update. Things have been going well and I'm feeling great. I just entered week 4 and will be eating pureed foods for one more week until I switch to soft foods. I had my surgery at Johns Hopkins (which is also where I work). Here is their pre and post-op nutritional guide in case anyone is curious:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/johns_hopkins_bayview/_docs/medical_services/bariatrics/nutrition-guidelines-for-weight-loss-surgery.pdf

I've been back at work since Monday. Day 1 was rough from an energy standpoint, but since then, I feel like myself again. I work in the Heart and Vascular Institute (I'm a fundraiser) and have been very open with the docs that I work with about what I've been up to. It's been fun to have them stop by my office and offer support and tell me that they're impressed with how quickly I'm back on my feet. Working in this gigantic medical center is also great because it's not hard to get some walking in. Just from my car to my office is about a 10 minute walk each way.

I've been good about getting my protein in. I usually drink 1 - 2 protein supplements a day and then eat pureed turkey, beans, eggs, or soups to get me the rest of the way there. I also try to have a little pureed sauteed spinach and/or sweet potato because I like to get as much nutrition from food as possible. I love to make Pacific creamy tomato soup and add a couple of tablespoons of yogurt to bump up the protein. Today I made tuna salad with some white beans to bump up the fiber. I am less carb-focused than many of the folks on here and more calorie focused. As a girl who has *literally* been on a diet since I was 9, I have tried everything and know that I am one of those people whose body doesn't respond so well to keto or Atkins. The only thing that works for me is keeping calories low (and exercise of course).

So far, the VSG has been a great tool for me and I am shedding weight quickly. Like most people on here, I was losing a pound a day at first and had a brief stall when I entered week three. I was glad to be mentally prepared for that thanks to all of the great advice on here. It lasted for a few days and then the weight loss started up again, but now it's more like half a pound a day. My happiest moment was when I went from the 3's to the 2's. I haven't shared too much about my past weight struggles on here, but I was a binge eater as a kid and a teen. As an adult, I ate relatively healthfully and was fairly active, but from years of binge eating and yo-yo dieting, my metabolism was shot and my body would not let go of weight no matter what I tried.  Fulfilling the pre-op weight loss requirement was really, really hard for me, and it didn't happen for me until I dropped my calories down to about 1000. Without the VSG, that was TOUGH! To see the scale going down now feels like a dream come true.

I've had my share of struggles post-op too. Like everyone who has VSG, the area of my incision where my stomach was removed was pretty ouch-y for a while. That has finally subsided and I'm so happy to not have to laugh or sneeze in fear anymore, lol. I absolutely hate the two gigantic vitamins that I have to take every day, and have to spend the 30 minutes after I swallow them willing myself not to vomit. My surgeon also sends his patients home with Lovenox injections to prevent blood clots, so I have the pleasure of giving myself two shots a day in my stomach. One more week and that part ends, which I am very much looking forward to.

All in all, I'm thrilled that I had the surgery and with the results I'm having so far. The support from TT has been unbelievable and even when I don't always contribute, I'm reading and cheering everyone on. You are some incredibly special people, and although I've never met you in person, you all mean a lot to me. 

One last thing in case anyone pre-op reads this: the best thing I did to prepare myself for this process was to work with a psychologist who specializes in obesity. I saw her regularly for almost two years before I had this surgery and she helped me sort out A LOT of stuff. She never tried to steer me toward the surgery - she let me arrive at that conclusion on my own, but because of the work we did together, I feel very prepared to tackle the challenges that I will face on this journey.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's updates! :) 

@Boho Rosy You work at Johns Hopkins and you do fundraising? Swoon! That’s awesome work! My specialities are non-profit funding and management, so your post made me beam. :D

Thank you for positing your nutritional guide. I’m at goal but I still need a ton of assistance. It’s never to late to learn something new. 

Congrats on all your hard work! 

2 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Boho Rosy You work at Johns Hopkins and you do fundraising? Swoon! That’s awesome work! My specialities are non-profit funding and management, so your post made me beam. :D

Thank you for positing your nutritional guide. I’m at goal but I still need a ton of assistance. It’s never to late to learn something new. 

Congrats on all your hard work! 

I do indeed! I am a major gifts officer here. It's a wonderful place to work!

Thanks for the encouragement. It is SO appreciated. :)

2 hours ago, delilas said:

Not even chips or something 'bad', give this girl some celery! :D 

I hear you!! I am dying for a kale salad. Ha!

3 hours ago, delilas said:

Not even chips or something 'bad', give this girl some celery! :D 

I hear you....I pureed eggs salad but it lacked the crunch celery gives... Then I couldn't stop wanting it! I haven't had tuna bc I want celery with it.

It's been 3 weeks since I had my surgery on November 13th. It has been really uneventful! I did a week of clear liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids, and am now onto pureed food. I haven't had any problems of any kind so far--except for three weeks of the worst gas. What's weird is I only had the gas at night...at like 3 in the morning. Then it stopped. I think the culprit was the sorbitol in sugar-free popsicles. I'm planning to make my own popsicles with Stevia & Koolaid next time I go to the store. My favorite protein shakes are Premier Protein--vanilla, chocolate, banana, caramel, and strawberries & cream. 

I'm super paranoid about stretching my stomach out...I pureed cannellini beans with some low sodium chicken broth and garlic powder. I love the result. Tastes like mashed potatoes to me. I put a little bit of Trader Joe's creamy portabello mushroom soup on top & that was delicious. I only eat 2 ounces at a time...I'm super paranoid about stretching out my stomach. I have this vision of my doctor telling me that I've accidentally reversed the sleeve. I also ate some pureed baby food pears...just because I was craving pears. Again two ounces. 

My energy has been great--I'm at work, no problems. Yesterday I had so much energy when I came home that I was started dancing to R.E.M. It's been a long time since I felt I could dance! I'm happy with my weight loss so far...I'm hoping that I'm going to lose weight from my nose...does that happen? I've got this family honker...

Couldn't be happier about my decision!

19 minutes ago, GigiGogo said:

I'm super paranoid about stretching my stomach out...I pureed cannellini beans with some low sodium chicken broth and garlic powder. I love the result. Tastes like mashed potatoes to me. I put a little bit of Trader Joe's creamy portabello mushroom soup on top & that was delicious. I only eat 2 ounces at a time...I'm super paranoid about stretching out my stomach. I have this vision of my doctor telling me that I've accidentally reversed the sleeve. I also ate some pureed baby food pears...just because I was craving pears. Again two ounces. 

No, you're not going to stretch your baby sleeve :)

It will relax quite a bit as you heal and as time passes, but the sleeve is not formed from the stretchy part of the stomach so there is not a lot of stretching you can do.  You can, however, learn to eat around your restriction.  You are doing a great job following the rules and sticking to measured amounts.  The farther out you get, the more tempting it is to relax the rules and to have "just a nibble" of this and that, which is often the cause of regain. 

I love it that you're having happy feet!  Congrats and keep dancing!

Virtual high-five to @Boho Rosy and @NerdyLady - I also work in fundraising!! I'm an IT project manager in advancement services at Northwestern University. Small world. :) 

I was cleared for soft food yesterday, and I ate a scrambled egg for breakfast, and some kabocha squash and half a turkey burger patty for dinner. It all looked so hilariously tiny sitting there on one of my toddler-sized plates from Target, but I did indeed have to leave a couple bites of dinner on my plate. I have yet to eat too much, thankfully - I think the sensation of fullness I have is when I feel like the bite doesn't go all the way down. We'll see if that continues to be my signal. I have a hankering for some tuna salad, so I think that's on tap for tomorrow. 

Agreed times a million that I'd love some raw veggies. A radish would hit the spot. Sigh.

@CheeringCJ, I did end up getting some Flintstones and they're working really well for now. I eventually want to go back to my Celebrate, since they have a better nutrient profile, but for right now I'm happy to be getting the Flintstones down. 

On 12/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, kristinwitha_k said:

If it makes you feel any better, the taste aversion I have to protein supplements has not transferred to real food. Purees have been a lifesaver. Hang in there! 

That's what I'm doing, too - something about the consistency of protein shakes, Premier or any other kind, just doesn't sit well in my pouch.  I picked up a few bottles of Fairlife and a big bottle of Starbucks unsweetened blonde roast cold coffee, and I mix them about half and half once a day.  IT TASTES DIVINE.  Fairlife itself has a hint of sweetness and the blonde roast coffee doesn't have the usual Starbucks bitterness, so they go together great. 

<end advertisment!>

2 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Virtual high-five to @Boho Rosy and @NerdyLady - I also work in fundraising!! I'm an IT project manager in advancement services at Northwestern University. Small world. :)

Ha! Small world, indeed.