Michael_A

Started bagging up my 3X's today

@BurgundyBoy, I have held on to some of my 3x warm fuzzy sweatpants for just this reason! New England, winter and WLS don’t mix well, I am super cold ALL THE TIME. I basically live next to the space heater in my home office. 

I also keep them because they have elastic waists - they still stay up when I pull them on, even though I could now fit a six year old in each leg with me and still have room for comfort!! :D 

1 hour ago, Kio said:

@BurgundyBoy, I have held on to some of my 3x warm fuzzy sweatpants for just this reason! New England, winter and WLS don’t mix well, I am super cold ALL THE TIME. I basically live next to the space heater in my home office. 

I also keep them because they have elastic waists - they still stay up when I pull them on, even though I could now fit a six year old in each leg with me and still have room for comfort!! :D 

Having just come through winter in the southern hemisphere, I wish you luck trying to keep warm in baggy clothes. They just didn't work for me. Woollen thermals is the only way to go IMO as they'll trap the warmth next to skin. I also found the total lack of woollen knits a problem as the cheap acrylics on offer just have no warmth. I recently bought a second hand knitting machine, so once I actually sit down and work out how to use it, I'll be knitting up some thick pure wool jumpers in readiness for next winter.

The up side of this feeling the cold is that I seem to not be feeling the heat now summer has started. I do have to be very careful about dehydrating though as I'm not getting the body warnings that it is very hot and I need to be drinking more.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:48 PM, Michael_A said:

I got a garbage bag and bagged up a lot of my 3X sized button up shirts and dress shirts. I wear an XL now, but probably not for much longer.  There is a LOT more that has to be tossed. For the last many years, I wore the exact same thing almost daily- a light gray Tshirt. I literally have only a few things that I wore, but many of them. A load of laundry for me consisted of at 10 or 12 of the identical gray Tshirts. I'm probably going to toss about 20 of those Tshirts by the time I get done mucking the closet out.

It's probably a strange thing to hear a guy say, but I'm going to enjoy occasionally shopping for new clothes. The mental process is so... different than before. I'm only going to buy a few things here and there until I get to goal.

In May I measured myself across my belly at the largest part and was at 56". Today I'm at 47".

@Michael_A I’m pleased for you! You have worked your tush off and seeing the rewards. The fact that you had the strength to lose so much weight pre op is outstanding. 

Glad to see you ditching your grey T-shirts. I did the same with my collection of a zillion black T-shirts. :)

On 12/2/2017 at 5:51 PM, cinwa said:

I only kept one pair of jeans and one top.  The difference between my big girl jeans and the ones I wear now leave me with my jaw hitting the floor:

gallery_1935_606_18913.jpg

:o:o:o

On 12/2/2017 at 7:05 PM, CheeringCJ said:

WOW.....9" off of your midsection already?  AMAZING...that is over an inch per month!!!  And from 3X to XL?  Incredible! I am not buying new clothes yet either.  In fact I am just getting comfortable in my old clothes right now (27# down...I started losing again a few days ago!) but that isn't enough to get new clothes, but it is enough that I don't have to tug at my shirt all day because it is too tight on my middle!!!  I have a lot of clothes to go down to, but at the same time, they are probably pretty bad out of date, but if i DO have to buy things, they will be only clearance or thrift store finds...even still, not yet. I am just new at this weight loss thing!

@CheeringCJ The tugging at the shirt all day!!! That is something I will never miss!

On 12/3/2017 at 2:06 AM, Chefman77 said:

You guys inspire me so much! I have purged my closet twice and I'm about in need of another trip to the store. I used to absolutely hate clothes shopping. I'd get hot and frustrated and just want to be done. It is so weird to me still not having to go to the Big Boy section of stores to see if there was anything halfway fashionable that was long enough to cover my gut. Sometimes it still feels like a dream and I'm afraid I'll wake up. 

Atta-boy @BurgundyBoy!

@Chefman77 I once accompanied my BIL to the big and tall store. It was just as depressing as the big gals store. 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:41 AM, Aussie H said:

Wish I'd kept a pair from my biggest days after seeing this. I only have some from 12 months ago so the photo is nowhere near as impressive. Doesn't look like 100lbs+ difference even though it is.

FB_IMG_1512283066009.thumb.jpg.9f9e538834026c293afd6104758e1e94.jpg

@Aussie H What are you talking about? That looks like a huge difference! Way to go, my WLS twin. :)

On 12/3/2017 at 10:57 AM, Kio said:

That is such awesome progress, Michael - great job!  And hey, enjoy the shopping - men are allowed to enjoy looking good, too!

I remember a Christmas celebration I went to about five years ago for work.  It was at the home of one of our C-level execs, just a gorgeous place, and there were a lot of managers and directors there as well as me (a lowly exec assistant to the C-level exec at that time) and a couple of other assistants.  I was probably at my very highest weight at the time; I didn't weigh myself back then, but I would imagine it was around 360-370.  One of the managers from HR came up to me and said, "Kio!  I almost didn't recognize you!"  I thought it was because I was, for once, wearing make-up.  But she followed up with, "You don't usually wear colors!"

It's true - so much of my closet is full of black, grey, and dark brown solids.  I think it's our way of hiding ourselves, not drawing attention.  I don't know if it's the same way for men, but as a woman I had to HUNT for those dark colors!  Shopping in women's plus size stores and online is like walking through an eye-blasting acid trip.  Garish prints are the norm. I've adopted New England in my heart now and I'll never be a bright flower - but I've been pulling SOME bright colors, and some pretty pastels into my closet lately.  And my blacks and greys have been replaced with jewel tones.  Mostly in DRESSES, which were a total no-go for me before!!  The new trend in A-line skater dresses is a friend to people in rapid weight loss; I can wear them for a looong time before they start looking too big.  Sadly, I suspect this is a path not open to you.  ;) 

You should embrace your vanity for a while - it may help you get used to being the new you!  And god knows you've earned it - this is DEFINITELY not the easy way out.   

I laughed hard when you said you'll never be a bright flower. When my mom came out from California, she was shocked that everyone was wearing such dark colors. I told her that grey is our lively and festive color. :blink: I totally get you on this one. My puffer jacket is bright green and I stick out like a sore thumb. 

On 12/3/2017 at 11:41 AM, Kio said:

It's basically a dress that doesn't cinch in too closely at the waist, with a hem that hits just above the knees.  It covers a multitude of past sins.  ;)  The ones I buy don't even have seams at the waist - minimally fitted, but no obvious divider.  So I can get away with wearing it for quite a few sizes until it's too bag-like to wear in public! 

Here's one I just bought that I'm really liking - I'm 5'3" and I bought it in tall, so on me the hem hits exactly at my knees.

Capture.PNG.2525adf4de4e3570c8f0bb431d58ae18.PNG

@Kio Where did you get that skater dress? I love this style. I used to wear them as maternity tops. Mine were meant to be worn as dresses but obese + pregnant me= top. 

29 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Kio Where did you get that skater dress? I love this style. I used to wear them as maternity tops. Mine were meant to be worn as dresses but obese + pregnant me= top. 

I believe this one's from Old Navy!  I found it when shopping with the gift card my awesome team got for me... =D  You can also search either "skater dress" or "fit and flare dress" on amazon or the net and find a billion of them... they seem to be "in" this year.  You can wear them with black fleece tights and boots in winter, too, and it's still a pretty stylish look.  Many of them are a little short for my tastes, but then, I'm also a little short - so if I buy in "tall" I get about the level of modesty I require for being seen in public.  :) 

34 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I laughed hard when you said you'll never be a bright flower. When my mom came out from California, she was shocked that everyone was wearing such dark colors. I told her that grey is our lively and festive color. :blink: I totally get you on this one. My puffer jacket is bright green and I stick out like a sore thumb. 

When I first got here from Chicago, I seriously thought the entire state was in mourning or something.  But now it's just normal - black is the Massachusetts state color!  MY puffer jacket is sort of a one-shade-off-from-black purple, and I feel totally daring in it ;) 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:30 PM, Jen581791 said:

That is a solid choice to help you as you progress down through sizes in the near future! I had some dresses like that (a little longer, but same idea), and they were life savers. They got to the point where the sleeves and where the sleeves attached were SOOOOO too big that they didn't work anymore, but they were good for a long part of the "journey." 

Strategic clothing choices, in the absence of a large trust-fund to cover complete wardrobe overhauls, are actually weirdly important in this time in our lives. It's hard to feel good about your beautiful new you if that you is drowning in a sea of ill-fitting cloth. Every time I buy a new round of clothes, I feel 100% better about myself. And then those get too big, too :( What a very nice problem to have, right???? Sure beats having to buy bigger new clothes because I'm gaining weight!

I've been bagging and dropping off my too-big clothes throughout the last few months' progress. Partly because I just don't want them around cluttering up the place, and partly because I fear hanging on to larger sizes "just in case" - because that "just in case" is just not going to happen, and I don't want to tempt fate! ;) Also, since I've made a big intercontinental move during this time, I just couldn't hang on to things. Heck, there's stuff that I brought from America that I didn't wear for the first couple of months here and I've had to give it away without even wearing it once. So glad I brought those things with me :unsure: 

@Jen581791 Like you, I am ditching it all. I cannot believe I have so many clothes, all of them ill fitting. It seems that every day I find a new article of black, navy or grey clothing to drop off at Goodwill. 

I am super duper paranoid that I’ll gain the weight back and that is motivating me to make sure I don’t have fallback clothing. There was something psychologically jarring about buying pants with size 4 sewn inside. In the moment, I wasn’t thrilled but rather a little scared. I’ve pushed past the fear* and am ditching everything size XL and above. I’m eapecially ditching the size L clothing I had no business wearing. 

*ok, maybe I haven’t completely pushed back the fear but I’m trying my best!

5AAB3779-900F-44E5-8522-E282A399051B.gif

On 12/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, Kio said:

@Kio @BurgundyBoy

Like everyone else, I am always cold. It’s such a strange feeling after being the fat sweaty gal in the group. My bedroom is the least insulated room in our apartment, so I have a space heater going as well as two down comforters. My husband is mocking my predicament. 

15 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

@Kio @BurgundyBoy

Like everyone else, I am always cold. It’s such a strange feeling after being the fat sweaty gal in the group. My bedroom is the least insulated room in our apartment, so I have a space heater going as well as two down comforters. My husband is mocking my predicament. 

Evil husband... My wife is, I think, only just able to contain herself (when I go to crank up the heat) to mild character assassination and snarky comparisons to the past. Well, at least the summers will be easier to tolerate. This has to be the most shocking change for many of us!

Am using a space heater and an electric blanket to keep the Ice Age away. My son caught me eyeing his new parka ... not that I would have taken it on a permanent basis and not a trial ...

10 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Well, at least the summers will be easier to tolerate. This has to be the most shocking change for many of us!

Don't be so sure @BurgundyBoy. I'm finding summer here in the southern hemisphere just as bad as winter was only for different reasons. For me hydration is the real problem. I'm not feeling the heat like I used to, so the body isn't giving the signals to chug away on the fluids. Add to that I'm tending not to turn the aircon on because I'm not hot. By the time my body sends the I'm hot signals later in the day.....im pretty close to heat exhaustion territory. Might not be such an issue for you because you have family around to turn the aircon on, but I'm on my own these days. Well meaning friends have suggested I set some kind of alarm that will tell me it reaches a certain temp, and to turn on the cooling when that alerts me. The fluid intake I'm just going to have find a way to force even when I don't realise that I need it, because I'm miserable by the time the message comes through from my body.