Michael_A

Started bagging up my 3X's today

I got a garbage bag and bagged up a lot of my 3X sized button up shirts and dress shirts. I wear an XL now, but probably not for much longer.  There is a LOT more that has to be tossed. For the last many years, I wore the exact same thing almost daily- a light gray Tshirt. I literally have only a few things that I wore, but many of them. A load of laundry for me consisted of at 10 or 12 of the identical gray Tshirts. I'm probably going to toss about 20 of those Tshirts by the time I get done mucking the closet out.

It's probably a strange thing to hear a guy say, but I'm going to enjoy occasionally shopping for new clothes. The mental process is so... different than before. I'm only going to buy a few things here and there until I get to goal.

In May I measured myself across my belly at the largest part and was at 56". Today I'm at 47".

Don't forget to keep a pair of your big boy pants Michael.  When the going gets tough, trying on some old clothes can be a big incentive to keep your face to the sun.

Fabulous news! You are doing really great.

As a guy I can tell you that buying men’s sized L or M clothes off the rack in normal stores is a lot of fun. Everything fits.  

I did not intentionally keep any of my old XXXL clothing as I wanted to put that era in my life totally behind me, although I understand why some people keep some of their old clothing for inspirational or humorous purposes. 

Branch out from gray.  There are other colors out there.  It may be intimidating at first and feel strange to find new things;). My entire closet was white and gray!

13 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Branch out from gray.  There are other colors out there.  It may be intimidating at first and feel strange to find new things;). My entire closet was white and gray!

I agree - as a puffy girl, I avoided anything other than black and dark blue because I believed them would make me look slimmer.  Now, it's bright and bold colours.

As to whether we should or shouldn't keep an item of clothing from our big girl/boy wardrobe is a personal choice of course but personally, when I'm having a down day and want to reach to food (candies and cookies primarily), dragging out my big girl jeans quickly knocks that notion on the head.  

1 hour ago, Res Ipsa said:

I did not intentionally keep any of my old XXXL clothing as I wanted to put that era in my life totally behind me, although I understand why some people keep some of their old clothing

100% agree with this. Since the ever-wise @cinwa mentioned it, I'm keeping one shirt and one pants. But the rest of it... I really almost despise that part of my life and can't get it behind me soon enough. I just want everything GONE.

I only kept one pair of jeans and one top.  The difference between my big girl jeans and the ones I wear now leave me with my jaw hitting the floor:

gallery_1935_606_18913.jpg

11 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

100% agree with this. Since the ever-wise @cinwa mentioned it, I'm keeping one shirt and one pants. But the rest of it... I really almost despise that part of my life and can't get it behind me soon enough. I just want everything GONE.

@Michael_A I am SOOOO with you on this. Bags and bags of clothes have been donated. I've kept a couple of shirts and one pair of large pants. 

Am in SF over the weekend with my wife visiting an old college friend - and inadvertently left my (new) dress shirts at home when I packed (duh....). So went to a store with them yesterday to buy a couple to wear here. Turns out I now am in a funny marginal zone for button down shirts  - ones with a narrow cut waist fit me now (YES!) but when I sit, one lower button is a bit tight - I still have a little roll of fat at my waist. When I tried on the "traditional" fit shirts they are not tight when I sit, but they look a little billowy or tent-like on me when I stand. 

My wife said get the traditional fit. I got the narrower fit.

Perhaps this was in part to goad me on out of this long stall I have been in, and in part as a vote of hopeful confidence that I can go the remaining distance to my desired weight. Putting on these shirts will help remind me to actually do the right things every day. Clothes can mean so little or very very much...

Love that pic, cinwa! Thats a great way to quickly remind yourself where you came from and how you got there!

Congrats on getting to clear out your closet, Michael! There has to be a lot of catharsis in doing so.  

1 hour ago, cinwa said:

I only kept one pair of jeans and one top.  The difference between my big girl jeans and the ones I wear now leave me with my jaw hitting the floor:

WOW is all that picture lets me say!!!!!  That is an incredible photo!!!  

BTW, what size are your tiny jeans as compared to the originals? I can't fathom someone going from that big to that tiny!  You have done an incredible job!

Edited by CJireh

59 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Perhaps this was in part to goad me on out of this long stall I have been in, and in part as a vote of hopeful confidence that I can go the remaining distance to my desired weight. Putting on these shirts will help remind me to actually do the right things every day. Clothes can mean so little or very very much...

That was a good plan, BB, now to work on that new goal of making them comfortable to sit in!  You can do it!

3 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I got a garbage bag and bagged up a lot of my 3X sized button up shirts and dress shirts. I wear an XL now, but probably not for much longer.  There is a LOT more that has to be tossed. For the last many years, I wore the exact same thing almost daily- a light gray Tshirt. I literally have only a few things that I wore, but many of them. A load of laundry for me consisted of at 10 or 12 of the identical gray Tshirts. I'm probably going to toss about 20 of those Tshirts by the time I get done mucking the closet out.

It's probably a strange thing to hear a guy say, but I'm going to enjoy occasionally shopping for new clothes. The mental process is so... different than before. I'm only going to buy a few things here and there until I get to goal.

In May I measured myself across my belly at the largest part and was at 56". Today I'm at 47".

WOW.....9" off of your midsection already?  AMAZING...that is over an inch per month!!!  And from 3X to XL?  Incredible! I am not buying new clothes yet either.  In fact I am just getting comfortable in my old clothes right now (27# down...I started losing again a few days ago!) but that isn't enough to get new clothes, but it is enough that I don't have to tug at my shirt all day because it is too tight on my middle!!!  I have a lot of clothes to go down to, but at the same time, they are probably pretty bad out of date, but if i DO have to buy things, they will be only clearance or thrift store finds...even still, not yet. I am just new at this weight loss thing!

6 hours ago, delilas said:

There has to be a lot of catharsis in doing so.

Very well worded.  :-)

Very cathartic.

5 hours ago, CJireh said:

WOW.....9" off of your midsection already?  AMAZING...that is over an inch per month!!!  And from 3X to XL?  Incredible! I am not buying new clothes yet either.  In fact I am just getting comfortable in my old clothes right now (27# down...I started losing again a few days ago!) but that isn't enough to get new clothes, but it is enough that I don't have to tug at my shirt all day because it is too tight on my middle!!!  I have a lot of clothes to go down to, but at the same time, they are probably pretty bad out of date, but if i DO have to buy things, they will be only clearance or thrift store finds...even still, not yet. I am just new at this weight loss thing!

I've been doing great at Sam's Club. Got a pair of jeans for $15, a couple long-sleeve t-shirts (dark blue and teal) for $6 each, and since it's cold and snowy here (and I'M always cold now!) I got three long sleeve Henley style thermal heavy shirts. Light gray, burgundy, and light blue. $14 each. I'm only telling you what colors so that @Cheesehead knows I'm branching out.  :-)

Anyways I don't plan on buying much more in the next little while.

7 hours ago, cinwa said:

Wish I'd kept a pair from my biggest days after seeing this. I only have some from 12 months ago so the photo is nowhere near as impressive. Doesn't look like 100lbs+ difference even though it is.

FB_IMG_1512283066009.thumb.jpg.9f9e538834026c293afd6104758e1e94.jpg

You guys inspire me so much! I have purged my closet twice and I'm about in need of another trip to the store. I used to absolutely hate clothes shopping. I'd get hot and frustrated and just want to be done. It is so weird to me still not having to go to the Big Boy section of stores to see if there was anything halfway fashionable that was long enough to cover my gut. Sometimes it still feels like a dream and I'm afraid I'll wake up. 

8 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Atta-boy @BurgundyBoy!

I, also kept a pair of jeans and the shirt I wore to the hospital.  Yes, I fit both legs down one old leg of the jeans.  I also kept a few xxl tshirts for sleeping in; I like big and baggy.  I always went with bland colors because I thought bright colors would make me stand out.  

I hate anything tight; like leggings, spandex.  I think that may be from years of thinking "omg, it's tight, I'm gaining weight again!".  I don't like woven fabric either (button down things).  I am truly forever in blue jeans and tshirts fabric type shirts but I have many styles and colors:). (Side note; I was married in blue jeans and a t shirt so I've always been that way.. when my daughter got married 7 years ago I was told no jeans until after dinner, lol!). Now I have all styles of jeans:). Used to go buy the one style that fit and buy as many as they had!

comb the clearance racks in the rapid weight loss they are your friend.  I still only check them as I find the normal selection overwhelming..our goodwill store is a disaster and too frustrating for me..I rarely pay more than $5-$6 for new tops or $10 for jeans.  Sams Club is great!  My sons gf and I often try to see who is wearing the cheapest outfit, lol!  

my fat brain still kicks in at times and I end up buying a size too big.  The old, "omg, what if I gain a couple pounds".  

13 hours ago, CJireh said:

WOW is all that picture lets me say!!!!!  That is an incredible photo!!!  

BTW, what size are your tiny jeans as compared to the originals? I can't fathom someone going from that big to that tiny!  You have done an incredible job!

The jeans are a 6 - the larger ones are either a 30 or 32 (hard to tell because the label is washed out).  Either way.  That was the size I'd been wearing for a number of years.

18 hours ago, Michael_A said:

That is such awesome progress, Michael - great job!  And hey, enjoy the shopping - men are allowed to enjoy looking good, too!

I remember a Christmas celebration I went to about five years ago for work.  It was at the home of one of our C-level execs, just a gorgeous place, and there were a lot of managers and directors there as well as me (a lowly exec assistant to the C-level exec at that time) and a couple of other assistants.  I was probably at my very highest weight at the time; I didn't weigh myself back then, but I would imagine it was around 360-370.  One of the managers from HR came up to me and said, "Kio!  I almost didn't recognize you!"  I thought it was because I was, for once, wearing make-up.  But she followed up with, "You don't usually wear colors!"

It's true - so much of my closet is full of black, grey, and dark brown solids.  I think it's our way of hiding ourselves, not drawing attention.  I don't know if it's the same way for men, but as a woman I had to HUNT for those dark colors!  Shopping in women's plus size stores and online is like walking through an eye-blasting acid trip.  Garish prints are the norm. I've adopted New England in my heart now and I'll never be a bright flower - but I've been pulling SOME bright colors, and some pretty pastels into my closet lately.  And my blacks and greys have been replaced with jewel tones.  Mostly in DRESSES, which were a total no-go for me before!!  The new trend in A-line skater dresses is a friend to people in rapid weight loss; I can wear them for a looong time before they start looking too big.  Sadly, I suspect this is a path not open to you.  ;) 

You should embrace your vanity for a while - it may help you get used to being the new you!  And god knows you've earned it - this is DEFINITELY not the easy way out.   

17 minutes ago, Kio said:

I think it's our way of hiding ourselves, not drawing attention.

Yes, absolutely. This never dawned on me until a couple years ago, someone wanted to take a pic of me in front of the gorgeous new piano that our church had received (I play it every Sunday). It seems such a shame now, but I used to always wear this zip-up fleece lightweight black jacket over everything, and the person taking the pic, who knew me well enough to get away with the comment, said "come on Michael, take off that jacket and quit hiding behind it". It really was an epiphany. I didn't know that's what I was doing, but I was. 

am breaking free of that now, and it is liberating.

22 minutes ago, Kio said:

A-line skater dress

What is this?  Genuinely just curious.

23 minutes ago, Kio said:

That is such awesome progress, Michael - great job! 

Thank you so much for your kind words! 

13 minutes ago, Michael_A said:

What is this?  Genuinely just curious.

It's basically a dress that doesn't cinch in too closely at the waist, with a hem that hits just above the knees.  It covers a multitude of past sins.  ;)  The ones I buy don't even have seams at the waist - minimally fitted, but no obvious divider.  So I can get away with wearing it for quite a few sizes until it's too bag-like to wear in public! 

Here's one I just bought that I'm really liking - I'm 5'3" and I bought it in tall, so on me the hem hits exactly at my knees.

Capture.PNG.2525adf4de4e3570c8f0bb431d58ae18.PNG

Thanks Kio!

@Michael_A, interesting that we don't think that we are hiding but the world is on to us. They know what we are up to. 

I never think "hide" but I often think "don't stand out"...especially when confronted by the garish prints that @Kio mentioned from the plus size stores!!! 

1 hour ago, Kio said:

It's basically a dress that doesn't cinch in too closely at the waist, with a hem that hits just above the knees.  It covers a multitude of past sins.  ;)  The ones I buy don't even have seams at the waist - minimally fitted, but no obvious divider.  So I can get away with wearing it for quite a few sizes until it's too bag-like to wear in public! 

Here's one I just bought that I'm really liking - I'm 5'3" and I bought it in tall, so on me the hem hits exactly at my knees.

Capture.PNG.2525adf4de4e3570c8f0bb431d58ae18.PNG

That is a solid choice to help you as you progress down through sizes in the near future! I had some dresses like that (a little longer, but same idea), and they were life savers. They got to the point where the sleeves and where the sleeves attached were SOOOOO too big that they didn't work anymore, but they were good for a long part of the "journey." 

Strategic clothing choices, in the absence of a large trust-fund to cover complete wardrobe overhauls, are actually weirdly important in this time in our lives. It's hard to feel good about your beautiful new you if that you is drowning in a sea of ill-fitting cloth. Every time I buy a new round of clothes, I feel 100% better about myself. And then those get too big, too :( What a very nice problem to have, right???? Sure beats having to buy bigger new clothes because I'm gaining weight!

I've been bagging and dropping off my too-big clothes throughout the last few months' progress. Partly because I just don't want them around cluttering up the place, and partly because I fear hanging on to larger sizes "just in case" - because that "just in case" is just not going to happen, and I don't want to tempt fate! ;) Also, since I've made a big intercontinental move during this time, I just couldn't hang on to things. Heck, there's stuff that I brought from America that I didn't wear for the first couple of months here and I've had to give it away without even wearing it once. So glad I brought those things with me :unsure: 

20 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

...Strategic clothing choices, in the absence of a large trust-fund to cover complete wardrobe overhauls, are actually weirdly important in this time in our lives. It's hard to feel good about your beautiful new you if that you is drowning in a sea of ill-fitting cloth. Every time I buy a new round of clothes, I feel 100% better about myself. And then those get too big, too :( What a very nice problem to have, right???? Sure beats having to buy bigger new clothes because I'm gaining weight! ....

... So my wife and I are visiting an old friend in SF this weekend, and since I'm cold all the time I brought my pair of XXL long undies to wear as faux-pajamas.  (The Curse of Weight-Loss Surgery, boy is @Michael_A in trouble in Alaska, as are the November newbies who live in the North...) It's like wearing a tent. They used to be so tight I could barely fit. As I type now, I am wearing a pair of shorts bought at Costco sometime back in the late summer... and they can be pulled off without unbuttoning anything now. So today I am reminded of how big I was, and the intermediate points of my journey. 

I love this. But glad my intermediate wardrobe was both modest, and modestly priced.