Nana Trish

Confessions

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

I suppose when you are at goal or closer to goal it might be harder.  As for myself there is just no room if I get my fluids and protein in.  I have heard the restriction relaxes but at this point I don't see how.  Can someone farther out with a sleeve explain what, when, and why or how that can be after you are healed and swelling is gone?

I don't know the "how" but can tell you that it does indeed relax and allow more volume, although never even close to what it once was pre-WLS (thankfully!).  Probably what gets most people in trouble in maintenance though is not a restriction issue per se but a relaxing of the "rules".  You can eat bits and bites throughout the day and really add up calories without ever testing your actual restriction.  You can eat slider foods which don't cause the feeling of fullness (I'm talking to you, movie theatre popcorn!), you can regress to your old eating habits (minus the volume) and disregard the protein and veggies rule.  You can drink calories.  So many ways to sabotage your maintenance goals and most of them have little or nothing to do with restriction which is why sticking to the rules is so critical to long term success.  I know...I fight these battles every day :)

27 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

I don't know the "how" but can tell you that it does indeed relax and allow more volume, although never even close to what it once was pre-WLS (thankfully!).  Probably what gets most people in trouble in maintenance though is not a restriction issue per se but a relaxing of the "rules".  You can eat bits and bites throughout the day and really add up calories without ever testing your actual restriction.  You can eat slider foods which don't cause the feeling of fullness (I'm talking to you, movie theatre popcorn!), you can regress to your old eating habits (minus the volume) and disregard the protein and veggies rule.  You can drink calories.  So many ways to sabotage your maintenance goals and most of them have little or nothing to do with restriction which is why sticking to the rules is so critical to long term success.  I know...I fight these battles every day :)

Exactly. I still have loads of restriction and that parts great. It's the ease of popping a candy into your mouth, and then another an hour later, and another. That's my issue. I just need to be more careful on what I allow in the house. I previously was able to just avoid because I shouldn't eat it. Now that's harder for me and I'm not sure why. Feeling accomplished and thin? Treating myself for doing so well. It's a weird mental thing with me. My brain looks at my daughter's left over waffle and says "DO NOT EAT THAT", "YOU'RE NOT EVEN HUNGRY" and then before I know it, down the hatch. What is that?? I had to reschedule my therapy to next week instead of today. I was hoping to have better insight.

1 hour ago, msmarymac said:

Thank you for your feed back.  This is something that I can keep an eye on in the future.  @Smashlee83 I can see being so close to goal like you are how I might start getting more lax in that same situation so that is something else I can watch as I get closer to goal ty.

4 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Exactly. I still have loads of restriction and that parts great. It's the ease of popping a candy into your mouth, and then another an hour later, and another. That's my issue. I just need to be more careful on what I allow in the house. I previously was able to just avoid because I shouldn't eat it. Now that's harder for me and I'm not sure why. Feeling accomplished and thin? Treating myself for doing so well. It's a weird mental thing with me. My brain looks at my daughter's left over waffle and says "DO NOT EAT THAT", "YOU'RE NOT EVEN HUNGRY" and then before I know it, down the hatch. What is that?? I had to reschedule my therapy to next week instead of today. I was hoping to have better insight.

I’ve had to train myself not to eat my daughter’s leftovers. I hate to see food waste and the amount of food my daughter refuses to eat increases every day. I ask the universe to forgive me as I dump it in the garbage. It’s the little bites and snacks that will impact our waistlines in the long run. I’m in this struggle with you!

6 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I’ve had to train myself not to eat my daughter’s leftovers. I hate to see food waste and the amount of food my daughter refuses to eat increases every day. I ask the universe to forgive me as I dump it in the garbage. It’s the little bites and snacks that will impact our waistlines in the long run. I’m in this struggle with you!

I have a problem throwing food away also and now I cant finish stuff so I offer it almost demand someone else eat it !!    LOL