Paigetherage

I have a co-morbidity

After all of weight checks over the course of the last 6 months, and the rejection 2 years ago from another bariatric surgeons office because my weight was just a smidge under 40 BMI, I finally have a comorbidity. I just found out on Tuesday I have class B esophagitis, from GERD. I’m now on 20mg Omeprazole in the morning. My weight is now over 40 BMI, but to think if they found this 2 years ago I would’ve been done with surgery already and where I want to be with my body. 

Since im now done with all of my appointments, it’s just a waiting game to be submitted to insurance then the approval. My surgery is 11 days away. I haven’t gotten my tree up, or my house cleaned (thinking about bringing in a nurse possibly, let me know your thoughts), my bag isn’t packed but I have a list of what I’m bringing. I’m not ready! I think I still have the feeling I’m going to be denied because I haven’t lost any real weight, I’ve just been up and down on the scale every month for weight checks. Ugh. 

I hope this works out for you! While it's not *great* to have a co-morbidity, of course, it's great to be given the go-ahead for the surgery. Don't stress about the tree or house. I'm sure it's nice to make sure your house is in order before surgery, but it's not essential to the process. Getting your post-op food, beverages, and meds in order is important, though (remembering not to buy too much because you'll be eating so astonishingly little). 

Not sure if a nurse is necessary - I don't know your current mobility and no one knows how you'll feel after the surgery, but if you've got anyone else to lift heavy things, you'll probably be OK. My husband was helpful at bringing me things, and made life easier, for sure, but I think I could have managed on my own OK. You know yourself best, though. 

I had my sleeve surgery right before Christmas 3 years ago and it was a wonderful excuse not to have to do all the usual stuff lol.  I did what was important to me and my (grown) kids but otherwise got a pass. 

As far as "bringing in a nurse" goes, I'm not sure why you would need an actual nurse and I'm certain your insurance would not pay for a home health nurse as it wouldn't be medically necessary by any stretch.  If however you are needing help with household stuff, by all means consider hiring help if you don't have someone at home to help out. 

I was out Christmas shopping a few days after surgery, although it did wear me out lol.  Of course, I had sleeve not bypass, and people recover at different rates but I think the majority of people recover far quicker than they expect after major surgery.

I was home on my own day 5 after my surgery, having driven 4 hours to get there. Definitely no need for a nurse. I had an RNY bypass with gastrectomy plus removal of the omentum. Didn't even need help with household/ garden stuff, but at times did completely ignore some heavier chores that I could have paid someone to do for me.

I highly doubt you'll need a nurse. I was in the hospital for 2 days and when discharged, was tired and sore but otherwise quite functional. Three days later I met up with our own Gretta for tea, this is me at 5 days out...

20171115_190752.jpg.4439f98ba1ad814f0518

10 hours ago, Paigetherage said:

After all of weight checks over the course of the last 6 months, and the rejection 2 years ago from another bariatric surgeons office because my weight was just a smidge under 40 BMI, I finally have a comorbidity. I just found out on Tuesday I have class B esophagitis, from GERD. I’m now on 20mg Omeprazole in the morning. My weight is now over 40 BMI, but to think if they found this 2 years ago I would’ve been done with surgery already and where I want to be with my body. 

Since im now done with all of my appointments, it’s just a waiting game to be submitted to insurance then the approval. My surgery is 11 days away. I haven’t gotten my tree up, or my house cleaned (thinking about bringing in a nurse possibly, let me know your thoughts), my bag isn’t packed but I have a list of what I’m bringing. I’m not ready! I think I still have the feeling I’m going to be denied because I haven’t lost any real weight, I’ve just been up and down on the scale every month for weight checks. Ugh. 

@Paigetherage unless you need to do some heavy lifting or carrying of stuff you should be okay without help. I have to drag a 40+ pound recycling bin up a bit of a hill where I live, and my wife or son did that (along with the other recycling and our trash) for a while after my surgery. Otherwise I'm hard pressed to think of an example of things where someone had to do things for me. A tree might be in the category of something you would need help with, so maybe get and put up your tree in the few days before surgery - that might be prudent. 

Isn't the insurance industry wonderful when it comes to this stuff? Denied if you are 39.9 BMI but okay to go forward at 40...

21 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@Paigetherage 

Isn't the insurance industry wonderful when it comes to this stuff? Denied if you are 39.9 BMI but okay to go forward at 40...

That's what the old fashioned scale weights are useful for. Shove a couple of those in your pockets and voila......approval!!!!!