hi everyone!

i am 1.5 years post op! reached my goal weight and hoping to maintain where i am. recently i have noticed a couple of things that worry me and i was wondering if i could get some feedback from you all:

1. hair loss, i know its normal lol but its making me sad, when did yours stop?

2.  increased appetite? i am starting to feel waaay more hungry its worrying me but it also doesnt seem normal? tracking all my calories and i eat 1,100 on most days but it doesnt seem to be enough. i feel like i am ALWAYS hungry its really scaring me.

that leads me to my question? have any of you guys suffered from reactive hyploglycemia? apparantly it happens to some people after wls. and the symptoms seem to fall in to what i have been feeling:

• super shaky and jittery the other day i had to sit down i felt like i couldnt stand up
  • wooziness. 
  • i am always tired. i wake up tired, and even after 4 naps im ready to sleep?
  • rapid heartbeat/heart palpitations. 

im going to go to a GP to get this all checked out of course but just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this? also pls give me advice to deal with increased appetite? so far im just drinking a lot of coffee and tea (which im not sure is healthy) to try and put me off.

1 hour ago, daisychains said:

hi everyone!

i am 1.5 years post op! reached my goal weight and hoping to maintain where i am. recently i have noticed a couple of things that worry me and i was wondering if i could get some feedback from you all:

1. hair loss, i know its normal lol but its making me sad, when did yours stop?

2.  increased appetite? i am starting to feel waaay more hungry its worrying me but it also doesnt seem normal? tracking all my calories and i eat 1,100 on most days but it doesnt seem to be enough. i feel like i am ALWAYS hungry its really scaring me.

that leads me to my question? have any of you guys suffered from reactive hyploglycemia? apparantly it happens to some people after wls. and the symptoms seem to fall in to what i have been feeling:

• super shaky and jittery the other day i had to sit down i felt like i couldnt stand up
  • wooziness. 
  • i am always tired. i wake up tired, and even after 4 naps im ready to sleep?
  • rapid heartbeat/heart palpitations. 

im going to go to a GP to get this all checked out of course but just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this? also pls give me advice to deal with increased appetite? so far im just drinking a lot of coffee and tea (which im not sure is healthy) to try and put me off.

Hi, I was recently travelling and ate some yogurt in an hotel that must have had a gazillion grams of sugar in it... and I had exactly these symptoms. But for me I think I had a big insulin response to the sugar, and then the boost in my insulin drove my sugar down... and my heart rate was fast, I felt shaky and jittery too. So for me I was fine when I woke up, then only had this in response to a big sugar load. In your case you are waking up tired. I would be more concerned about a vitamin or nutrient deficiency, such as garden-variety anemia, if you are tired all of the time, even when you wake up. Best thing would be to have some lab studies and a thorough physical exam

You may find filling up with green leafy vegetables like broccoli may help with the satiety issue. I also find that eating a lot of protein tends to keep my hunger at bay. I had a sleeve too. 

Congrats on your weight loss..  I have had this happen and Dr. said low blood sugar so if and when it happens I am to have sugar. Good thing I didn't have the bypass I guess.

5 hours ago, daisychains said:

i feel like i am ALWAYS hungry

I have heard many times here that the feeling of hunger is actually acid issues.

Just a thought.

My hunger came back about 18 - 24 months after surgery. It isn't the same as it was pre-op but I can't go 20 hours without eating like I could during my honeymoon phase. To deal with it I pretty much eat when I am hungry. I bring my lunch to work and rather than eat on a schedule, I eat when my body is asking for food. Some days I eat at 11:30 am and some days at 4 pm and anywhere in between. 

Pre-op, the moment I felt hungry I would either eat or go find/make/buy something to eat. Now when I feel hungry (like right now) I tell myself I'll be home in an hour and will eat dinner then. Pre-op I would feel ravenous at times but I haven't felt hunger in that way since surgery. So post-op, if I have a set time for a meal - business lunch, dinner date, etc and I am hungry before that meal, I'll have a cup of decaf with 1/2 a protein shake or a piece of cheese. Just enough to hold me over until the meal. 

Conversely, I don't eat when I'm not hungry. If I have a scheduled meal like a business meal that I can't get out of and I'm not at all hungry, I'll order a side salad and have a few bites and make it look like I'm eating.  

I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones who never feels hunger again. Since I'm not, I figured out how to make it work.

Certainly head hunger came roaring back after the honeymoon period for me and I found myself wanting to eat all the time, especially if I was bored.  I have had to really work on that and make sure that I am eating only when actually physically hungry.   Chewing gum or crunching ice helps.  But the thing that works best for me is to keep busy :)

I have always had hypoglycemia, even preop, so I know exactly how to avoid it and am actually much better at it now than I used to be.  I don't eat the simple carb/sugar junk that I used to so it doesn't trigger that huge insulin over-reaction.  That is absolutely the best way to avoid it is to avoid sugar and simple processed carbs.  If you do have some of those things, you have to have protein with it.  

The fatigue could be many things; thyroid, anemia, etc so it's good to have that checked out.

What a great topic to come across today. I'm having similar challenges.

Coming out of surgery it was the very first time in my life I had no appetite and the desire for food just wasn't there. No cravings, no temptations, no 'fighting the hunger'. It was a completely foreign experience for me because I could never remember a time that I didn't want to eat. It was glorious.....and short lived. At about 2 and a half years out, I'm finding both the need to eat (physical hunger) and the desire to eat (head hunger) have increased. I've gained a little weight back and am finding it harder than ever to lose it. To boot, I've gone on a new medication that can cause weight gain. I didn't go through all of this for nothing and the good news is, I'm restarting my efforts not at the bottom of the mountain but just a few steps from the top. I started the 5 day pouch test today in the hopes it will kick-start the process. I'll let you all know how I make out. In the interim, I'd love to hear some helpful feedback from everyone.

6 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I have always had hypoglycemia, even preop, so I know exactly how to avoid it and am actually much better at it now than I used to be.  I don't eat the simple carb/sugar junk that I used to so it doesn't trigger that huge insulin over-reaction.  That is absolutely the best way to avoid it is to avoid sugar and simple processed carbs.  If you do have some of those things, you have to have protein with it

You saved me the effort of finding the same words. Low GI is the only way I've found to manage this. As soon as I have sugar I might as well write the rest of the day off because I'll be sleeping it away.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Michael_A said:

I have heard many times here that the feeling of hunger is actually acid issues.

Just a thought.

This is soooooooo  true !!  If I feel hungry first thing I do now is take tums or rolaids first.  usually I am fine after that

On 11/29/2017 at 4:35 PM, Jabsie said:

What a great topic to come across today. I'm having similar challenges.

Coming out of surgery it was the very first time in my life I had no appetite and the desire for food just wasn't there. No cravings, no temptations, no 'fighting the hunger'. It was a completely foreign experience for me because I could never remember a time that I didn't want to eat. It was glorious.....and short lived. At about 2 and a half years out, I'm finding both the need to eat (physical hunger) and the desire to eat (head hunger) have increased. I've gained a little weight back and am finding it harder than ever to lose it. To boot, I've gone on a new medication that can cause weight gain. I didn't go through all of this for nothing and the good news is, I'm restarting my efforts not at the bottom of the mountain but just a few steps from the top. I started the 5 day pouch test today in the hopes it will kick-start the process. I'll let you all know how I make out. In the interim, I'd love to hear some helpful feedback from everyone.

Jabsie your post really made me do a double take. I am having terrible problems with head hunger right now and was thinking I would have to put a lock on the kitchen door (and tell the neighbors to be sure to lock their kitchen windows too). 

FWIW I have used the Ricola low calorie lemon or herb flavored lozenges so I can just put something into my mouth when I need that input but don't want the calories. They have minimal calories and they keep me from eating for at least 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer. I'm going to buy a new bag tomorrow. I may buy some no-cal chewing gum too for the same kind of reasons...