Boho Rosy

It’s really working!!

My surgery was 10 days ago. Every morning I get on the scale, half expecting that the number will go up, because in my life, it pretty much always has. Today I saw a 2 at the beginning instead of a 3 and I am just beside myself. It’s really working.

I know that the weight loss will slow down and that it’s probably not a good idea to weight myself every single day long term, but in this moment I feel hope. Happy Thanksgiving, indeed.

Psychologically, weighing yourself everyday would not be a good idea. Water levels in your body tends to fluctuate a whole lot and if you get on the scale tomorrow, you might be 2 pounds heavier then you were the day before and you didn't do anything wrong. Try to weigh yourself once a week. Don't get discouraged because you will learn that your weight will fluctuate a whole lot in this journey. 

Congrats on the 2!!! :D What a nice little after Thanksgiving gift to see on the scale this morning! That exciting feeling of seeing the pounds disappear is really great. It's sometimes hard in the beginning hard to really really believe it's actually going to work, but it will and it is :) 

I totally agree with @Dtrain84 that weight fluctuates a lot over the process, and daily ups and downs don't mean much compared to looking at longer term trends. Unlike a lot of the people here, I'm a daily weigher, though, and I had to learn to take the bad (well, not really bad, but stalls) with the good, and eventually my mind got to be OK with it. It took a few months of mental gymnastics before I was OK with no losses for the day, or low losses for the week, or what have you. Now, I feel pretty resilient in my outlook on the scale, and although I'm in a bit of a stall right now, it's not getting me down at all. That doesn't mean I'm not happy when I see losses, though! I guess I've learned to enjoy the good and let the bad roll off me without damaging my mood. 

Get ready for some exciting times!

7 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Congrats on the 2!!! :D What a nice little after Thanksgiving gift to see on the scale this morning! That exciting feeling of seeing the pounds disappear is really great. It's sometimes hard in the beginning hard to really really believe it's actually going to work, but it will and it is :) 

I totally agree with @Dtrain84 that weight fluctuates a lot over the process, and daily ups and downs don't mean much compared to looking at longer term trends. Unlike a lot of the people here, I'm a daily weigher, though, and I had to learn to take the bad (well, not really bad, but stalls) with the good, and eventually my mind got to be OK with it. It took a few months of mental gymnastics before I was OK with no losses for the day, or low losses for the week, or what have you. Now, I feel pretty resilient in my outlook on the scale, and although I'm in a bit of a stall right now, it's not getting me down at all. That doesn't mean I'm not happy when I see losses, though! I guess I've learned to enjoy the good and let the bad roll off me without damaging my mood. 

100% the same - I told myself I wasn't going to weigh each day, but I totally do it.  The fluctuations up don't really bother me.  I was mentally trying to get to a certain point by Thanksgiving and missed it by 6 oz so I couldn't even round up!  No big deal though, I made the goal with an extra pound the next day.  You can't do anything about it except work the program you've been given and let you body keep adjusting as you go along, but I still find the daily weigh-ins motivating.

That first month was pretty exciting for me too @Boho Rosy, weight was just flying off, slowed down the next month and it seems to be in the teens so far each month since then.  I've also found that when I am in a bit of a stall or just losing a few ounces, that is when I usually see a size drop in my clothes, so that redistribution is happening at that time, I guess.

I just got into the 2's also, so congrats!  Is it just me or does it now feel like a long road ahead from here?  I don't even know if the 1's are realistic for me, it's been so long...my next mini-goal is getting to the halfway point and that is just 12 pounds away...my brain can handle focusing on that chunk and I'll use it to be my December motivator.  Glad to hear you are doing so well - it's exciting, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

Is it just me or does it now feel like a long road ahead from here?  I don't even know if the 1's are realistic for me, it's been so long

Kayak, I think the 1s are absolutely realistic for you :) I know it feels like it's going slowly sometimes, but when you look back on it, you'll be like "Wow! That was fast!" You're already down 100 pounds from your HW (CONGRATS!!!). You're making great progress, and are an inspiration for others.

5 minutes ago, kayak19 said:

Glad to hear you are doing so well - it's exciting, isn't it?

@kayak19 So exciting! I never thought I’d be in the 1’s again, and I had made peace with that years before electing to get the surgery. I remember being happy In the mid 2’s (as ridiculous as that sounds), and I always hoped that I would someday make it back to that point through traditional dieting. Each year that passed, I got further away instead of closer. Now with the surgery I feel confident that I’ll make it there and maybe even back to the 1’s. Looking forward to watching you get there from afar as well!

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

Bring it on! :)

14 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Kayak, I think the 1s are absolutely realistic for you :) I know it feels like it's going slowly sometimes, but when you look back on it, you'll be like "Wow! That was fast!" You're already down 100 pounds from your HW (CONGRATS!!!). You're making great progress, and are an inspiration for others.

Thanks, Jen :)  The 1s right now feel to me like how I talked about this whole process, prior to surgery..."if I am able to lose weight..."  because there have been so many disappointments in the past that it feels foolish talking like it's going to work, but then you realize it does actually work.  The 1s are college/high school weights for me, so while this process is definitely going along quickly, that seems like another lifetime ago!

12 minutes ago, Boho Rosy said:

@kayak19 So exciting! I never thought I’d be in the 1’s again, and I had made peace with that years before electing to get the surgery. I remember being happy In the mid 2’s (as ridiculous as that sounds), and I always hoped that I would someday make it back to that point through traditional dieting. Each year that passed, I got further away instead of closer. Now with the surgery I feel confident that I’ll make it there and maybe even back to the 1’s. Looking forward to watching you get there from afar as well!

I know what you mean - not ridiculous at all!   I'm so happy now that sometimes I have to remind myself that I still weigh nearly 300 lbs, a starting weight for many on this journey.  There have been so many improvements in my quality of life already and things that I'm not having to worry about anymore - I'm excited that it will just continue to get better for all of us!

that is awesome, @Boho Rosy!!!! I haven't lost an ounce at all since my 1 wk follow up but trying not to worry about it, just following the rules and trusting the scale will eventually be nice to me :)  

SO GREAT to get to the 200s!  Keep on heading down down down!!!  It's been 10 days for you now...what are you allowed to eat at this point? How are you feeling?  Do you have any more energy yet?

Edited by CJireh

Welcome to twoterville!  I had been a slave to the scale before surgery.  It often dictated my emotions.  If it were down I'd reward myself if it went up I'd throw in the towel and eat what I wanted.  For that reason I weighed every two weeks at first and never noticed a gain or stall.  Now I weigh every day.  But the scale was never my friend, more of an enemy.  

5 minutes ago, CJireh said:

that is awesome, @Boho Rosy!!!! I haven't lost an ounce at all since my 1 wk follow up but trying not to worry about it, just following the rules and trusting the scale will eventually be nice to me :)  

SO GREAT to get to the 200s!  Keep on heading down down down!!!  It's been 10 days for you now...what are you allowed to eat at this point? How are you feeling?  Do you have any more energy yet?

Don’t worry about it one bit. I have read so many times about people who aren’t losing, keep at it, and than it starts to drop. I look forward to celebrating with you when that happens to you! In the meantime, keep up the good work.

I am on puréed foods at this point, which is a big relief. I haven’t lost my appetite as I had hoped I would - I know many people do. I’m having about two tablespoons at a time, every couple of hours or so. I’m also continuing to use protein supplements so that I hit my goals. 

Energy levels are touch and go. Sometimes I’m great, and then I fade. I just try to make sure that when I’m out and about, I have a place to sit when I need to. Yesterday I felt crappy and tired, so I stayed home and did some Christmas decorating. Today is better and I plan to take a walk, which I’m looking forward to. 

7 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Welcome to twoterville!  I had been a slave to the scale before surgery.  It often dictated my emotions.  If it were down I'd reward myself if it went up I'd throw in the towel and eat what I wanted.  For that reason I weighed every two weeks at first and never noticed a gain or stall.  Now I weigh every day.  But the scale was never my friend, more of an enemy.  

Thanks! Twoterville - ha!

I have mixed feelings about how to proceed with the scale. In the past, I would ignore it for long periods of time during which I would often be gaining weight. On some level I was ignoring it on purpose. I think getting in the habit of weighing daily could help me keep things in check down the line, but I don’t want to obsess over it. Maybe I’ll do a weekly weigh in for now.

2 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

I have mixed feelings about how to proceed with the scale. In the past, I would ignore it for long periods of time during which I would often be gaining weight. On some level I was ignoring it on purpose. I think getting in the habit of weighing daily could help me keep things in check down the line, but I don’t want to obsess over it. Maybe I’ll do a weekly weigh in for now.

Congratulations on the 2! You got there so quickly! I'm weighing once a week during the weight loss phase to have good records. Now I wish I had only committed to once every two weeks. But I'm such a stickler for data, I will stick with weekly now. When I get to my goal, I'll weigh more often, but I'm convinced weighing daily during weight loss would work against my success and really  bring my mood down. No way.

Hope you all took measurements...

4 hours ago, CJireh said:

I have been weighing daily since I received my new scale. Steady at 1lb a day for the first week and then it stopped. I weighed the same 4 mornings in a row and then today I was down a pound again. I'm now in the 300's which is awesome from starting in the 500's. Down 24lbs since surgery 17day ago.

Great news on your post op results!  

I have weighed myself every morning since about 80 days before my weight loss surgery and this daily weighing has worked out very well for me.  In the years prior to my surgery, I gained a lot of weight by being afraid to get on a scale and so I resolved as part of my decision to have weight loss surgery to never avoid a scale again.  But that's me :wacko: - most people prefer to weight only once a week.  Do what feels right for you, and remember that a weight loss stall 2-4 weeks after surgery is very common.

33 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

I'm now in the 300's which is awesome from starting in the 500's. Down 24lbs since surgery 17day ago.

Way to go @AustinJ!!

53 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

I have been weighing daily since I received my new scale. Steady at 1lb a day for the first week and then it stopped. I weighed the same 4 mornings in a row and then today I was down a pound again. I'm now in the 300's which is awesome from starting in the 500's. Down 24lbs since surgery 17day ago.

Great news Austin - great news! You must be really pleased. 

5 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

Thanks! Twoterville - ha!

I've been doing daily weighings but may switch to weekly. At this point I don't have losses on a steady basis, I have some kind of weird steps where I am the same weight for a number of weeks and then lose a lot in just a couple of days, and typically regain a pound or two of the 6 or so that I drop. No idea what the Weight Loss Gremlins are doing to my metabolism to make things work this way. Mostly I think the daily weighings for me are a habit that feeds into control over my future and not allowing myself to snack my way back to a larger size.

Echoing @Cheesehead's comment - do  consider having measurements of your calves, thighs, waists, circumference-around-your-bum, upper and lower arms, neck size... all those will change, not at the same rate, and may help you to keep your spirits up when those inevitable stalls happen. 

Congratulations to everyone on their progress! I can't resist the daily weighings and I don't have a problem with the fluctuations that occur. Like @BurgundyBoy I view them as a habit that will be beneficial in catching any future gains after reaching goal before they get out of hand. I haven't had any measurements other than my waist to track, but have found that even through stalls I still get positive feedback from the continual increasing loose fitting of my clothes. One thing I have noticed and I don't like is how much weaker I feel during my weight workouts as I continue to lose weight. I guess I didn't realize how much stronger I was being heavier. Oh well, I'll take being thinner and weaker over fat and strong. Anyway, I'm rambling tonight for some reason. Maybe I'm just in a good mood. :D

Edited by Chefman77

11 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

I have mixed feelings about how to proceed with the scale. In the past, I would ignore it for long periods of time during which I would often be gaining weight. On some level I was ignoring it on purpose.

That is me to a T. That's why I'm a daily weigher now - building the habit of accountability. I know it's not for everyone, but it's certainly the way for me.

1 hour ago, Chefman77 said:

One thing I have noticed and I don't like is how much weaker I feel during my weight workouts as I continue to lose weight.

From months 4-6 or so, I felt a lot weaker, too. I was feeling *normal* again, not like in the beginning, but just my muscles were weaker. That's gone away now, and I feel really good. I hope your trajectory works about the same - that would mean you'd be coming to the end of that phase pretty soon :) 

1 hour ago, Jen581791 said:

From months 4-6 or so, I felt a lot weaker, too. I was feeling *normal* again, not like in the beginning, but just my muscles were weaker. That's gone away now, and I feel really good. I hope your trajectory works about the same - that would mean you'd be coming to the end of that phase pretty soon :) 

Thanks @Jen581791! I hope my trajectory works the same too! :)

On 11/25/2017 at 7:34 AM, Boho Rosy said:

My surgery was 10 days ago. Every morning I get on the scale, half expecting that the number will go up, because in my life, it pretty much always has. Today I saw a 2 at the beginning instead of a 3 and I am just beside myself. It’s really working.

I know that the weight loss will slow down and that it’s probably not a good idea to weight myself every single day long term, but in this moment I feel hope. Happy Thanksgiving, indeed.

Congratulations, @Boho Rosy!! I remember exactly how I felt when I saw that 2 instead of a 3 :) amazing, isn't it?

It really isn't a good idea to weigh yourself everyday. I have not been successful at just weighing once a week or once a month like a lot of us have, though. It's extremely frustrating to watch the scale go up, especially if you're really sticking to plan. Like @Dtrain84 said, you will fluctuate a whole lot while you're losing. I've gotten to a point where I have seen the same pattern over and over with my weight because I weigh every day, and now it doesn't upset me anymore to see a small gain. But it took me 6+ months to get here. If you can handle just doing it once a week, I think you should do that. The less chances you give your body to play mind games with you, the better ❤️

On 11/25/2017 at 8:22 AM, Jen581791 said:

This ^^^ Exactly!!