TK Hops

Hi! New Here!

Hi! I am new to the site, I am having gastric bypass done on January 8th. I'm nervous and excited. I'm planning to creep along here for the next few weeks and learn as much as I can from all of you!

I have a cousin who had the surgery and I have a support group that I go to at my local hospital, but a forum like this is an awesome resource to add to my arsenal of information!

Welcome! You've come to the right place for information and support! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Welcome! It's a great idea to just click around and do a little research here while you're gathering information. I found some of the blogs really inspiring when I was pre-op (still do, actually!!). Definitely chime in and contribute when you can, and feel welcome to ask any questions you have. People here are so helpful.

Welcome to Thinner Times TK Hops!

Welcome to the forum,  TK Hops. It is a good idea to learn all that you are able to ahead of time. This forum is a great source of information.

Welcome!

Welcome! I have never regretted having my gastric bypass as it allowed me to lose my extra weight and become thin, healthy and much more active. Life is really good on the “losers bench” and I cannot wait to welcome you to it. :)

@TK Hops

Do you have any special goals or desires for yourself after surgery? (Personally I wanted to lose not only all my weight but also the last 35 years. Much to my annoyance the weight is better but the aging part remains). 

Thanks everybody! I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago. I lost over 40 lbs that year (fantastic for me, 20 lbs was the max I could ever lose). 1 year ago, I went in for my yearly check-up fully expecting all of my numbers to be improved(none were ever more than a couple of points high). The next day the doctor herself called me. My fasting blood sugar was 368. I immediately went to buy a meter. After I figured out how to use it, I saw my blood sugar was 539. I panicked. My A1C was 13.7 and I was immediately put on insulin & metformin. After a while, I was beginning to regain the weight I'd lost & then found out weight gain was a side effect of insulin, grrrrr. While researching diabetes, I came across an article that said gastric bypass was an effective means for long term diabetes control because the surgery reroutes around the duodendron. So I started researching it & went to a seminar. I started the long process of approval a month later. I have been off insulin now for over 2 months through diet & exercise and have relost all but 5 lbs of what I gaines back. I know the cycle of diabetes is to become more & more insulin resistant. Currently, I am at 40 carbs per day for control. I know without the surgery,  I'll have to keep decreasing the carbs even more until I am forced back on insulin. 

I should add my brother died in his sleep from diabetes complications at just 7 years older than I am now, so I am fearful of going to sleep. Also, my brother in law, who is 10 years older than me is struggling to save his foot & leg. I also had my own diabetic ulcer on my foot that was difficult to treat. The weight loss will be great, but diabetes is my motivator.

Edited by TK Hops
word spelled wrong

@TK Hops

Well that's pretty powerful stuff. I'd be motivated too. For whatever reasons I think people like you with a very specific goal do very very well with WLS. 

@NerdyLady also had diabetes and if I recall correctly, she was on 3 or 4 drugs... and still not under good control. She has now posted that she is off all diabetes meds now with normal glucose and A1c readings. 

7 hours ago, TK Hops said:

Thanks everybody! I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago. I lost over 40 lbs that year (fantastic for me, 20 lbs was the max I could ever lose). 1 year ago, I went in for my yearly check-up fully expecting all of my numbers to be improved(none were ever more than a couple of points high). The next day the doctor herself called me. My fasting blood sugar was 368. I immediately went to buy a meter. After I figured out how to use it, I saw my blood sugar was 539. I panicked. My A1C was 13.7 and I was immediately put on insulin & metformin. After a while, I was beginning to regain the weight I'd lost & then found out weight gain was a side effect of insulin, grrrrr. While researching diabetes, I came across an article that said gastric bypass was an effective means for long term diabetes control because the surgery reroutes around the duodendron. So I started researching it & went to a seminar. I started the long process of approval a month later. I have been off insulin now for over 2 months through diet & exercise and have relost all but 5 lbs of what I gaines back. I know the cycle of diabetes is to become more & more insulin resistant. Currently, I am at 40 carbs per day for control. I know without the surgery,  I'll have to keep decreasing the carbs even more until I am forced back on insulin. 

I should add my brother died in his sleep from diabetes complications at just 7 years older than I am now, so I am fearful of going to sleep. Also, my brother in law, who is 10 years older than me is struggling to save his foot & leg. I also had my own diabetic ulcer on my foot that was difficult to treat. The weight loss will be great, but diabetes is my motivator.

Diabetes is indeed a powerful motivator. It runs heavily on my husbands side of the family and mine as well. My mom is 80 years old with diabetes and we have yet to get hers under control.  I wish you much luck with the surgery and good job controlling it with diet thus far.

Welcome to TTF @TK Hops! I'd say you have plenty of motivation and are off to a great start. I look forward to the victory reports and following your progress!

welcome! my son's birthday is january 8th, so the universe dictates you will have an easy surgery and recovery!! 

welcome to thinner times!

Welcome to the forum!! I'm a (formerly insulin dependent) diabetic in remission. This surgery is wonderful for getting and keeping your blood sugar under control! My A1C was 10.4 when I started my journey, and the last labs I had done it was 4.5. Follow your plan, and you will be able to get your numbers under control...and regain good health!

On 11/22/2017 at 1:50 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

@TK Hops

Well that's pretty powerful stuff. I'd be motivated too. For whatever reasons I think people like you with a very specific goal do very very well with WLS. 

@NerdyLady also had diabetes and if I recall correctly, she was on 3 or 4 drugs... and still not under good control. She has now posted that she is off all diabetes meds now with normal glucose and A1c readings. 

@TK Hops @BurgundyBoy is correct. I have Type 2 diabetes and I am in remission. The main reason I made the decision to go forward with WLS was to put my diabetes in remission. I was on 3-4 types of insulin and diabetes drugs. I had become resistant to insulin and was injecting myself too many times to count. 

I am happy to say that I have not taken insulin since day 9 postop. The day of my surgery, my A1c was almost 11. Today it’s holding steady at 5.3. I do not regret WLS for one second. If I had to do it all over again, I’d do it sooner. 

Edited by NerdyLady