Lauraw96

Anyone With Aetna Insurnace

Hi Guys, so I have Aetna with my work and they are asking me for a $500 copay. Does anyone know what happens if I can’t come up with that? My mom says that they should work with me and I can pay what I can and then they will bill me the rest ... is that true ? Has anyone experienced this ? 

Co-pays usually are not made to the insurer (Aetna in your case), but instead to the doctor or hospital providing the medical treatment. The co-pay payment usually is made just before you receive services.  If you truly cannot pay the $500, you may want to contact the doctor or hospital in advance to see if they have a program to waive, spread out or reduce co-pays for people who cannot afford them.

Is that copay for the Dr or the hospital? If I were you I would check with the one that you need to pay and ask this question. I don't have Aetna but I will have a deductible for the hospital. I was told it has to be paid in advance. That is not to say that if I did not have the entire amount they wouldn't bill me. I think that they may all be different in this regard.

Just now, Res Ipsa said:

Co-pays usually are not made to the insurer (Aetna in your case), but instead to the doctor or hospital providing the medical treatment. The co-pay payment usually is made just before you receive services.  If you truly cannot pay the $500, you may want to contact the doctor or hospital in advance to see if they have a program to waive, spread out or reduce co-pays for people who cannot afford them.

You know what they say about great minds and all............................ ;)

Thanks everyone ! I guess I will see at my hospital pre op this Monday 

I had my surgery at the same hospital as you, and my copay was the same amount. They told me I could pay it at my pre-op appointment (I did that) or the day of surgery. They didn't give me any other options, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Be ready for them to do both blood and urine tests (so be hydrated!).