Lauraw96

Sleeve Surgery Newbie

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

My name is Laura, I am 21 years old and I am getting my surgery on November 29th, I go to see Dr. Callery for my pre-op appointment today.. I am nervous for my weigh in, I have been trying very hard but have failed a couple times already with my diet :( But when I first started with Dr. Callery I was 322 pounds, I weighed myself this morning and i am 313. He wants me to be at 310 for surgery, less than 2 weeks to get there so I am very nervous! I am also nervous for the surgery itself, having a lot of anxiety about it. Has anyone experienced complications? Does Dr. Callery make you have a catheter for the sleeve surgery? Thanks for anything you can tell me to help ease my mind lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Thinner Times Laura and congratulations on dropping those first pesky pounds.  You're in great hands with our Dr. Callery.

Can't help on the catheter I'm afraid - hopefully one of his patients can help but you can always put a call into his office about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Laura! I had sleeve surgery with Dr. Callery on May 31. My weight was 320 in March, and it's now 217. Hooray! No catheter! No complications! I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Laura, normal to have butterflies. Everyone does. Just let your HEAD rule your actions, not your fears.  You can do 3 lbs. 

Complications occur but are uncommon. Had a sleeve in March, no complications. My BMI (was > 38) now is high 26 with a goal of being < 25. Best thing I have ever done. Normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar markers, no sleep apnea, back pains all gone, much faster cyclist, and my wife is bedazzled by my svelte self. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Gretta!!! That is awesome ! Thank you so much!!! Made me feel better. I will definitely let you know if I need help :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BurgundyBoy! Wow thank you that’s awesome, can’t wait to look and feel good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and congrats on your weight loss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you're doing great on your weight loss already! I bet you can do 3 more pounds in the next couple weeks, particularly if you do any sort of pre-op diet. My pre-op diet isn't even liquids only (I can have meat and veggies, mostly), and I lost 10 pounds in about 11 days. I obviously can't say for sure, but I doubt 1 or 2 pounds away from the goal they gave you won't cancel your surgery, either. Do your best, but don't stress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, Laura!! Congrats on your pre op weight loss so far :) You can do 3 pounds in 10 days! Drop all the white carbs from your diet...only eat veggie carbs, maybe a little fruit if absolutely necessary. Nerves are completely normal, but try not to let it rule your life. Some people have complications, but they are usually post op nausea or some minor pain at the incision sites. I don't even know if you'd call those complications, lol. I didn't have a catheter with my surgery, but idk what your surgeon's protocol is. Even if you need one, try not to worry. They aren't bad. I've had them during several other surgeries. Hang in there...you'll be there before you know it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 8:49 AM, Lauraw96 said:

Hi all,

 

My name is Laura, I am 21 years old and I am getting my surgery on November 29th, I go to see Dr. Callery for my pre-op appointment today.. I am nervous for my weigh in, I have been trying very hard but have failed a couple times already with my diet :( But when I first started with Dr. Callery I was 322 pounds, I weighed myself this morning and i am 313. He wants me to be at 310 for surgery, less than 2 weeks to get there so I am very nervous! I am also nervous for the surgery itself, having a lot of anxiety about it. Has anyone experienced complications? Does Dr. Callery make you have a catheter for the sleeve surgery? Thanks for anything you can tell me to help ease my mind lol.

Laura, welcome....you are surgery buddies with Delilia!!!  She's having hers the same day as yours!  Anyway, not sure what he told you about a catheter, but if it is an "indwelling urinary catheter" (indwelling means they insert it into your bladder, then fill a tiny balloon filled with water to inflate it slightly so it doesn't slide out)...anyway, if that is what he is talking about,  let me put your mind at ease.  I have inserted many (it is a "sterile" procedure because they don't want to introduce any bacteria into the bladder), and I have also received them.  They aren't uncomfortable at all, it just sometimes weirds people out thinking about it.  However let me assure you that they insert one for EVERY surgery in which you are under general anesthesia....and be glad they did, you don't want to piddle on the table (not that you'd know bc you'd be asleep).  They wait until you are in the surgery suite and are on the table and anesthesia has been administered.  They do this for a couple of reasons, one is it needs to be a sterile procedure and you are in a sterile field at that point, and also because it causes less stress on the patient.  In most cases it stays in place in recovery and be thankful, because you will be too in and out of it to go to the bathroom and they have filled you with IV fluids so even though you hadn't had anything to drink all night/day,  you will have a full bladder.  Most likely you won't even notice (it hangs down from your bed, out of sight, out of mind as it were).  Even if someone were to visit you in recovery, they'd most likely not even notice it (and frankly, if they did, it is just urine....and everyone urinates, it is sealed in a bag, so there is no odor or anything to be grossed out about).  Later on in the day, when you are ready to get up, they will take out the catheter, which is pretty easy, they use a syringe (like a needle but with no point on the end) and attach it to a tube on the catheter that leads to that tiny balloon of water holding it in, and they withdraw the water and the catheter tube will gently slip out.  There is no pain associated with it....you most likely won't feel it or if you do, it is very minor sliding feeling.  Then they toss it, get you up and it is up to you to urinate on your own.  I couldn't get up the first night because I was having vertigo so I was glad I had the bag in, and it stayed in until the next day when I could get up.  I didn't think about it but even if I did, I didn't care as there was no discomfort.  I know you are young and my 18 yr old daughter or even my 33 year old daughter would both be freaking out having to have a catheter in, but trust me, it really is a very minor but necessary thing and it shouldn't worry you. :) 

I didn't have any complications or anything afterwards that went wrong just the normal stuff post op (not many people do...it is a very common, routine surgery) but you will be uncomfortable so use the pain meds they give you (a lot of ppl have a morphine pump and you have control of pushing it every 6 mins to get pain med constantly delivered to you through your IV which is a very fast way to get it to work).  If they give you an abdominal binder, use it  as it is very helpful in supporting your abdomen so it doesn't pull on the small incisions.  You wouldn't need it if you have a tight flat belly, but seriously, we all have big jiggly bodies or we wouldn't be candidates for the surgery, and excess fat/skin on the belly does pull away by simple gravity so if they offer you one, use it.  I am 13 days post op and have mine on right this minute! :)  I don't sleep with it anymore (I air out my closed up incisions) but I wear it when I am walking around or need support.

My advice would be to not go looking for horror stories on the internet.  Once you are committed to this, then set your mind on a positive mindset and just look forward to the new you!  I refused to read any what ifs? once I committed, I just didn't want to worry unnecessarily.  Plus my feeling was, if there was an issue, my dr would work with me to resolve it, that is there job and they are darned good at it! 

I had a cousin get bypass when she was 26....everyone told her she was too young but she said "I am clearly never going to get a husband at this size and I don't want to just wait around watching all of my friends have lives while I am so heavy"....she had it and about 2 yrs later got married to a great guy and she wore a gorgeous size 10 dress....and that was 15 yrs ago and she kept it off!  So I applaud you for doing this while you are young and not listening to everyone saying you're too young....embrace it and run with it and you've got a definite advantage over some of us oldies here....you have youth, energy and younger skin on your side....you'll probably recover faster than the rest of us did :)

I have been dubbed the unofficial cheerleader of the November Newbies gang....we have so many members getting surgery this month and since I was the first, I took on the job of cheering us on....so feel free to ask any questions of me or any of us...there is a whole lot of wisdom here and you will be MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL if you hang around, read, ask, post and participate.  You will become a sleeve expert in no time!!!!  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CJireh said:

they insert one for EVERY surgery in which you are under general anesthesia

I had a different surgeon, but I did not have a catheter.  So perhaps this too depends on your surgeon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TammyP said:

I had a different surgeon, but I did not have a catheter.  So perhaps this too depends on your surgeon.

that is odd, Tammy, do you think yoo had one and didn't know it bc they pulled it out after surgery?  It is possible to do surgery without it but they usually do use one.  I had one for my GB surgery and didn't know it, I was just showering a day or two later and wondering what the tape adhesive junk was on my leg, then I realized they had taped one on and I hadn't even known it bc I was asleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TammyP said:

I had a different surgeon, but I did not have a catheter.  So perhaps this too depends on your surgeon.

I didn't have one either. My surgeon specifically told me she wasn't going to insert a catheter and instructed me to empty my bladder right before surgery. I don't see why she would tell me that and then do differently and not mention it post-op

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CJireh said:

Laura, welcome....you are surgery buddies with Delilia!!!  She's having hers the same day as yours!  Anyway, not sure what he told you about a catheter, but if it is an "indwelling urinary catheter" (indwelling means they insert it into your bladder, then fill a tiny balloon filled with water to inflate it slightly so it doesn't slide out)...anyway, if that is what he is talking about,  let me put your mind at ease.  I have inserted many (it is a "sterile" procedure because they don't want to introduce any bacteria into the bladder), and I have also received them.  They aren't uncomfortable at all, it just sometimes weirds people out thinking about it.  However let me assure you that they insert one for EVERY surgery in which you are under general anesthesia....and be glad they did, you don't want to piddle on the table (not that you'd know bc you'd be asleep).  They wait until you are in the surgery suite and are on the table and anesthesia has been administered.  They do this for a couple of reasons, one is it needs to be a sterile procedure and you are in a sterile field at that point, and also because it causes less stress on the patient.  In most cases it stays in place in recovery and be thankful, because you will be too in and out of it to go to the bathroom and they have filled you with IV fluids so even though you hadn't had anything to drink all night/day,  you will have a full bladder.  Most likely you won't even notice (it hangs down from your bed, out of sight, out of mind as it were).  Even if someone were to visit you in recovery, they'd most likely not even notice it (and frankly, if they did, it is just urine....and everyone urinates, it is sealed in a bag, so there is no odor or anything to be grossed out about).  Later on in the day, when you are ready to get up, they will take out the catheter, which is pretty easy, they use a syringe (like a needle but with no point on the end) and attach it to a tube on the catheter that leads to that tiny balloon of water holding it in, and they withdraw the water and the catheter tube will gently slip out.  There is no pain associated with it....you most likely won't feel it or if you do, it is very minor sliding feeling.  Then they toss it, get you up and it is up to you to urinate on your own.  I couldn't get up the first night because I was having vertigo so I was glad I had the bag in, and it stayed in until the next day when I could get up.  I didn't think about it but even if I did, I didn't care as there was no discomfort.  I know you are young and my 18 yr old daughter or even my 33 year old daughter would both be freaking out having to have a catheter in, but trust me, it really is a very minor but necessary thing and it shouldn't worry you. :) 

I didn't have any complications or anything afterwards that went wrong just the normal stuff post op (not many people do...it is a very common, routine surgery) but you will be uncomfortable so use the pain meds they give you (a lot of ppl have a morphine pump and you have control of pushing it every 6 mins to get pain med constantly delivered to you through your IV which is a very fast way to get it to work).  If they give you an abdominal binder, use it  as it is very helpful in supporting your abdomen so it doesn't pull on the small incisions.  You wouldn't need it if you have a tight flat belly, but seriously, we all have big jiggly bodies or we wouldn't be candidates for the surgery, and excess fat/skin on the belly does pull away by simple gravity so if they offer you one, use it.  I am 13 days post op and have mine on right this minute! :)  I don't sleep with it anymore (I air out my closed up incisions) but I wear it when I am walking around or need support.

My advice would be to not go looking for horror stories on the internet.  Once you are committed to this, then set your mind on a positive mindset and just look forward to the new you!  I refused to read any what ifs? once I committed, I just didn't want to worry unnecessarily.  Plus my feeling was, if there was an issue, my dr would work with me to resolve it, that is there job and they are darned good at it! 

I had a cousin get bypass when she was 26....everyone told her she was too young but she said "I am clearly never going to get a husband at this size and I don't want to just wait around watching all of my friends have lives while I am so heavy"....she had it and about 2 yrs later got married to a great guy and she wore a gorgeous size 10 dress....and that was 15 yrs ago and she kept it off!  So I applaud you for doing this while you are young and not listening to everyone saying you're too young....embrace it and run with it and you've got a definite advantage over some of us oldies here....you have youth, energy and younger skin on your side....you'll probably recover faster than the rest of us did :)

I have been dubbed the unofficial cheerleader of the November Newbies gang....we have so many members getting surgery this month and since I was the first, I took on the job of cheering us on....so feel free to ask any questions of me or any of us...there is a whole lot of wisdom here and you will be MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL if you hang around, read, ask, post and participate.  You will become a sleeve expert in no time!!!!  Good luck!

Thanks so much ❤️ You have def made me feel better!!! At my pre op with my surgeon he verified with me that I won’t have a catheter or a drain!!! So that put my mind at ease. And yes I def have had those ppl being negative. But it’s my decision and what’s best for me. I have an amazing man who loves me and all my rolls but we want to have a baby and I have PCOS /: that is my motivation to get surgery. Thanks all for sharing ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lauraw96 said:

Thanks so much ❤️ You have def made me feel better!!! At my pre op with my surgeon he verified with me that I won’t have a catheter or a drain!!! So that put my mind at ease. And yes I def have had those ppl being negative. But it’s my decision and what’s best for me. I have an amazing man who loves me and all my rolls but we want to have a baby and I have PCOS /: that is my motivation to get surgery. Thanks all for sharing ! 

That's good that your mind is at ease....and the cousin I was talking about, also has PCOS...and losing weight definitely helped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @Lauraw96!!! I have no doubt that you will make the goal your surgeon has set for you! You have a lot of victories ahead of you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now