PUNK-RIOT

MASSACHUSETTS or ONLINE ANYWHERE BUDDY

Meeting with a surgeon in January,  I'd like to meet someone that is pre-op but close like i am. Or even a post op buddy. I would really just like to chat with some people about this life altering step I'm about to take. I'm a really good compassionate listener. Let's see if we click? 

33 female/single mom

5 ft 5 in

305lbs

Mass

Motivated 

OK. Relax. I’m local and am here to help. There are others like me (us Mass people support each other).  It is going to be fine. I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. What are your concerns?

Thanks for responding. I'm just looking for some good ppl. I don't really know anyone who's had the surgery, nor do I personally have support going through this... I'd  really just like to connect to people for general chat/friendship.

I'm in eastern MA and I just had mine in early September!  I've blogged pretty extensively about my experience so far, if you want to check it out, or I'm just as happy to answer any specific questions you may have, or just be a hand-holder/cheerleader.  :)  

Hi @PUNK-RIOT

Lots and lots of us around who have had surgery in MA, and even better yet, MA has good surgeons and surgical teams. 

If your BMI is 50 then your risks of bad stuff is pretty high even though you are 33 - those risks (severe hypertension, strokes, diabetes, heart failure, joint problems, sleep apnea, cancers) far outweigh the one-time risks of surgery. Weight loss surgery (WLS) is now as low risk as elective gall bladder removal. With surgery you trade a low risk procedure to replace a high-risk future. People pretty reliably lose most of their excess weight, and maybe 20% of people lose all of their excess weight... but people who lose just half their excess weight are still reducing their health risks a huge amount, way more than just 50% (the risks get exponentially high as your weight goes up). Unless you sit around and eat bags of potato chips all day after surgery you will reliably lose weight and your health will improve. 

Plus you will look and feel better and most people gain huge confidence and better self-image. 

There are online calculators (good ones) where you input your age, any medical conditions, weight, gender, etc and look at your expected lifespan. I'm 62; my 'expected' lifespan lengthened out from 75 to the low 90s. If you are a single mom then you (statistically) will not be around for your children or grandchildren without losing weight. Just the facts. 

I'm ecstatic I had the surgery. So is my family.

There are days my head tells me I wish I could eat more but there are no days no body tells me it wishes it could eat more. A lot of this is learning how to eat well and healthily and moderately after surgery.  We carry our past with us, and so you will have to learn new habits that don''t include eating a pizza when you are stressed. Not that you could because your capacity to overeat goes down. 

One of the great things, (if you have ever lost weight in the past and then regained it, this will resonate with you) is that after surgery there is an absence of hunger. So what if you are eating less? No hunger. this is what defeats so many people with diets, which almost always fail. 

On 11/15/2017 at 6:11 PM, PUNK-RIOT said:

Meeting with a surgeon in January,  I'd like to meet someone that is pre-op but close like i am. Or even a post op buddy. I would really just like to chat with some people about this life altering step I'm about to take. I'm a really good compassionate listener. Let's see if we click? 

33 female/single mom

5 ft 5 in

305lbs

Mass

Motivated 

*Waiving hello*

I’m in Eastern Mass and had RNY in April. I’ve lost 81 lbs and my life has dramatically changed. My T2 diabetes is in remission, sleep apnea has resolved itself and most importantly, I’m able to keep up with my toddler. 

Around this time last year, I called St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, MA. I mustered up my courage and asked them for an appointment. Turns out I had called ten years earlier and never showed up for my appointment. Had I moved ahead with that appointment, I might have saved myself years of physical suffering. You are young and have a long life ahead of you. Take a chance on yourself and have WLS. No one around here will sugarcoat the reality of WLS. It is hard. The hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It is worth every second of struggle. 

I hope you have a successful appointment with your surgeon. I don’t know what hospital you are visiting but I had a positive experience at Tufts Medical Center. I did not have surgery at Tufts because of  insurance reasons. However, if you are shopping around for a hospital, give them a call. 

Come back often with questions, concerns or general freakouts. :)