tjs1987

Post Surgery Plateau

Hi there! This is my first time posting so please forgive me if this is a silly question!

I had gastric bypass 4 weeks ago tomorrow and while I've had a great recovery and no complications as of yet, I've been plateauing already for the last two weeks! 

The first two weeks after surgery I dropped 22 lbs, and the last two weeks I've been kind of teetering on two lbs up and down but never really losing anything more.

My surgeons office said this is normal but I'd kind of love to hear others experiences with it. I know my body is probably in a state of shock right now as I'm still on my soft foods diet, and I know 22lbs down is great, but man what a mind game this is already!

Welcome! As long as you're following your program, don't worry about it. You're normal. Try to weigh yourself less frequently this early out. Search the word "stall" here, and you'll find lots of people having short breaks in their weight loss who go on to reach their goal weights just fine. Your body is healing. If you're following your program, the weight loss will come.

Edited by Gretta

Hang in there. 22 lbs is a lot for anyone in a month, let alone 2 weeks. Some of us have had stalls in the first month too. Just adhere to your plan, it works!

Post your intakes here if you want people to comment or give their two cents... remembering this REALLY is a head game. 

You guys are great, thank you! So far I’ve really only had soup, cottage cheese, bananas, scrambled eggs, zucchini, string cheese and some soft potato pieces. Maybe 600 calories a day at the very very most! I’ll keep trying to be patient. 

Thats good to know that they’re called “stalls”. I will look it up. Like I said I expected it, just not so soon. 

15 hours ago, tjs1987 said:

You guys are great, thank you! So far I’ve really only had soup, cottage cheese, bananas, scrambled eggs, zucchini, string cheese and some soft potato pieces. Maybe 600 calories a day at the very very most! I’ll keep trying to be patient. 

Thats good to know that they’re called “stalls”. I will look it up. Like I said I expected it, just not so soon. 

The bananas, potatoes may have more carbos than your body needs to keep up the fast weight loss from ketosis. MAYBE if you switched up those carbos for more protein your stall would end. 

Having said that.... 600 calories is NOT very much and some people find that they stall when their body thinks they are in the midst of a famine - and perhaps paradoxically, upping their calories a little bit leads to more weight loss. Lots of people posting on the Forum in the past have suggested more focus on protein, a bit more exercise, more fluids are nearly always helpful in a stall ...

Everyone just has to figure this out on their own... your body, your circumstances are different than others. But you do get to be pretty expert on yourself! Good luck with this. 

Just keep following your plan and it'll start up again. Your body is just trying to heal and figure out what on earth is happening. In two weeks, you lost more than I did in my first month, so you're doing just fine :) It's hard to be patient when each and every day it feels like you should see progress on the scale, but it will kick into gear soon and all start adding up. I've lost an average of 3 pounds a week during my active losing phase, and that hasn't gone smoothly, like exactly 3 pounds every week. More like 5 or 6 some weeks and 1 or 2 some weeks. If you're not tracking your weight on something that will show you a graph, you should - it helps to see the downward trend line. My Fitness Pal does that (but it also does food and exercise tracking), as does My Weight (really just for weight tracking), and even a good old Excel spreadsheet will work. 

Best of luck - you've got some exciting times ahead!

Yup, as difficult as it is to hear, stalls are normal. A lot of us on here hit stalls a few times throughout our journey. Just stick with your diet and you'll pull out of it.

I only weighed every other week early out.  I never noticed the dreaded stall.  I knew I would be discouraged.  

You are doing really good in looking at your stats you are almost in the century club!  And welcome!

Stalls are normal for anyone - WLS or not tjs1987.  If you charted your loss on a weekly basis (or whatever),  the end result would look like a set of stairs with plateaus and drops.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:16 PM, tjs1987 said:

So far I’ve really only had soup, cottage cheese, bananas, scrambled eggs, zucchini, string cheese and some soft potato pieces.

HI, what @BurgundyBoy said above is correct, at this stage and so early out, carbs are just as important to watch. The bananas and potatoes possibly sound like a bit much right now, sugar and carb wise. Did your team give you a specific manual or diet plan that you were supposed to follow?

A stall at the 2-4 week mark is typical though.

5 hours ago, Michael_A said:

HI, what @BurgundyBoy said above is correct, at this stage and so early out, carbs are just as important to watch. The bananas and potatoes possibly sound like a bit much right now, sugar and carb wise. Did your team give you a specific manual or diet plan that you were supposed to follow?

A stall at the 2-4 week mark is typical though.

Really? Even though I'm getting between 4-600 calories a day, a banana is going to stop me from losing weight? My dietician gave me a list saying potatoes and bananas are okay at this stage. I've even double checked and she's saying that shouldn't matter at this point since my calories are so low. Ah! I don't know what to do. At this point being on soft foods and not even being able to have salad or chicken, anything other than cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and protein shakes is such a relief!

12 minutes ago, tjs1987 said:

Really? Even though I'm getting between 4-600 calories a day, a banana is going to stop me from losing weight? My dietician gave me a list saying potatoes and bananas are okay at this stage. I've even double checked and she's saying that shouldn't matter at this point since my calories are so low. Ah! I don't know what to do. At this point being on soft foods and not even being able to have salad or chicken, anything other than cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and protein shakes is such a relief!

Well, in the long run you will certainly lose weight on 400-600 calories a day. With your body screaming, kicking, fighting all the way since it thinks you are going to die from starvation. And after it has decided to go into some weird low metabolic rate state so you will die less quickly. Clearly our metabolic rates get SEVERELY messed with after surgery! We lose weight despite our caloric restriction messing with our metabolic weight. 

Just to make the point about short term weights or lack of weight loss Not Making Sense: just run through this with me:

you've been stalled for 2 weeks at the same weight despite that tiny intake. Um, let's see, let's assume you need 2000 calories a day to maintain 200 lbs; you weigh 400, so to stay the same weight, you would need 4000 calories; if you are eating 500 calories a day, you are net -3500 a day; 3500 calories = 1 pound; so you should have lost a pound a day over the past 2 weeks. 

But you haven't. But then you did lose 22 lbs over the prior 2 weeks. Which also doesn't make sense, you should have lost at most about a pound a day. 

All this kind of thinking or calculation is the 'on average' approach. Your body will no doubt not have read the instruction manual the surgical practice gave you. Mine apparently read the instructions for bodies from another planet. <_<

Carbs prevent your entry into ketosis, just making the point that carbs could be keeping you from the fat-burning ketosis state you would like to be in if you have stalled. And, sometimes in the face of severe caloric restriction (400-600 a day) other people have found going up a few hundred calories telegraphs their body that the famine is no longer as bad as it was and it's okay to lose some weight now. :P The consistent successful actions are dropping carbs and upping protein, adding a few hundred calories, and adding more exercise. 

Honestly there is nothing magic or critical about losing the weight this week versus next week. If you need the bananas to stay sane - eat 'em. At a certain point your body will admit defeat and you'll break out of your stall. No way you can eat so little and not lose weight with enough time. Just sayin' ...

38 minutes ago, tjs1987 said:

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I would stay away from potatoes and bananas if I were you. If you don't want to give up those two foods forever, I would wait to eat them until you are at goal. Carbs are what made all of us fat. I've learned with carbs, what I eat today I will crave tomorrow. What seems like a 'treat' or 'just a couple of bites' today can easily be the norm within a few days. Your dietician is sort of right - a bite or two of a banana or potato here or there isn't going to have much of an impact on your weight loss. But it is a slippery slope. 

Over the years I've been on TT I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of dieticians/nutritionists. Ones who really get what works and doesn't work for WLS people and ones that don't. My surgeon told me eating a couple of altoids could slow/stop my weight loss. It has been a while since I looked up the carb count but I think it was maybe 2 carbs/mint? I took the advice of my surgeon and her team along with the people on TT who'd gotten to goal and stayed there regarding what to eat over what my nutritionist told me. 

Edited by Stephtay

I seriously had the same problem. lost the same amount of weight after and then after 4 weeks plateu lost 10 more pounds in a week

23 minutes ago, fosteradoptivemomma said:

I seriously had the same problem. lost the same amount of weight after and then after 4 weeks plateu lost 10 more pounds in a week

Oh my gosh thank you so much! I’m kind of hearing this more from support groups and stuff too. Puts my mind at ease. What a crazy thing this surgery is! I didn’t know what to expect but I wish I knew a plateau so soon is fairly normal! 

I have been tracking my weight and measurements since the liquid diet.  I stall every month at the same time for a week to 10 days then I trickle and manage to lose at least 10 lbs so far each month.  I am not stressing over it so much now that I can see a pattern of how my body is working.