I am just about 5 weeks out post-op, and am wrapping up diet restrictions at the end of this week.  I have been slowly introducing foods and that has gone well (except water, which now hurts just about all of the time, so I have replaced that with flavored water ... that has solved that problem!!).  My question is about drinking with meals.  I know having a real full size drink is a no-no, but sometimes find that i have eaten something too spicy or dry, and have to wet it down.  I haven't had any problems because of it but was wondering if it is just me?  Anyone have any other suggestions?  I do often eat with a bit of ranch dressing, or a couple of tablespoons of applesauce to resolve the issue.  But esp. out at restaurants i don't often have that solution.  Should I be concerned?

Edited by ANewChapter17

I have found this rule to be one of the hardest but also soooo important. It's key for us to keep the food in our stomachs rather than flush it out with liquids so that our stomachs send the appropriate fullness signals to our brains and we don't overeat and sabotage success we've worked so hard for. My surgeon claims it (waiting 30 minutes to drink after a meal) is one of the top three keys to success for his patients, so I always try to keep that in mind. Keeping food moist (cooking things covered, using a slow cooker), adding salsa, having moist vegetables with your meal (some even do fruit, but watch that sugar intake), all help. It looks like you've already been using good tricks of your own. When eating out, try to order things that are difficult for the kitchen to dry out. At 5 weeks out, it's so great you're incorporating this rule pretty well already. My program didn't have us start following the rule until 6 weeks out since it can be a challenge just to stay hydrated in the beginning. We can do it! It's a small price to pay for great success.

Edited by Gretta

12 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I have found this rule to be one of the hardest but also soooo important. It's key for us to keep the food in our stomachs rather than flush it out with liquids so that our stomachs send the appropriate fullness signals to our brains and we don't overeat and sabotage success we've worked so hard for. My surgeon claims it (waiting 30 minutes to drink after a meal) is one of the top three keys to success for his patients, so I always try to keep that in mind. Keeping food moist (cooking things covered, using a slow cooker), adding salsa, having moist vegetables with your meal (some even do fruit, but watch that sugar intake), all help. It looks like you've already been using good tricks of your own. When eating out, try to order things that are difficult for the kitchen to dry out. At 5 weeks out, it's so great you're incorporating this rule pretty well already. My program didn't have us start following the rule until 6 weeks out since it can be a challenge just to stay hydrated in the beginning. We can do it! It's a small price to pay for great success.

I think Gretta has said this well. I was a slacker and didn't do this early on - anyone can lose weight early on even with sloppy habits - which was a mistake. Now I find it is one of the most important things I can do on a daily basis. In my surgical practice group sessions people talk about having a tiny sip when food is dry... but then never ordering that food again! Some of the people there are real masters of this, and I really take them at their word - some are more than 10 years out and slim and svelte and healthy. 

Six months out and I can only eat about two ounces at a time. If I make the mistake of drinking something on top of this I end up hurting and usually throwing up. That new kind of post VSG throw up that I have now. On the plus side of this it is a great deterrent. 

I agree with Greta.  I often order salsa on the side.  One of my go to meals when eating out is fajitas.  I can easily douse it in salsa.  I also need to avoid extra grease so I usually order it with no additional oil or grease added so sometimes it does come dry.  

4 hours ago, Dvldog760 said:

Six months out and I can only eat about two ounces at a time. If I make the mistake of drinking something on top of this I end up hurting and usually throwing up. That new kind of post VSG throw up that I have now. On the plus side of this it is a great deterrent. 

2 or 3 ounces is your new normal for the rest of your life if you stay with the plan -- it does take a very long time to sink in and I still struggle with it coming up on 5 years in March. That said, I NEVER want to go back to where I was.

Edited by tmcgee

I agree with what everyone here has already said - no drinking is super important! If you've had something spicy, that Ranch or some sour cream or something else dairy should counteract it. 

Here's a video that shows why this is so important: 

9 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I agree with what everyone here has already said - no drinking is super important! If you've had something spicy, that Ranch or some sour cream or something else dairy should counteract it. 

Jen, I love this video! Thank you for posting it!

Welcome to Thinner Times ANewChapter17.

I often get incredibly thirsty during meal times but having a couple of slices of fruit, pieces of melon, a few grapes to end my meal with sorts that out.  But as you're so early out, a few pieces of fruit from Dole Fruit Bowls® in 100% juice might be the way to go (do not drink the juice until later).

the no drinking rule has become my normal. i have, on rare occasion, or if i'm just knowingly being naughty, had a sip of something after eating something salty.  for example, pms rage peanut butter pretzel nuggets- i don't buy them anymore. but if i had a few of those, my mouth was so dry that i had to sip water. i don't eat them anymore so no more breaking that rule. 

it truly can become second nature with practice. if you had told me 2 years ago that i wouldn't eat sweets anymore and don't crave them anymore? i would have asked you how long you've been smoking crack.  there was no way i would believe it.  here i am, almost 2 years out- no sweets, no drinking with meals. you can do it. give yourself some time and take to heart the wise advice you've been given here! xo

3 hours ago, bellamoma said:

the no drinking rule has become my normal. i have, on rare occasion, or if i'm just knowingly being naughty, had a sip of something after eating something salty.  for example, pms rage peanut butter pretzel nuggets- i don't buy them anymore. but if i had a few of those, my mouth was so dry that i had to sip water. i don't eat them anymore so no more breaking that rule. 

it truly can become second nature with practice. if you had told me 2 years ago that i wouldn't eat sweets anymore and don't crave them anymore? i would have asked you how long you've been smoking crack.  there was no way i would believe it.  here i am, almost 2 years out- no sweets, no drinking with meals. you can do it. give yourself some time and take to heart the wise advice you've been given here! xo

Thanks for saying this, @bellamoma. I think sometimes those of us who are closer to our surgery dates than you are wonder if this lifestyle is sustainable. You show us it is. I like how you just don't buy pb pretzel nuggets anymore - the most direct way to deal with a food that seems to cause problems.

This is why I'm here. To learn from you guys :) 

15 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

LOL....I was just looking for this video to post it!  I had not read down far enough in the thread to see you did it already. :)

Anyhow - I too struggled with the no drinking while/before/after eating.  I have to say, once I viewed this video, something "clicked" for me.  That rule now makes complete sense.  If the food rushes through me, pushed faster by liquids, I Will Get Hungry sooner!  It seems too simplistic - but this video rocked my world. :D

Edited by TammyP

8 hours ago, TammyP said:

LOL....I was just looking for this video to post it!  I had not read down far enough in the thread to see you did it already. :)

Anyhow - I too struggled with the no drinking while/before/after eating.  I have to say, once I viewed this video, something "clicked" for me.  That rule now makes complete sense.  If the food rushes through me, pushed faster by liquids, I Will Get Hungry sooner!  It seems too simplistic - but this video rocked my world. :D

I hadn't absolutely the same gut reaction to the video - like, it's not a "rule," it's a reason. And a way to avoid getting hungry faster and defeating my surgery :) 

@Jen581791 happy to help. it's strange to me that i'm now "further out", but i guess i am! in some ways i feel like a newbie and in others i feel like the big me was a lifetime ago.  i am defintely still learning as I go, with the help of folks here who are even further out.  I learned from others here that if it's not in your house, you can't eat it. we all have our achilles heel, i don't think there's any shame in recognizing that and removing the source of trouble.  not only do my trigger foods have no real nutritional value, but some cause me to break other lifetime rules (like drinking while eating the pb pretzel nuggets).  when i stand back and look at it, i see that it's that ugly cycle that can only lead to undoing the good the surgery has done for me. 

here's a pro tip for those who have not disclosed surgery to others- i always have a glass of water with a straw with my meal. sometimes i pretend to take a sip. then they don't start asking why you never drink with your meals. :P

There are reasons we were given the no drinking rule and vitamin/supplements to take for the rest of our lives.  I know quite a few who have quit taking their vitamins, it just don't make sense to me:/. It will become second nature.  I used to set a timer, I don't anymore but do glance at the clock..

17 hours ago, bellamoma said:

@Jen581791 happy to help. it's strange to me that i'm now "further out", but i guess i am! in some ways i feel like a newbie and in others i feel like the big me was a lifetime ago.  i am defintely still learning as I go, with the help of folks here who are even further out.  I learned from others here that if it's not in your house, you can't eat it. we all have our achilles heel, i don't think there's any shame in recognizing that and removing the source of trouble.  not only do my trigger foods have no real nutritional value, but some cause me to break other lifetime rules (like drinking while eating the pb pretzel nuggets).  when i stand back and look at it, i see that it's that ugly cycle that can only lead to undoing the good the surgery has done for me. 

here's a pro tip for those who have not disclosed surgery to others- i always have a glass of water with a straw with my meal. sometimes i pretend to take a sip. then they don't start asking why you never drink with your meals. :P

Awesome tip. I sometimes feel self conscious when I'm eating out - any tricks you can share are most welcome!

Thanks all for the feedback!  I am still struggling with lots of "new" things so all of the feedback really helps!

On 11/15/2017 at 9:31 AM, bellamoma said:

Great tip. This thread has helped me to not drink at dinner  for the last few days. Thank you all!

I always order a water when out to eat. My husband usually drinks it for me ☺️ and it helps to keep the odd waiter looks to a minimum.

15 hours ago, KMFL28 said:

I always order a water when out to eat. My husband usually drinks it for me ☺️ and it helps to keep the odd waiter looks to a minimum.

Yes, this.  I order water and hubby drinks it!  They never can keep his water filled enough..