Hi. My name is Rob. Im from southeast michigan. I plan on getting rny surgery in December at mclaren port hourn with dr karen mcfarlane.  Im currently waiting insurance approval.  I have mclaren heath advantage insurance.  Thanks

Welcome to TTF and to the start of your new gloriously healthy life!

Welcome aboard! Best group to join for support and questions. Honestly a great group of people. Good luck with everything! 

Welcome to Thinner Times Rob!

Good luck on getting approved. I wanted to do back flips when they said yes! Of course I couldn't, lol not yet anyway. :)

The waiting for approval has been the hardest part. My only concern I had was having a small gain at the end of my six month weight loss.  

I also had a weight gain of 5 lbs actually in the last month as well. Pretty sure the Dr. will put in how much you have lost not gained. Did you gain back everything you lost?

Yes. My first weight was 315. I quit tobacco with chantix during my six months.  The last two montgs my pcp put me on chlorthalid 25 mg for my high blood pressure.  I lost a little at first but put it back on plus some. My last weigh in was nov 1 and I was 321

17 minutes ago, michiganmilkman said:

Yes. My first weight was 315. I quit tobacco with chantix during my six months.  The last two montgs my pcp put me on chlorthalid 25 mg for my high blood pressure.  I lost a little at first but put it back on plus some. My last weigh in was nov 1 and I was 321

But you quit tobacco, that's great!!!!!!

Welcome!

Welcome Rob!  I spent my summers as a kid in Michigan, so I have very warm feelings for your state.

By the way, the primary reason that you are asked to lose weight prior to surgery is that when you lose weight your liver "shrinks" which makes the weight loss surgery safer as there is less risk of the surgeon inadvertently damaging the liver when it is smaller and a bit harder.  

Welcome, Rob. Congrats on starting this process - lots of amazing changes ahead. Good job quitting tobacco. That's no small accomplishment! Hopefully in the lead-up to your surgery, you can start practicing with low-carb food and drop the post-quitting pounds. It's great to try to get the hang of the diet before surgery :) The actual pre-op liver shrinking diet will help out with that, too.

Hi Rob - just reinforcing @Jen581791 and @Res Ipsa's point - the preop stuff helps to get your head around what you'll be doing after surgery. Everyone finds some stuff easy and some stuff more challenging, and better to know ahead of time. ;)

Congrats on quitting smoking. That's tough. 

To comfort you post tobacco quit weight gain, it is completely expected to gain 5-7 lb in the year following quitting.  The reason? The damage done to your entire GI tract while smoking prevented you from absorbing all of your calories. As your GI tract heals, you start absorbing more calories. That, coupled with sometimes swapping snacks vs. a smoke can lead to bigger weight gain. I don't have a source to quote (yet) on this info, but i learned it when i was doing smoking cessation counseling as a nurse.  TL;DR- good for you for kicking the smokes! you're going to be just fine. welcome!

Hello.  I am Donna, I had gastric sleeve surgery 3.5 years ago.  Went from 264 to 188.  I regained up to 204 and now back down to the 188  since I realize I would continue to gain at this stage unless I started excersing.  I am joining this group for continued support and to give support and any insight I have having had the surgery for awhile now.

Edited by Dongirl3

Welcome to Thinner Times Donna!

Congratulations on getting back on track and losing those few pesky pounds and starting to exercise.

Welcome, @Dongirl3!

Welcome, @Dongirl3! You've come to a great place for support, and I hope you'll share some of the wisdom you've earned along the way :) 

hello donna! wow, losing the regain is no easy feat.  so happy you're here to join us and share your journey with us! 

Welcome, @michiganmilkman And @Dongirl3 :) we're glad to have you here!!

Welcome @michiganmilkman and @Dongirl3!!! See you around TTF 

A belated welcome from a fellow Michigander:)