Boho Rosy

Stairs after surgery?

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about my surgery next week, and it occurred to me that I might have some trouble when I get home. I live on the third floor of a walk-up apartment building and climb two flights of stairs. Am I going to be able to handle that ok when I first get home?

Thanks!

Edited by Boho Rosy

5 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about my surgery next week, and it occurred to me that I might have some trouble when I get home. I live on the third floor of a walk-up apartment building and climb two flights of stairs. Am I going to be able to handle that ok when I first get home?

Thanks!

Well, I went up the stairs when I got home yesterday...why? to get to the scale...so it is all a matter of how badly you want to go up! ha!  

It was tough, but if you have handrails and take your time (rest on the landing)...use a binder to hold your abdomen tightly, and take your time.  I recommend having had your pain medicine about a half hour before you attempt it because it will be tender, but you will be able to do it (though I'd keep it to the minimum and make only one trip per day).  Oh and another thing that helped (and didn't extra pull on my abs was to walk up steps like a toddler...one foot up then the other to catch up to it, then the first foot up to the next step and then the other one follows it

Maybe you won't have issues with steps, but I did....not on my legs or anywhere else, just bc it pulled on my abs.

Honestly what it feels like it that you've done 1000 crunches and then got punched in the stomach, so it is a lot of muscular pain on top of slight internal pain.  (my dr gave me Skalexa which is a muscle relaxer)

Edited by CJireh

2 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

My house is a 2 story house built in 1915 so the bed rooms are all upstairs, the living area is on the main floor, the shower and treadmill are in the basement. I've done all of the stairs at least twice today with out any issue. Best of luck with your surgery coming up.

I had no choice... our only bathroom is on the 2nd floor!  I found the stairs were no harder to do after surgery than they had been before.  I never really used my abs for it (possibly because I never HAD abs.... lol!)  

You should do just fine.

While I didn't have that many to do at one time, we have a split entry and had to do half a flight to get into the house.  And I was doing laundry in the basement the next day, so was also carrying dirty clothes down to the basement.  

I didn't have any problem with stairs early post-op either.

I had no real problem with taking the stairs at home after my surgery as long as I took it slow.  

15 hours ago, Boho Rosy said:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

I think you'll be okay if you just take it slow. The 'bad news' is you will have had surgery. The 'good news' is they only do these little tiny incisions now and your belly and back muscles are (mostly) intact. Taking it slow doesn't mean you can't do things as @Cheesehead relates. A lot depends on your status before surgery, and my guess is that if you have been going up and down those stairs to your apartment, you'll still be able to do it just fine! Albeit with maybe a twinge or two from the incision sites. 

I felt great after surgery.  I was bored stiff...just don't overdo it!  My doctor didn't give me limits, just told me to listen to my body.  Which I've also used to apply to my new stomach.  If it's giving off weird feelings or feeling full, I quit eating whatever I am, no more finishing the last bite or two if my stomach is telling me done!  The hardest thing for me was sleeping in a bed, laying flat.  I took pain pills the first couple nights but then I couldn't drive.  I've always been hard to tie down...my dad always said I was born with a go bug!

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. 

Just go slow..

I have been reading a guide for WLS and this s what it says about stairs after surgery.

Climbing stairs is acceptable, but step every few seconds. Don’t carry anything up or down the stairs with you. Driving is not permitted while taking narcotic pain medication.  Lifting is permitted, as long as it is something you can comfortably lift with one arm.

I didn’t end up having any issues with the stairs. In fact, I’ve been up and down a bunch of times since surgery.