Paigetherage

Getting sick before surgery?

Ways to prevent getting sick before surgery, aside from the obvious washing hands, using hand sanitizer and staying away from sick people. My surgery is in December and it’s cold/flu season! Eek, get it away from me! :ph34r:

Edited by Paigetherage
Needed awesome emoticon added

Did you get a flu shot?

I get a flu shot (working in a large daycare I'll take what help I can get)

if I think I'm catching something I take a ton of vitamin C and ziacam.  Haven't been sick in over 5 years!

Paige - check in with your surgeon's office about what you can and cannot take in the run-up to your WLS to try to fend off colds and flu.  And if they do recommend something, be sure to ask when you should stop them.

@Paigetherage, I work with special Ed kids who basically have no hygiene and whatever runs out of their nose or mouths gets on me!  I take vitamin c all of the time BUT at my preop they made me stop it Bc it was "vitamin c with rose hips" so I had to go find vit c with nothing added. (Don't know what rose hips do before surgery but my Dr was against it so I stopped.). They did have me take my chewable adult vitamin (not gummy) which had vit c in it so that helped too (but not  enough for the kids I work with!!!) so I took the chewable multivitamin and in the am and pm the plain vit c. The dr also told me NO airborne/zicam etc!  So, yes check is the dr first. And do get your flu shot now....it takes 4-6 was to get the full effect (but true flu season doesn't hit til end of Jan , beginning of February)....and my dr said if I get it preop it has to be at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. 

Vitamin C!!

I had a flu shot about 6 weeks prior to my surgery and was ill enough that my surgery almost had to be cancelled. Be VERY careful regarding having a shot before surgery. The vaccine we had for the past winter in Australia caused many issues with the newer strain added. I personally know many people who were ill after it this year, all who had never had problems in prior years. Some actually ended up hospitalised as a result of the vaccines. Check with your surgeon's office before you have the vaccine. That said there's no harm in hitting the immunity booster vitamins, and probiotic between now and surgery time.

Like mostly everyone else has said, get a flu shot if you haven't yet. I knew my surgery would be scheduled in Oct. or Nov., so I was scared about getting sick as well. I made sure to get one about 6 weeks ago. 

I go a more homeopathetic route (no flu shot for me personally) so I'd suggest the following: Elderberry syrup. I swear by it. If you can find it, use the tincture (it's more potent than the syrup with less sugar & calories). I love the Nature's Way brand. Also, Zyrtec nasal swabs and boost your zinc and vitamin c intake and make sure you're taking your multivitamin daily so that your immune system is as strong as possible.