Kio

2 months post-op, and all is mostly well!

2 hours ago, Mrs.NA said:

@Gretta thank you for the cyber hugs. As much as I’d like to take your advice I am much more likely to hesitate on professional help. I’m going through old forums looking for information on depression after surgery. Seeing a lot about regrets, but I have no surgical regrets, I just don’t want to be me right now. I love my family, and absolutely want to leave everything else. 

@Mrs.NA, I totally understand how you feel about getting professional help. If you want some company (and perhaps inspiration to get help), here's a link to Milla K's YouTube channel. She lost a bunch of weight with RNY, but plunged into pretty bad depression. She starts talking about her depression, and getting treatment, in her Week 45 video, and does in several videos after that. Her experience with meds has been very positive. She just did an update talking about the importance of meds for her a couple of months ago. https://www.youtube.com/user/Millabee67/videos I hope hearing someone else talk about it will help you.

3 hours ago, Kio said:

@CJireh - I get plain, whole milk greek yogurt, and then I put some stuff in it.  Usually that's a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry preserves, or a tablespoon of applesauce.  The past day or so I've sprinkled in a little sugar-free granola for some texture and fiber.  :)  

I went down many sizes!  Between April of this year and now I've gone from a size 32 to a size 22!  It was kind of stunning when I realized that!  I've also gone from a 3x in tops and dresses to a 1x.  My bra size has also changed - from like a 54 C to a 46 C!  I remind myself of stuff like this when I get a bit down because weight seems to be flowing off everywhere but my midsection.  ;) 

The daydreaming about food - I had that too!  I didn't have any real physical hunger, still don't - but I did reaaaaaalllly want something I could chew or crunch, which I think was more about habit than anything else.  I also got SERIOUSLY TIRED of sweet stuff.  I should have had more broth early on!  

The good news is, you'll be eating real food before you know it.  I think the reason this time period seemed to go so fast for me was that every day got to do something a little different, and every day I reacted to things differently.  So it wasn't like "two weeks of the same thing, followed by two weeks of the same thing, followed by..."  You'll find that the diet suggestions your program gives you will work *sometimes*, and sometimes not - so eating is a constant adventure.  By the time you get the hang of one phase of the post-op diet, it's time to start the next.  And you have great support in your husband!!  That's going to make it all a breeze.  :) 

So far I'm fine with my same old same old. I got used to it the weeks before and I'm not tired of them yet (not saying the day won't come) . I kinda missed how I made the "egg drop soup", just trying for something to eat at the table with the family.....I knew I could have broth and I knew I could have egg whites, so I did my best and came up with something and now I wish I could still have that.  I get so many conflicting rules.....my online chart will say one thing, the dr another, the NUT another and the nurses another....it's darned confusing. The NUT paper said I CAN have cream soup (strained) or tomato soup and I'd love that, but all the others say not until day 14 and I just don't want to mess up. I'm get getting thru these days and can handle the lack of food for now.  I forgot about broth until tonight so it was a nice switch up. 

You've done amazing with clothes sizes!!!  I can't wait!  By January, I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit into regular (not plus) sizes!!!  Did you use up all of the GC from your office yet? (Wasn't it for old navy?) I am looking forward to shopping eventually. I do have lots of stuff from myself and stuff from my SIL so I won't have to go immediately for lots of stuff. New bras will be a pleasure. The ones I have now got too tight but I was refusing to buy new ones knowing I'd be shrinking soon....so that'll be great!

btw, I used to do the SF preserves or applesauce/cinnamon to make cottage cheese more palatable, so I like the idea of it with plain Greek yogurt!  I'm gonna be tapping all of you for food ideas once I get there!

Congrats on having a successful surgery.

my surgeon and nut wound have yelled at me for such low protein. Don’t worry about good fat.

dont count calories. most of us have failed on calorie counting diets.

You really need more protein. Blend in a plain or vanilla Greek yogurt with your shakes. 

I eat a lot of eggs. Hard boiled and then mushed with a little Hellman mayo. I also mix tuna with a hard boiled egg and pickle relish. Make your shakes into pudding for a bed time snack.

Protein is the most important piece of your diet now.

Best

34 minutes ago, Spunkycat said:

my surgeon and nut wound have yelled at me for such low protein. Don’t worry about good fat.

Dang, how many grams of protein were/are you expected to have? My nutritionist wants me getting 60 a day for life.

My Surgeon wanted 50 to 60 grams of protein a day. 

1 hour ago, Spunkycat said:

My Surgeon wanted 50 to 60 grams of protein a day. 

Thanks. I saw her 62 grams protein total on her MyFitnessPal report on the original post and thought that was pretty good!

On 11/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, Mrs.NA said:

@Kio Glad to hear you are doing well. I recently found some of the frozen steamers with simple ingredients that have 28 grams of protein for 190 calories. I'm really enjoying them as a lunch in case you might be interested in giving that a try :)

I am curious where did you get the steamers and what brand is it?  28 grams of protein and only 190 calories sounds great !!

On 11/11/2017 at 6:56 PM, Mrs.NA said:

As far as the food and weight loss goes I’m doing well. I have seemed to suddenly develop an extreme sadness where all I want to do is sit in a dark corner and cry. Hopefully that will pass. 

My therapist had the insight that I needed to mourn a lot of the tragedy, hurt and pain I had had in my life - they contributed to my mind set and over eating. By leaving the over eating behind, perhaps I had lost one of my ways of dealing with the bad stuff. And some of it was really horrible, so it could be pretty depressing. 

Having said that, don't needlessly suffer. There is no honor, no merit, no nobility, no character-building aspect to suffering. It is part of the human condition but both talk therapy and things to correct the chemical imbalances in your brain help. 

<<Empathy>>

1 hour ago, tracyringo said:

I am curious where did you get the steamers and what brand is it?  28 grams of protein and only 190 calories sounds great !!

(For those who don't know, we call small clams here in New England steamers. All those shellfish things are super lo calories and high protein... )

You can also buy already shelled mussels now, frozen - I first saw them in a local Whole Foods but I think they are going more main stream. 3 ozs are only 70 calories and 10 grams of protein. I put them into my fish stock now for a high high protein and liquid meal - delicious!

On 11/9/2017 at 2:21 PM, Kio said:

I can't believe it's been 2 months since surgery!  

I haven't had any complications, very little pain, very little nausea, and I'm firmly in stage 4 (final stage) of my program's diet plan.  That means I could try pretty much whatever I want to try - but in practice I'm finding that there is a pretty limited subset of good-for-me foods that are working for me right now.  Here's a quick glance at a "normal" day's diet:

Capture.PNG.602387e4c5bfddb8aca81be8cb399912.PNG

Critiques and suggestions on that would be welcome!  I'm trying to find ways to increase my protein without greatly increasing fat and carbs, but it's not easy.  I find that right now I'm living mostly on the line between Stage 3 and Stage 4, and my tolerance for most foods is governed by how slowly I eat them and how long I chew them.  Funny, that's just what the program said on the tin!  ;)  I'm usually getting somewhere between 700 and 800 calories a day, and I'm hitting the low end of my protein goal (60-80 a day) pretty consistently.  

As far as weight loss goes, I've lost:

57 lbs (pre-surgery)

17 lbs (month 1)

14 lbs (month 2)

So I'm down 88 lbs since around April of this year, currently at 267; not bad!  I think it probably puts me somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as quick losers/slow losers, and I'm content with that.  Everyone here has been such a great help - thank you all for sharing your knowledge and support, I wouldn't be able to do this without it!

I'm moving around a LOT better (with the exception of this last week, when I benched myself due to a pretty bad cold).  I'm finding walking a lot easier to do, but just as hard to get started - it turns out, I'm basically a lazy person.  ;) But I can make myself exercise when my innate laziness isn't combined with a certainty that any given activity will involve a great deal of pain!  And I do like walking once I'm out there.  (Whether that will continue after there's snow on the ground, I don't know... but I have a treadmill, so I'm set either way!)

One last thing I wanted to mention - what is it with people TALKING to me all the time now?!  Never once in the past 20 years or so have I had to worry that someone in an elevator would decide to chat with me; now I keep having to make small talk.  And the other day in the Apple Store I had to move once, and fake a phone call after that, to get away from chatty people who just came up to me and started talking.  I feel like I may have crossed some heretofore invisible boundary between "gross, stay away" and "motherly", and now everybody wants to tell me all their problems.  I'm a pretty friendly person in general, but usually I've only had to be friendly with people in settings where they kind of had to interact with me.  Now they're doing it willingly - it's really bizarre!

Just another crazy thing to get used to... like having kneecaps and collar bones, I guess... ;) 

Thank you for putting this. I was hoping to see what a typical day for post op looks like. If you don't mind can you estimate around what time each meal took place so I can generate a timeline of how I will do things?  

4 hours ago, Artie said:

Thank you for putting this. I was hoping to see what a typical day for post op looks like. If you don't mind can you estimate around what time each meal took place so I can generate a timeline of how I will do things?  

Sure, I'll try!

My nutritionist wanted me to try to get 3-4 hours between meals.  She also wanted me to try to get most of my protein from food instead of shakes.  Both of those things were not going to be able to happen, since I can't eat enough at each meal to get all my protein in that way.

So I start the day with the protein shake at "breakfast" - usually over the course of two cups of tea mixed in, so breakfast takes about an hour.  I've found I can no longer count on being able to keep a protein shake down if it's not diluted with something else. If I start at 9 (which happens on a good day), I'll be done with breakfast by 10.  Then I'll try to get in 16 ounces of water before lunch.  (Pro-tip on how to get all your water in: at the end of the day, if you haven't gotten all your water in, count your protein shakes too and call the number "fluids!"  :) )

Then at 12:30-1ish, I would have some lunch meat and cheese.  That doesn't take as long as the protein shake, because I'm just generally slow at drinking tea.  After that, another 16 ounces of water or more if I can before dinner.

Dinner, I usually have at around 4ish.  I started off with just haff of one taco shell with beans and cheese, but I've found I can eat both halves with bean and cheese, which ups the protein value of the meal considerably without really doing a lot of harm on carbs.  

After that I usually have several cups of tea, because I'm tea-girl now - it beats decaf coffee, and is easier to make, and much more comforting in winter for me anyway.

Then somewhere in the evening if I get munchy I'll have a snack - almonds, or some string cheese, or maybe some pistachios.

The good news is, this is actually plenty of food for me at this point - two months and change post-op.  I never feel hungry, never feel weak or fatigued or deprived.  It's just... what I eat.  :) 

Good luck to you!  The after part is actually super easy!  It's just the anticipation of the surgery that's hard...

11 minutes ago, Kio said:

Sure, I'll try!

My nutritionist wanted me to try to get 3-4 hours between meals.  She also wanted me to try to get most of my protein from food instead of shakes.  Both of those things were not going to be able to happen, since I can't eat enough at each meal to get all my protein in that way.

So I start the day with the protein shake at "breakfast" - usually over the course of two cups of tea mixed in, so breakfast takes about an hour.  I've found I can no longer count on being able to keep a protein shake down if it's not diluted with something else. If I start at 9 (which happens on a good day), I'll be done with breakfast by 10.  Then I'll try to get in 16 ounces of water before lunch.  (Pro-tip on how to get all your water in: at the end of the day, if you haven't gotten all your water in, count your protein shakes too and call the number "fluids!"  :) )

Then at 12:30-1ish, I would have some lunch meat and cheese.  That doesn't take as long as the protein shake, because I'm just generally slow at drinking tea.  After that, another 16 ounces of water or more if I can before dinner.

Dinner, I usually have at around 4ish.  I started off with just haff of one taco shell with beans and cheese, but I've found I can eat both halves with bean and cheese, which ups the protein value of the meal considerably without really doing a lot of harm on carbs.  

After that I usually have several cups of tea, because I'm tea-girl now - it beats decaf coffee, and is easier to make, and much more comforting in winter for me anyway.

Then somewhere in the evening if I get munchy I'll have a snack - almonds, or some string cheese, or maybe some pistachios.

The good news is, this is actually plenty of food for me at this point - two months and change post-op.  I never feel hungry, never feel weak or fatigued or deprived.  It's just... what I eat.  :) 

Good luck to you!  The after part is actually super easy!  It's just the anticipation of the surgery that's hard...

Thank you! 

Yes I am literally counting down the days. This helped me a lot so I can visualize what my day might look like. 

27 minutes ago, Artie said:

Thank you! 

Yes I am literally counting down the days. This helped me a lot so I can visualize what my day might look like. 

it'll be here before you know it, @Artie!  My time dragged by until I got a date then I had to hold on to my hat so to speak as everything FLEW by....and now I am sitting here 1 week post op!  What is your preop prep consist of?

and @Kio, I'll be eating your menu....in the new year! ha!  I can't wait for that food :)  I am still thinking of the lunchmeat/cheese!  And I would still give anything for that deviled egg you mentioned last week...haha!  But thanks for the info...it helps those of us coming up behind you to be successful too!

Edited by CJireh

4 minutes ago, CJireh said:

it'll be here before you know it, @Artie!  My time dragged by until I got a date then I had to hold on to my hat so to speak as everything FLEW by....and now I am sitting here 1 week post op!  What is your preop prep consist of?

and @Kio, I'll be eating your menu....in the new year! ha!  I can't wait for that food :)  I am still thinking of the lunchmeat/cheese!  And I would still give anything for that deviled egg you mentioned last week...haha!  But thanks for the info...it helps those of us coming up behind you to be successful too!

I haven't started my pre op phase does not start until the 25th of this month where I will begin my liquid diet. 

On 11/13/2017 at 10:12 AM, tracyringo said:

They are called Healthy Choice Simply here is a link http://www.healthychoice.com/simply-cafe-steamers

I’ve found the ones with chicken and veg to be filling and good with that calorie:protein ratio that I love!

On 13/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, Gretta said:

Dang, how many grams of protein were/are you expected to have? My nutritionist wants me getting 60 a day for life.

My dietician had a very severe chat to me about my protien intake this week. She said the standard after bypass is 1g per kilo of weight.....and that is just to maintain current muscle mass. If you are low carbing then you need to add more protien because your body will be burning through some of it for energy. So for me at about 72kg (that's around 160lb I need 72g daily just to maintain existing muscle mass. I need to increase muscle mass currently so my target is around 100g daily at the absolute minimum. Bypassers malabsorb protien as well as everything else they eat.

Edited by Aussie H

On 11/21/2017 at 6:39 AM, Aussie H said:

My dietician had a very severe chat to me about my protien intake this week. She said the standard after bypass is 1g per kilo of weight.....and that is just to maintain current muscle mass. If you are low carbing then you need to add more protien because your body will be burning through some of it for energy. So for me at about 72kg (that's around 160lb I need 72g daily just to maintain existing muscle mass. I need to increase muscle mass currently so my target is around 100g daily at the absolute minimum. Bypassers malabsorb protien as well as everything else they eat.

Thanks, @Aussie H. "More" seems like it's usually the right answer for "How much protein should I be eating?"