On 11/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Lynn74 said:

I was told yesterday that I would have to do a liquid diet for 48 hours before the surgery. 

Just about everyone has this as a minimum... so your intestines don't have any solid food in them at the time of surgery.

My practice did ask me to do a full liquids diet for a 2 day stretch in the month before surgery - so I would be familiar with what that meant in terms of having foods in the house, etc. It was valuable and I did stock up on lots of the appropriate things before surgery based on that education. 

Welcome to thinner times!! I'm really late to the party, as usual, lol. I'm so glad to read that you finally got your approval! You can give a big sigh of relief now :) 

I had to do an 8 week keto diet, and 3 days of clear liquids prior to surgery. Like @BurgundyBoy said, they want to make sure you are cleaned out prior to surgery. 

Its getting close now!! I'm happy for you that it's almost here!

Thank you for all the support! Although my surgery is in 12 days, I am excited, but I do not feel one ounce of anxiety nor fear. It's just been such a long process that I'm just so glad to finally get here. Nearly everyone else at the education class last Wednesday was talking about how they were super nervous. In fact, I was able get my November 30th surgery date because someone got cold feet and backed out. 

I absolutely know the risks and realize fully what's going to take place, but I really have no worries...did anyone else feel this way? 

3 minutes ago, Lynn74 said:

Thank you for all the support! Although my surgery is in 12 days, I am excited, but I do not feel one ounce of anxiety nor fear. It's just been such a long process that I'm just so glad to finally get here. Nearly everyone else at the education class last Wednesday was talking about how they were super nervous. In fact, I was able get my November 30th surgery date because someone got cold feet and backed out. 

I absolutely know the risks and realize fully what's going to take place, but I really have no worries...did anyone else feel this way? 

I felt the same way.... I had butterflies, of course, and a sense of going though a portal that was a one-way commitment... but nah, not worries. 

At the back of my mind was the fact that in the grand scheme, WLS is minor not major surgery, and the stats are fantastic. Plus my surgeon is an A+ surgeon. 

1 hour ago, Lynn74 said:

You're definitely not alone! My surgery is Monday morning and I have yet to feel any worry or nervousness. I know that I have done everything I could do to make this a success: I lost quite a bit of weight, and strengthened my body and my heart through regular exercise; I did my research and understand the risks in general and my personal risk, and have faith in my bariatric team. So I'm just ready to go at this point! :-)

Welcome @Lynn74! I am also in the November Club - I had my surgery this past Wednesday. You will find boundless support and advice here on TT. Looking forward to hearing from you as your journey progresses. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

Yes, I felt this way too. I had done the research and was extremely prepared and didn’t end up feeling nervous much at all. 

Thank you ladies! I felt kind of strange in that class when so many were freaking out and nervous. I told them my only worry was that something would come up and would prevent it from heppening, lol. I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Lynn74 said:

I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

It’s definitely uncomfortable, but walking is very helpful. It gets better each day. Three days out from my surgery and I barely have any gas pain at this point. You’ll get through it and be just fine!

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

Thank you ladies! I felt kind of strange in that class when so many were freaking out and nervous. I told them my only worry was that something would come up and would prevent it from heppening, lol. I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

The experience tends to vary a lot - I was in little pain, just discomfort, and didn't even take any pain meds after I left the hospital (not even Tylenol). I had RNY though, and it sounds like VSG tends to be a bit more painful initially. But again, it all tends to vary.

i hope the rest of the November group does really well! Best of luck to you all! :) 

7 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

That is EXACTLY how I felt before the surgery Lynn!  I knew that surgery was risky going in, so is getting in my car everyday!  I know the risks for me seem far outweighed by the benefits and at that point, i was just so excited to finally be at the surgery stage I was like "BRING IT!"  With that kind of attitude, you will do great my friend!  I didn't read any horror stories prior either....I didn't want to know...I wanted to face my reality w/ my dr who could help me through anything that occurred.  I never got a drop of the CO2 gas which ppl talk of, but it did hurt like I had abdominal surgery, so taking the pain meds when allowed helped and really that first week is rough but it gets better by the day!  I am 12 days post op and feeling pretty good.  All I take now (pain wise) is tylenol....like 2 pills, 3 times a day, that is all!  

6 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

You're definitely not alone! My surgery is Monday morning and I have yet to feel any worry or nervousness. I know that I have done everything I could do to make this a success: I lost quite a bit of weight, and strengthened my body and my heart through regular exercise; I did my research and understand the risks in general and my personal risk, and have faith in my bariatric team. So I'm just ready to go at this point! :-)

I am so excited for you, Kristin, you are going to do SO well Monday! I can't wait to hear the good reports!  You HAVE prepped well and I can tell you will be a smashing success!

12 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Best of luck to you! We've got this! <3

I'm another that had no nerves going into my surgery. I was well prepared and knew my surgeon was because we had a very different path to surgery than most. I was lucky I guess in that I was also under anesthesia within about 15 minutes of being taken into the pre-op area, and I was in that area about 20 minutes after arrival at the hospital. I was also an early morning admission which helps immensely if you're not thinking about it all day while waiting. My only concern was actually whether I'd wake up having had the procedure completed as there was some doubt in my case whether it was going to be possible to complete it. That was the first thing I asked when I came to....and once I knew it was in fact done, I just lay back and relaxed for the rest of the day.

Very unlike my first go around at WLS where I actually made a run for the exit after hospital check-in. They did stop me, and I did have the surgery, but it was very touch and go that time. Best wishes heading into yours. I hope you have as smooth a run as I did.