On 11/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Lynn74 said:

I was told yesterday that I would have to do a liquid diet for 48 hours before the surgery. 

Just about everyone has this as a minimum... so your intestines don't have any solid food in them at the time of surgery.

My practice did ask me to do a full liquids diet for a 2 day stretch in the month before surgery - so I would be familiar with what that meant in terms of having foods in the house, etc. It was valuable and I did stock up on lots of the appropriate things before surgery based on that education. 

Welcome to thinner times!! I'm really late to the party, as usual, lol. I'm so glad to read that you finally got your approval! You can give a big sigh of relief now :) 

I had to do an 8 week keto diet, and 3 days of clear liquids prior to surgery. Like @BurgundyBoy said, they want to make sure you are cleaned out prior to surgery. 

Its getting close now!! I'm happy for you that it's almost here!

Thank you for all the support! Although my surgery is in 12 days, I am excited, but I do not feel one ounce of anxiety nor fear. It's just been such a long process that I'm just so glad to finally get here. Nearly everyone else at the education class last Wednesday was talking about how they were super nervous. In fact, I was able get my November 30th surgery date because someone got cold feet and backed out. 

I absolutely know the risks and realize fully what's going to take place, but I really have no worries...did anyone else feel this way? 

3 minutes ago, Lynn74 said:

Thank you for all the support! Although my surgery is in 12 days, I am excited, but I do not feel one ounce of anxiety nor fear. It's just been such a long process that I'm just so glad to finally get here. Nearly everyone else at the education class last Wednesday was talking about how they were super nervous. In fact, I was able get my November 30th surgery date because someone got cold feet and backed out. 

I absolutely know the risks and realize fully what's going to take place, but I really have no worries...did anyone else feel this way? 

I felt the same way.... I had butterflies, of course, and a sense of going though a portal that was a one-way commitment... but nah, not worries. 

At the back of my mind was the fact that in the grand scheme, WLS is minor not major surgery, and the stats are fantastic. Plus my surgeon is an A+ surgeon. 

1 hour ago, Lynn74 said:

You're definitely not alone! My surgery is Monday morning and I have yet to feel any worry or nervousness. I know that I have done everything I could do to make this a success: I lost quite a bit of weight, and strengthened my body and my heart through regular exercise; I did my research and understand the risks in general and my personal risk, and have faith in my bariatric team. So I'm just ready to go at this point! :-)

Welcome @Lynn74! I am also in the November Club - I had my surgery this past Wednesday. You will find boundless support and advice here on TT. Looking forward to hearing from you as your journey progresses. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

Yes, I felt this way too. I had done the research and was extremely prepared and didn’t end up feeling nervous much at all. 

Thank you ladies! I felt kind of strange in that class when so many were freaking out and nervous. I told them my only worry was that something would come up and would prevent it from heppening, lol. I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

8 minutes ago, Lynn74 said:

I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

It’s definitely uncomfortable, but walking is very helpful. It gets better each day. Three days out from my surgery and I barely have any gas pain at this point. You’ll get through it and be just fine!

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

Thank you ladies! I felt kind of strange in that class when so many were freaking out and nervous. I told them my only worry was that something would come up and would prevent it from heppening, lol. I am, however, dreading the pain and the trapped gas. A friend who was sleeved in February '17 said "the first week after is hell, but it gets better and easier everyday.", so I've told family not to hold any ill moods or words against me for a week or two following the surgery, lol. 

The experience tends to vary a lot - I was in little pain, just discomfort, and didn't even take any pain meds after I left the hospital (not even Tylenol). I had RNY though, and it sounds like VSG tends to be a bit more painful initially. But again, it all tends to vary.

i hope the rest of the November group does really well! Best of luck to you all! :) 

7 hours ago, Lynn74 said:

That is EXACTLY how I felt before the surgery Lynn!  I knew that surgery was risky going in, so is getting in my car everyday!  I know the risks for me seem far outweighed by the benefits and at that point, i was just so excited to finally be at the surgery stage I was like "BRING IT!"  With that kind of attitude, you will do great my friend!  I didn't read any horror stories prior either....I didn't want to know...I wanted to face my reality w/ my dr who could help me through anything that occurred.  I never got a drop of the CO2 gas which ppl talk of, but it did hurt like I had abdominal surgery, so taking the pain meds when allowed helped and really that first week is rough but it gets better by the day!  I am 12 days post op and feeling pretty good.  All I take now (pain wise) is tylenol....like 2 pills, 3 times a day, that is all!  

6 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

You're definitely not alone! My surgery is Monday morning and I have yet to feel any worry or nervousness. I know that I have done everything I could do to make this a success: I lost quite a bit of weight, and strengthened my body and my heart through regular exercise; I did my research and understand the risks in general and my personal risk, and have faith in my bariatric team. So I'm just ready to go at this point! :-)

I am so excited for you, Kristin, you are going to do SO well Monday! I can't wait to hear the good reports!  You HAVE prepped well and I can tell you will be a smashing success!

12 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

Best of luck to you! We've got this! <3

I'm another that had no nerves going into my surgery. I was well prepared and knew my surgeon was because we had a very different path to surgery than most. I was lucky I guess in that I was also under anesthesia within about 15 minutes of being taken into the pre-op area, and I was in that area about 20 minutes after arrival at the hospital. I was also an early morning admission which helps immensely if you're not thinking about it all day while waiting. My only concern was actually whether I'd wake up having had the procedure completed as there was some doubt in my case whether it was going to be possible to complete it. That was the first thing I asked when I came to....and once I knew it was in fact done, I just lay back and relaxed for the rest of the day.

Very unlike my first go around at WLS where I actually made a run for the exit after hospital check-in. They did stop me, and I did have the surgery, but it was very touch and go that time. Best wishes heading into yours. I hope you have as smooth a run as I did.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, Aussie H said:

I'm another that had no nerves going into my surgery. I was well prepared and knew my surgeon was because we had a very different path to surgery than most. I was lucky I guess in that I was also under anesthesia within about 15 minutes of being taken into the pre-op area, and I was in that area about 20 minutes after arrival at the hospital. I was also an early morning admission which helps immensely if you're not thinking about it all day while waiting. My only concern was actually whether I'd wake up having had the procedure completed as there was some doubt in my case whether it was going to be possible to complete it. That was the first thing I asked when I came to....and once I knew it was in fact done, I just lay back and relaxed for the rest of the day.

Very unlike my first go around at WLS where I actually made a run for the exit after hospital check-in. They did stop me, and I did have the surgery, but it was very touch and go that time. Best wishes heading into yours. I hope you have as smooth a run as I did.

Thank you! It's so nice to get well wishes and encouragement. Outside of this site and my family, I don't mention the surgeon to hardly anyone because there's SO much negitivity about WLS and I get things like "I know this girl and she's gained every bit of her weight back!", or they make some snooty comment, "I sure hope you're making the right decision.", which was a carefully crafted way of saying that they didn't feel it was a good decision. I would never say that to someone. So, I just don't even talk about it with friends and people I know. Luckily,my family is supportive and 100% positive.

31 minutes ago, Lynn74 said:

Thank you! It's so nice to get well wishes and encouragement. Outside of this site and my family, I don't mention the surgeon to hardly anyone because there's SO much negitivity about WLS and I get things like "I know this girl and she's gained every bit of her weight back!", or they make some snooty comment, "I sure hope you're making the right decision.", which was a carefully crafted way of saying that they didn't feel it was a good decision. I would never say that to someone. So, I just don't even talk about it with friends and people I know. Luckily,my family is supportive and 100% positive.

I'm similar in the who to tell part. Prior to my surgery I only told a couple of my siblings. Friends knew I was having some gastric surgery due to health issues I was having prior, but although I knew bypass was the plan going in, I really wasn't sure it would happen so I decided it wasn't worth telling people the plan. This design was cemented when the first "friend" I did tell before surgery was very toxic in her response.... her reaction was enough. Even my family doctor was very negative about the surgeon's plan and unfortunately he still is being very difficult about followup testing protocols. We probably all know of people who've regained, and I do think it's actually handy knowledge to have if we're close to those people and can see how that regain has happened regardless of what they might be telling us about their eating habits. In my real life (as opposed to cyberspace life) I don't know a single person who hasn't regained the majority of their WLS weightloss, and I know so many folk who've had WLS. We don't need those levels of negativity prior to surgery though. I do tell people now because I find it shuts down the negative Nellies, plus it opens up conversations with others that could benefit from WLS themselves. I think the very real benefit of this forum is actually dealing with people who've had real and long term success who are happy to share their advice and struggles to maintain their weightloss.

The hardest thing I find these days about surgery related conversations is dealing with people heading into surgery who either are already talking about how they will eat around it, or with unrealistic views about how "easy" their upcoming journey will be. It's  really hard not to think they're heading into failure....but then again I have to ask myself who am I to judge their actions or decisions. I certainly wouldn't openly comment to anyone about their decisions because it's none of my business, but I get really angry at myself that I can't help but judge them in my head for their attitude. I find myself having to go back to my memory of an article I read prior to my surgery where a survey was done of bariatric surgeons regarding their success in determining which patients would have long term success and who would be longer term failures after their surgery. The results showed even they had very limited success with their predictions, so I tell myself there's no way I could know about others, and more importantly no way others can predict what my future will hold.

@Aussie H, you need to find a new PCP.  Mine is super supportive!  In fact she brought it up and she is so excited for me and will do all the things necessary post op for me!  Look for another since yours isn't being cooperative.

@Lynn74 I didn't tell many ppl.  I've told two ppl since and they were soooo thrilled for me!  I am very guarded about it and won't say it unless i feel it is safe to say. Honestly, I told my oldest dd (well, I didn't, my MiL did!) but I shouldn't have, as she hasn't spoken to me since.  TG is this week and she isn't coming :( 

3 minutes ago, CJireh said:

@Lynn74 I didn't tell many ppl.  I've told two ppl since and they were soooo thrilled for me!  I am very guarded about it and won't say it unless i feel it is safe to say. Honestly, I told my oldest dd (well, I didn't, my MiL did!) but I shouldn't have, as she hasn't spoken to me since.  TG is this week and she isn't coming :( 

Oh wow, I wonder why? That seems extreme. I am so sorry! 

41 minutes ago, CJireh said:

Honestly, I told my oldest dd (well, I didn't, my MiL did!) but I shouldn't have, as she hasn't spoken to me since.  TG is this week and she isn't coming :( 

I'm so sorry. I really thought she'd cone around after you had a good surgical experience. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

34 minutes ago, CJireh said:

@Aussie H, you need to find a new PCP.  Mine is super supportive!  In fact she brought it up and she is so excited for me and will do all the things necessary post op for me!  Look for another since yours isn't being cooperative.

It's not that easy where I live unfortunately. We have a very real doctor shortage in town and the nearest towns are an hours drive away. Plus we need a local doctor should we end up in hospital for some reason. I'm just hanging in with mine for now, desperately trying to educate him. Unfortunately all our doctors are professional immigrants, usually trained in India or thereabouts where bariatric surgeries are not by any stretch commonplace procedures. Changing from one to another will likely just shift the problem. It may well be a case of better the devil you know!

Sorry to hear of your daughter's attitude. Hopefully it will improve with time when she can realise how much healthier and happier you are. I'm actually seeing my oldest son this weekend for the first time in over a year. He's in for a shock. While he knows I've had surgery, I've had to pre-warn him that I look very different but that he doesn't need to worry because I'm healthy. My biggest concern is that I'm starting to look (skin wise) like his malnourished father did before he died. His dad hid his illness from the kids, so I'm very concerned he'll think I'm doing something similar. I'll definitely be covering up the loose skin while he's here. Last time we saw each other was the day we scattered his father's ashes. I'm about 100lbs lighter than then, so it would be easy for him to get that deja vu feeling.....I know even I get it sometimes myself when I see myself in a mirror.

3 hours ago, Aussie H said:

My biggest concern is that I'm starting to look (skin wise) like his malnourished father did before he died. His dad hid his illness from the kids, so I'm very concerned he'll think I'm doing something similar. I'll definitely be covering up the loose skin while he's here. Last time we saw each other was the day we scattered his father's ashes. I'm about 100lbs lighter than then, so it would be easy for him to get that deja vu feeling.....I know even I get it sometimes myself when I see myself in a mirror.

I'm sorry, @Aussie H. I'm glad you've spoken to your son before he shows up and sees you looking much thinner. Especially after the shock of finding out about the illness that was hidden from him before. Seeing just a hint of that image in your mother, or for you in yourself has got to be hard, even though it's for a positive reason: your improved health. Still hard to be reminded. 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:01 PM, Aussie H said:

It's not that easy where I live unfortunately. We have a very real doctor shortage in town and the nearest towns are an hours drive away. Plus we need a local doctor should we end up in hospital for some reason. I'm just hanging in with mine for now, desperately trying to educate him. Unfortunately all our doctors are professional immigrants, usually trained in India or thereabouts where bariatric surgeries are not by any stretch commonplace procedures. Changing from one to another will likely just shift the problem. It may well be a case of better the devil you know!

Sorry to hear of your daughter's attitude. Hopefully it will improve with time when she can realise how much healthier and happier you are. I'm actually seeing my oldest son this weekend for the first time in over a year. He's in for a shock. While he knows I've had surgery, I've had to pre-warn him that I look very different but that he doesn't need to worry because I'm healthy. My biggest concern is that I'm starting to look (skin wise) like his malnourished father did before he died. His dad hid his illness from the kids, so I'm very concerned he'll think I'm doing something similar. I'll definitely be covering up the loose skin while he's here. Last time we saw each other was the day we scattered his father's ashes. I'm about 100lbs lighter than then, so it would be easy for him to get that deja vu feeling.....I know even I get it sometimes myself when I see myself in a mirror.

Here's hoping your visit with your son went well. Best wishes to the two of you...

On 27/11/2017 at 6:31 AM, BurgundyBoy said:

Here's hoping your visit with your son went well. Best wishes to the two of you...

It went well. Thanks BB. He didn't mention how I looked at all, but we did get to calmly discuss that should I ever be diagnosed as terminally ill I won't hide it from him or his brother.  I hate that their dad did that, but the kids are over it even if I'm not.

4 hours ago, Aussie H said:

It went well. Thanks BB. He didn't mention how I looked at all, but we did get to calmly discuss that should I ever be diagnosed as terminally ill I won't hide it from him or his brother.  I hate that their dad did that, but the kids are over it even if I'm not.

I'm glad your son's visit went well, and that you had a good, calm discussion. Those are hard talks to have.