So I am a newbie and have my surgery date scheduled for December 16th in Mexico. 

I am beyond excited to change my life and do all the things that being obese prevents me from doing. 

Any tips or good vibes my way are greatly appreciated! Have a great day! 

Welcome to Thinner Times Artie!

Read all you can on the forum, ask questions and join in the fun.

Hi Artie. Good vibes, coming at you! I'm having my sleeve surgery next week. It won't be long for you either, and I look forward to following your progress.

Welcome!

Thank you @cinwa I am happy to be here!

Thank you! Good luck on your surgery @Boho Rosy I look forward to seeing how it goes fro you as well. 

Welcome! @Jen581791 and @NerdyLady had surgeries in Mexico this year. Be sure to check out their posts especially. 

1 hour ago, Gretta said:

Welcome! @Jen581791 and @NerdyLady had surgeries in Mexico this year. Be sure to check out their posts especially. 

Thanks for the shout out, @Gretta. Yes, @Artie, @NerdyLady and I can hopefully be of some help to you. Where are you having your surgery done? I had mine in Monterrey, and had a really good experience, all around. 

4 hours ago, Artie said:

So I am a newbie and have my surgery date scheduled for December 16th in Mexico. 

I am beyond excited to change my life and do all the things that being obese prevents me from doing. 

Any tips or good vibes my way are greatly appreciated! Have a great day! 

Welcome! Lots for people here to suggest. Where do you want to start?

Welcome! :)

Welcome, @Artie! Happy to have you here!

4 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Thanks for the shout out, @Gretta. Yes, @Artie, @NerdyLady and I can hopefully be of some help to you. Where are you having your surgery done? I had mine in Monterrey, and had a really good experience, all around. 

Hi @Artie. Welcome to our crew. :) Like @Jen581791, I had surgery in Mexico. Where will you have your surgery? I had mine in Tijuana and could not be more pleased with my medical treatment. If I can be of any help, please let me know!

Welcome, Artie. Sending all of the positive vibes I can muster your way. I have not yet had surgery because I am still meeting insurance requirements. I have read nothing but good things about Dr Alvarez though.

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

Welcome!

Thank you all! @NerdyLady @Jen581791 I will be having it in Piedras Negras. Just across the border from eagle pass. 

I am super excited and can't wait to be bale to go hiking or walk fro more than 5 minutes before my back tightens up. 

17 minutes ago, Artie said:

Thank you all! @NerdyLady @Jen581791 I will be having it in Piedras Negras. Just across the border from eagle pass. 

I am super excited and can't wait to be bale to go hiking or walk fro more than 5 minutes before my back tightens up. 

Very exciting! Just across the border is good - an easier trip home. I had a bit of a bus ride, and it was OK, but would have been nicer without ;) 

You'll be out hiking and walking in no time - just follow doctor's orders and start the exercise slowly but steadily, and you'll have an amazingly successful 2018! 

Thanks @Jen581791, I really hope so. How did you deal with after care since I have read a lot that hospitals are skeptical about treating vsg's done in another country?

Edited by Artie

1 minute ago, Artie said:

Thanks @Jen581791, I really hope so. How did you deal with after care since I have read a lot that hospitals are skeptical about treating vsg's done in another country?

I have very luckily not needed any aftercare. I have gone to a regular GP for blood tests every 3 months (need to do that again soon!), but haven't had any issues. I made sure I was covered for the various types of emergencies that could arise, and was within a short drive of somewhere that had a surgeon who was qualified, but didn't actually ask anyone about whether they would do the work if I had a problem. I was a very low risk patient, and also had some luck. My GP turned up her nose a bit at the idea of going to Mexico, but she and I don't go back further than my op, so I'm not much bothered, and she was fine about ordering the blood work. I'm now far away from home and need to find someone else to do the blood work going forward. 

My surgeon looks at all of my blood test results and is keeping track of them. I can call anytime for advice or information, and the nutritionist is also at my disposal by phone or email. Since I haven't had any issues, it's been a fairly distant relationship.

If you have a GP you've been going to, probably a good idea to ask beforehand about "what if" sorts of issues. 

5 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I have very luckily not needed any aftercare. I have gone to a regular GP for blood tests every 3 months (need to do that again soon!), but haven't had any issues. I made sure I was covered for the various types of emergencies that could arise, and was within a short drive of somewhere that had a surgeon who was qualified, but didn't actually ask anyone about whether they would do the work if I had a problem. I was a very low risk patient, and also had some luck. My GP turned up her nose a bit at the idea of going to Mexico, but she and I don't go back further than my op, so I'm not much bothered, and she was fine about ordering the blood work. I'm now far away from home and need to find someone else to do the blood work going forward. 

My surgeon looks at all of my blood test results and is keeping track of them. I can call anytime for advice or information, and the nutritionist is also at my disposal by phone or email. Since I haven't had any issues, it's been a fairly distant relationship.

If you have a GP you've been going to, probably a good idea to ask beforehand about "what if" sorts of issues. 

I see. thank you so much! I barely joined and you guys are already a bunch of help. 

44 minutes ago, Artie said:

@Artie I second what Jen said above. My current medical care is provided by various doctors in the US (endo, GYN, GP, etc) and if I have specific questions, I call my surgeon's office. I would like to find someone local to follow up my bariatric care but I could realistically stay with my Mexican doctor forever. If Piedras Negras is close to your home, you may want to stay with your surgeon. I know I'd rather see my original surgeon, but that's because I'm a little anal retentive.   

I have had nothing but positive reactions from my healthcare team about my RNY. My ophthalmologist was so excited, I thought he was going to hurt himself. I had an office receptionist tell ask me if I watched the show "Botched" and that I should be careful. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  She was the only naysayer. Everyone else has been supportive. 

Edited by NerdyLady

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Artie I second what Jen said above. My current medical care is provided by various doctors in the US (endo, GYN, GP, etc) and if I have specific questions, I call my surgeon's office. I would like to find someone local to follow up my bariatric care but I could realistically stay with my Mexican doctor forever. If Piedras Negras is close to your home, you may want to stay with your surgeon. I know I'd rather see my original surgeon, but that's because I'm a little anal retentive.   

I have had nothing but positive reactions from my healthcare team about my RNY. My ophthalmologist was so excited, I thought he was going to hurt himself. I had an office receptionist tell ask me if I watched the show "Botched" and that I should be careful. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  She was the only naysayer. Everyone else has been supportive. 

Yes my soon to be surgeon is only 5 hours away. not the closest but not too far either in case I need him. 

How long was your recovery?

6 hours ago, Artie said:

Yes my soon to be surgeon is only 5 hours away. not the closest but not too far either in case I need him. 

How long was your recovery?

I felt fatigued for the first six weeks. I don't think I am the norm. I was walking one or two miles a day but I was exhausted when I came home. 

I wasn't in pain after the surgery. I was "uncomfortable" for many weeks. I had gas pains, a slight pain under my rib and irritation when I coughed. All very irritating sensations but little to no pain. Maybe @CJireh can chime in since she just had surgery? :)

Hope this helps!

Welcome @Artie! There is a plethora of info and support on TTF. When I first joined I read and read and read postings and blogs. Also checked out all the transformation pics too, which was exciting to see the change in people...just not the weight, but looking at a glimmer in the eye, a glow of pride, and a big air of confidence with the huge smiles! It's truly something I hope everyone will get to experience! This group is outstanding and you couldn't pick of better group of people for support. If you haven't already, be sure to put your surgery date on the calendar, so we can all cheer you on and celebrate your big day! Congratulations!!! 

Edited by Trish13

11 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

I felt fatigued for the first six weeks. I don't think I am the norm. I was walking one or two miles a day but I was exhausted when I came home. 

I wasn't in pain after the surgery. I was "uncomfortable" for many weeks. I had gas pains, a slight pain under my rib and irritation when I coughed. All very irritating sensations but little to no pain. Maybe @CJireh can chime in since she just had surgery? :)

Hope this helps!

I see, I don't really have that much PTO available from my job so I will probably only be able to recover for 4 days. I have a desk job so I'm hoping I can do it. 

10 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Welcome @Artie! There is a plethora of info and support on TTF. When I first joined I read and read and read postings and blogs. Also checked out all the transformation pics too, which was exciting to see the change in people...just not the weight, but looking at a glimmer in the eye, a glow of pride, and a big air of confidence with the huge smiles! It's truly something I hope everyone will get to experience! This group is outstanding and you couldn't pick of better group of people for support. If you haven't already, be sure to put your surgery date on the calendar, so we can all cheer you on and celebrate your big day! Congratulations!!! 

Thank you, I have been reading posts for like 2 weeks now (hope that doesn't sound like a stalker) and you guys are really nice and supportive to one another. I am happy to be here and be part of that support. 

16 minutes ago, Artie said:

I see, I don't really have that much PTO available from my job so I will probably only be able to recover for 4 days. I have a desk job so I'm hoping I can do it. 

I think the recovery time may be a little less for sleeve vs. bypass generally.  I was off work for 2 weeks but could have gone back earlier if I had needed to.  I went Christmas shopping 4 days post-op so I think for most a desk job is doable.  You may be tired when you get home though, so limit what you have to do in the evenings if possible.

2 minutes ago, msmarymac said:

I think the recovery time may be a little less for sleeve vs. bypass generally.  I was off work for 2 weeks but could have gone back earlier if I had needed to.  I went Christmas shopping 4 days post-op so I think for most a desk job is doable.  You may be tired when you get home though, so limit what you have to do in the evenings if possible.

I feel like I will be able to manage discomfort and pain, its the fatigue I am worried about. I am a college student and a full time employee so my days consist of work and homework. Thankfully the sleeve will be during Christmas break so I can just rest after work. 

Thank you for your response :)