Missmyeshia17

Whats next after the Sugery Date is scheduled?

My doctor says on my next appointment he will give me a surgery date? Can someone give me an idea of what happens after surgery date is scheduled??

I will have VSG surgery in 5 days. Once I received my surgery date I had to take a pre-op class, started my pre-op liquid diet (11 days total), and had to have a pre-op history and physical  done. I still am doing the pre-op liquid diet until surgery then after surgery I will have the same diet for 1 - 2 weeks. This seems to be pretty common but all surgeons are different and may require different things.

I'm going to tag @Gretta,  since the two of you have the same doctor! I bet she'll be able to give you a pretty good answer. :-) 

Hi! After you get your date, you will be given a bunch of prescriptions to fill. The hospital will call you to set up a pre-op appointment (where they give you your abdominal binder, surgical body wash, & incentive spirometer (to encourage you to breathe deeply). They also take a detailed medical history and do blood and urine tests.).

A couple nights before, you will start washing your sheets every night and washing yourself with the surgical body wash. You'll take one xanax the two nights before surgery and two the day of. The surgeon also has you drink Gatorade prior to surgery.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thank you Gretta!

As you're one of Dr. Callery's recent patients, Missmyeshia17 got the exact information she was looking for.

As usual, @Gretta has the perfect answer!  

That having been said, from a bigger point of view what happens after you receive a surgery date is that you will come to realize that your weight loss surgery really is going to happen and that (if you stick to the post op food plan) the surgery will help you lose your extra weight and become a thin, healthy and much more active person for the rest of your life. It is a truly liberating and joyous thought to realize that your days of being an overweight person will really be ending. As those of us who have had weight loss surgery can tell you, life is amazingly much more wonderful at a lower weight. 

We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey. :)

4 hours ago, Gretta said:

You'll take one xanax the two nights before surgery and two the day of

Is the Xanax for anxiety?  I never even got offered it on my plan :/

1 hour ago, TammyP said:

Is the Xanax for anxiety?  I never even got offered it on my plan :/

Yes. To help with anxiety, sleep, prevent people from backing out, and evidence it speeds healing. Love my doc! Ha!

On 11/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, Gretta said:

Yes. To help with anxiety, sleep, prevent people from backing out, and evidence it speeds healing. Love my doc! Ha!

Wow @Gretta  Dr. Callery has very high standards. An abundance of caution is worth its weight in gold. 

@Missmyeshia17 Welcome aboard. Gretta is quite helpful and friendly to boot. You should look at her as a role model. Best of  luck to you!

3 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Wow @Gretta  Dr. Callery has very high standards. An abundance of caution is worth its weight in gold. 

@Missmyeshia17 Welcome aboard. Gretta is quite helpful and friendly to boot. You should look at her as a role model. Best of  luck to you!

You are too kind, @NerdyLady!

Thank you all for responding it means so much. What exactly is the pre op diet? I know they told me not to eat breads and to read labels look for food under 10g that's all not much of a diet any ideas?? The last time I seen Dr. Callery he said that my abdomen was fine and that u don't need to lose anymore weight and to not gain anymore weight. Any tips?? 

Most of us had to lose weight (and keep it off) in our run-up to surgery so you are lucky in that respect.  But this is a good time to start as you mean to go on.  Lean meat and fish, no fried food, lots of fresh vegetables and minimal carbs.  

I'm sure you'll be given written instructions for your post-op diet.

17 minutes ago, Missmyeshia17 said:

Thank you all for responding it means so much. What exactly is the pre op diet? I know they told me not to eat breads and to read labels look for food under 10g that's all not much of a diet any ideas?? The last time I seen Dr. Callery he said that my abdomen was fine and that u don't need to lose anymore weight and to not gain anymore weight. Any tips?? 

Hi - I also was told I didn't need to lose any weight, but I was asked to "try on" the diet before surgery by doing just what you are talking about - high protein, low carbs, lots of veggies - lost a little over 10 pounds in the 2 months before surgery. I wasn't consciously trying to reduce-weight diet but was happy to see that eating a reasonable diet led to some weight loss. It helped me to get into the habit of weighing my food portions, counting my calories and keeping track of things. That is pretty important since it helps keep you honest. So, a bit of weight loss, and the habit of tracking my portions, were the two benefits here. 

I had a third benefit from the pre-op diet. I had begun to panic over my sleep apnea symptoms (I couldn't tolerate the face mask) which included a racing, irregular heart and frequently waking up in the night. I felt like I was hurtling towards some Very Bad Place. The weight loss curbed that - so for me the pre-op diet had a real benefit in the way I felt. For a lot of people I think they just see the pre-op diet as just an annoyance. The truth is there is some statistical benefit as the surgery is always a bit safer the lower your weight, the less apnea you have, the better your hypertension or diabetes.... and for me I could really "feel" the benefit. A lot of times with obesity the bad consequences occur with just a little bit higher weight, and the benefits of loss occur with just a little bit of weight loss.  

Then a few days before surgery you'll be asked to go on a liquid diet - surgeons don't want you to have any stuff in your intestines. Bit of variation with what the surgeons ask, but usually it's for the 2 days beforehand. My surgery was on a Tuesday, and of course on Saturday I had a 'last meal' dinner party where I ate BBQ ribs - at least ribs don't have many carbs! It was what I wanted emotionally but it also allowed me to say goodbye to the ribs for a few months...;)

I always recommend very low carb because that's what works for me. It's also good to practice getting 60 grams of protein a day. I think they really just don't want you to go on a farewell tour, eating all the foods you won't be having after surgery. I wasn't put on a pre-op diet either, but got seriously low carb and lost 31 pounds in the three-month wait between my initial appointment and surgery. I'm glad I did that.